Behind the Curtain draft (Eastern Europe) | SF | green_smiley vs Skizzo 3:14

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

@green_smiley ________________________________________________ @Skizzo

The draft thread with lots of additional information
Write-ups on specific players

green_smiley

Formation: 5-2-3 winger

Tactics

Slight tweak of tactics from previous match, which can transition from 5-2-3 in defensive phase, to 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 in attacking phase. Key player is obviously Matthias Sammer. On top of his leadership, tactical awareness and mental strength, he will perform his sweeper role snuffing out any incoming attacking threat from opposition with his perfectly timed tackling and elegant. This complements well with Ivanovic and Tudor, whom both strong and imposing central defenders. Sammer will also be able to burst forward during attacking phase, displaying his wonderful array of dribbling and passing skills to start instant counters and catch the opposition off-guard

Front three of Dzajic, Lato and Lewandowski to spearhead the attack, positioning themselves close to opposition's dangerous areas all the time, and make themselves available during attacking phase. Dzajic and Lato provide the width to stretch the opposition's defense with their pace, skill, and flair, creating space for lethal target man Lewandowski to score. Both of my wingers are well supported by Jusufi and Fazlagic, taking turn to push forward depending on the direction of attack. They are among the top full-backs in this draft

In centre midfields, I have Zanetic, a player with inexhaustible energy, equally brilliant in defensive and offensive plays. I also welcome the addition of Bozsik to my team, a complete central midfielder with good technique, flair, tactical nous, passing accuracy and creativity, and also good tackling ability

Skizzo

FORMATION: 4-2-3-1

A blend of creativity, pace, and defensive steel with quality ball players and creativity throughout.

The defensive unit is marshalled by Jan Popluhar, and brings in a defensive stalwart in Nemanja Vidic. The Serbian defender is one of the best at putting his body on the line for the team, and doing whatever needs to be done to stop the attacking threat. He'll be a great foil for the playmaking Popular alongside him. The two full backs will play their normal games of up and back, defending when required, and attacking when the opportunity arises, knowing they are well covered by the defense and midfield.

Igor Netto comes into the team to partner Vladimir Jugovic providing an all action midfield who offer great protection for the defence, as well as being able to retain possession and keep the ball moving along where needed. I don't claim either to be Pirlo on the ball, but they can recycle possession to the creative outlets where necessary.

Kazimierz Deyna is chief creator, and offers a goal threat himself (as seen as him being the leading scorer at the '72 Olympics where Poland won Gold) He would thrive on the movement and other creativity around him offering a threatening outlet.

Zibi Boniek comes into the team to join his Polish team mate, and along with Pavel Nedved, they offer a blend of attacking threat, direct running, goals, and the hard work to put in a defensive shift.

Continuing to lead the line is Andriy Shevchenko, the Ballon D'or winning Ukrainian made his mark on football while playing for Milan, being able to put the ball in the back of the net in a variety of ways. His movement and pace will trouble the defense, and with Deyna in behind looking to slip him in, he'll have his chances.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I like Greensmileys full backs.. @Skizzo care to sell how your full backs would deal with that wing pairing of his?

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Good luck @Skizzo

When it comes to this stage, teams are usually strong. I see a very balanced and solid team from Skizzo

Nevertheless, I still fancy my team to win this. Sammer makes a significant difference here, in a sense that he is able to contribute in both defense and midfield battle. My forwards should be able to find some space in Skizzo's defense. Dzajic, Lato and Lewandowski are all outstanding when it comes to terrorizing opponent's half, and are well supported by my two excellent full-backs in Fazlagic and Jusufi

harms

Staff
Really like both teams here. The flanks are as good as it gets not only in this pool but even in all-time context - more individually threatening GS wingers and more team-oriented Boniek/Nedved duo, with all four being equally threatening.

Even Ivanovic/Tudor pairing suddenly don't look out of place (didn't liked them earlier), with Sammer here.

