BBC Sport: La Liga asks Uefa to investigate Man City's financial fair play

Sylar

Its quite funny. Barca were trying to unsettle Verratti all summer. PSG got pissed and just triggered Neymars buy out and he ended up leaving.
Would be funny if City get pissed off and just trigger Messi buyout clause and he actually decides to leave after seeing what the board have done in terms of signings.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Its quite funny. Barca were trying to unsettle Verratti all summer. PSG got pissed and just triggered Neymars buy out and he ended up leaving.
Would be funny if City get pissed off and just trigger Messi buyout clause and he actually decides to leave after seeing what the board have done in terms of signings.
:nono:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Anybody with a modicum of commonsense can see why La Liga are doing this, and it's all because PSG dared to buy Neymar from Barcelona and they're now acting like a bunch of slapped arses and lobbing accusations around without any supporting evidence. Do you honestly believe that this complaint would've gone in if PSG hadn't bought Neymar? I wouldn't mind but what PSG do is nothing to do with City anyway and it's not like Qatar and Abu Dhabi are best of friends at the moment. Just because both clubs are owned by people from a similar part of the world doesn't mean they're 2 sides of the same coin. Funny how no-one ever complains about Mike Ashley and Peter Coates sponsoring their own clubs - maybe for some, the fact they don't have brown skin and aren't Muslim has something to do with it.

As for the numbers not adding up, how do you work that one out? Have you gone through City's accounts with a fine tooth comb? Perhaps we should get you and that muppet Tebas from La Liga to independently audit City's accounts in future seeing as though you both have so much inside knowledge of our finances:lol:
This is just pathetic.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
inevitable i think... I also expect some of the games to take place in the middle east (Qatar will have a lot of stadiums sitting there for example) - wouldnt be surprised to see games in USA and Far east as well - the money will be just too good to turn down.

Could actually see it as a midweek league thats clubs take part in outside of the CL - no pesky UEFA FFP rules and no need to leave their traditional leagues (games outside europe in the winter break etc)

Id be shocked if we didn't see it in the next 10 years.
UEFA feel exactly the same way. They're just trying to pre-empt that by doing it first. It'll probably start with the CL final taking place in somewhere like New York, then Beijing, then probably Qatar as you say. It's definitely happening in the next decade. Soon enough they'll embed non-home games into the regular fixtures.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Say what you want about Barca and Madrid, but I too find the spending of relatively small clubs like City and PSG insane. I don't understand the idea of FFP when clubs like those two who have far less fans and exposure than for instance Liverpool, United, Barca, Real are still able to spend far, far more money.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
This is just pathetic.
Why is it? I never said it was the case for everyone, just some people. So unless you're saying there aren't any racist football fans then no it isn't pathetic. I've seen and heard more than enough racist abuse spouted about City's owner down the years.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Say what you want about Barca and Madrid, but I too find the spending of relatively small clubs like City and PSG insane. I don't understand the idea of FFP when clubs like those two who have far less fans and exposure than for instance Liverpool, United, Barca, Real are still able to spend far, far more money.
In theory the only thing that matters for FFP is that the owners make sure that the money in the club can cover the expenses. But because a group of clubs control football, they added some really stupid and illegal rules that prevent owners from actually and directly put the money on their companies/associations bank accounts.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Nowt wrong with Stockport mate:nono: You should pay a visit some time ;)
I have done.

City and PSG are essentially state run clubs meaning they have the financial resources of a nation to benefit from.

PSG have shown they have little regard for the market and the welfare of the game by tripling the world transfer record and City are also capable of such distortion . So until UEFA change ownership rules play things like City and PSG will be under constant scrutiny.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why is it? I never said it was the case for everyone, just some people. So unless you're saying there aren't any racist football fans then no it isn't pathetic. I've seen and heard more than enough racist abuse spouted about City's owner down the years.
People don't say the same thing about them because it isn't the same thing, as simple as that. There was a lot of stuff about RA's takeover of Chelsea too and it wasn't to do anything with this skin colour or religion.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's stupid because I'm pretty sure that people complained about Monaco in 2013, your first sentence is correct the second one is stupid because unnecessarily inflammatory.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
But nobody complains about him sponsoring his own club - apart from that stupid re-naming of the stadium that is - which is the point I was making.
More likely to be because the sponsorship deal there is worth about £6.99 rather than €200m like PSG and whatever yours is than anything to do with racism. That's a really bizarre angle to take.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
This is just pathetic.

It sure is. Surely anyone with any kind of sense can see that this has got nothing to do with race or religion. Racism and religious discrimination is disgusting but playing the race card for something like this is ridiculous. It has everything to do with breaching the rules set by UEFA and nothing to do with racism or the religion of the owners.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What you are saying is absolutely ridiculous. Not everyone is racist. Yes there may be racist football fans but this has got nothing to do with that, you are going off topic.

This is to do with City spending lots of money and Barcelona putting in a complaint so that City are investigated over rule breaches.

