BBC: 'Solskjaer was a player, he understands us' - Marcus Rashford opens up about Man Utd

He'sRaldo

To be perfectly honest I care not about style and by who or when.
In football, only one thing really matters and that is results.
Ok. Let's wait another year for Ole to establish his style.
Really. Another wasted year of achieving nothing. Not even the absolute minimum for a club like Manchester United. CL qualification.
That's valid. It's down to viewpoints.

Some prefer to be entertained, others to win at all costs. You're the latter and that's valid as well. The question you would then ask is, Man Utd as an institution, which one do we fall under traditionally?

8thWonder

How can he be "very down the earth" when he's selfish with most of the balls, tries to do ridiculous shots from weird angles and long free kicks and barely passing to teammates who are in better positions ? Talking in the press means nothing.

Rashford was a very down to earth kid in his first 1.5 seasons after he got promoted. Since 2017/2018 and he has become more and more selfish and annoying. He believed in his own hype which is obvious from how he started playing on the pitch. He was pretty likable during his early days, but now it's logical he's going to divide opinions.
What a strange stance. Do people really think the way people play football is an insight into their disposition as a person? Do you actually believe that Rashford can't be down to earth because he tries to get his shots off early?

What if his coaches from when he was a kid have continued to relay the importance of taking responsibility in a football game and backing your own ability?

That's what people see when they talk of his leadership qualities, they see a 21 year old who tries his hardest to take responsibility in high pressure situations and someone who doesn't shirk from taking risks. Certainly not the finished article yet but Down to earth, works hard, takes responsibility, acountable and honest is what I see.

By all means bring to the table his low conversion rate and his relatively low consistency as a starting forward for manchester United as arguments against but to criticize his personality as some sort of insight into his in game management is genuinely weird.

Ashley Young has been doing aimless balls back to Fergie time.

Why do other clubs can change their style within months but for us it has to take years?
I can't think of one club who have significantly changed playing style and been consistent within a year to be honest. Especially if they don't have a host of world class talent at their disposal

el3mel

What a strange stance. Do people really think the way people play football is an insight into their disposition as a person? Do you actually believe that Rashford can't be down to earth because he tries to get his shots off early?

What if his coaches from when he was a kid have continued to relay the importance of taking responsibility in a football game and backing your own ability?

That's what people see when they talk of his leadership qualities, they see a 21 year old who tries his hardest to take responsibility in high pressure situations and someone who doesn't shirk from taking risks. Certainly not the finished article yet but Down to earth, works hard, takes responsibility, acountable and honest is what I see.

By all means bring to the table his low conversion rate and his relatively low consistency as a starting forward for manchester United as arguments against but to criticize his personality as some sort of insight into his in game management is genuinely weird.

I can't think of one club who have significantly changed playing style and been consistent within a year to be honest. Especially if they don't have a host of world class talent at their disposal
On the contrary, what can anyone see in Rashford that proves he's a "very down to earth" kid ? That he talked well in an interview ?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Enjoyed the interview but weird that Rashford could barely ever look him in the eye.

Wolff

Transition / Counter attack is the same thing anyway.

I don't get your point tbh, are you commenting that we struggle to beat teams or ?
No it’s not. It could be counter attack, and it could be numerous things. I gather you don’t watch chess?

Every team struggle to beat other teams. It happens every week. I’m commenting that it takes times to find balance and rhythm in those “numerous things” two things seems pretty balanced now. Defense and counter attack. And they are on good way on the other aspects. Lots of work and a few signings. Things a few on here don’t seem to understand..

romufc

He's led into openly talking about the love for United that because he's academy. It's intertwined in the questions he gets. Straight off the bat Linekar was asking about how it was being in the academy and naturally Rashfords answer will revolve around an affiliation with the club. Whilst loving the club is necessary it's by no means sufficient to be captain material.

From the bold part of your post, it sounds like you'd agree he's not said or done anything different to the others, which makes me ask the question why we coin the term "future captain" so frivolously.
I get what you mean, having had a thought about this post my comment I agree with you because:-

Most players go through training in dealing with media, what to say / what not to.

That on it's own is not enough to be a captain.