The only significant difference are the keepers, don't rate Stelea at this stage while Soskic was Yashin's sub in the world XI at some point? And maybe the fullbacks, at least I like GS pairing more

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Didn't get the chance to show it last match, but here is a video snippet that shows a glimpse of Jusufi's defensive capability of tracking down his attacking opponent

A nice run from Jusufi during 1960 European Nations' Cup final against Soviet Union

Last edited:

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Really like both teams here. The flanks are as good as it gets not only in this pool but even in all-time context - more individually threatening GS wingers and more team-oriented Boniek/Nedved duo, with all four being equally threatening.

Even Ivanovic/Tudor pairing suddenly don't look out of place (didn't liked them earlier), with Sammer here.

The only significant difference are the keepers, don't rate Stelea at this stage while Soskic was Yashin's sub in the world XI at some point? And maybe the fullbacks, at least I like GS pairing more
Ivanovic and Tudor are actually top defenders as far as this draft is concerned. However, there are opinions that both are not complementary to each other due to their similarity as hard-tackling defenders. The introduction of Sammer in his favourite libero role certainly "liberates" and brings the best out of them

harms

Staff
Ivanovic and Tudor are actually top defenders as far as this draft is concerned.
Nah, there are Vasovic, Vidic and a few around their level, then there are those below them like Belodedici, for example, and Ivanovic with Tudor are lucky to get in the third tier (regarding Ivanovic I'm talking about him as a center back).
In my opinion, at least.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Nah, there are Vasovic, Vidic and a few around their level, then there are those below them like Belodedici, for example, and Ivanovic with Tudor are lucky to get in the third tier (regarding Ivanovic I'm talking about him as a center back).
In my opinion, at least.
Of course for Vasovic and Vidic, but they are taken :)

Did consider Belodedici at one point, but he is also a sweeper-type defender, and I prefer to have 2 hard-tackling defenders complementing Sammer. In this case, Tudor and Ivanovic fit the bills

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Quoting Downcast's write-up on Bozsik:

In 1943, he made his debut for the first team against Vasas SC. He made his debut for Hungary at the age of 22 against Bulgaria on August 17, 1947 and went on to win 101 caps and score 11 goals between then and his final cap on April 18, 1962 against Uruguay. Bozsik won the Olympic title with his country in 1952 in Helsinki and finished second with the Hungarian team in the 1954 FIFA World Cup. He also took part in Hungary's famous 6-3 win over England at Wembley and the team's 7-1 win over England in Budapest. In 1956-57, Bozsik returned from Honvéd's winter tour to play in the 1958 FIFA World Cup. A year later, he won the Mitropa Cup with Honvéd. In all, he played 447 top-level games for KAC (and its legal successor BHSE) and scored 33 goals.

In his prime, Bozsik was considered the best attacking half-back in the world. He was known for his flawless technique, flair, tactical nous, passing accuracy and creativity. He was often used as a deep lying playmaker where his tackling ability was also helpful. Though the likes of Puskas, and Kocsics grabbed the headlines, it was Bozsik that was recognised as the teams chief dynamo.
Goal vs England

Goal vs Uruguay

Style of play

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
That's the back 3 I planned at the start @green_smiley :lol:

:annoyed: Hoped he would stay.
Obligatory photo

Nothing but grateful to Neville for his amazing career at United but in my humble opinion, given his sufficiently long and powerful peak, the best right back PL has seen.
Might play him as CB if there is no better choice
If only someone was playing a 5-at-the-back and could play him as the RCB...

Annahnomoss

Good luck GS, I am Skizzos assistant manager so my vote doesn't count.

The legend that is Nemanja Vidic

As far as out and out defenders go, there aren't many that stand about the warrior from Serbia. While often shunted in some discussions about how he falls apart when someone has a bit of pace, it's a distraction from the ability he had, and how he would leave everything he had out on that pitch.

From someone who played alongside him week in and week out..

His reading of the game was impeccable, coupled with his desire to win every ball, meant you'd often back him to get the ball out

And if he wasn't winning balls on the ground, he'd be doing it in the air. He loved a battle wherever it was.

Bravery personified. He was a born winner, and he'd do whatever it took to keep the ball out of the net.

