BBC Sport: La Liga asks Uefa to investigate Man City's financial fair play

BigCaine

It's funny how a league with the first 2 state bankrolled clubs are now moaning about others following the same path.

ottosec

City got like 100m from sales this window, no chance they broke the FFP. They are probably tapping Messi or some other superstar from Spain if La Liga started moaning.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Looks like the gentlemen at Blue Moon are under the impression this is an attempt to prevent them from signing Messi next summer.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
City got like 100m from sales this window, no chance they broke the FFP. They are probably tapping Messi or some other superstar from Spain if La Liga started moaning.
Yeah, too late to stop City: they have a lot of assets now.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Although it is funny and awkard to see how sour real and barca are about this, it doesn't make them wrong - this is what FFP was made to combat. Only positive to see some pressure being applied to enforce it.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
These are UEFA's rules. Petty or not, La Liga shouldn't have to ask UEFA to enforce them, as they should be doing so automatically. Either that or get rid of the rule.

City were caught out by FFP two years ago and both years since have spent significantly more...so either they have, for no apparent reason, massively increased their income in a very short space of time, or they are deliberately breaking the rules in the knowledge UEFA are allowing them too...This is called corruption and very much should be made an issue of, regardless of whether La Liga are only doing it out of self interest.

Other teams are having to balance books despite having every opportunity to use invested money. You can't have one or two outside of that just doing what they want. Otherwise you might as well start allowing certain teams to field 13 players or make their goal smaller than the opposition's
The income of every club in the Premier League has increased exponentially over the past few years due to the new TV deal. City also banked more in Champions League TV and prize money than every other club in Europe when we reached the semi-finals of the CL 2 seasons ago. We also now have a bigger stadium with more corporate facilities and increased revenue from match day ticket sales and corporate hospitality. Much of the reason we failed FFP was as a result of the rolling losses from the previous 3 seasons when all these revenue streams were much lower. It's not just about "dodgy" sponsorship deals you know - incidentally, deals that have actually been ratified by UEFA as being fair market value. I'll also point out that while our net spend was well over £100 million this summer, we got far more players off the books than we brought in so the net spend figure doesn't tell anything like the full story because when you factor in the amortised costs our transfer activity was well within acceptable boundaries for FFP purposes so unless you know more than UEFA and think it's acceptable to ride roughshod over international accounting standards, I suggest you keep any accusations of corruption away from a public forum.

JohnnyKills

Former school-yard bully upset because new, bigger bully is being mean. Waaaa.

Unless UEFA is going to grow a pair and introduce a wage cap, this whole thing is pointless. UEFA likes money, so it's never going to say no to anyone.
This. On both points.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

The bought over £200m...and weren't far off that last year either. It's pretty much impossible they haven't been breaking the FFP requirements, which is probably why La Liga have decided to make a public issue of it.

They aren't happy at people other than them being given an unfair advantage. Problem is with the PL TV money, coupled with UEFA being about as integral as FIFA, I'm not really sure what they expect to achieve.

At worst City get another fine, and another sanction, which they wont care about.

Robertd0803

Good. No way is Citys spending anywhere near legit. Also means La Liga cant say its not personal with PSG.

kotha

So we'll finally see Messi in the premier league!! Bloody hell..

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't get most reactions in this thread. There is reason to suspect that PSG and City are breaking rules, so someone asks the institution in charge to investigate the matter.
Sure, it's obviously not out of altruistic motivations, but it's hardly worth the ridicule.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The lask of self-awareness from Tebas is astonishing mate. A Real Madrid fan complaining about state aid is laughably ironic, and even more so when RM have received money from none other than Abu Dhabi to redevelop their stadium:lol:

The assumption amongst some City fans is that Barca are getting a little about Messi's contract situation and perhaps are worried that City might come in for him?
Wouldn't impact anything since Leo would be coming on a free, after that it's about balancing your books but wouldn't be related to Tebas' gripe. On the flip side, would love to see an actual independent investigation of how RM conduct business but don't hold your breath

iamherenow

seems Messi is being tapped up,would be funny as hell if he joined city and greizmann joined us...ronaldo might even kick up a fuss and join us,la liga losing their prominent stars in two windows will be funny as hell.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The income of every club in the Premier League has increased exponentially over the past few years due to the new TV deal. City also banked more in Champions League TV and prize money than every other club in Europe when we reached the semi-finals of the CL 2 seasons ago. We also now have a bigger stadium with more corporate facilities and increased revenue from match day ticket sales and corporate hospitality. Much of the reason we failed FFP was as a result of the rolling losses from the previous 3 seasons when all these revenue streams were much lower. It's not just about "dodgy" sponsorship deals you know - incidentally, deals that have actually been ratified by UEFA as being fair market value. Unless you know more than UEFA and think it's acceptable to ride roughshod over international accounting standards, I suggest you keep any accusations of corruption away from a public forum.
Calm down.

