BBC: United hold talks with Mourinho

Would you be happy to see Jose Mourinho become next United manager?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
We are, he won 4 in the last 7 years which is more accurate than saying 4 in 20 because he wasnt a club manager for a long time. But you knew that already.
Since he left Holland in 2002

-Barcelona where he got sacked in January while being in 12th place
-A year as DoF at Ajax
- 4 years at AZ which ended in a title win (At a time when Steve McClaren won the title the year after with FC Twente)
- 2 seasons at Bayern where he won league and FA cup in year one and then sacked in year 2 when it looked like he will miss CL
- Netherlands again but 3rd place this time

So 7 league seasons with 2 titles and an FA cup. Nowhere near Mourinho

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

-A year as DoF at Ajax
- 4 years at AZ which ended in a title win (At a time when Steve McClaren won the title the year after with FC Twente)
- 2 seasons at Bayern where he won league and FA cup in year one and then sacked in year 2 when it looked like he will miss CL

I didnt realize he was competing with Mourinho for the job. Chill out Jose

talking robot

One aspect that makes me favor Mourinho over Giggs is that Mourinho has the appeal and connections to bring in some of the game's top players. As we've seen with transfer saga's surrounding players like Fabregas, Neymar, and Muller, it's not simple to tempt the best players to change clubs. Money is necessary but not sufficient as these players seek out strong managers to tie their fortunes to. I think Mourinho can make us competitive for players of this caliber, but Giggs would struggle in my opinion.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
No, literally million years ago. Inter and Porto never happened. He's only won title when he had billions at his disposal and in the past 10 years he lost all games.

You're rewriting history to suit your agenda.
LVG won lots too...didnt mean shit to a lot on here from day one
I didnt realize he was competing with Mourinho for the job. Chill out Jose
You're the one who brought LVG up

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

-A year as DoF at Ajax

Mourinho also easily beat him in a Champions league final.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Poch, Giggs, Blanc, Simeone and others have all been named. As others have pointed out there are not many clubs who want Mourinho.

Chelsea - just sacked after the worst season from a manager in prem history
Real - already gone after being booed out of his last game
Liverpool - hate him and won't hire him
Arsenal - hate him and won't hire him
Barce - hate him and won't hire him
Bayern - used to nice attacking football and won't hire him.
Juve - don't want him.
Not a good post there man.

Chelsea - Worst season from a manager in premier league history? :nono: :houllier: Mental!
Real - feck Real
Liverpool - feck Liverpool. Mourinho hates them almost as much as me and every other United supporter.
Arsenal - Agreed.
Barca - Stranger things have happened.
Bayern - They hired LvG :smirk:
Juve - Don't need him at the moment.

As far as Poch, Blanc and Simeone goes...

Poch is not mental. He's not going to leave what he's building at Spurs to come to this mess. Also, if he is successful, clubs like Barcelona and Real will come knocking.

Blanc - Manager of his hometown club, CL football and all the money to burn. Why would he leave that?

Simeone - Never know but,doubtful

So that leaves Giggs... :nervous::nono:
Whatever happened this season, Mourinho is a winner. And if there is one thing this club needs at this moment, it's a winner. I don't know why some people are anti Mourinho....

If it's because of his behaviour, Fergie, Giggs,Martin Edwards, Cantona, have all been guilty of worse so, the holier than thou attitude needs to be dropped on that score. Even Charlton had a bit of a bad episode once.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Not a good post there man.

Chelsea - Worst season from a manager in premier league history? :nono: :houllier: Mental!
Real - feck Real
Liverpool - feck Liverpool. Mourinho hates them almost as much as me and every other United supporter.
Arsenal - Agreed.
Barca - Stranger things have happened.
Bayern - They hired LvG :smirk:
Juve - Don't need him at the moment.

As far as Poch, Blanc and Simeone goes...

Poch is not mental. He's not going to leave what he's building at Spurs to come to this mess. Also, if he is successful, clubs like Barcelona and Real will come knocking.

Blanc - Manager of his hometown club, CL football and all the money to burn. Why would he leave that?

Simeone - Never know but,doubtful

So that leaves Giggs... :nervous::nono:
Whatever happened this season, Mourinho is a winner. And if there is one thing this club needs at this moment, it's a winner. I don't know why some people are anti Mourinho....

If it's because of his behaviour, Fergie, Giggs,Martin Edwards, Cantona, have all been guilty of worse so, the holier than thou attitude needs to be dropped on that score. Even Charlton had a bit of a bad episode once.
You are preaching to an unconvertable.

His obsession with Mourinho's failures while sticking up for managerial disasters like David Moyes shows his bias.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
You are preaching to an unconvertable.

His obsession with Mourinho's failures while sticking up for managerial disasters like David Moyes shows his bias.
Who cares about some loser that failed to win more than 1 title at Real Madrid when we just hired David Moyes.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Season 1 - League, Uefa Cup
Season 2 - League, Champions League
Season 3 - League, League Cup
Season 4 - League
Season 5 - FA cup, League cup
Season 6 - League
Season 7 - League, FA cup, Champions League
Season 8 - FA Cup
Season 9 - League
Season 10 -
Season 11 -
Season 12 - League, League Cup

Mourinho so far, an insane record...funny how Moyes beat him to the United job

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
When Twigg hates you, this is the end. He absolutely despised Kagawa and never went back. Won't even admit now that Kagawa has been good for Dortmund.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Season 4 - League
Season 6 - League
Season 8 - FA Cup
Season 9 - League
Season 10 -
Season 11 -

cant really argue with his track record

FujiVice

Season 4 - League
Season 6 - League
Season 8 - FA Cup
Season 9 - League
Season 10 -
Season 11 - Hilariously ended Liverpool's title dream.

