Beckham & Neymar talk about their careers

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
You mean a forward scored more goals than a midfielder? Well I'm shocked.

Beckham has also come closer to a Balon Do'r so Beckham obviously wins right?

Both are legends btw, Neymar more of a Brazilian Legend while Beckham is a sporting legend.
Well, Neymar's assist numbers also blow Beckham's out of the water

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Well, Neymar's assist numbers also blow Beckham's out of the water
I actually agree with you that Neymar was the better player, not for your hard on for stats though.

That being said, Beckham will always be a bigger legend that Neymar.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Not really relevant. Neymar is too much of an utter bellend to be classed as a legend.
Since when is that a stand out criteria for classing someone as a legend? In fact it makes him more memorable

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think Neymar is definitely the better player. However, how is Neymar's trophy haul more impressive? He's only won something like two league titles in a top league hasn't he?

Both have one CL, Neymar also has one Copa Libertadores. Beckham has six league titles, Neymar has 7 but only two of those in a top 4 league. Neymar has won 5 cups, among them 3 Copa del Reys, Beckham two FA Cups. Beckham has won nothing internationally, Neymar on the other hand has won the olympics and a confed cup.

So yeah, Beckham has more prestigous league titles but in the other categories, Neymar has a slight advantage - although he played only 4 years in a top league while Beckham more than 10. So yeah, I think they trophy haul is definitely comparable.

I didn't say "more impressive", I said "as impressive" by the way.

Righteous Steps

I think Neymar is definitely the better player. However, how is Neymar's trophy haul more impressive? He's only won something like two league titles in a top league hasn't he?
You could argue the PL wasn’t a top league in the 90’s, United apart.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Its amazing people use goals and assists to compare Neymar and Beckham.

TsuWave

That's actually more than a bit, well, wank, for a player of his talent.

• Only 4 European league titles? Becks has 8.
• Only 1 CL? same as Becks.
• Highest Ballon d'Or placing, just 3rd? Becks came 2nd.

Underachiever our Neymar.
Neymar has been in Europe 7 years :lol: He already has a CL and a Libertadores which is the South American equivalent.
His competition for ballon d’or are arguably both best players of all time, and his third place was controversial at the time as many felt he should have come second or even won.

You guys just get on here and type anything.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Zico has 68, it would seem.

Anyway, the percentage of Neymar's international goals that stem from friendlies is quite unusual - and doesn't do him any favours when comparing him to those other legends you mention.

Romario's friendly percentage is south of thirty - Neymar's is close to seventy. The latter has over 100 caps for Brazil at that - whereas Romario stands with 70 (55 goals).
Oh, yeah, my bad. Anyway, I'm not arguing that he is on the level of Zico or Romário — he's definitely not yet and probably won't ever be. His percentage of friendly goals has a lot to do with the amount of friendly games that has increased massively. Half of Messi's goals were scored in the friendlies. Cristiano has a way better percentage (only 17 goals out of 99), but he scores the most in the WC/Euro qualification games that have an ever lower value, considering the average level of his opponents (here's a table of his most "beloved" opponents at the international level):

I'm saying that no one has been able to do what he did for Brazil in the recent years, despite @TheReligion arguing that any dud can do it.

So Beckham - playing on the right wing - is a midfielder and Neymar - playing on the left wing - is a forward? How can that be the case? Have I missed that the goal on football pitches is placed more towards the lefthand side of the pitch all those years? Damn.
You’re surely not that stupid that I need to explain the difference between a right sided midfielder in a 4-4-2 and a left forward in a fluid 4-3-3.

fecking surely @Zehner you’ve watched a football match or two in your life?

Actually, thinking about this, I'd say your quoted post here is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on here; worse still, I think you know it is but just went with it anyway because you'd already gone half in regarding goals and assists and rather than back down, you just decided to go all in.

Last edited:
Both have one CL, Neymar also has one Copa Libertadores. Beckham has six league titles, Neymar has 7 but only two of those in a top 4 league.
Becks has 8 European league titles la’.

And the São Paulo state league isn't a league title any more than we should be listing Beckham's 3 Western Conference wins.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People saying Neymar isn't a legend ffs :lol:

He will go down as one of the best attacking players of his generation, bettered by only Messi/Ronaldo. In terms of pure talent he can do everything apart from score bullet headers.

He's got insane speed, excellent control and a fantastic eye for a pass. He really is the perfect wide forward.

But yeah... he rolls around a bit when he gets kicked :rolleyes:

Are you ok? he listed a bunch of minor titles like community shields and league cups, which I stated more than once I didn’t even care to do for Neymar besides mentioning them in passing.

I listed like 60% of the shit Neymar has won collectively and individually and it still has more major titles than Beckham

Behave yourself.
I've gotta have one more go at explaining this to you Tsu, as you're still struggling, now you're banging on about only being in Europe 7 years blah blah blah but that wasn't the point, I simply said that the poster had just proven to you that Neymar absolutely had not won more than Beckham on his CV.