The numbers just don't add up I'm afraid. Do you think La Liga would come out and make a public statement like this if they didn't know there was something a bit dodgy going on?

They are unhappy at no longer being the main beneficiary and that's all it comes down to.

Of course UEFA have ratified sponsorship deals, because it means they make more money, it means they keep clubs like United happy. They are not really interested in a fair playing field which is where the problems start, because clubs will be happy to rat out UEFA or each other if they don't feel like they are getting the biggest piece of the pie.

It would make much more sense to just get rid of FFP because if not it is going to cause them endless trouble unless they enforce it on every team. If they investigate City, next time Real or BArcelona spend big, there'll be claims going the other way...suddenly everyone will be getting scrutinised and I doubt many will be shown in a good light.

ottosec

The bought over £200m...and weren't far off that last year either. It's pretty much impossible they haven't been breaking the FFP requirements, which is probably why La Liga have decided to make a public issue of it.

They aren't happy at people other than them being given an unfair advantage. Problem is with the PL TV money, coupled with UEFA being about as integral as FIFA, I'm not really sure what they expect to achieve.

At worst City get another fine, and another sanction, which they wont care about.
According to transfermrkt they bought for €250m and sold €100m.

There is an interview with Woodward a year or two back where he says that we can spend at least 300m per season without worrying about FFP. Obviously, it's not as straight forward as that because there are many more variables like salaries, bonuses and other shit to take into consideration, but it's safe to assume that City with their recent growth and their dodgy sponsorships can at least spend 200m every season without any trouble from UEFA.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Wouldn't impact anything since Leo would be coming on a free, after that it's about balancing your books but wouldn't be related to Tebas' gripe. On the flip side, would love to see an actual independent investigation of how RM conduct business but don't hold your breath
You just lost Neymar because a club surpassed the récord in 120m€ and are still complaining about Madrid.
Tebas also embarrased himself with his complaints about Neymar a month ago despite being Madridista.
Would your opinion be the same without Pep at City?

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic
City's net spend is about £150million. Whilst the players they've brought in will be on high wages they've also cleared out Sagna, Clichy, Zabaleta, Navas, Caballero off the wage bill and all the players too that they received fees for. They were all probably on about 100k a week.

The premier league deal itself is also pretty mental. The clubs nearer the top end get about £150million just from premier league tv rights and league prize money alone.(According to BBC, Chelsea got £150million last season, City around £146million). Not even counting European prize money and tv rights and all the sponsorships. Stadium money too but I guess they only make about £300 when only six people are in attendance at the Etihad on match days. I know City has basically been built off a sugar daddy but I doubt they'll be in any sort of issue with FFP.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
You just lost Neymar because a club surpassed the récord in 120m€ and are still complaining about Madrid.
Tebas also embarrased himself with his complaints about Neymar a month ago despite being Madridista.
No it hundred percent wouldn't. This bloke has a problem with Qatari money but yet supports Man City in the Premier League. Go figure.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Cheating is just that, whether it is Rosell/Barto, Qatar, UAE or the perennial ones in the Spanish capital

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The last three summer is the first time in a while the big two in Spain haven't been able to sign a Galatico.
They realise this and are starting to throw their toys.
Real and Barca know they can't sign other big club's best players anymore.

CG1010

The concept of a club complaining to UEFA to investigate is quite funny IMO. UEFA receives the financial statements of all clubs and already decides which clubs to investigate. It shouldn't take another club for them to investigate PSG and City. Of course, if UEFA's acts are based on political considerations, then backing of a club like Barca should hugely help.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
No it hundred percent wouldn't. This bloke has a problem with Qatari money but yet supports Man City in the Premier League. Go figure.
Pep was also ambassador for Qatar's world cup bid. Problem with Qatar but worship the guy who endorses them.