In my eyes a captain should be one of your best players.. having Ashley Young as captain is good in terms of he has been the longest serving but when you are in the dressing room giving a rocket or two up players, you need them to look up to you and respect you.

If the captain is misplacing passes and playing crap, he hasn't got the authority to have a go at others?

romufc

No it’s not. It could be counter attack, and it could be numerous things. I gather you don’t watch chess?

Every team struggle to beat other teams. It happens every week. I’m commenting that it takes times to find balance and rhythm in those “numerous things” two things seems pretty balanced now. Defense and counter attack. And they are on good way on the other aspects. Lots of work and a few signings. Things a few on here don’t seem to understand..
No, i do not watch chess and I have no idea what Chess has to do with football.

One is a board game that has pieces and is controlled by one person the other is a team game with instructions by the manager but he cannot control what individuals do on the pitch.

Just because commentators use the expression "game of chess" doesn't mean it is literally a game of chess.

Lots of work, few signings? yeah I do not buy that.. Every successful team has had alot of signings and a bit of work.

Ole has been in the job for 8 months, that is a long time in football.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I get what you mean, having had a thought about this post my comment I agree with you because:-

Most players go through training in dealing with media, what to say / what not to.

That on it's own is not enough to be a captain.

In my eyes a captain should be one of your best players.. having Ashley Young as captain is good in terms of he has been the longest serving but when you are in the dressing room giving a rocket or two up players, you need them to look up to you and respect you.

If the captain is misplacing passes and playing crap, he hasn't got the authority to have a go at others?
I agree with your view that captains should lead by example on the pitch.

However in the case of Young I think its passable, which I know is a contraversial point here. I think this because Young is poor now because his legs are gone, rather than him being a shit player in general. I recall the first season he operated from a full back role and shone in it. Prior to that he was displacing Di Maria with his attitude and work rate on the flank. I think if his mentality and leadership is there it's fair enough for the interim, although I certainly agree the captain should ideally show how its done on the pitch first.

McTominay and Maguire are two for the future in my eyes. It will likely be Maguire next season or something.

romufc

I agree with your view that captains should lead by example on the pitch.

However in the case of Young I think its passable, which I know is a contraversial point here. I think this because Young is poor now because his legs are gone, rather than him being a shit player in general. I recall the first season he operated from a full back role and shone in it. Prior to that he was displacing Di Maria with his attitude and work rate on the flank. I think if his mentality and leadership is there it's fair enough for the interim, although I certainly agree the captain should ideally show how its done on the pitch first.

McTominay and Maguire are two for the future in my eyes. It will likely be Maguire next season or something.
Yes, I am not saying young is shit because you are right, in his case his legs have gone.

His mentality and experience makes him a leader in the dressing room, this can also be utilised if he is not the captain.

In the sports I have played, people respect you because of your ability if you have a captain not performing, some will look around and say "yes we cannot give the ball away but you can?" I know that is not the right mentality but we have 25 odd players. No one would question someone who is scoring goals or leading by example.

At the moment, we dont have any one like that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yes, I am not saying young is shit because you are right, in his case his legs have gone.

His mentality and experience makes him a leader in the dressing room, this can also be utilised if he is not the captain.

In the sports I have played, people respect you because of your ability if you have a captain not performing, some will look around and say "yes we cannot give the ball away but you can?" I know that is not the right mentality but we have 25 odd players. No one would question someone who is scoring goals or leading by example.

At the moment, we dont have any one like that.
Yeah, you're right. I think that's whats stopping me from pushing Rashford as a candidate just yet. He's not consistent enough whereas say, McTominay is.

romufc

Yeah, you're right. I think that's whats stopping me from pushing Rashford as a candidate just yet. He's not consistent enough whereas say, McTominay is.
Agreed, but might be a bit too soon for McT to get the captaincy.

I think Maguire will probably be our next captain.

Tarrou

On the contrary, what can anyone see in Rashford that proves he's a "very down to earth" kid ? That he talked well in an interview ?
it honestly sounds like you don't know what down to earth means

but I think you do

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
That's valid. It's down to viewpoints.

Some prefer to be entertained, others to win at all costs. You're the latter and that's valid as well. The question you would then ask is, Man Utd as an institution, which one do we fall under traditionally?
During the Sir Alex Ferguson era, then he was brilliant enough to be able to achieve both.
But. That is in the past so realistically winning is the most important thing right now.

