Behind the Curtain draft (Eastern Europe) | QF | green_smiley vs Downcast 8:6

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

@green_smiley _________________________________________________ @Downcast

The draft thread with lots of additional information
Write-ups on specific players

green_smiley

Formation: 4-3-3 winger

Tactics

A continuation of tactics from previous match, means the existing players are familiar with my strategy and able to carry out their task comfortably, while my new players are significant upgrades from previous players

The addition of Lato to my forward trio is very much welcomed. He is a complete team player, knows when to cut inside going for goal and when to make match-decider passes for his teammates to score. He is the only Polish player ever to win the Golden Boot at World Cup (1974)

Front three of Dzajic, Lato and Lewandowski to spearhead the attack, positioning themselves close to opposition's dangerous areas all the time, and make themselves available during attacking phase. Dzajic and Lato provide the width to stretch the opposition's defense with their pace, skill, and flair, creating space for lethal target man Lewandowski to score

My midfield trio remains unchanged, a nice blend of silk and steel. Dobrin is the playmaker and source of creativity, with great passing range and excellent dribbling skill, capable of carrying the ball forward from deep or scoring himself. He will be well supported by 2 central midfielders: Zanetic, a player with inexhaustible energy, equally brilliant in defensive and offensive plays; and Boban, a skillful, tenacious and ever-presence player to provide link between defense and attack

I also welcome Jusufi to my team, one of Yugoslavia's greatest defenders who can play full-back on both sides and was renowned for his never-say-die attitude, good defensive positioning and quality passing and technique. Him on the left and Fazlagic on the right will provide very strong support to the wingers during attacking phase, taking turn to push forward depending on the direction of attack

Forming a solid defensive partnership Tudor is Katalinski, 1974 Yugoslav Footballer of the Year, capable of sniffing out any opposition's threat. Also a threat in attacking set pieces, especially Katalinski, whom scored over 100 goals while playing for Sarajevo-based club Zeljeznicar in more than 350 games

Downcast

DC-ANDERS TEAM - The best of the 1950s
PLEASE CLICK ON THE NAMES TO ACCESS TO THE FULL PLAYER PROFILE

Ferenc PUSKAS - The Scorer - 662 goals in 669 games - The greatest Eastern European footballer of All-Times?

"The Galloping Major" was one of the most prolific scorers ever. He had great striking technique and was a deadly goal finisher with his precision left-foot, one of the greatest shooters ever. He always performed a formidable ball control to the nearby penalty box area and shot by himself or assist to his teammate.
Hidegkuti- Playmaking-Attacking Midfielder - Creativity, passing skills... and 304 goals in 450 games... To be explained below
A Total Football artist who contributed to the success of the Hungarian Golden team.
1954 FIFA World Cup All-Stars Team
Vukas - Left Wing-Forward - The Greatest Croatian player? - 300 goals in 615 games
Excellent technical player with very good stamina, able to score from every angle and deliver assists to a player in a better position. He could be found on every attacking position during the game. Many football experts said that he was the best European player during the 1954/1955 season.
In 2000 he was elected for the best Croatian football player of all times.
Chislenko - The best right winger in Soviet history - Percussion and combination - 2 WC played -> 4 goals in 8 games
Disciplined player with a high work-rate capable to play here in a more conservative way.Please click here :drool: to watch streamable links
Bozsik- Our Deep-lying Playmaker - Maestro/Conductor -One of the Greatest Central Midfielders
1954 FIFA World Cup All-Stars Team
Voynov- Defensive Midfielder - High work-rate, simplicity and reliability - Bobek will be his target
One of the best Central midfielders in the history of the Soviet football.
Selected to the 1958 FIFA World Cup team of the tournament.
Zebec - The perfect player to block Lato thanks to his skills and pace - Zebec-Vukas is a successful proven partnership
One of the greatest players in Yugoslavian who fascinated the world with his performances at the World Cups in 1954 and 1958. A highly versatile player noted for his physical abilities and understanding of the game, he was world class whether on the left wing or in the more defensive role of left fullback.
Tomislav Crnković - Left CB
Part of the team that won silver at the 1952 Olympics, and was also a member of Yugoslavia's 1954 and 1958 FIFA World Cup squads.
Popescu - One of the greatest Eastern European defenders - Former Captain of FC Barcelona
Beside from his defending skills, his is also capable of using the ball and starting attacks from deep with his technical and playmaking abilities.
Dinu - Right CB
Very elegant player with trademark long diagonal 40 meters passes, good technician and with solid pace. One of the key members of Romania during the 1970 World Cup and was even nominated for the Ballon d'Or that year.
Tomaszewski -The greatest Polish GK - Best Goalkeeper in the 1974 WC -The man who stopped England

