The contenders:

Harry Kane
Dina Asher-Smith
Jimmy Anderson
Geraint Thomas
Lewis Hamilton
Lizzy Yarnold

Rooney1987

Neither did Joshua and he defended his titles twice.

Tough to argue with that 6. Nice to see a football player nominated for once.

Giggsy92

Going for 1. Kane 2. Asher-Smith 3. Thomas, although I think the other five are all more worthy winners than Kane.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Anderson or Hamliton for me, but I'm saying that as someone who doesn't know about any of the others besides Kane :lol: All-time leading test-wicket pace bowler, had a great year for England. An all-time great player.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Give it Anderson the glorious man
I'd love to see it. Such an absolute class act as a player. One of the best this country has ever produced.

(I'm not actually watching as the Scottish Open final is on, but yeah, ooooh Jimmy Jimmy!)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Kane will win it. Captained the national football team to a respectable position during a feel good summer, was top goal scorer at the tournament and had yet another top drawer season for his club.

GeorgieBoy

Is this a purely public vote?
I think Anderson should probably win it but cricket is a relatively lower tier sport here I can't see him getting it.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I'd love to see it. Such an absolute class act as a player. One of the best this country has ever produced.

(I'm not actually watching as the Scottish Open final is on, but yeah, ooooh Jimmy Jimmy!)
It’ll be a sad day when he’s gone, after Cook going it’ll be a real end of era. Anderson being edged to cook :drool:

Rooney1987

Don’t agree with that, but yet again no Ronnie or Joshua is daft.
Looking through social media a lot of outrage over no Fury. He drew his one big fight he isn’t in top 3 for boxing for 2018 never mind all of British sport.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
It’ll be a sad day when he’s gone, after Cook going it’ll be a real end of era. Anderson being edged to cook :drool:
& I'll never forget his nightwatchman efforts :D Such a lad. A true icon.

Looking through social media a lot of outrage over no Fury. He drew his one big fight he isn’t in top 3 for boxing for 2018 never mind all of British sport.
To be fair, he should've won that match, & it was a tougher match than either of Joshua's wins. Plus his comeback story really is something impressive, considering how far he'd sunk into drugs/drink/depression.

Dan

Use to prefer this show when it was filmed in a studio, don’t like the big arena format.

Rooney1987

To be fair, he should've won that match, & it was a tougher match than either of Joshua's wins. Plus his comeback story really is something impressive, considering how far he'd sunk into drugs/drink/depression.
I agree he should have. We need to ignore the personality it’s best year a sports person has had. It’s not comeback story of the year. If there is an award for that he totally deserves it. I don’t think AJ should be nominated either but I would nominate him over Fury. Sure I’m in minority.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I agree he should have. We need to ignore the personality it’s best year a sports person has had. It’s not comeback story of the year. If there is an award for that he totally deserves it. I don’t think AJ should be nominated either but I would nominate him over Fury. Sure I’m in minority.
Agreed. If it's on achievement/feats alone then neither boxer deserves a spot. Ronnie should be there in that situation.

But I'm REALLY hoping for Jimmy :D

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Three lions live in the studio.:lol::lol::lol:

Cue all the foreign guys watching this having another meltdown.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Lewis for me. This year is his best winning season in F1 i think and his number 5.
Definitely couldn't begrudge Lewis taking it. Such a natural talent & deserving of his stature.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
This thing has changed. They don't recognise the personality bit at all any more.

I'd have voted for Fury all day long.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Amazed to read the other day apparently Ronnie O'Sullivan has never even made a top 10 in this. You're talking about one of the best Sportsman produced by United Kingdom in last 30 years.

I remember a similar outcry over Phil Taylor but I think he did eventually finish 3rd one year.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Must have done.
Modric and Lovren referenced it as motivation for beating England in interviews. Many foreign fans on this forum couldn't stand it being played constantly either.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Jimmy Anderson should definitely win.

Also, I loved the World Cup, I'm delighted with how far England have come, but can we stop pretending we won the World Cup.

Kane winning would be a farce

vangagal

Amazed to read the other day apparently Ronnie O'Sullivan has never even made a top 10 in this. You're talking about one of the best Sportsman produced by United Kingdom in last 30 years.

I remember a similar outcry over Phil Taylor but I think he did eventually finish 3rd one year.
Maybe it has to do with snooker not being majorly popular sports unlike others? I like Ronnie O'Sullivan thou. Watching his match and snooker in general on youtube always fascinating.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Also all this outrage over Fury not being on the list is hilarious... He lost for feck sake.

Also, Joshua is the World Champ... So yeah

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Maybe it has to do with snooker not being majorly popular sports unlike others? I like Ronnie O'Sullivan thou. Watching his match and snooker in general on youtube always fascinating.
Ironically it's one of the few major sporting tournaments the BBC still screens live with the World championships at the Crucible.

Of course Snooker isn't viewed as mainstream sport but plenty of people around Britain casually play it in pubs and bars and snooker clubs and I'm sure if you asked the average person on the street they'd have heard of him more than some who've been shortlisted.

I was just staggered he's never made a shortlist when I read that the other day.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Also all this outrage over Fury not being on the list is hilarious... He lost for feck sake.

He drew a fight versus an unbeaten world champion (that the majority of experts had him winning handily) after coming back from a shedload of personal issues. Joshua beat a near 40 year old Povetkin and a relative nobody.

Fury's year was more impressive overall for me, even if Joshua has the better win ratio to show.

Flamingo Purple

The wrong skeptic

Don't really understand how you can say he lost that fight. Won every round comfortably other than the knock down rounds. Joshua is only world champion because of Fury vacating belts.

vangagal

Ironically it's one of the few major sporting tournaments the BBC still screens live with the World championships at the Crucible.

Of course Snooker isn't viewed as mainstream sport but plenty of people around Britain casually play it in pubs and bars and snooker clubs and I'm sure if you asked the average person on the street they'd have heard of him more than some who've been shortlisted.

I was just staggered he's never made a shortlist when I read that the other day.
Of course snooker or pools can be found at any bars/pubs everywhere but its lack on stature among others major sports even if it casts live by BBC. Saying that if Lizzy gets nominated so should Ronnie.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Don't really understand how you can say he lost that fight. Won every round comfortably other than the knock down rounds. Joshua is only world champion because of Fury vacating belts.
EH? Can you explain that?
He drew a fight versus an unbeaten world champion (that the majority of experts had him winning handily) after coming back from a shedload of personal issues. Joshua beat a near 40 year old Povetkin and a relative nobody.

Fury's year was more impressive overall for me, even if Joshua has the better win ratio to show.
I meant he didn't win the fight or the belt.

Whether he should have done or not is irrelevant. He didn't win, and rewarding that would just be bizarre - especially when actual Champions/record setters are on this list

... And Harry Kane

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I meant he didn't win the fight or the belt.

Whether he should have done or not is irrelevant. He didn't win, and rewarding that would just be bizarre - especially when actual Champions/record setters are on this list

... And Harry Kane
Harry Kane won the World Cup Golden Boot :D (Sorry)!