BBC: 'Solskjaer was a player, he understands us' - Marcus Rashford opens up about Man Utd

He'sRaldo

Interesting to note, even if not surprising:

1. He says there is a marked difference in how Solskjær approaches training before games compared to Mourinho, in that Solskjær has the players focusing on our attack, ‘how we can hurt other teams’, rather than the opponents plans and how to stop them.

2. He says a another particular feature of Solskjær is that he has a long term plan that the player sunderatand and are behind. I guess he’s comparing to Van Gaal and Mourinho as that’s his experience.

3. He immediately acknowledges that our play at times have been ‘disjointed’ so far, and doesn’t put it down to lack of plan or players not behind the plans, but that the ‘young’ players look back at what they’ve done rather than what they should be doing (as I understand it). So it would seem they have had a few conversations in the wardrobe and traing ground about having style of play and game plans, and the difficulties of players of remembering it throughout all phases of a game or keeping composure, sticking to plans etc.

Views?
I think it makes sense.

After 3 years of Mourinho, it's only natural that the players default to what he's taught them when the going gets tough. For instance, Ashley young continues to play those long balls down the channels when out of ideas, something that was a staple of Jose's time here.

I think it will definitely take time to change from one extreme to the other yet again, as Mourinho and Ole seem to have differing styles. I don't think we'll see a fully-realized Ole style this season; for the most part, it will always be Ole/ Jose. I think next season is when we can fully see how exactly Ole would like us to play.

Fosu-Mens

Oh please.. He has changed a lot since he came and it´s a work in progress, we always knew that this wouldn´t be an instant success.Players like him thats great, plus we have been much better since the start of the season than we were last year under Jose. Give it time.
Since Moyes was fired we have been hearing about the "work in progress".

Under LVG i think it was true and one could actually see a playstyle, and the passing and technical ability for a number of the players improved.
Under Mourinho we all knew it was all or nothing. And most likely nothing given that his approach to football was outdated before his appointment. Players ability on the ball decreased and we were not able to play 4-5 passes without having problems controlling the ball.
OGS style of play is relient on individual moments and counter attacking. If teams does not allow us to counter and does not let PP or Martial get time on the ball, we are clueless on how to attack against a balanced defence. The players are not getting any better at handling the ball or passing. Most of our team got a passing ability closer to league 2 than the EPL. Even looking at teams like Burnley and how the average player there is able to play a ball without it being 2-3 feet of mark, on the wrong foot or the player receiving it needing an extra touch to get control of the ball... We are so far off being a technically able team in a game where being able to handle the ball has become the most important element in the game.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Needs to work on his heading ability. Still rough around the edges. There's time but little patience.

GazTheLegend

Yeah I edited my post. I guess there's no harm in having some positivity now and then. After all, you never know, a manager with a Championship level résumé understanding this group of mediocre players might be the key to success.

Remember when Rashford said something similar a couple of weeks before the season started, and we've all seen how that's turned out. But let's have more faith. Having more faith could also be the secret to success.
Oh feck off you obvious troll

SirMattlives

When young Rashford stepped up to take that penalty against PSG last year, I admired his guts and willingness to show up for a moment that would have huge impact. Seasoned pros have been known to shirk those responsibilities. I think he's a true United player and yes, he has potential to be a leader not just a talker.

John Blund

Under LVG i think it was true and one could actually see a playstyle, and the passing and technical ability for a number of the players improved.
Under Mourinho we all knew it was all or nothing. And most likely nothing given that his approach to football was outdated before his appointment. Players ability on the ball decreased and we were not able to play 4-5 passes without having problems controlling the ball.
OGS style of play is relient on individual moments and counter attacking. If teams does not allow us to counter and does not let PP or Martial get time on the ball, we are clueless on how to attack against a balanced defence. The players are not getting any better at handling the ball or passing. Most of our team got a passing ability closer to league 2 than the EPL. Even looking at teams like Burnley and how the average player there is able to play a ball without it being 2-3 feet of mark, on the wrong foot or the player receiving it needing an extra touch to get control of the ball... We are so far off being a technically able team in a game where being able to handle the ball has become the most important element in the game.
LVG's version of modern football was a weak copy of Pep's Barca. He got the ball possession part, but we weren't doing much more.

Mourinho had his playstyle - which for me is, even more, counter-attacking based than Ole, because Mourinho usually preferred letting the opponent play ball with no pressure to the midfield - making us compact, then having muscle in the center to deal with any crosses. If full-backs went forward, the deep midfielders never pushed further forward to the opponent's box.

We have more creative freedom under Ole. Players dare to take a risky pass, even though they might just hit 20 % of these kinds of passes. Pogba might be our biggest example of how increased freedom also leads to an increase in the number of chances created. I can't remember us being great against weaker teams, parking the bus under Moyes, LVG or Mourinho either. Our game against Leicester was probably the game with the lowest passing accuracy this season. We got 258/345 → 74,8%. Against Palace, we had 481/562 → 85.6 %. Palace had 141/231 → 61,0 %. It'd take the lesser passing accuracy and the 3 points any day.
We also have more box-play Ole than we did under Mourinho.

