Beating Madrid

Revan

Assumptionman
No one actually believes a loss would be better than a draw. It's a running -unfunny- joke on here.
I have a friend of mibe who's Madrid fan and he said that he prefers a 0-0 to 2-1 win. It's pretty stupid but a lot of people say it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
A 6-3 loss would be good for us. The worst we could do at Bernabeu would be 0-0, it means we go out if we concede at OT.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just moving on for the moment from the, can a defeat be a draw saga and back to team gossip.

All the Real Madrid players (except Casillas of course) trained today including Alonso - it's assumed that means Mourinho's got all of them available now.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I can see this finishing 3-1 to them and us winning by a similar scoreline at home.

Just for the record, by initial comments were 'a loss with an away goal wouldn't be disastrous'. Kind of got sucked into the 'lets design a scenario where this score beats that score'.

For example, if we draw the overall tie with goals and we've drawn 0-0 at their place, it's a shit result. If we draw the overall tie by losing and scoring at their place, depending on who's scored and where we could win the tie. But as with everyone else in this thread, I'm fabricating a scenario in which an away goal becomes effective to suit my scenario.

Deep down, I just can't wait and I hope the reds who get out there have a great night.

It's a hard one to judge because Madrid have been horribly inconsistent all season long...but this is their priority now. Much like 2002 when Rafa won the league with Valencia and Madrid were in 3rd place. If Ronaldo can spur them on like Zidane did (and he is capable), they can go all the way. They know how to play against Barca better than anyone (should it come to it), despite not always coming out on top.

But that being said, I feel our team unit is just as strong, if not stronger and we've got Rooney and van Persie for them to think about as well as our defence becoming good again. It's a shame it's a last 16 tie to be honest, this would've been a fitting semi final.

Keltoi

I'd have (4-1-4-1):
--------------------DDG
----------Rafael--Rio---Vidic--Evra
-------------------Jones
-----Young/Valencia-Cleverly-Carrick-Rooney
-------------------RVP

I'd bring Nani and Hernandez on for the last 20-25 mins depending on how the game is going but we cant afford to start Nani.

Shimo

I'd bring Nani and Hernandez on for the last 20-25 mins depending on how the game is going but we cant afford to start Nani.
I disagree on can't afford to start Nani. Against Barca in the Wembley final he showed that he is a player that we can use when teams press us like them to win the ball back quickly. Something that Madrid will definitely do - something they've had to do to compete against Barca and become very adept at handling.

As such I think we do need the likes of Nani, Cleverley, Kagawa out there to make sure we retain possession when we do get it. I think we'll play on the counter-attack but, that also means when we do get the ball - we'll need players that can hold on to the ball and move it quickly around.

manutddjw

I disagree on can't afford to start Nani. Against Barca in the Wembley final he showed that he is a player that we can use when teams press us like them to win the ball back quickly. Something that Madrid will definitely do - something they've had to do to compete against Barca and become very adept at handling.

As such I think we do need the likes of Nani, Cleverley, Kagawa out there to make sure we retain possession when we do get it. I think we'll play on the counter-attack but, that also means when we do get the ball - we'll need players that can hold on to the ball and move it quickly around.
I agree with you in regards to Nani, but I don't think there's a chance in hell Nani starts against Madrid. Even when he's in top form, he's been dropped to the bench in our biggest games such as against Barcelona and the game against City last season, so I don't see why it would be any different this time around.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
So we can basically lose 5-4 and then lose 1-0 at OT and still advance?

You've got to love the CL.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I agree with you in regards to Nani, but I don't think there's a chance in hell Nani starts against Madrid. Even when he's in top form, he's been dropped to the bench in our biggest games such as against Barcelona and the game against City last season, so I don't see why it would be any different this time around.
That's not true at all, is it?

He was off form for 2-3 months before the Barcelona game.

We played City four times last season and Nani started all four.

Why oh why there are so many blatant untruths on here that suggest SAF doesn't know what he's doing is beyond me. It's fecking disgusting how spoilt, stupid and blind so many of you cnuts are.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
In fairness with Ronaldo it's pretty much damage limitation, it's impossible to fully nullify him.
True, but if you can limit him to shots from distance as much as possible then your in a better place.

Will we man mark him or leave ourselves more structured and try to cope that way.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
So has anyone discussed how were going to deal with Ronnie in this 34 page monster?
I have, somewhere.

You man mark the "pretty boy" and hope to keep him down to one goal. Jones is the man for the job. No guarantee it will work, but letting Ronaldo run freely is not an option.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
True, but if you can limit him to shots from distance as much as possible then your in a better place.