90 + 5min

Yeah I edited my post. I guess there's no harm in having some positivity now and then. After all, you never know, a manager with a Championship level résumé understanding this group of mediocre players might be the key to success.

Remember when Rashford said something similar a couple of weeks before the season started, and we've all seen how that's turned out. But let's have more faith. Having more faith could also be the secret to success.
Sorry, but PSG-Neymar-Messi-FM2020 fanclub is looking for you.

I really don't see any point writing what you wrote. I believe more and more that people like you are obstacle for our progress. People who are just negative towards everything that has to do with ManUtd. My advice is that you should either change the team or change you mentallity.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Other clubs don't change style so much as hire different managers with similar ideas. If they hire a manager with a totally different ethos, it's usually either a temporary appointment or a long term change.

Our problem has been hiring managers with totally different ideas and allowing them to buy their own players, which has left us with a mish-mash of ideas, and it shows on the pitch. For instance, Maguire and Lindelof play out of the back, but Young punts it long; so why the difference? Aren't they all under the same training? That's where you see the disjointed mish-mashness of previous regimes rearing its head, and those sorts of things are what Ole needs time to change, either with better coaching or better players.

That's why IMO Ole's appointment has got to be a long term change we're going for, even if he's not the one who finally completes it.
Mou's is a counter attacking team. What's so different with Ole's?

He'sRaldo

Mou's is a counter attacking team. What's so different with Ole's?
I don't think Ole wants us to be purely counter-attacking, I just think the players automatically play that way at times due to 3 years under Jose.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't think Ole wants us to be purely counter-attacking, I just think the players automatically play that way at times due to 3 years under Jose.
Huh? It's kinda obvious, Ole set it up this way. Anyway, it still doesn't explain of why we still suck with 'counter-attacking' way which we had it under Mou's for 3 years.

He'sRaldo

During the Sir Alex Ferguson era, then he was brilliant enough to be able to achieve both.
But. That is in the past so realistically winning is the most important thing right now.
Honestly, I would have agreed had we not experienced Moyes, Van Gaal, and Jose. Games (including wins) under them were so dire that I came to realize I watch football for entertainment purposes.

Ideally, as you said, we would like to achieve both. But in my opinion, from what we've seen, attempting to win regardless of anything else has been unsustainable and wholly unenjoyable.

Last edited:

He'sRaldo

Huh? It's kinda obvious, Ole set it up this way. Anyway, it still doesn't explain of why we still suck with 'counter-attacking' way which we had it under Mou's for 3 years.
I think Ole wants us to be flexible. Press or sit back depending on the situation, but always with a view of breaking forward with speed and numbers, be it from deep or high up the pitch.

The problem is some times when we should be pressing aggressively, we tend to sit back, and I believe that's due to years under Mourinho. It will take some time getting used to knowing when to do what.

Also, IMO Ole's formation is making it a bit harder for us, so I wish he would change it, although I don't know how feasible that is now that the season's already started.

AR87

We've scored more counter attacking goals under Ole than we did in Jose's entire time here. Also believe we have the most transition goals in the league since Ole took over, but yeah, we still suck at it. Sure.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
So it would seem they have had a few conversations in the wardrobe and traing ground about having style of play and game plans, and the difficulties of players of remembering it throughout all phases of a game or keeping composure, sticking to plans etc.
Can we expect them to come out of the closet anytime soon?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
it honestly sounds like you don't know what down to earth means

but I think you do
But a video up close and personal with a player on their training ground (where the interviewer is an ex professional from the same position) is going to harbour a feeling of comfort for generic positive chit chat. I don't see how any normal player wouldn't come across as down to earth in those scenarios. In fact I reckon any single player from our squad would give the same vibe.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Honestly, I would have agreed had we not experienced Moyes, Van Gaal, and Jose. Games (including wins) under them were so dire that I came to realize I watch football for entertainment purposes.