ReddBalls

Would you say any of the three managers before Ole created a great team and either build on it themselves or leave it to the next guy?

el3mel

Maybe he should stop talking and focus on his inconsistent performance. It's like one win is enough for our players to start talking if they have done it all and everything is rosy now before they lose, like what happened after Chelsea game.

el3mel

Yeah, I really don't get it. How can anyone not like the lad? Very down to earth and not at all egotistical as some would have you believe.
From what we see on the pitch, no, he's far from this.

Matst1

Damn, even I am shocked by some of the extremely negative and cynical comments on OGS/Rashford. This shit doesn't need to be repeated in every thread
Think we all just need to put them on ignore, don’t give them any fuel. It’s starting to get obvious who they are and what they’re trying to do. It’s really starting to ruin this place, the rot is setting in.

romufc

I watched the whole video. What did Rashford say that's captain material?
I guess you are expecting something on the line of "I want to be a future captain"?

Read between the lines, it is not about what he said rather how he speaks and comes across.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Interesting to note, even if not surprising:

1. He says there is a marked difference in how Solskjær approaches training before games compared to Mourinho, in that Solskjær has the players focusing on our attack, ‘how we can hurt other teams’, rather than the opponents plans and how to stop them.

2. He says a another particular feature of Solskjær is that he has a long term plan that the player sunderatand and are behind. I guess he’s comparing to Van Gaal and Mourinho as that’s his experience.

3. He immediately acknowledges that our play at times have been ‘disjointed’ so far, and doesn’t put it down to lack of plan or players not behind the plans, but that the ‘young’ players look back at what they’ve done rather than what they should be doing (as I understand it). So it would seem they have had a few conversations in the wardrobe and traing ground about having style of play and game plans, and the difficulties of players of remembering it throughout all phases of a game or keeping composure, sticking to plans etc.

Views?
These "young" players asked to get paid as established world class player, but want to be "understood" as "young player who's still inconsistent".

Last edited:

romufc

OGS style of play is relient on individual moments and counter attacking. If teams does not allow us to counter and does not let PP or Martial get time on the ball, we are clueless on how to attack against a balanced defence. The players are not getting any better at handling the ball or passing. Most of our team got a passing ability closer to league 2 than the EPL.
:lol::lol:

Watch alot of PL games and alot of goals for the top teams come from counter attack.

How teams counter attack has changed considerably over the years. Liverpool, Spurs, City all get a lot of counter attack goals. This doesn't mean site deep and wait to win the ball back in your penalty area.

However; high pressing, quick passing is part of counter attack. Liverpool are probably the best counter attack team, they win the ball back high up counter and score.

Most teams in the PL struggle to break defences down when they are balanced.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah I edited my post. I guess there's no harm in having some positivity now and then. After all, you never know, a manager with a Championship level résumé understanding this group of mediocre players might be the key to success.

Remember when Rashford said something similar a couple of weeks before the season started, and we've all seen how that's turned out. But let's have more faith. Having more faith could also be the secret to success.
Mods need to cut out the deadwood from the forums.

el3mel

and what have you seen? I've no idea what this opinion is based on and I've heard it a fair bit around the place. What's it based on?
How can he be "very down the earth" when he's selfish with most of the balls, tries to do ridiculous shots from weird angles and long free kicks and barely passing to teammates who are in better positions ? Talking in the press means nothing.

Rashford was a very down to earth kid in his first 1.5 seasons after he got promoted. Since 2017/2018 and he has become more and more selfish and annoying. He believed in his own hype which is obvious from how he started playing on the pitch. He was pretty likable during his early days, but now it's logical he's going to divide opinions.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I guess you are expecting something on the line of "I want to be a future captain"?

Read between the lines, it is not about what he said rather how he speaks and comes across.
How is the way he speaks and comes across any different to Lindelof, Mata, McTominay or Maguire? What has he said or in what tone has he spoken that segregates him from those I named?

It sounds a typical caf overreaction. Player gives a a nice interview, start coining the "future captain" phrase.

Cloud7

Future captain for me, IMO. A fantastic interview, and I am really looking forward to his progress during the coming years.
Agreed. From next season I think it'll be slabhead for a few years, then by the time he's being phased out of the team, Rashy will be in and around his prime, and ready to take up the captaincy.

vanderstar

I think it makes sense.

After 3 years of Mourinho, it's only natural that the players default to what he's taught them when the going gets tough. For instance, Ashley young continues to play those long balls down the channels when out of ideas, something that was a staple of Jose's time here.

I think it will definitely take time to change from one extreme to the other yet again, as Mourinho and Ole seem to have differing styles. I don't think we'll see a fully-realized Ole style this season; for the most part, it will always be Ole/ Jose. I think next season is when we can fully see how exactly Ole would like us to play.
Agree with both @Grande and @He'sRaldo. Nice to see Rashford speaking about things where there is so much speculation on the forum. I think Rashford will develop this year. 20 goals maybe.

romufc

How is the way he speaks and comes across any different to Lindelof, Mata, McTominay or Maguire? What has he said or in what tone has he spoken that segregates him from those I named?

