BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't know the bloke, don't have a dog in the fight, but here's my view fwiw: he works inside the football media, in a rapidly growing sector and has regular access to people who know things in the game, whether they be on the footballing or journalistic side. Quite a lot of those people speak to him regularly so they build up a rapport. They're also being paid, I assume, for their contributions, so they'll be quite happy to discuss things with him both on-air and also, I would suggest, off-air. I don't think he holds himself out as being a super ITK or anything but he does appear to be someone with contacts within the game and also senior contacts within the club. Football is one of the most gossipy professions going. Like all people who work in an information sharing field he'll sometimes be told something that isn't the case, or something that isn't true and people will hammer him for it. Journalists who've been working around the club for decades can't get to the bottom of the story conclusively. Some of them have different views and/or sources of information. If they can't pin it down beyond doubt what hope for anyone else?

So, yeah, I'm sure he gets things wrong at times. I also know he gets plenty of things right. That doesn't mean that when he tweets or offers an opinion that it has to be through the prism of being the Internet's favourite ITK, with a mole in every boardroom. In fact, I'm pretty sure he himself has said he's not holding himself out as some top level journalist who has a line on every story. Those people don't exist. Use the Caf's favourite, Di Marzio, for example. Ask yourselves what you actually believe the extent of his 'powers' are. It's like trying to figure out the logistics of how Santa could deliver gifts to every child in the world in one night.
He's as reliable as any Brit Journo regards United. Daniel Taylor of the Guardian newspaper has vouched from him on Twitter.

prath92

I don't care about Pilib de Brun.....many are saying he's a bullshiter but Sky Italia is okay or what???

They have said a deal is "only hours away"....nothing has happened but the thread title still says so
It was clarified that the Italian usage of 'only hours away' is to indicate it's going to happen soon.

Natener

I wish it was that simple. Our attack has been lot better in the last month. I am interested in seeing which players we will sign. We are in desperate need of a creative midfielder.
That's like saying "this 2 week old moldy bread is more edible than that piece of dog poo you had earlier so you'll keep digging the bin for more food."

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I wish it was that simple. Our attack has been lot better in the last month. I am interested in seeing which players we will sign. We are in desperate need of a creative midfielder.
Yes it was brilliant at Norwich and West Ham...

RedRover

It's really not worth arguing with the Van Gaal fans at this point. It's just blind delusion with them.

Even the man himself admitted that He failed to meet expectations.
Each to their own and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I find it fascinating that there are still some fans who seem to support him seeing his contract out.

I can't see any possible benefit. His transfer activities have been average, his style of play extremely poor and his relationship with the fans overall is now at rock bottom.

Is it likely he'll suddenly admit he was wrong and change the system? Will he have world class players desperate to work with him? Will things suddenly click into place? I don't see anything to suggest that'll happen. As I've said before he looks out of his depth and is too proud and stubborn to admit it.

Even if he'd been successful, a year left on his deal asked it harder to attract players because of the uncertainty that follows as to what happens next. It almost never ends well when a manager makes it clear he's going well before time - Man City being a recent example.

Mourinho is an acquired taste, but he'd likely arrest the slide and attract quality players. If he only stays three years then so what? I suspect he'd leave us in a better position than we're in now.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Each to their own and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I find it fascinating that there are still some fans who seem to support him seeing his contract out.

I can't see any possible benefit. His transfer activities have been average, his style of play extremely poor and his relationship with the fans overall is now at rock bottom.

Is it likely he'll suddenly admit he was wrong and change the system? Will he have world class players desperate to work with him? Will things suddenly click into place? I don't see anything to suggest that'll happen. As I've said before he looks out of his depth and is too proud and stubborn to admit it.

Even if he'd been successful, a year left on his deal asked it harder to attract players because of the uncertainty that follows as to what happens next. It almost never ends well when a manager makes it clear he's going well before time - Man City being a recent example.

Mourinho is an acquired taste, but he'd likely arrest the slide and attract quality players. If he only stays three years then so what? I suspect he'd leave us in a better position than we're in now.
What I have found funny is those same Van Gaal fans having a go at Mourinho for being a short term manager,yet Van Gaal is the definition of a short term manager.

Look at his tenures at the big clubs, he usually has a short shelf life before his tactics unravel, falls out with some of the players or starts squabbling with the decision makers. You can only have so much of the man till the majority hate him. Bayerns statement when they fired him stills rings so true today.

For me,Van Gaal is either unwilling or unable to change and it's no use persisting with him . An easy reference for this is too look at how they lost the 2010 UCL with Bayern. Any long suffering United will easily identify the trend. They dominated ball possession, but created few opportunities,and were easily picked off on the counter.Inter allowed them to hog the ball,but had all the good chances. He doesn't seem to have learnt a thing from that.

RedRover

What I have found funny is those same Van Gaal fans having a go at Mourinho for being a short term manager,yet Van Gaal is the definition of a short term manager.

Look at his tenures at the big clubs, he usually has a short shelf life before his tactics unravel, falls out with some of the players or starts squabbling with the decision makers. You can only have so much of the man till the majority hate him. Bayerns statement when they fired him stills rings so true today.