You need to give your head a shake.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
More likely to be because the sponsorship deal there is worth about £6.99 rather than €200m like PSG and whatever yours is than anything to do with racism. That's a really bizarre angle to take.
No, it really isn't. I bet if Coates and/or Ashley were to suddenly start embarking on a level of spending akin to City's there wouldn't be quite the level of animosity in some quarters about it. You only have to look at how Jack Walker's bankrolling of Blackburn Rovers was viewed and how he was by and large given a free pass.

And I'll extend this further to encompass foreign owners in general - by and large foreign owners get far more stick than English owners. The Oystons are getting away with murder over at Blackpool but I bet if that was a foreigner doing that to Blackpool then there would be more coverage and criticism of it in the media.

Ramshock

This has to be one of the longest reaches of the race card Ive ever seen. Pathetic

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
In theory the only thing that matters for FFP is that the owners make sure that the money in the club can cover the expenses. But because a group of clubs control football, they added some really stupid and illegal rules that prevent owners from actually and directly put the money on their companies/associations bank accounts.
I though the idea was that a club had to make it's own revenue.

English isn't my first language, so forgive me if you answered this already, but shouldn't those "illegal" rules then take away the ability to take over a club like City and then inject it with a shitload of money?

Does that then mean that an oilsheik could potentially buy FC Copenhagen and buy all the best players in the world and pay them double of what they would get elsewhere?

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
What you are saying is absolutely ridiculous. Not everyone is racist. Yes there may be racist football fans but this has got nothing to do with that, you are going off topic.

This is to do with City spending lots of money and Barcelona putting in a complaint so that City are investigated over rule breaches.

You need to give your head a shake.
Where did I say everyone is racist? I think you need to give your head a shake and read my posts properly.

finneh

I can hear the laughter in the City boardroom as their deals with Etisalat, Etihad, TCA Abu Dhabi, Aabar, First Gulf Bank & Saudi Hollandi Bank just get uplifted by another £10m each per season.

Luckily Uefa are fighting a losing battle if they try to stop this kind of outside investment. Barcelona have just signed a £120m per annum kit deal? Suddenly Abu Dhabi apparel appear offering City the exact same deal. Man Utd sign a £58m deal with Chevrolet? Etihad suddenly decide they're hugely undervaluing their current kit deal. Madrid have a new stadium naming rights deal? Etihad likewise match the fee.

Everyone should embrace the trickle down effects and increased competition that these clubs are bringing, not complain about it being unfair. It's likewise unfair we have a turnover £150m higher than our next domestic rival, so what? Are we as a club clambering to give £150m to Burnley to make things fairer?

finneh

I can hear the laughter in the City boardroom as their deals with Etisalat, Etihad, TCA Abu Dhabi, Aabar, First Gulf Bank & Saudi Hollandi Bank just get uplifted by another £10m each per season.

Luckily Uefa are fighting a losing battle if they try to stop this kind of outside investment. Barcelona have just signed a £120m per annum kit deal? Suddenly Abu Dhabi apparel appear offering City the exact same deal. Man Utd sign a £58m deal with Chevrolet? Etihad suddenly decide they're hugely undervaluing their current kit deal. Madrid have a new stadium naming rights deal? Etihad likewise match the fee.

Everyone should embrace the trickle down effects and increased competition that these clubs are bringing, not complain about it being unfair. It's likewise unfair we have a turnover £150m higher than our next domestic rival, so what? Are we as a club clambering to give £150m to Burnley to make things fairer?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
No, it really isn't. I bet if Coates and/or Ashley were to suddenly start embarking on a level of spending akin to City's there wouldn't be quite the level of animosity in some quarters about it. You only have to look at how Jack Walker's bankrolling of Blackburn Rovers was viewed and how he was by and large given a free pass.

And I'll extend this further to encompass foreign owners in general - by and large foreign owners get far more stick than English owners. The Oystons are getting away with murder over at Blackpool but I bet if that was a foreigner doing that to Blackpool then there would be more coverage and criticism of it in the media.
Lol! You think people would not complain if Stoke or Newcastle started buying players for 200m?

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
This has to be one of the longest reaches of the race card Ive ever seen. Pathetic
Jesus wept:lol: Seriously, where was I playing the race card? I've not accused a single person on this forum of being racist - all I was doing was pointing out that City's owner has come in for a lot of racist abuse down the years from football fans and media alike.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Lol! You think people would not complain if Stoke or Newcastle started buy players for 200m?
Yeah, they would mate but they'd also get a free pass in certain circles

Rajma

In all your posts you seem to fail to get a simple point that it is UEFA we're talking about. No one in Germany or Italy cares that clubs do in their own league as long as it doesn't impact UEFA competition by those teams directly participating in it.

However, there's significant intuition that owners of those clubs would piss off real quick with little international exposure and not being able to have a go in European tournaments.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Barcelona trying to get a transfer ban for City, cause of the little guy. :lol:

Ramshock

Jesus wept:lol: Seriously, where was I playing the race card? I've not accused a single person on this forum of being racist - all I was doing was pointing out that City's owner has come in for a lot of racist abuse down the years from football fans and media alike.
Nobody said anything about anyone on here. You using the Arab families skin colour as a factor in all this is the pathetic race card.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Does that then mean that an oilsheik could potentially buy FC Copenhagen and buy all the best players in the world and pay them double of what they would get elsewhere?
Yeah, he could.