Ideally, as you said, we would like to achieve both. But in my opinion, from what we've seen, attempting to win regardless of anything else has been unsustainable.
I do understand that. Especially during Jose second season when we finished 2nd. But as you rightly say, the results, given the players he had were ok but the football was boring.
The next year, he did try to play a more adventurous style and the rest is history.
My concern with Ole is his record. Take away the initial good run which was obviously a new manager bounce, his record is not good.
I am a big believer in 'success breeds success'
And that is why, given where we are, is why I believe that results ought to come first.
However, should a miracle happen and we get a top class manager then yes, it should be both style and results.

Tarrou

But a video up close and personal with a player on their training ground (where the interviewer is an ex professional from the same position) is going to harbour a feeling of comfort for generic positive chit chat. I don't see how any normal player wouldn't come across as down to earth in those scenarios. In fact I reckon any single player from our squad would give the same vibe.
I can't disagree with that. But why are we being reduced to picking apart what 'down to earth' means anyway?

It's a harmless, borderline meaningless compliment given to one of our young players; but we have a posse of moaning twats on this forum who can't allow any form of positivity without piping up. It's so exhausting to read it day in, day out.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I can't disagree with that. But why are we being reduced to picking apart what 'down to earth' means anyway?

It's a harmless, borderline meaningless compliment given to one of our young players; but we have a posse of moaning twats on this forum who can't allow any form of positivity without piping up. It's so exhausting to read it day in, day out.
Yeah. I don't have an issue with the opinion, I can understand both sides though.

My only qualm about the Rashford interview were the flurry of "future captain" posts. There is positivity and then there's extreme presumption.

Tarrou

Yeah. I don't have an issue with the opinion, I can understand both sides though.

My only qualm about the Rashford interview were the flurry of "future captain" posts. There is positivity and then there's extreme presumption.
If he’s here a few more years he’ll be in the running for captain almost by default. Valencia was captain and he doesn’t speak English, it’s not that out there really

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he’s here a few more years he’ll be in the running for captain almost by default. Valencia was captain and he doesn’t speak English, it’s not that out there really
Sure, but the posts were undoubtedly referring to a deserved captaincy consideration rather than a default one.

Also are you sure Valencia never spoke English to his teammates or is this an assumption?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We've scored more counter attacking goals under Ole than we did in Jose's entire time here. Also believe we have the most transition goals in the league since Ole took over, but yeah, we still suck at it. Sure.
I don’t know how you count between counter attacking goals and regular goals between Mou’s and Ole’s. But i do know that most of us agreed that we need to improve our attack. Massively.

Yes. We’re still suck at it. I’m not sure why this even worth debating.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

Get back to your muppet station. This is a long term plan and what we actually need.
Long term plan is what we should have as long as the vision, goals and strategy to achieve those goals are relevant for the market you operate in. And that the people creating and implementing that strategy are competent.

The positives i can see from this "long term effort" are that we have finally understood as a club that we are miles behind the top clubs and that certain players are not suited to the modern game.

Grande

Since Moyes was fired we have been hearing about the "work in progress".

Under LVG i think it was true and one could actually see a playstyle, and the passing and technical ability for a number of the players improved.
Under Mourinho we all knew it was all or nothing. And most likely nothing given that his approach to football was outdated before his appointment. Players ability on the ball decreased and we were not able to play 4-5 passes without having problems controlling the ball.
OGS style of play is relient on individual moments and counter attacking. If teams does not allow us to counter and does not let PP or Martial get time on the ball, we are clueless on how to attack against a balanced defence. The players are not getting any better at handling the ball or passing. Most of our team got a passing ability closer to league 2 than the EPL. Even looking at teams like Burnley and how the average player there is able to play a ball without it being 2-3 feet of mark, on the wrong foot or the player receiving it needing an extra touch to get control of the ball... We are so far off being a technically able team in a game where being able to handle the ball has become the most important element in the game.
Every team under a new manager will be a work in progress. What do you expect? We sack a manager and appoint a new one who comes in the door with a finished article under his arm? Even more we will be a work in progress when we hire managers with completely different ideas of football. Of course, some managers build from the top, some from the bottom. Van Gaal and Solskjær wanted to build from the bottom after Moyes/Mourinho’s respecive leftovers. Then we’re even more a work in progress. This is determined by the degree of mess Moyes and Mourinho left, and the level of thoroughness, vision and ambition Van Gaal and Solskjær holds with the regard to having a holistic philosophy.