For me,Van Gaal is either unwilling or unable to change and it's no use persisting with him . An easy reference for this is too look at how they lost the 2010 UCL with Bayern. Any long suffering United will easily identify the trend. They dominated ball possession, but created few opportunities,and were easily picked off on the counter.Inter allowed them to hog the ball,but had all the good chances. He doesn't seem to have learnt a thing from that.
It is, in reality a long time since he was the revolutionary manager he thinks he is. He's always seemed like he's wanted to do things the hard way - square pegs in round holes, persisting with systems that don't work, letting players go and not replacing them - it's almost like he feels he has to prove what a genius he is. The fact that he makes the same mistakes again and again makes you think he's either too stubborn to admit it or just not up to the job.

You're right about his "M.O." which seems to follow a pattern. He's certainly short term here given his imminent retirement.

As it is maybe in modern managers don't stick around that long. The top clubs all switch managers on the merry-go-round and it doesn't seem to limit success.

K2K

It is, in reality a long time since he was the revolutionary manager he thinks he is. He's always seemed like he's wanted to do things the hard way - square pegs in round holes, persisting with systems that don't work, letting players go and not replacing them - it's almost like he feels he has to prove what a genius he is. The fact that he makes the same mistakes again and again makes you think he's either too stubborn to admit it or just not up to the job.

You're right about his "M.O." which seems to follow a pattern. He's certainly short term here given his imminent retirement.

As it is maybe in modern managers don't stick around that long. The top clubs all switch managers on the merry-go-round and it doesn't seem to limit success.
The best Van Gaal had always been one with filters. Especially in the transfer market. After the first season at Bayern were he signed Braafheid and Pranjic(two woeful signings)and got rid of Lucio,the club stepped in.Very well too as he was vetoing the signing of Neuer too.

The United model of letting the manager make up his iwn mind is a good one,just one not suited for a tinkering maverick like Van Gaal. Someone should have stepped in when he was selling all our attackers in the summer, or at least asked him to rationalise this decisions. We simply follow his decisions on the whim.

He seems to view us as one last chance to experiment before he hangs up his notepad. But it's evidently not worked,yet he persists .

RedRover

The best Van Gaal had always been one with filters. Especially in the transfer market. After the first season at Bayern were he signed Braafheid and Pranjic(two woeful signings)and got rid of Lucio,the club stepped in.Very well too as he was vetoing the signing of Neuer too.

The United model of letting the manager make up his iwn mind is a good one,just one not suited for a tinkering maverick like Van Gaal. Someone should have stepped in when he was selling all our attackers in the summer, or at least asked him to rationalise this decisions. We simply follow his decisions on the whim.

He seems to view us as one last chance to experiment before he hangs up his notepad. But it's evidently not worked,yet he persists .
Indeed. I don't dislike the bloke, he's just past it and it's sad to watch this.

It's almost like he club feel sorry for him. I can't see him lasting past the summer. Hopefully anyway.

K2K

Indeed. I don't dislike the bloke, he's just past it and it's sad to watch this.

It's almost like he club feel sorry for him. I can't see him lasting past the summer. Hopefully anyway.
Yes,that does seem so.

Rather than fire him midseason in his last job,it seems we want to give a more dignified sendoff. However I think such sentimentality has come at a huge cost to us.

Let's hope the right decision is made and we go our seperate ways.

RedRover

Yes,that does seem so.

Rather than fire him midseason in his last job,it seems we want to give a more dignified sendoff. However I think such sentimentality has come at a huge cost to us.

Let's hope the right decision is made and we go our seperate ways.
Lets hope so. It might be good to see something concrete before next week: Confirm he's off and then the fans can get behind him in his last game where he can hopefully go out on a high

Judas

Open to offers
I just don't know how Castles is going to cope when Jose is here and he can't spend his time just trying to wind us up. He's just getting all his pent up wum energy out now before it's too late.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I just don't know how Castles is going to cope when Jose is here and he can't spend his time just trying to wind us up. He's just getting all his pent up wum energy out now before it's too late.
If only he invested so much of his time/energy trying to find a cure for baldness the massive slap head.

Owngoalscorer

Would love to see the fekker at Everton - like that we can see if the twat really is better than Moyes without having to put up with his slimy persona here first :lol:

bubbles_

Mendes must be losing his touch if he's trying to scare us by saying Jose Mourinho will go to Everton :lol:

LARulz

To be fair, Everton would be stupid to not at least ask no matter how unrealistic

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Our attack has been lot better in the last month.
Hehehe. Santiago, is that you?
Mate, our attack this last month was just as impotent as its ever been.

In our last 6 games we have scored: 9 goals @ 1.5 goals/game.
This includes Villa, C.Palaca & Norwich who were all beaten before the game started and seemed to have "downed tools".

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Castles says Everton in for Mourinho. Stranger things have happened i guess
Messi to MCFC.
Neymar, Muller, Bale, Ramos, (and a bunch of others) to MUFC.
Mourinho to Everton.

Some decisions are strange. The above decisions would have been completely bonkers. :D

sunama

Baghdad Bob
On what basis do you claim Everton haven't approached him?
They probably have.
I'm sure Miss World gets asked out by a lot men. It doesn't mean they have any chance of actually going out on a date with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.