I'll fix that for you.

Minimalist

There's a lot of similarities between Fergie and Mourinho in terms of personality - whether people want to admit it or not.
I think for simplicity you would have to say Mourinho is the closest manager to Ferguson that currently exists.

Which is why it's so amazing when lots on here attack his personality and behaviour. We shouldn't condone it but you can't praise Ferguson on the one hand and then try to suggest Mourinho's ego and behaviour makes him unsuitable for the job.

Ferguson has the biggest ego I've ever seen in football. We didn't mind it that much when he was winning things. I don't think we'll mind it when Mourinho wins things.

Cina

At this stage regardless of anything else I'd be happy to get Mourinho purely to see how Twigginator reacts to it throughout his tenure.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
So nothing announced about him coming or LvG going. Could it be something in his Chelsea contract that said he was not allowed to join a Prem club in the same season?

.Rossi

I think for simplicity you would have to say Mourinho is the closest manager to Ferguson that currently exists.

Which is why it's so amazing when lots on here attack his personality and behaviour. We shouldn't condone it but you can't praise Ferguson on the one hand and then try to suggest Mourinho's ego and behaviour makes him unsuitable for the job.

Ferguson has the biggest ego I've ever seen in football. We didn't mind it that much when he was winning things. I don't think we'll mind it when Mourinho wins things.
Ferguson called a man fat and unfit to be a referee in football. He also had numerous fallings out with the board, fought the club's shareholders over a horse he didn't own, booted a football boot at Becks, tried to start a fight with Paul Ince at half time at the Nou Camp, fell out with heaps of players, said Wenger should piss off back to Japan and claimed teams near the relegation zone only tried against United and no one else and cheated their managers......

Yet, we all loved him and never questioned him.....

I'd love Fergie even more if I found out he had a stadium ban but hid in a laundry basket to get into the dressing room

littlepeasoup

Ferguson called a man fat and unfit to be a referee in football. He also had numerous fallings out with the board, fought the club's shareholders over a horse he didn't own, booted a football boot at Becks, tried to start a fight with Paul Ince at half time at the Nou Camp, fell out with heaps of players, said Wenger should piss off back to Japan and claimed teams near the relegation zone only tried against United and no one else and cheated their managers......

I'd love Fergie even more if I found out he had a stadium ban but hid in a laundry basket to get into the dressing room
:lol: Agreed.

Minimalist

Well that's just it. You've summed up Ferguson's negative side quite well.

The thing is, I don't fecking mind if people don't like Mourinho for how he behaves. Just don't let me catch you talking about Ferguson like he was some of footballing God sent to provide us with riches. This is the romantic lot that exists in our club - they have absolutely no consistency and rely on their feelings for pretty much everything they want to talk about.

Mourinho == Ferguson. If you don't like Mourinho, you didn't like Ferguson.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Season 4 - League
Season 6 - League
Season 8 - FA Cup
Season 9 - League
Season 10 -
Season 11 -

Yeah.. thats all fine but can he do it on a windy night at the Britannia?

stevoc

Actually, there's a huge difference, van Gaal has won feck all since 2010.

In fact, he's amassed an incredible 4 trophies in nearly 20 years.

Regardless, a large percentage of this forum were very happy when van Gaal was appointed mainly due to his history.
Not a fact at all, he has won more than that. In the last 20 years he won 1 trophy in 1 year at Ajax, 3 trophies in 3 years at Barca, 1 trophy in in 4 years at AZ and 2 trophies in 2 years at Bayern. So counting his full year at United thats 7 trophies 11 full seasons at club level.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Agreed. It would be quite something if we reject Mourinho twice for Moyes and Giggs which is why I don't think it will happen. It's just too ridiculous surely
That's exactly what I'm thinking.
We rejected him the first time and he went on to win Chelsea the title.
Surely, we can't do the same thing again...can we?

Acquire Me

Season 4 - League
Season 6 - League
Season 8 - FA Cup
Season 9 - League
Season 10 -
Season 11 -

We should have got the best man when we had the chance. Moyes was more of a gamble we could not afford at the time imo. Done is done, and I welcome Mourinho as our next manager.

Acquire Me

So nothing announced about him coming or LvG going. Could it be something in his Chelsea contract that said he was not allowed to join a Prem club in the same season?
I could. Also, for his own sake, it would be much better to start clean in june. He would be able to get the players he needs, get to know our club and be part of the pre-season.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Season 4 - League
Season 6 - League
Season 8 - FA Cup
Season 9 - League
Season 10 -
Season 11 -

fa cup?

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I could. Also, for his own sake, it would be much better to start clean in june. He would be able to get the players he needs, get to know our club and be part of the pre-season.
Agree with this line of thought.
Don't we have the Euro's this summer though? lets hope the board are active during and not sititng on their hands like they were 2/3'rds the way through both summers when LvG & Moyes came in.

.Rossi

Imagine a last minute winner at the Stretford end and we see this

How can anyone not want this man? :drool: The Scouse absolutely despise him and he hates them. That should be enough reason to get him in :D

Irrational.

Imagine a last minute winner at the Stretford end and we see this

How can anyone not want this man? :drool: The Scouse absolutely despise him and he hates them. That should be enough reason to get him in :D
Exactly - imagine if he induced this kind of rage every season:

:drool:

I think he's definitely coming, only I think our club are better at keeping secrets than Citeh, who seem to have some sort of pre-ejaculation of news Syndrome, and I hope will pay the price.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
When Twigg hates you, this is the end. He absolutely despised Kagawa and never went back. Won't even admit now that Kagawa has been good for Dortmund.
He just wasn't very good for us. I originally was over the moon when we signed him, but he was pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.