Will we man mark him or leave ourselves more structured and try to cope that way.
I think the team will be set up in a system to limit Ronaldo's chances rather than a specific player man marking him.

Irwinwastheking

I have, somewhere.

You man mark the "pretty boy" and hope to keep him down to one goal. Jones is the man for the job. No guarantee it will work, but letting Ronaldo run freely is not an option.
I tend to agree with you there. Got to put someone on him and as much as it bothers me we would have to rough him up a little and try to get him riled up into doing something silly. Jones would be good for this, but has he got any pace?

I think the team will be set up in a system to limit Ronaldo's chances rather than a specific player man marking him.
I think Ruud is closer to the right answer. Madrid are very one dimensional (I know they have other great players) and if you can stop Ronnie then you will tend to stop them. Of course you don't want to leave any of their other forwards free as a result, but a man to man job seems a must.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If its 0-0 on Wednesday then we only have to score one more than them at OT. And we are capable of that
No, it means we're out if we concede 1 at Old Trafford. We can't advance if they score.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Man marking Ronaldo could work in Madrid's favour though, we need to worry about Özil, Benzema, and di Maria too!

Comsmit

Personally I think De Gea's contribution is going to be absolutely crucial if we are to progress. This is a moment where he can really step up and prove his doubters wrong. Real are going to come storming out of the blocks I feel, and he may be required to keep them at bay during the first 30 minutes.

Those first 30 minutes could be the most crucial in the whole tie. Get through that unscathed and confidence will grow.

Comsmit

I can't see any marking jobs on Ronaldo benefitting us in the slightest. It will be about closing down space in front of them and shifting Ronaldo, Kaka etc. out wide where they are not as effective. Rooney will need to shut down Alonso when not in possession, Carrick and especially Cleverley need to keep close together and track runners from deeper areas. There are very few teams as quick at moving the ball forward than Real.

It will be very tough and will require supreme concentration. Coupled with that we need to keep the ball so much better than we have been doing. I just hope they at least do themselves justice.

Irwinwastheking

Ah I really just can't wait for the game!
Same as.

This is one of the things that for me has made City look like such a small time club. They got an amazing draw for the group stages full of wonderful ties against top sides. There was a few years worth of potential classics in that one draw and all they did was moan. I would love a group like that and I was delighted when we drew Real in this round. We might get beat or we might win, but these are the type of games on which life long memories and legends are born. You don't get off your seat for most of the games in the CL now unless your in the semi or final. This one will have the eyes of the world on it and wont disappoint.

I have booked two days off work to watch these games that's how excited I am. Bloody Love this!!

jamesblonde

There was discussion on the previous page that if Jone's injury clears up, he'll do a man-marking job. The question is just whether it will be on Ronaldo or Ozil.
Also, expect Rooney to sit on Alonso.

MUFCgal

Same as.

This is one of the things that for me has made City look like such a small time club. They got an amazing draw for the group stages full of wonderful ties against top sides. There was a few years worth of potential classics in that one draw and all they did was moan. I would love a group like that and I was delighted when we drew Real in this round. We might get beat or we might win, but these are the type of games on which life long memories and legends are born. You don't get off your seat for most of the games in the CL now unless your in the semi or final. This one will have the eyes of the world on it and wont disappoint.

I have booked two days off work to watch these games that's how excited I am. Bloody Love this!!
So right. I sat in OT not long ago for a CL group match against some Romania team, and the atmosphere was just awful. The players as well looked like they couldn't be bothered.

Give me a match with Real anyday over that. Whether we win or lose, this is the ones that make the CL. Can't wait for it.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
So right. I sat in OT not long ago for a CL group match against some Romania team, and the atmosphere was just awful. The players as well looked like they couldn't be bothered.

Give me a match with Real anyday over that. Whether we win or lose, this is the ones that make the CL. Can't wait for it.
That's the thing. I believe our mediocre performances against minor CL sides causes too much negavity. When was the last time we didn't turn up for a big, knock-out European clash? 2006/07 at the San Siro?

Irwinwastheking

There was discussion on the previous page that if Jone's injury clears up, he'll do a man-marking job. The question is just whether it will be on Ronaldo or Ozil.
Also, expect Rooney to sit on Alonso.
It's games like this when you learn the true value of Rooney. I just hope that the defensive shift which he will undoubtedly put in doesn't negate his attacking threat too much.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Ah I really just can't wait for the game!
Same as.

That's it, men. Not many occasions these days that I'm consumed with excitement in the run up to a game but I'm bursting for this one. I'm insanely, illogically optimistic about it. Kids in bed for half seven Wednesday, clear the living room. Can't wait.