BBC pundits forecast for season

meamth

I kind of agreed with some their statement about our club.

Void of harmony, attacking prowess and luck.

We are a 50/50 club going into a new season compared to others. It's understandable why Liverpool are favorites ahead of us.

RoyH1

I think that Dion Dublin will be the one to get it right. For all our limitations in the transfer market, we have a solid squad and Jose is quite simply better than Klopp at squeezing those points out of lower table sides. We won't entertain and win no neutral hearts, but we'll be up there.

Dike_Manc

Really can't dispute the overall forecasts but it's still a hard pill to swallow. As usual we will be in for a few surprises.

Treble

Dier, Alli, Davies and Aurier have shown no signs of improving. Sanchez would only pay instead of one of teir other centrebacks who are significant;y better than him (one of who they might yet lose anyway). Kane and Eriksen are already their two best players and Son isn't really that good and isn't available to them for at least part of the season anyway. You don't get anywhere by changing nothing.

This argument is also self defeating since all the whining on here is based on us not signing anyone and therefore not improving. Except we actually have signed someone. We also have players in the same age bracket as above who you can apply the exact same logic to. Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Lukaku, Shaw, Bailly, Fred, etc. So again, explain how this argument ONLY applies to Tottenham? Did they not finish comfortably below us last season?

If it's not rockket science why can't you answer it?

There is no reason to logically think Spurs will do better than last season or that United will be significantly worse. Liverpool have signed half a team so you would expect something different. CHelsea and Arsenall have new managers so again there's an unknown element. Spurs are exactly the same and United have not made significannt changes one way or the other. If you stay still you generally can be expected to stay still unless others overtake you.
I didn't say anything about United.

I predict that Spurs will do better this season, at home too. And the reasons for my prediction are good for me. You disagree. That's fine, what's your prediction about Spurs then? If it is wrong, will you admit that your reasoning wasn't good?

We are less predictable for me. Could do better than last season in terms of points but also much worse due to a Jose meltdown.

edgar allan

Well because apart form all the idiots on here with their Mourinnho based agendas, there's no sign of it happening. Moyes was a massive regime change, and Jose's last season at Chelsea followed him having an actual 6 month meltdown despite winning the league, and then going nuts on the opening day. All he's done at United is moan a lot, which he's done at every fecking club he's been at. Chelsea's players were also a major contributing factor.

It COULD happen, but it's a weird thing to just predict based on, well, nothing.

Which players are going to get better?

Why is playing at Wembley, where they had played some home games in Europe the season before a disadvantage to playing at a new stadium, where they have literally never even set foot on the pitch?

What basis is there to suggest they will improve by changing nothing, when this has resulted in them not improving and in fact if anything getting slightly worse, for the previous two years?
Your right. It is a missed opportunity for Spurs. They have the first 11 to compete with us but without the strength in depth. As a result they always fade at the end of the season. As a result it would take a total meltdown from us to miss out on 4th place.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I didn't say anything about United.

I predict that Spurs will do better this season, at home too. And the reasons for my prediction are good for me. You disagree. That's fine, what's your prediction about Spurs then? If it is wrong, will you admit that your reasoning wasn't good?

We are less predictable for me. Could do better than last season in terms of points but also much worse due to a Jose meltdown.
I think Spurs will be very similar to last time out. Good at times but nothing to give them an edge when it matters. There's no reason for the three teams who finished above them to not reasonably expect to do so again. If anything I think they'll be looking over their shoulder as they've just gone too many seasons without trying to address their limitations.

With us if I had to guess I would say an uninspiring start but we'll pick up and be around where we were last season...but again there's nothing significantly different enough to expect more than that, and seeing as we basically moped our way through two thirds of last season and still picked up results I don't really see us doing that much worse.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It's actually disgusting no matter what for a fan of a club who always fights for the title to settle for just top 4 even before the season starts, even if you truly believe you can't win the league why would you say something like that? downright pessimistic and pointless, ''I'd take top 4 right now' wtf? I wouldn't have a problem for a fan of Spurs or Arsenal saying it but come on really? I would imagine even in worst days with Moyes and Lvg people would still believe in a title win for each next season otherwise what's the point..

In no way would any of you truly take a top 4 place right now if you are given the choice, it's just worthless words and more Mourinho out agenda, meh..
you says pessimist.. I say realist. as for your last sentence, clearly many would, as they have said here. but you are allowed to think we wil win the quadruple i you want

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yeah I think so too. I bet if we come 2nd and half the gap and win a domestic cup Jose will get far more shit than Klopp if they came 4th again IMO.
I am fairly sure that if Liverpool finish outside the top, Klopp will go (either pushed or on his own). And the same may be true for Jose

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I agree, United should finish in the top four. But I am not feeling optimistic about the season ahead. The lack of preparation due to the World Cup, and the poor transfer window dampens my hope of United winning any major trophy. I just hope I am wrong.
this. I said this elsewhere and got crucified. Mind you, it's better explained here

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I don't really get how people figure Spurs will leapfrog United and pull away from a team Chelsea who underperformed last season, when Spurs have the same players and manager as last year and no reason to logically expect a significant improvement.

It simply isn't going to happen unless united have a Moyes style disaster year and I don't see it. The only logic for that is wanting it to happen rather than thinking it will.
there is no logic to that statement. How can our realistic approach affect anything. That's like seeing if you believe hard enough that you are going to win the lottery will make it so

SteveTheRed

I find it so strange that they are all coming up with the excuse "It's not a happy camp" ...therefore come May 2019 we still be unhappy and finishing out of the top 4.