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Downcast .. just want to say, was watching a game featuring Chislenko.. 'electric' is doing him a disservice. Fell in love with him immediately.

harms

Staff
Has Dinu ever played as a right back? It does seem like an obvious route to goal for :lol:, where Dzajic with his pace and trickery will beat his man on a regular basis

Downcast's midfield is a thing of beauty and the Hungarian spine is a huge advantage, obviously. Plus Zebec is facing Lato second game in a row, isn't he?

harms

Staff
@Downcast .. just want to say, was watching a game featuring Chislenko.. 'electric' is doing him a disservice. Fell in love with him immediately.
And he proved himself against the true greats of the game, like Facchetti (owning him every time they faced each other) or Moore-Banks (below)

If only his peak would've been longer. Mesmerizing player

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
The battle on my right side should be tight

Compilation on Lato's 7 goals in WC 1974 that earned him the Golden Boot, a show of precision, pace, positioning and awareness

Supported by Fazlagic, one the best full-backs on this draft, equally efficient in offense and defense

Different story on the left side though, as I believe I have a clear upper-hand

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Green_Smiley said:
Katalinski, 1974 Yugoslav Footballer of the Year, capable of sniffing out any opposition's threat. Also a threat in attacking set pieces, especially Katalinski, whom scored over 100 goals while playing for Sarajevo-based club Zeljeznicar in more than 350 games
That's very impressive for a defender, must be one of the highest scoring of all time.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sorry Downcast but your solution to the RB conundrum does not look good to me. Immediately jumps out as the weak link, even worse than if you had just left Crnkovic there.

Interested to hear a more detailed explanation as to how it would work, but for now my vote goes to green_smiley.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I'm all for creative solutions to big problems. And I'm open-minded on a centre-half operating as a right-back with the right skillset and in the right circumstances. But given that arguably the biggest problem a team without a designated right-back can face anywhere, any time, is Dragan Dzajic, interested to hear more about the overall approach to limiting the influence that he can yield on this game.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
That's very impressive for a defender, must be one of the highest scoring of all time.
Katalinski's most famous goal came from WC qualification against Spain in 1974 that elevated him to be Yugoslavia's hero

sefutbol said:

This Thursday it's the 40th anniversary of Katalinski's goal, who would leave Spain out of the Germany World Cup, a defeat that the National Team was not able to overcome

It occurred on February 13, 1974 , just three decades ago. Yugoslavia and Spain faced a playoff meeting in the German city of Frankfurt to settle which of the two teams qualified for the World Cup four months later was to play precisely in Germany.

The team led by Ladislao Kubala was doomed to replay that dramatic because of a Yugoslav both against Greece in the discount equalized us points and goals with plavi within the same group .

After concentration on the outskirts of Madrid and a friendly against Atletico team arrives in Germany wrapped up the support of the thousands of migrants who come to Frankfurt to give encouragement to the team.

In a Waldstadion crowded , rain in the air and mud on the pitch , a side kick to thirteen minutes ending with a header from a veteran Bosnian defender Josip Katalinski , and forever remembered with a touch of bitterness by fans . Iribar , able to repel the header can not do anything with the clearance that is sent to the network in an acrobatic position , as shown in the picture above , by the Yugoslav footballer .

From that moment the selection is powerless before the fighting spirit and the defensive network of the Balkan they achieve the pass for the World to willful but insufficient shoring equipment Kubala .

Iribar managed to clear Katalinski header, but could do nothing with the rebound just 40 years ago

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yeah, nice player :)

Has Dinu ever played as a right back? It does seem like an obvious route to goal for :lol:, where Dzajic with his pace and trickery will beat his man on a regular basis

Downcast's midfield is a thing of beauty and the Hungarian spine is a huge advantage, obviously. Plus Zebec is facing Lato second game in a row, isn't he?
1. Not to my knowledge.
2. Yeah! Second time!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sorry Downcast but your solution to the RB conundrum does not look good to me. Immediately jumps out as the weak link, even worse than if you had just left Crnkovic there.

Interested to hear a more detailed explanation as to how it would work, but for now my vote goes to green_smiley.
I will explain soon

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Why no Crncovik as a RB?

I've recently realized that Crncovik was a LCB/LB at his peak.

So, I had 3 options:

- an easy option: Crncovik as a LB and Zebec as a RB because the latter is the ultimate versatile player of this draft.
- a suboptimal option: Crncoviak
- a creative option: I consider Dzazic as great player, not as a disproportionate threat because I think he is just one of the 11 players.

Creative options are generally controversial ones that are likely to make this game more living.:angel:

Green_smiley is right to focus your attention on his left-winger. Maybe because it would be a bad idea to speak about the other battles, notably at the heart of the Game.