NeymarBeckham
Major League titles (including France): 4Major League titles (including France): 8
Champions League: 1Champions League: 1
Ballon d'Or – Third place: 1Ballon d'Or – Runner-up: 1
Copa Libertadores: 1FIFA World Player of the Year Runner-Up: 2

Now both have plenty of UEFA individual awards and some South American awards which are hard to compare to each other but quite clearly Beckham's CV so far shits on Neymar's so I'm beyond confused at your stance. The Copa is a hard one to compare too, I'd say it's worth about as much as a league win in Spain or England but that's up for debate.

Neymar needs to get himself out of PSG this Summer and back into La Liga. Is he a more "talented" player than Beckham, of course, but his CV so far is worse despite that, why on Earth are you trying to deny that?

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You’re surely not that stupid that I need to explain the difference between a right sided midfielder in a 4-4-2 and a left forward in a fluid 4-3-3.

fecking surely @Zehner you’ve watched a football match or two in your life?

Actually, thinking about this, I'd say your quoted post here is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on here; worse still, I think you know it is but just went with it anyway because you'd already gone half in regarding goals and assists and rather than back down, you just decided to go all in.
Just that Neymar is no forward. Wouldn't be suprised if his heat maps are actually closer to his own goal than Beckham's since he often drops deep and initiates the build up, similarly to Messi. He even did that at Barcelona when he was played out wide exclusively. Him and Beckham are definitely comparable in terms of the spaces they operate in.

But Beckham had a far more limited tool set. Essentially the only way he could open up defenses from open play was his insane crossing ability since he wasn't particularly fast, a mediocre dribbler and not really a visionary passer. Neymar on the other hand can outpace most defenses and take on multiple opponents at once thanks to his dribbling skills and close control.

By the way, those terms are used completely randomly. Messi is usually referred to as a right sided forward although he quite often falls back and picks up the ball around the half way line with 5+ team mates ahead of him on the pitch, at times even the midfield.

Just that Neymar is no forward.
Lolz

I’m trying to work out if you’ve never watched Neymar who does next to feck all defensive work or if you’ve never watched Becks who was renowned for his defensive work.
Neymar’s starting position is way higher up the pitch then Becks ever was in our 4-4-2, but this debate is pointless, if you seriously think there’s any chance in the World Neymar plays closer to his own goal than Becks, you’ve either never watched Becks (too young) or you’re smoking some seriously good shit.
Or.... you made a terrible point and simply don’t wanna back track, instead diving further and further down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:

In Rainbows

Lads, why is it that I'm the only one that brought up the fact that Neymar likes touching his mom's arse?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Neymar is a legend, just for another generation. He has 133 million followers in Instagram alone. It's really funny how people's dislike of him, which I can understand, translates into the constant underrating of his ability or achievements.
Absolutely
Total, utter bollocks.

Nowhere near Messi, Ronaldo, Maradona or even Zidane for that matter.
He didn’t say he was, he was talking about the potential Neymar had, which is a fair enough point.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Lolz

I’m trying to work out if you’ve never watched Neymar who does next to feck all defensive work or if you’ve never watched Becks who was renowned for his defensive work.
Neymar’s starting position is way higher up the pitch then Becks ever was in our 4-4-2, but this debate is pointless, if you seriously think there’s any chance in the World Neymar plays closer to his own goal than Becks, you’ve either never watched Becks (too young) or you’re smoking some seriously good shit.
Or.... you made a terrible point and simply don’t wanna back track, instead diving further and further down the rabbit hole.
What has the part with the defensive work to do with the position? When a midfielder has a bad work rate in the defense, does that suddenly make him a forward?

And yes, Neymar does play a lot deeper than you seem to think. I mean, in fact he occasionally is played as an attacking midfielder so that can hardly be something you find ridiculous to say.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
When one was helping out his full back multiple times per game and the other doesn’t even know he has a full back on his team.

Stop calling Neymar a midfielder, you sound ridiculous.
I don't call Neymar a midfielder, I'm saying that his position, however you want to call it, is comparable with Beckham's on the right hand side. Thing is, if Beckham were to play in a modern system, his position would be the righthand equvilant of Neymar's position.

And no, defensive work rate has zero to do with the position. Neymar is simply a defensively lazy winger.

Funnily, the 4-4-2 you mentioned nowadays is primarily played as an against the ball formation in pressing line ups and guess what position Neymar occupies in that formation.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I don't call Neymar a midfielder, I'm saying that his position, however you want to call it, is comparable with Beckham's on the right hand side. Thing is, if Beckham were to play in a modern system, his position would be the righthand equvilant of Neymar's position.

