Behind closed doors - what teams will benefit most?...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In the event of all or majority of next season being played behind closed doors, how do you think that may impact specific teams and players? I imagine that differences will be largely marginal - but there are certain teams I think will gain or lose more than others.

Liverpool, for example, will not look so invincible in an empty Anfield - and of you take a lead there, that galvanisation from the Kop won’t be there to help them. I think they rely on their home fans more than most at the top end of the league.

Relegation strugglers will also struggle massively I think. When you are far less good than your opponent, they seem to rely on the atmosphere to lift them and bridge the gap a bit.

Teams like City, who I don’t feel particularly rely upon a home advantage, I can see having a slight edge here. I think they will be the same team in an empty Etihad as they are in a half-empty one. Arsenal are a team I feel struggle under the pressure of their own fans too, and also struggle away from home, so perhaps no fans at all will help them!

New signings may feel less pressure, however, overall quality and excitement of the game over the course of the season will likely be lower, as matches will lack the intensity.

Just looking at this solely from an on-field perspective.

Nickelodeon

Bigger teams in general. Sometimes, the smaller teams rise up to the occasion, particularly at home, and are more likely to cause an upset. Games like a Burnley or Crystal Palace away would certainly seem less threatening in an empty stadium.

However, it's all theoretical since there's no data to back it up.

pacifictheme

Anfield is myth most weeks. Their fans are as shit as everyone else's a lot of the time.

TheLord

I do not want to be rude, but I think City will not find it any different from their usual games at the Emptyhad.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Shit ones that don’t have to worry about getting booed of the pitch. Our players would have loved this under Mourinho.

City, obviously. Just another game for them.

Anybody playing against shithouses like Burnley who rely on their crowd to get them all psyched up for a day of fouling.

Maybe us, with our seemingly glass mentality. We're a top team talent wise but we shit ourselves at the first sign of difficulty. Maybe not having a crowd will relax us.

Skills

Snitch
Us probably. Our fans don't make it easy for our players. If you're playing at Old Trafford, you've got to think twice before attempting a dribble or a risky pass in case it pisses of the serial groaners and moaners.

Paul_Scholes18

Hopefully it helps us. Although our away support is normally great. Think it will help Spurs and Arsenal. Maybe Chelsea too since they have struggled at home.

reddev3

He couldn't avoid the action - which is why it's not a red. Case closed.
Bigger teams in general. Sometimes, the smaller teams rise up to the occasion, particularly at home, and are more likely to cause an upset. Games like a Burnley or Crystal Palace away would certainly seem less threatening in an empty stadium.

However, it's all theoretical since there's no data to back it up.
Have to agree with this, I mean look at the LASK game, they are meant to be a decent team and were at home but it looked like a training exercise for us.

Having more bite/fight is normally the great equalizer when the higher quality teams go away to smaller away teams and that all comes form the crowd. When all things are equal the higher quality will always win.

RyRy11

Bit of a bump. Theres a few rumours surrounding the NFL suggesting they may play canned crowd noise on their broadcasts if games are played BCD. Seeing as its more and more likely the Premier league will finish the season the same way is there any talk about this being adopted? Watching the LASK game would have been absolutely dire if we didn't score 5 to keep it somewhat interesting.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Bit of a bump. Theres a few rumours surrounding the NFL suggesting they may play canned crowd noise on their broadcasts if games are played BCD. Seeing as its more and more likely the Premier league will finish the season the same way is there any talk about this being adopted? Watching the LASK game would have been absolutely dire if we didn't score 5 to keep it somewhat interesting.
They did it for parts of the game in South Korea (that was on the red button) and it sounded pretty decent tbh. Ofcourse it's no substitute for a crowd but it's much better than nothing atall.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'd prefer they do not pump noise. You pick up a lot of the conversation and tactical instructions from the sidelines on a quieter feed which you wouldn't otherwise be able to hear.

RyRy11

They did it for parts of the game in South Korea (that was on the red button) and it sounded pretty decent tbh. Ofcourse it's no substitute for a crowd but it's much better than nothing atall.
Oh really? I'll have to try and find some re-runs to see how well its implemented.

RyRy11

I'd prefer they do not pump noise. You pick up a lot of the conversation and tactical instructions from the sidelines on a quieter feed which you wouldn't otherwise be able to hear.
Thats fair. I just wonder how long people will stay watching a dull 0-0 without any type of noise to create some excitement, especially when we are all very used to crowd noise on a televised game.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Oh really? I'll have to try and find some re-runs to see how well its implemented.
If you want to do it quickly they had the sound effects on when the late goal went in.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
@RyRy11 to give you a further update there's a live match in South Korea right now on YouTube (Busan Vs Jeonbuk) where they are (at this minute, second half just began) using sound effects all be it a bit quieter than I remembered it last week.

RyRy11

@RyRy11 to give you a further update there's a live match in South Korea right now on YouTube (Busan Vs Jeonbuk) where they are (at this minute, second half just began) using sound effects all be it a bit quieter than I remembered it last week.
Went back and watched the replay and I could see it working out quite nicely. Like you said that game could have done with turning up the volume a bit but add live commentary over the top, you could probably fool a casual viewer.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
City and Arsenal. For obvious reasons.
I wonder if we'll get better AFTV meltdowns. Robbie could do interviews on zoom immediately after the match when the usual are at their most riled up. Although, I don't know how much they play up to the crowd.

Carolina Red

Staff
I wonder if we'll get better AFTV meltdowns. Robbie could do interviews on zoom immediately after the match when the usual are at their most riled up. Although, I don't know how much they play up to the crowd.
:lol: Just do zoom during the match so we can see it as it happens without them even having a moment to collect their thoughts. Would be like the Matchday Thread featuring BludFam

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
:lol: Just do zoom during the match so we can see it as it happens without them even having a moment to collect their thoughts. Would be like the Matchday Thread featuring BludFam
Well in that case, I hope the rumours that DT beats his wife and kids when he's angry isn't true :nervous:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Do we get a choice for what kind of sound we get? What if they bring back the vuvuzela?! :nervous:

I read that some PL clubs are looking into a German created fan crowd noise app called myapplause. You basically click into match you are watching and have an range of emotions you can press, which get relayed bu suitable noise inside the stadium within 1 second.

Last edited:

RyRy11

Do we get a choice for what kind of sound we get? What if they bring back the vuvuzela?! :nervous:

I read that some PL clubs are looking into a German created fan generated crowd noise app called myapplause. You basically click into match you are watching and have an range of emotions you can press, which get relayed bu suitable noise inside the stadium within 1 second.
I remember reading about that app. Seems a bit dystopian but If they could figure out a way to make it tamper free then It wouldn't be the worst idea. Watching the German games earlier, the silence isn't awful but it feels a bit like you're watching a friendly or reserves game to me.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not so much a behind closed doors issue, but I do think Sheffield United will be one of the teams most affected by the long pause in general. It’s almost like the start of a new season again, and to ask them to come out and surprise us all over again will be quite an ask. I think now the league has stopped and taken stock of things, they will likely return to more of an expected level.