As you can see, I don't request individual marking on wingers so I expect a collective solution regarding the case of Dzajic: a good player with the ball who will get the consideration he deserves: one of the greatest right-footed defenders of the draft (Dinu), a complete right-side midfielder (Chislenko) with the anecdotal participation of players like Bozsic or Voynov who will consolidate the whole defensive unit. And I have Popescu who could cover Dinu...

Without the ball, I don't expect Dzajic to limit my strike force.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Regarding Katalinski, he was famous for his bombarding runs to attack so im guessing he got a fair share of his goals in that manner and not only after set-pieces.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Some examples of topics to be discussed

- What is the precise role of Boban here? Isn't Boban the kind of players who need freedom in tactical terms?
- Who is in charge of the management of Hidegkuti? More broadly what is the strategy to break the successful partnership Bozsik-Hidegkuti-Puskas?

In order to answer these questions, I invite you to click here

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
- What is the precise role of Boban here? Isn't Boban the kind of players who need freedom in tactical terms?
- Who is in charge of the management of Hidegkuti? More broadly what is the strategy to break the successful partnership Bozsik-Hidegkuti-Puskas?
Not sure why you said Boban is restricted

Both Boban and Zanetic are world-class midfielders who can dictate the pace of the game, be it in attacking and defensive phase. Boban is skillful yet tenacious, capable of injecting drive and energy to my midfield. Zanetic, on the other hand, is more elegant type with great range of passing and tactical awareness, while still good defensively, capable of breaking opponent's attacking play and creating passing option of himself for his teammates

Not to mention Dobrin who is my playmaker, capable of influencing the game with his creativity and dribbling skill. With Dzajic drawing defenders' attention most of the time, Dobrin will have enough space to create goal-scoring chances more frequently

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Some video clips taken from Yugoslavia vs Denmark in 1960 Olympics Final, which Yugoslavia won 3-1

Zanetic is #4, while Jusufi is #3

Zanetic blocking opponent's path, retrieving the ball and playing a quick lob pass forward

Zanetic with a long-range passing to right winger for quick counter-attack

Zanetic helping out Jusufi on the left side to get out of opponent's pressing

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
1953 "Match of the Century" (England vs. Hungary)

A friendly match was arranged for 25 November 1953 against England. England had never been defeated on home soil by a team from outside the British Isles (it lost to the Republic of Ireland in 1949), and the FA were complacent – as the inventors of the game, they were assured that their players were technically and tactically superior to any other countries. At the time, England were ranked as the 3rd best team in the world; Hungary were ranked as the best team in the world. The game was eagerly anticipated; the British Press reported it as "the Match of the Century".

The game was played in front of 105,000 in Wembley Stadium. Hungary simply demolished England; they scored in the first minute, and after 27 minutes they were 4–1 up. The final score was 6–3, with a hat-trick from Hidegkuti, two goals from Puskás and one from Bozsik. It was a footballing lesson that sent shockwaves through English football, and which ultimately caused English clubs to adopt continental coaching and tactics.

1ST GOAL ----> GOAL HIDEGKUTI

2ND GOAL ----> GOAL HIDEGKUTI

3rd GOAL ---> GOAL PUSKAS

5th GOAL --> GOAL BOZSIK

6th GOAL ---> HIDEGKUTI

Duo
Puskas-Hidegkuti

Last edited:

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
@Downcast there is no denying that Puskas-Hidegkuti-Bozsik is a tasty combo

However, they are just 3 players out of 11 that made up the famous Hungary national side. With a gap at your right-hand side, I don't think the trio will be able to exert as much influence as they want to

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Downcast there is no denying that Puskas-Hidegkuti-Bozsik is a tasty combo

However, they are just 3 players out of 11 that made up the famous Hungary national side. With a gap at your right-hand side, I don't think the trio will be able to exert as much influence as they want to
1. And Dzajic is just 1 player out of your starting 11 ;)
2. If they can't impact the game, then nobody will!

harms

Staff
@Downcast your descriptions aren't accurate - for example it was Czibor who assisted Puskas and the last goal was scored by Hidegkuti

harms

Staff
To be honest, even with the right back situation, I can't say that green_smiley's defence inspires confidence against the Hungarian fist, Tudor and Katalinski aren't flawless, and there's no monstrous DM to help them

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
To be honest, even with the right back situation, I can't say that green_smiley's defence inspires confidence against the Hungarian fist, Tudor and Katalinski aren't flawless, and there's no monstrous DM to help them
Think Downcast's back four will have more issue to cope with my attack. Even with his midfield players tracking back, eventually it will create more space for my attacking players to exploit

Tuppet

Was Chislenko a right midfielder a la Conte ? Wasn't he more of a second striker/wing forward type player. I don't think he is going to help much against Dzajic. @Downcast why didn't you go for Zebec on right side, you mentioned it above but didn't give any reason as to why you did not chose it, I think that was the best solution.