It sounds a typical caf overreaction. Player gives a a nice interview, start coining the "future captain" phrase.
And if you look at threads that consist of players you mention, people have mentioned they have captaincy potential. What separates Rasford is his love for United.

Wolff

:lol::lol:

Watch alot of PL games and alot of goals for the top teams come from counter attack.

How teams counter attack has changed considerably over the years. Liverpool, Spurs, City all get a lot of counter attack goals. This doesn't mean site deep and wait to win the ball back in your penalty area.

However; high pressing, quick passing is part of counter attack. Liverpool are probably the best counter attack team, they win the ball back high up counter and score.

Most teams in the PL struggle to break defences down when they are balanced.
Exactly. It’s called transition, and is one of the most important aspects of successful teams today. And it’s a unit drill, not just putting square pegs in round holes. If you can open a banana you understand unit drills take, yes. Drills. And = time.

Bojan11

I think it makes sense.

Ashley Young has been doing aimless balls back to Fergie time.

Why do other clubs can change their style within months but for us it has to take years?

0le

Why do other clubs can change their style within months but for us it has to take years?
It is because the majority of our players are just very average and/or inconsistent. This is why our performances are very average and/or inconsistent. I think the manager can improve players up to a point, but there is only so much you can do.

arthurka

It´s the first time since Fergie retired that I feel we are going in the right direction. Not perfect by any stretch but it looks to be moving in that direction. Ole isn´t to blame for us not being technically good enough he is working on so many aspects since he came, fitness, pressing, quick counter attacking ect ect, plus he has helped getting some smiles back on the players faces. He has been here for 10 months lets give him another 10 and see where it takes us? But of course like you said we will need to improve and show some results on the way.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Think we all just need to put them on ignore, don’t give them any fuel. It’s starting to get obvious who they are and what they’re trying to do. It’s really starting to ruin this place, the rot is setting in.
Pure hatred has no place. So many morons cannot differentiate between criticizing constructively and being a dickhead for no reason

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
That leniency isn’t working for Rashford. It’s crept a huge deal of complacency

romufc

Exactly. It’s called transition, and is one of the most important aspects of successful teams today. And it’s a unit drill, not just putting square pegs in round holes. If you can open a banana you understand unit drills take, yes. Drills. And = time.
Transition / Counter attack is the same thing anyway.

I don't get your point tbh, are you commenting that we struggle to beat teams or ?

He'sRaldo

Other clubs don't change style so much as hire different managers with similar ideas. If they hire a manager with a totally different ethos, it's usually either a temporary appointment or a long term change.

Our problem has been hiring managers with totally different ideas and allowing them to buy their own players, which has left us with a mish-mash of ideas, and it shows on the pitch. For instance, Maguire and Lindelof play out of the back, but Young punts it long; so why the difference? Aren't they all under the same training? That's where you see the disjointed mish-mashness of previous regimes rearing its head, and those sorts of things are what Ole needs time to change, either with better coaching or better players.

That's why IMO Ole's appointment has got to be a long term change we're going for, even if he's not the one who finally completes it.

Last edited:

romufc

In any case, other clubs don't change style so much as hire different managers with similar ideas. If they hire a manager with a totally different ethos, it's usually either a temporary appointment or a long term change.
Yes because Chelsea appointed:

Anchelotti -> AVB
Rafa -> Jose
Jose -> GUs Hidink -> Conte
Conte -> Sarri

They all have the same ethos?

Wolff

It is easy to change style. But I can’t remember any team going into a successful era doing a quick transition. You have the player material and you have your philosophy as a club. You can do quick fixes, but then you have to be in line with the philosophy you take over for. It’s not that hard to understand mate. It’s the same in all aspects of life.

He'sRaldo

Yes because Chelsea appointed:

Anchelotti -> AVB
Rafa -> Jose
Jose -> GUs Hidink -> Conte
Conte -> Sarri

They all have the same ethos?
Of course there will be exceptions, I'm not speaking for every club on planet earth.

And as for Chelsea in particular, I think most of those were similar coaches, and quite a few were short term anyway.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think it makes sense.

To be perfectly honest I care not about style and by who or when.
In football, only one thing really matters and that is results.
Ok. Let's wait another year for Ole to establish his style.
Really. Another wasted year of achieving nothing. Not even the absolute minimum for a club like Manchester United. CL qualification.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And if you look at threads that consist of players you mention, people have mentioned they have captaincy potential. What separates Rasford is his love for United.
He's led into openly talking about the love for United that because he's academy. It's intertwined in the questions he gets. Straight off the bat Linekar was asking about how it was being in the academy and naturally Rashfords answer will revolve around an affiliation with the club. Whilst loving the club is necessary it's by no means sufficient to be captain material.

From the bold part of your post, it sounds like you'd agree he's not said or done anything different to the others, which makes me ask the question why we coin the term "future captain" so frivolously.