BBC pundits forecast for season

Inter Yer Nan

They all have Liverpool in the top 2 but if Klopp fails to finish there most of them will make excuses for him. That's guaranteed.
Yeah I think so too. I bet if we come 2nd and half the gap and win a domestic cup Jose will get far more shit than Klopp if they came 4th again IMO.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
City finished 4th when Leicester, one of the greatest underdog stories in living memory, won the league. Liverpool finished 4th when City, one of the actual best teams in living memory, did it. there's a difference. or is that making stuff up too?
What? That just proves my point!

Liverpool finished 4th in a league with a far better champion than City finished 4th against. Who looks the better team in that comparison exactly?

Think you're getting that one a bit wrong there mate.

Canagel

It's actually disgusting no matter what for a fan of a club who always fights for the title to settle for just top 4 even before the season starts, even if you truly believe you can't win the league why would you say something like that? downright pessimistic and pointless, ''I'd take top 4 right now' wtf? I wouldn't have a problem for a fan of Spurs or Arsenal saying it but come on really? I would imagine even in worst days with Moyes and Lvg people would still believe in a title win for each next season otherwise what's the point..

In no way would any of you truly take a top 4 place right now if you are given the choice, it's just worthless words and more Mourinho out agenda, meh..
We're not winning the title. We have to be realistic. It's a lot easier to mentally prepare for that now because this club have let us down for the last 5 years. I don't want to end up dissapointed at the end of the season. Expectations are at an all time low so for me fighting for the title would be a pleasant surprise. I'd take top 4 right now.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think United fans are being a bit too much pessimistic. Best keeper in the world, formidable starting midfield (Pogba, Fred and Matic), great striker and a manager who's sides don't concede much. City are rightly favorites but we should comfortably finish in top 4.

We have a better chance in the cups though where the variance of one-off results counts for more. Fool's game predicting who will win those at the end of the day.

Chairman Woodie

I agree, United should finish in the top four. But I am not feeling optimistic about the season ahead. The lack of preparation due to the World Cup, and the poor transfer window dampens my hope of United winning any major trophy. I just hope I am wrong.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't really get how people figure Spurs will leapfrog United and pull away from a team Chelsea who underperformed last season, when Spurs have the same players and manager as last year and no reason to logically expect a significant improvement.

It simply isn't going to happen unless united have a Moyes style disaster year and I don't see it. The only logic for that is wanting it to happen rather than thinking it will.

Inter Yer Nan

I think United fans are being a bit too much pessimistic. Best keeper in the world, formidable starting midfield (Pogba, Fred and Matic), great striker and a manager who's sides don't concede much. City are rightly favorites but we should comfortably finish in top 4.

We have a better chance in the cups though where the variance of one-off results counts for more. Fool's game predicting who will win those at the end of the day.
Plus Sanchez who's bedded into life at the club now. I just think we have bigger gaping weaknesses in the team than should be the case given the investment and that it's Jose's 3rd year. Crossing our fingers hoping Shaw finally pull his finger out, same for Martial and then you've got our lack of proper dynamic quality from the right side of midfield. If Martial gets back to what he showed under LVG, Shaw shows pre-injury form, Alexis plays on the right and Dalot has a season like TAA then we could be talking but really feels the stars have to align for us to be where we want to be unfortunately.

It's not as bad as people are saying though I agree and I can't see us lower than third. I think we'll come 2nd or perhaps 3rd but a deep CL run and maybe a domestic cup.

AlwaysRed66

I don't really get how people figure Spurs will leapfrog United and pull away from a team Chelsea who underperformed last season, when Spurs have the same players and manager as last year and no reason to logically expect a significant improvement.

It simply isn't going to happen unless united have a Moyes style disaster year and I don't see it. The only logic for that is wanting it to happen rather than thinking it will.
Why. Chelsea won the league in 2014-15, & the following season went into meltdown due to the manager, who was sacked with them near the relegation zone. Anything can happen, even more so as the said manager is now ours.

Treble

Except that they are not going to lose so many points due to playing at Wembley and that several of their star players are relatively young and could get better.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Except that they are not going to lose so many points due to playing at Wembley and that several of their star players are relatively young and could get better.
Eh.. you know they've never played at the (and here's a hint) new stadium before, either?

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Skysports has us finishing outside top 4 except for Merson :wenger:

Treble

Chelsea will have a very good team apart from the CF. But it is not set in stone that Morata will flop again. If they get Kovacic, their first XI will be pretty good actually. Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Hazard, Willian....look tasty.

Kag

I'm surprised (not surprised) it's only 20 out of 24. Anything other than top four with this current squad would be an abomination of management.

Infra-red

Chelsea will have a very good team apart from the CF. But it is not set in stone that Morata will flop again. If they get Kovacic, their first XI will be pretty good actually. Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Hazard, Willian....look tasty.
On paper it's the third best XI after City and Liverpool, with many of the same players who won the league at a canter just a year ago. Counting against them however will be having to adapt to Sarri's style of football and contending with the Europa League.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We are (based on last season) the worst of the top 6 for shots on target and also allow the most shots against us, eventually those underlying statistics will catch up with us unless we improve. 6th is a fair prediction considering we haven't improved the squad.

LoneStar

I had very high expectations for the last two seasons because it felt like we could win the title.