Agree with harms that GS's midfield is not optimal at all. But for me DC's right side is huge problem, esp given Dinu was more of a classy sweeper type player who can also play as deep lying playmaker and not a Bergomi/Pyuol/Burgnich mould rugged stopper who can actually mark Dzajic. GC's best attacker has pretty much complete freedom in the game and that decided my vote.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Was Chislenko a right midfielder a la Conte ? Wasn't he more of a second striker/wing forward type player. I don't think he is going to help much against Dzajic. @Downcast why didn't you go for Zebec on right side, you mentioned it above but didn't give any reason as to why you did not chose it, I think that was the best solution.

Agree with harms that GS's midfield is not optimal at all. But for me DC's right side is huge problem, esp given Dinu was more of a classy sweeper type player who can also play as deep lying playmaker and not a Bergomi/Pyuol/Burgnich mould rugged stopper who can actually mark Dzajic. GC's best attacker has pretty much complete freedom in the game and that decided my vote.
Don't think he's like Conte. He's your archetypal top fast quick wing forward.. like a Russian George Best, electric pace, brilliant dribbling ability and a threat at goal. Beats men for fun with mere body swerves but has neat footwork too.

I wouldn't buy a tracking back job from him, not because he's lazy .. looks a hard working type player like a Gento, but he's a natural born attacker to me just from the stuff I saw. It would hugely limit his game and be unnatural to ask him to do a job on Dzajic.

As far as I can see Dzajic and Jusfi have that flank nailed hook line and sinker. It would be a massacre.

That said, same could be said about Downcast attack vs greensmileys CB pairing.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

My tactical system is not a Zona Mista system. Chislenko was capable to play as a right-side midfielder with the corresponding consequences: a player capable to attack and defend on the right-side.

EURO 1964 Final

I don't think I play with 10 men against SuperMan Dzajic because Dinu is first and foremost a recognized defender. So, yes, nothing optimal but nothing ridiculous because Football is a collective sport: we attack and defend together. I am sorry but I don't consider Dzajic as one of the top 3 best players on the pitch.

My scenario isn't based on the assumption that my team will be dominated.

You are free to disagree of course.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Not sure why you said Boban is restricted

Both Boban and Zanetic are world-class midfielders who can dictate the pace of the game, be it in attacking and defensive phase. Boban is skillful yet tenacious, capable of injecting drive and energy to my midfield. Zanetic, on the other hand, is more elegant type with great range of passing and tactical awareness, while still good defensively, capable of breaking opponent's attacking play and creating passing option of himself for his teammates

Not to mention Dobrin who is my playmaker, capable of influencing the game with his creativity and dribbling skill. With Dzajic drawing defenders' attention most of the time, Dobrin will have enough space to create goal-scoring chances more frequently
Thanks for your answer.

Just to make sure we all understand the role of Boban here, what is his career peak according to you? Which version of him (Croatia 98 ? Milan 94? Dinamo Zagreb?...) do you intend to use? Why do you think Boban is the right man to support 4 offensive players?

It would be interesting to know more about him.

Some examples of versions:

As you can see, Boban used to get a direct link to the striker(s).

But I have to say I am not specialized in Boban-ology.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
Was Chislenko a right midfielder a la Conte ? Wasn't he more of a second striker/wing forward type player.
At his peak he really upped his finishing (he never was as prolific before), but he started as a right midfielder/outside right with a good work rate. It's a waste to use him that way though, and it's not like he is going to stop Dzajic anyway - he can (and probably will) help with Jusufi.

Dzajic is still the biggest single threat on the pitch. While @Downcast doesn't rate him as a top-3 player on the pitch, he is definitely in that Hidegkuti/Bozsik "just below Puskas" category and I'd argue that he is best suited to win the game on his own out of those three - he has incredible body of work doing exactly it, while Bozsik and Hidegkuti (at least their national career) were more about performing crucial roles in a well-oiled machine with multiple world-class players

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
@Downcast Boban can play in different positions in midfield

Even during his Milan days, he was often deployed as central midfielder. An example is shown in below video taken from CL league game against Goteborg

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Boban can play in different positions in midfield
Its not so much that he can't play CM just that it seems like the role you are asking of him doesn't really maximize his strengths at all. Part of a midfield center 2 in a 4231 on the RCM slot just seems odd to me, at least for the handful of matches of Milan c.90-94 I re-watched last few months. I think your front 3 is fantastic but Downcast has more balanced midfield. Both defenses I think are poor matches for the offenses on display so midfield settles it for me.

harms

Staff
Changed my vote 3 times already :lol:
Alright, I'm going to stick with Dzajic. Probably.