Rijkaard was willing and able to fork from the top and make superficial changes when he took over Barca. He had a degree of success because of the quality at place in the club. Guardiola wanted to build from the bottom and did. Luckily for him, he didn’t really inherit a mess from Rijkaard. And part of the build was in place at Barcelona in terms of football philosophy and players already at the club. He made them into the best team I’ve seen for a while there.

Ferguson at United took over what to us outsiders looked like a decent team at a decent club, but was in fact a mess of unprofessionalism at all levels. Thankfully, he built completely from the bottom, and thankfully he got time.

Solskjær has inherited something we all can see is a mess, at many levels. He has been implementing changes all around the club, and in the team. If one thing is certain, it is that regardless of wether it’s a success, a fiasco or something in between, it will take time.

These "young" players asked to get paid as established world class player, but want to be "understood" as "young player who's still inconsistent".
I guess the stoic conclusion would be that they are young players who are still incosistent and want to be paid as established world stars.

Kurton

Since Moyes was fired we have been hearing about the "work in progress".

Under LVG i think it was true and one could actually see a playstyle, and the passing and technical ability for a number of the players improved.
Under Mourinho we all knew it was all or nothing. And most likely nothing given that his approach to football was outdated before his appointment. Players ability on the ball decreased and we were not able to play 4-5 passes without having problems controlling the ball.
OGS style of play is relient on individual moments and counter attacking. If teams does not allow us to counter and does not let PP or Martial get time on the ball, we are clueless on how to attack against a balanced defence. The players are not getting any better at handling the ball or passing. Most of our team got a passing ability closer to league 2 than the EPL. Even looking at teams like Burnley and how the average player there is able to play a ball without it being 2-3 feet of mark, on the wrong foot or the player receiving it needing an extra touch to get control of the ball... We are so far off being a technically able team in a game where being able to handle the ball has become the most important element in the game.
Careful mate, calling things out as they are apparently is not allowed on this forum. Telling it that Ole is not coaching patterns of play, you'll be called a wum and personally attacked. Especially look out for this @UncleBob guy and @BeforeKeanetherewasRobson, if you don't agree with their opinions then you are here just to troll.

Last edited:

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Careful mate, calling things out as they are apparently is not allowed on this forum. Telling it that Ole is not coaching patterns of play, you'll be called a wum and personally attacked. Especially look out for this @UncleBob guy and @BeforeKeanetherewasRobson, if you don't agree with their opinions then you are here just to troll.
Which patterns of play would you like to see Ole implement?

Tarrou

Sure, but the posts were undoubtedly referring to a deserved captaincy consideration rather than a default one.

Also are you sure Valencia never spoke English to his teammates or is this an assumption?
I don’t know if he did or not, but that is a problem in itself. Not a massive issue though, but Valencia is not captain material for me. Rashford could be.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Agreed 100%. have not seen the attackers getting involved or stich up a beautiful move purely because we lose any sort of possession in the midfield or are clueless under high press.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Yeah I edited my post. I guess there's no harm in having some positivity now and then. After all, you never know, a manager with a Championship level résumé understanding this group of mediocre players might be the key to success.

Remember when Rashford said something similar a couple of weeks before the season started, and we've all seen how that's turned out. But let's have more faith. Having more faith could also be the secret to success.
Awful post by an awful poster. And I only have a sample size of one post!

sport2793

Awful post by an awful poster. And I only have a sample size of one post!
Agreed, people always talk about clearing the deadwood in the squad. There's a lot of deadwood in this forum these days and clearing them out would do this place a world of good.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
How anyone can lay into him boggles my mind. The guy would almost certainly bleed for the club and the fans, has already provided us with so many amazing memories in just three years with a poor squad around him, and has had to deal with being shifted out here there and everywhere. Even so, he gives nothing less than 100% every time, is humble, and you can just see he loves playing for us.

Like I said, how can anyone hate him when taking that into account? Some of our online fanbase are just toxic morons.
Amazingly, if his name was Rashfordinho and he played for some foreign club and had the same stats at the same age these same fools would be talking about how we should break the bank to get him. There's a reason why he has been fast tracked into our first team and is the player our opponents fear the most. Too bad some of our own supporters fail to see that...