The easiest way to change the mood will be to win games, if we win the first 3 games they will all change their tune and wish they could change their predictions!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
there is no logic to that statement. How can our realistic approach affect anything. That's like seeing if you believe hard enough that you are going to win the lottery will make it so
I have no idea what you mean.

I don't see the logic in saying spurs are suddenly this season going to be better than United, when both clubs have the same manager and players as last season, and last season United finished comfortably above Spurs. The only tangible difference betwwen then and now being that United have made some attempt to improve their team while Spurs haven't.

It's like eating two different brands of crisps, deciding which was better. Then eating the same two brands again and for no reason expecting to prefer the other one.

edgar allan

I don't see the logic in saying spurs are suddenly this season going to be better than United, when both clubs have the same manager and players as last season, and last season United finished comfortably above Spurs. The only tangible difference betwwen then and now being that United have made some attempt to improve their team while Spurs haven't.

It's like eating two different brands of crisps, deciding which was better. Then eating the same two brands again and for no reason expecting to prefer the other one.
So by that logic it would be impossible for Chelsea to go from Pl winners to relegation form in the next season?
Confidence, moral, team spirit can all change the prospects of a team from one season to the next.
We will likely finish ahead of Spurs nrxt year however the gap will be significantly less than expected for the money spent on respective squads.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If we were to sign a proper right winger this summer the vast majority would have us up there challenging, very frustrating times.
Yes, hugely frustrating, because when you look at some of the players that we have: Sanchez, Pogba, Lukaku, de Gea we have the potential to be a terrific team.
We all know the positions that desperately needed to be addressed this Summer, and as a club, we have totally failed in that respect.

Signing a top class LB & RW could have unleashed this team to its fullest the potential.

Ciedre

Supports
Liverpool
It's hard to disagree with any of that really. We are entering the season as 3rd favorites. Expectations are much higher on Liverpool this time. Will be interesting to see how they cope with that pressure.
I see so many saying this, but pretty much none of the other fans I know thinks we will win.
Most are still happy if they see progress and us at least giving City a run for their money.
The faith in Klopp still seems to be endless, and I don't think there is any pressure of the sort so many others seem to think.

Infra-red

I see so many saying this, but pretty much none of the other fans I know thinks we will win.
Most are still happy if they see progress and us at least giving City a run for their money.
The faith in Klopp still seems to be endless, and I don't think there is any pressure of the sort so many others seem to think.
I would assume that any pressure would come from the board ("what is all of our spending buying us") and the media, who won't miss a chance to talk about the fact you have a world record fee goalkeeper & defender in your side, everytime you concede a silly goal.

Ciedre

Supports
Liverpool
I would assume that any pressure would come from the board ("what is all of our spending buying us") and the media, who won't miss a chance to talk about the fact you have a world record fee goalkeeper & defender in your side, everytime you concede a silly goal.
Silly goals will still happen, the playing style makes it nearly impossible to avoid at times.
But still, for the last half of the season, we were one of the best defensively.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

I think I might have put my comment in the wrong place, sorry!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
So by that logic it would be impossible for Chelsea to go from Pl winners to relegation form in the next season?
Confidence, moral, team spirit can all change the prospects of a team from one season to the next.
We will likely finish ahead of Spurs nrxt year however the gap will be significantly less than expected for the money spent on respective squads.
I was unaware Chelsea got relegated after winning the PL. In anycase I doubt anyone predicted that would happen. There was also a tangible difference in the moral of the squad and mourinho's behaviour, where he spent pretty much every week from half way through the season before moaning about strange referee conspiracies and generally being a nutter, and his teams performancestook a nosedive. I know people for some reason want to think he's doing the same now, but he really isn't. He's just being a moany git.

Jose also makes a fair point quite regularly about Spurs and Liverpool, where in they are praised and painted positively for doing less than what united get criticised for. Of the three teams, the only one that improved last season in terms of league performances and results, was United. Yet apparently we are going backwards so fast they are both going to leap frog us. When you take out the bias and spin and just look at the teams, performances and where they are, it makes little to no sense to predict this will happen.

edgar allan

I was unaware Chelsea got relegated after winning the PL. In anycase I doubt anyone predicted that would happen. There was also a tangible difference in the moral of the squad and mourinho's behaviour, where he spent pretty much every week from half way through the season before moaning about strange referee conspiracies and generally being a nutter, and his teams performancestook a nosedive. I know people for some reason want to think he's doing the same now, but he really isn't. He's just being a moany git.

Jose also makes a fair point quite regularly about Spurs and Liverpool, where in they are praised and painted positively for doing less than what united get criticised for. Of the three teams, the only one that improved last season in terms of league performances and results, was United. Yet apparently we are going backwards so fast they are both going to leap frog us. When you take out the bias and spin and just look at the teams, performances and where they are, it makes little to no sense to predict this will happen.
I don't think he has a fair point in the comparison with Spurs and to a lesser extent Liverpool last year given the large discrepancy in transfer resources and wages.
This year the gap between us and Liverpool has narrowed in transfers so it will be a fairer comparison and I have no doubt that Klopp will face criticism if they are 4th place next year.
If we have a poor start this year I am genuinely concerned that Jose will return to his form at the end of his Chelsea career.