And no, defensive work rate has zero to do with the position. Neymar is simply a defensively lazy winger.
I'd say in a classic "flat" 4-4-2 Neymar would most likely play second striker, like Bergkamp, Raul etc., not as a winger like Beckham.
Funnily, the 4-4-2 you mentioned nowadays is primarily played as an against the ball formation in pressing line ups and guess what position Neymar occupies in that formation.
4-3-3 wingers (including inverted wide forwards) usually occupy the wings when teams defend in a 4-4-2 formation, if I'm not mistaken? Don't think that's really a hint.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

The discussion about league strength and Neymar throwing his career away in France got me interested enough to look up what the coefficients were for English league during Beckham's time there. It was slightly lower than i thought it would be for the '90s from 5th for 1995 to 7, 7, 6, 6, 5 then up to 3 at the end of 2001 and stayed there until he moved to Real Madrid. Since 2001 it hasn't been out of the top 3.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'd say in a classic "flat" 4-4-2 Neymar would most likely play second striker, like Bergkamp, Raul etc., not as a winger like Beckham.

4-3-3 wingers (including inverted wide forwards) usually occupy the wings when teams defend in a 4-4-2 formation, if I'm not mistaken? Don't think that's really a hint.
Depends on the stage of his career. Now that he's being used as a CAM quite often, yes, the second striker would also be a likely position. But up until his PSG move, I'd say it would be the wing.

They do and it makes sense since both positions are very close to each other from a spatial perspective which was kind of my initial point ;)

Jev

So much bitterness towards Neymar in this thread, what the feck. People are so precious about United players being bigger legends. It's childish.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
1x Libertadores
2x La Liga
3x Copa Del Rey
1x CL
2x Ligue Un
1x Coupe De France
1x Confederations cup
1x Libertadores MVP
2x South American player of the year
1x Ligue 1 player of the year
7x FIFPro team of the year

and a bunch of other minor titles. All the while getting accolades for either being top scorer or providing most assists in said tournaments.

He’s also the Brazilian with most goals in the CL and by the time he retires he’ll be Brazil’s leading goalscorer. And the guy only just turned 28.

Living legend.
So...... 2 La Liga, 1 CL and lots of goals for Brazil?.....

He’s behind thousands of players.

Good player. Great talent. That’s about it.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Depends on the stage of his career. Now that he's being used as a CAM quite often, yes, the second striker would also be a likely position. But up until his PSG move, I'd say it would be the wing.
I think it goes for any stage of his career (reasoning see below).
They do and it makes sense since both positions are very close to each other from a spatial perspective which was kind of my initial point ;)
On the team sheet perhaps, but not so much in terms of on-the-pitch movement and function. Classic wingers usually had their stronger foot on the outside, tended to provide width in attack, and played crosses quite often. Beckham was a classic example of that, imo. Modern wide forwards usually have their stronger foot on the inside, and tend to move towards the center/into the box more, scoring significantly more than assisting. That's how I see Neymar when playing wide, although he's a particularly creative type of course.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

PSG are literally playing a flat 4-4-2 now and he's playing left wing - and probably been in the best form of his career ( atleast In PSG ) since the switch.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
PSG are literally playing a flat 4-4-2 now and he's playing left wing - and probably been in the best form of his career ( atleast In PSG ) since the switch.
Can't rule out I'm missing something, of course. But would you say he interprets his role similar to Beckham in his Utd days?

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
So...... 2 La Liga, 1 CL and lots of goals for Brazil?.....

He’s behind thousands of players.

Good player. Great talent. That’s about it.
If we go with trophy hauls as the main criteria then Maxwell is one of the greatest footballers of all time.

TsuWave

I've gotta have one more go at explaining this to you Tsu, as you're still struggling, now you're banging on about only being in Europe 7 years blah blah
I don’t know if you’re being purposely obtuse or this is your regular state :lol: This is a direct quote from you:

That's actually more than a bit, well, wank, for a player of his talent.

• Only 4 European league titles? Becks has 8.
See how you emphasised Neymar only had 4 European league titles whereas Beckham has 8? That needs to be contextualised. Neymar has only been in Europe for 7 years. Is this really hard to grasp?

quite clearly Beckham's CV so far shits on Neymar's
It doesn’t. Repeating this fan-fiction a bunch of times will not make it true.

You even comically added FIFA world player of the year and balon d’or runner up as a crutch for Beckham despite the fact these awards were merged into one during Neymar’s time. Again, behave yourself.

UnrelatedPsuedo

If we go with trophy hauls as the main criteria then Maxwell is one of the greatest footballers of all time.
I wasn’t going with trophy halls.

Someone listed Neymars medals. Most of them were absolutely worthless.

He’s a one little of note and people are talking as if he’s a legend of football. There are thousands of players above him.

Nike support and some YouTube highlights seem to go a long way these days.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Premier league titles aren’t the be all end all in football.

Yawn.

Neymar is a football legend. Bigger than many a United player that fans hold in that regard, by the way.
I didn’t say anything about the PL. I think you’ve confused me with someone else.

Adam-Utd

Can't rule out I'm missing something, of course. But would you say he interprets his role similar to Beckham in his Utd days?
No, he comes inside on his right foot from the left and acts as a playmaker. He and Di Maria both stay wide then cut inside and look for through passes or play 1-2's, especially with Mbappe.