He’d need to make sure the club was “legitimately” sponsored by the Not-Dodgy-At-All Tourism Agency Of Whatever for gazillions, though. But you can do that easily enough, as proven elsewhere.

Still, if you want to use a football club either as a cock extension or as a means to boosting your reputation (otherwise somewhat dubious because of human rights issues and whatnot) among the general public in Europe, you’d probably prefer a club in a bigger league, one that more people are aware of in the first place.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Nobody said anything about anyone on here. You using the Arab families skin colour as a factor in all this is the pathetic race card.
Wrong. I was only saying that it's a factor for some people, not everyone. You seem to be implying that it's not a factor for anyone which in itself implies that there is no racism in football. I know you know that this isn't the case of course and I'm happy to discuss this further by PM if you want.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It sure is. Surely anyone with any kind of sense can see that this has got nothing to do with race or religion. Racism and religious discrimination is disgusting but playing the race card for something like this is ridiculous. It has everything to do with breaching the rules set by UEFA and nothing to do with racism or the religion of the owners.
Of course it has a lot to do with the origin of the owners (and contempt for the clubs not belonging to the established football aristocracy). The vast majority of successful football clubs in history benefited from sugar daddies or other forms of financial help. People are acting as if what is happening in Manchester and Paris is something new but it really isn't. The only thing new with these owners is their background.

See how noone complains about the Milan AC transfer dealings.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City
Of course it has a lot to do with the origin of the owners (and contempt for the clubs not belonging to the established football aristocracy). The vast majority of successful football clubs in history benefited from sugar daddies or other forms of financial help. People are acting as if what is happening in Manchester and Paris is something new but it really isn't. The only thing new with these owners is their background.

Bingo.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Why are people unhappy about this? Regardless of their motive, surely Real/Barca/La Liga pushing UEFA to look into PSG/City is good for us and the rest of the normal clubs?
Maybe it's more to do with Real/Barca/La lige being utter cnuts for years and now when things don't go their way that act like little pathetic bitches at every opportunity?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with the stance, but just not coming from them. It's so hypocritical and ridiculous that they only care now they are at risk.

That's why people may be against this.

Ramshock

Wrong. I was only saying that it's a factor for some people, not everyone. You seem to be implying that it's not a factor for anyone which in itself implies that there is no racism in football. I'm happy to discuss this further by PM if you want
Its UEFA that investigate this not the EDL or BNP ffs. What some racist toe rag in the stands thinks about Citys owners has got feck all to do with this.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

People were complaining when Chelsea threw around the money, people were wary about Chinese money, in Germany a lot of people hate RB and their Austrian money and I'm sure a lot of fans in Italy will resent Milan's spending. The only reason the latter aren't in the spotlight is because PSG and their dealings are overshadowing them.
To play the race card here is ignorant and pathetic.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Anybody with a modicum of commonsense can see why La Liga are doing this, and it's all because PSG dared to buy Neymar from Barcelona and they're now acting like a bunch of slapped arses and lobbing accusations around without any supporting evidence. Do you honestly believe that this complaint would've gone in if PSG hadn't bought Neymar? I wouldn't mind but what PSG do is nothing to do with City anyway and it's not like Qatar and Abu Dhabi are best of friends at the moment. Just because both clubs are owned by people from a similar part of the world doesn't mean they're 2 sides of the same coin. Funny how no-one ever complains about Mike Ashley and Peter Coates sponsoring their own clubs - maybe for some, the fact they don't have brown skin and aren't Muslim has something to do with it.

As for the numbers not adding up, how do you work that one out? Have you gone through City's accounts with a fine tooth comb? Perhaps we should get you and that muppet Tebas from La Liga to independently audit City's accounts in future seeing as though you both have so much inside knowledge of our finances:lol:
What supporting evidence do you think they need to suspect or pretty much know that PSG's legitimate revenue couldn't afford Neymar? It requires one or more employee at La Liga to be capable of basic maths.

It's sour grapes yes, but UEFA put the rule in place so they SHOULD enforce it. Having rules and then choosing when they apply and who they apply to is obviously wrong and will just lead to no end of trouble.

I doubt the Neymar deal is why City have been dragged into it. La Liga see the Premier League as a threat, especially with the TV deal money, and you've been picked out because you're the obvious biggest spenders. United probably can justify their spending and the only other target would be Chelsea who have been less consistent with their spending than City in the last few years. They are trying to put pressure on UEFA to protect them from the PL, PSG etc....but to be honest the money you've spent in the last two years is pretty silly so it was only a matter of time before someone whined about it. It's worse than what we've been up to, and in the past few years we've basically bought a new team, then scrapped that and bought a new one again...whilst overpaying for nearly every single player.

It does need to be brought into line (not City specifically, just the inconsistency of these silly spending rules). UEFA either need to come up with something that is self enforcing and consistent to everyone, or just scrap the whole idea. Having something in between is a terrible solution...it allows situations like this where one person can use it as a tool against another and everyone can cry foul play when they are picked on.