While he hardly needs a "sell job", I want to make sure he gets the appreciation his ability deserves, especially in a draft where he's one of the standout defenders. (And in light of his recent retirement :( )

Red Star Belgrade

Manchester United
Individual[edit]

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Of course for Vasovic and Vidic, but they are taken :)

Did consider Belodedici at one point, but he is also a sweeper-type defender, and I prefer to have 2 hard-tackling defenders complementing Sammer. In this case, Tudor and Ivanovic fit the bills
While I agree with harms that Tudor is relatively out of his depth here, the fit here is very good and you can see him performing very well with Sammer's support. The design of the defence is nice.

Skizzo

I like Greensmileys full backs.. @Skizzo care to sell how your full backs would deal with that wing pairing of his?
While his wing pair offers a slightly higher goal scoring threat than mine, I'd argue that the benefit of having team oriented wingers in a team where all four of our attackers (The wingers, Shevchenko, and Deyna) have at times been the driving force of their teams stands us in good stead. They're a complementary group in terms of bringing each other into the game, making the runs to open space, and the ability on the ball to find spaces and openings even in a Sammer-led backline.

As for defensively, Klaus Urbanczyk was considered to be one of the best right backs in the World in the 60's, noted mostly for his speed and his ability in the tackle. He was voted the best right back of the 62-63 season, was one of the key players in the German team's run to the Olympic Semi Finals in 64, and was awarded East German Footballer of the Year in 1964. He's no mug, and his speed will help him out against Dzagic. Not saying its shutting him out in any way, it'll obviously require more than just that. Fortunately he's well covered by Jan Popluhar, the Czech footballer who had faced Pele on quite a few occasions and did well for himself. He beat Masopust to the Footballer of the Year in Czechoslovakia in 1965, was in the World XI in 64, 67 and 68, and awarded the Slovak Footballer of the 20th Century.

Zygmunt Anczok was part of the great Polish side which went on to become a bit of a force and his arrival was a bit of a surprise to people as they hadn't seen such a player in Poland at the time. His speed and agility matching him up well against most of those he came up against. Was unfortunate with injuries throughout his career, but when he was fit and healthy, he even went on a tour of South America and gave a good showing against players like Pele (becoming a bit of a yardstick in this post now isn't he? :lol: )

I think the opposition will be relying heavily on his wingers to try and win the match, because I see Lewandowski struggling to have an impact with Vidic back there. While it's no man marking job, he'll look to stifle the Pole's space and influence, and i don't see him having much of a game here against our defense.

On the flip side, as i alluded to above, Shevchenko is on a different level to Lewandowski, and as much as Ivanovic and Tudor now fit into a 3-man backline, I don't see them being enough to stop the Ukrainian, who always showed up on the big stage. If Sammer steps out to pick up Deyna, it leaves Shevchenko up against defenders who would struggle with his running and ability on the ball. If Sammer stays back, Deyna has the ability to pull the strings from a little deeper, and with the movement of Boniek and Nedved as well, i see us having a better chance to unlock the defense than vice versa, where its relying more on individual brilliance, than on having a team that can poke at different avenues.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
While his wing pair offers a slightly higher goal scoring threat than mine, I'd argue that the benefit of having team oriented wingers in a team where all four of our attackers (The wingers, Shevchenko, and Deyna) have at times been the driving force of their teams stands us in good stead. They're a complementary group in terms of bringing each other into the game, making the runs to open space, and the ability on the ball to find spaces and openings even in a Sammer-led backline.

As for defensively, Klaus Urbanczyk was considered to be one of the best right backs in the World in the 60's, noted mostly for his speed and his ability in the tackle. He was voted the best right back of the 62-63 season, was one of the key players in the German team's run to the Olympic Semi Finals in 64, and was awarded East German Footballer of the Year in 1964. He's no mug, and his speed will help him out against Dzagic. Not saying its shutting him out in any way, it'll obviously require more than just that. Fortunately he's well covered by Jan Popluhar, the Czech footballer who had faced Pele on quite a few occasions and did well for himself. He beat Masopust to the Footballer of the Year in Czechoslovakia in 1965, was in the World XI in 64, 67 and 68, and awarded the Slovak Footballer of the 20th Century.