“I am very pleased to be representing Qatar’s 2022 World Cup Bid,” Guardiola said upon his appointment. “I believe this is a truly unique bid, and a wonderful opportunity to spread the magic and the benefits of the world’s favourite game across the globe.”

“Having played in Qatar myself between 2003 and 2005, and having grown to love the country and greatly appreciate Qatar’s football development and infrastructure investment, I believe the time is ripe for the first World Cup to be held in the Middle East. My experience in Qatar, as well as the outstanding organisation and football passion we witnessed in the UAE during the Clubs World Cup, makes me confident that Qatar and the Middle East can host a spectacular, passionate and unforgettable World Cup that embraces all the FIFA ideals.”

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not gonna lie, I am not knowledgable enough on FFP to comment if La Liga are wrong or right, but Roman certainly pulled in the budget strings about 5 years ago due to FFP pressure. However, if City are still making a good amount from sales, I don't see much reason for them to be punished. Hasn't always been implemented to basically stop big clubs who only buy, buy, buy, but don't sell enough?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's difficult to take the complaint seriously because of who's making it.
However, the point stands. Countries should not be bankrolling clubs.
It was wrong when Madrid was being bankrolled and it is wrong now.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You can't really complain about PSG and ignore the other people who are cheating as well.

The next stage will be if RM and Barca don't get what they want, then talks of a new European league outside of EUFA with strict can only pay what you earn rules in place that will basically exclude the Arab clubs from participating.

Then UEFA will act and because nobody really cares about the oil clubs, they will be forced to comply or face expulsion from the tournaments.

That or they form their own little league which nobody will care about either.

JohnnyKills

The timing is interesting, given reports that Messi won't renew his contract and City want him.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Calm down.

The numbers just don't add up I'm afraid. Do you think La Liga would come out and make a public statement like this if they didn't know there was something a bit dodgy going on?

They are unhappy at no longer being the main beneficiary and that's all it comes down to.

Of course UEFA have ratified sponsorship deals, because it means they make more money, it means they keep clubs like United happy. They are not really interested in a fair playing field which is where the problems start, because clubs will be happy to rat out UEFA or each other if they don't feel like they are getting the biggest piece of the pie.

It would make much more sense to just get rid of FFP because if not it is going to cause them endless trouble unless they enforce it on every team. If they investigate City, next time Real or BArcelona spend big, there'll be claims going the other way...suddenly everyone will be getting scrutinised and I doubt many will be shown in a good light.
Anybody with a modicum of commonsense can see why La Liga are doing this, and it's all because PSG dared to buy Neymar from Barcelona and they're now acting like a bunch of slapped arses and lobbing accusations around without any supporting evidence. Do you honestly believe that this complaint would've gone in if PSG hadn't bought Neymar? I wouldn't mind but what PSG do is nothing to do with City anyway and it's not like Qatar and Abu Dhabi are best of friends at the moment. Just because both clubs are owned by people from a similar part of the world doesn't mean they're 2 sides of the same coin. Funny how no-one ever complains about Mike Ashley and Peter Coates sponsoring their own clubs - maybe for some, the fact they don't have brown skin and aren't Muslim has something to do with it.

As for the numbers not adding up, how do you work that one out? Have you gone through City's accounts with a fine tooth comb? Perhaps we should get you and that muppet Tebas from La Liga to independently audit City's accounts in future seeing as though you both have so much inside knowledge of our finances:lol:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Cheating is just that, whether it is Rosell/Barto, Qatar, UAE or the perennial ones in the Spanish capital
Exactly, we had to pay back for las tablas and were a market out for signing a kid from Venezuela,you even worse,so I don't see why with City is "Tebas the Madrid fan".
Do you think that cheat/punishment with the transfer ban is comparable with blowing out the price of football?
While they adore Pep he steals from la Masía.Luckily for him Messi can't stand Pep and won't leave

Classical Mechanic

Don't know why they've randomly picked City and not PSG... but yeah sounds like they're just having a strop about not having it their own way any more!
Can you not think of something that PSG and City have in common?

This says to me that Barca are worried about City nabbing Messi, or at least massively inflating his wages.

There are also things like their non playing staff being paid through a different company to keep the figures off City's books. I bet there are many other tricks that PSG and City are employing that could be looked at too.

theralyst

Bunch of crybabies, but Godspeed when it's at the expense of City.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Does UEFA have to cater to xenophobic cnuts or do they have a bit of dignity left?