But based on City last year, and on the transfer window of us and Liverpool, I have little to no expectations of winning this year. Sad but true.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Really sad that even before the start of the season not a single person (including most of our fans) believe that United have a chance at winning the league. This is a huge indictment of Jose as well as Woodward

Infra-red

Really sad that even before the start of the season not a single person (including most of our fans) believe that United have a chance at winning the league. This is a huge indictment of Jose as well as Woodward
I'm sure someone somewhere must believe it. There's always one.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
We are (based on last season) the worst of the top 6 for shots on target and also allow the most shots against us, eventually those underlying statistics will catch up with us unless we improve. 6th is a fair prediction considering we haven't improved the squad.
I remember reading an article in summer 2017 predicting City's title based on their xG and chances created statistics. They can be very predictive in the right context.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I remember reading an article in summer 2017 predicting City's title based on their xG and chances created statistics. They can be very predictive in the right context.
Current predictions based on xG make grim reading for us:

Infra-red

The underlying performance stats all had Spurs and Liverpool outperforming us last season. I think De Gea is probably the main reason we've been able to buck that trend and we need him to have another great year if we're to continue to do it.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Why. Chelsea won the league in 2014-15, & the following season went into meltdown due to the manager, who was sacked with them near the relegation zone. Anything can happen, even more so as the said manager is now ours.
Well because apart form all the idiots on here with their Mourinnho based agendas, there's no sign of it happening. Moyes was a massive regime change, and Jose's last season at Chelsea followed him having an actual 6 month meltdown despite winning the league, and then going nuts on the opening day. All he's done at United is moan a lot, which he's done at every fecking club he's been at. Chelsea's players were also a major contributing factor.

It COULD happen, but it's a weird thing to just predict based on, well, nothing.

Which players are going to get better?

Why is playing at Wembley, where they had played some home games in Europe the season before a disadvantage to playing at a new stadium, where they have literally never even set foot on the pitch?

What basis is there to suggest they will improve by changing nothing, when this has resulted in them not improving and in fact if anything getting slightly worse, for the previous two years?

Treble

Which players are going to get better?

Why is playing at Wembley, where they had played some home games in Europe the season before a disadvantage to playing at a new stadium, where they have literally never even set foot on the pitch?

What basis is there to suggest they will improve by changing nothing, when this has resulted in them not improving and in fact if anything getting slightly worse, for the previous two years?
Sanchez and Alli are 22, Dier 24, Kane 25, Davies 25, Aurier 25, Eriksen 26 and Son 26. Any of them can get better. Only Eriksen and Son have entered their prime but at 26 they can improve further. These are 8 first teamers, 6 of them 25 y.o. or younger.

Why are they going to feel better at their stadium than at Wembley? Well, it's not rocket science.

The White Pele

The media are going to be unbearable as the season goes on if there's any chance of us missing the top four. Wenger and Conte are gone now so they will see Jose as the manager most likely to fall.

norm87cro

Let's put things into perspective. We've finished 2nd last season quite behind City but also quite better than the rest. We had a few dodgy summer frendlies and now we can be happy with a top 4 finish according to the pundits?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think this season's top six/top four is relatively predictable.

It's next season (2019/20) that will be uber competitive -- when a whole bunch of coaches will be well into their 2nd season. Then it maybe eight teams vying for the top six.

99withaflake

On the whole, that's pretty fair. No media bias.

3rd or 4th is our most likely finish, which is what they're generally predicting.

A big thank you to Dion Dublin who thinks we'll finish 2nd. Such a friendly, optimistic guy.

Popovic

On paper they look good. Where will the goals come from? Certainly not the midfield. They'll be reliant on Morata, Hazard and Willian to score goals.

VJ1762

Even though the situation looks grim, I still think that we will win the league. Does it sound delusional?

HisDudeness

Supports
Rangers
think it's fairly accepted that the City team that finished 4th was much better than the position indicated. in any case, i wasn't talking about City, was I? I was talking about Liverpool, and Liverpool will not go from barely making the top 4 to title winners.
klopp one of the best around so never say never

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Sanchez and Alli are 22, Dier 24, Kane 25, Davies 25, Aurier 25, Eriksen 26 and Son 26. Any of them can get better. Only Eriksen and Son have entered their prime but at 26 they can improve further. These are 8 first teamers, 6 of them 25 y.o. or younger.

Why are they going to feel better at their stadium than at Wembley? Well, it's not rocket science.
Dier, Alli, Davies and Aurier have shown no signs of improving. Sanchez would only pay instead of one of teir other centrebacks who are significant;y better than him (one of who they might yet lose anyway). Kane and Eriksen are already their two best players and Son isn't really that good and isn't available to them for at least part of the season anyway. You don't get anywhere by changing nothing.

This argument is also self defeating since all the whining on here is based on us not signing anyone and therefore not improving. Except we actually have signed someone. We also have players in the same age bracket as above who you can apply the exact same logic to. Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Lukaku, Shaw, Bailly, Fred, etc. So again, explain how this argument ONLY applies to Tottenham? Did they not finish comfortably below us last season?

If it's not rockket science why can't you answer it?

There is no reason to logically think Spurs will do better than last season or that United will be significantly worse. Liverpool have signed half a team so you would expect something different. CHelsea and Arsenall have new managers so again there's an unknown element. Spurs are exactly the same and United have not made significannt changes one way or the other. If you stay still you generally can be expected to stay still unless others overtake you.