Zygmunt Anczok was part of the great Polish side which went on to become a bit of a force and his arrival was a bit of a surprise to people as they hadn't seen such a player in Poland at the time. His speed and agility matching him up well against most of those he came up against. Was unfortunate with injuries throughout his career, but when he was fit and healthy, he even went on a tour of South America and gave a good showing against players like Pele (becoming a bit of a yardstick in this post now isn't he? :lol: )

I think the opposition will be relying heavily on his wingers to try and win the match, because I see Lewandowski struggling to have an impact with Vidic back there. While it's no man marking job, he'll look to stifle the Pole's space and influence, and i don't see him having much of a game here against our defense.

On the flip side, as i alluded to above, Shevchenko is on a different level to Lewandowski, and as much as Ivanovic and Tudor now fit into a 3-man backline, I don't see them being enough to stop the Ukrainian, who always showed up on the big stage. If Sammer steps out to pick up Deyna, it leaves Shevchenko up against defenders who would struggle with his running and ability on the ball. If Sammer stays back, Deyna has the ability to pull the strings from a little deeper, and with the movement of Boniek and Nedved as well, i see us having a better chance to unlock the defense than vice versa, where its relying more on individual brilliance, than on having a team that can poke at different avenues.
Cheers, thanks for that mate.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
We are talking about Lewandowski, Bayern's top scorer, the first player since Gerd Muller to score 30 in a season and leader of Poland national team. Vidic is a great defender, but Lewandowski have equal, if not more, chance to get the better of him

Dzajic and Lato are definitely a key component to victory, but they are well supported by my excellent fullbacks and midfields, allowing them to express themselves as much as possible

Skizzo

We are talking about Lewandowski, Bayern's top scorer, the first player since Gerd Muller to score 30 in a season and leader of Poland national team. Vidic is a great defender, but Lewandowski have equal, if not more, chance to get the better of him

Dzajic and Lato are definitely a key component to victory, but they are well supported by my excellent fullbacks and midfields, allowing them to express themselves as much as possible
We're talking about Lewandowski indeed. That 30 goal season comes for the dominant team in Germany, who has at most, one actual rival. That season he scored 2 goals against the other top 4 teams in the league. Both of those 2 came in a 5-1 win when they were already winning 2-1. only 9 of his league goals that season were of any kind of deciding factor. The others? They came in 5-0 wins against Werder Bremen (who finished 13th out of 18 teams), in a 4-0 win over Stuttgart (who were relegated in 17th place). Five of them also came in one game.

In the cups did he carry them with his goals? No, 6 games, 1 goal in the first round in a 3-1 win against FC Nottingen, and 2 goals in a 3-0 win against Vfl Bochum. Didn't score in any of the games against Bundesliga opposition, nor did he score any deciding goals, or score in the semi final or the final.

In Europe? A respectable 9 goals. 3 in a 5-0 win against Dinamo Zagreb. 1 in a 5-1 win against Arsenal. 1 in a 4-0 win against Olympiacos. 1 in both legs against Juve. 0 in both legs against Benfica. 1 in two legs against Atletico Madrid as they crashed out of Europe.

I didn't say he wasn't a good striker...but he's not on Shevchenko's level at all.

The same Shevchenko who has scored 19 in 28 European games when he first burst on the scene for Dinamo Kyiv. 37 in 69 games for Milan. That's 0.57 goals per game in his prime. Even taking his worse years at Chelsea and after, he managed another 11 goals, albeit in 45 games. He's the second most prolific striker in the history of Milan. He holds the record for most goals in Derby Matches with Inter. He also stands alongside five other players — Michel Platini, John Charles, Gunnar Nordahl, Istvan Nyers, and Ferenc Hirzer — as he managed, as a foreign player, to win the Serie A scoring title in his debut season, finishing with 24 goals in 32 matches. Shevchenko maintained his excellent form into the next season, scoring 24 goals in 34 matches. Shevchenko also managed to score nine goals in 14 matches in the Champions League.

When it comes to the two strikers, theres a gulf between them.

More importantly, since they aren't competing against each other, but Vidic is a tier (at least) above Ivanovic and Tudor. Lewandowski has the tougher match up, and would need to rely on more moments of individual brilliance to try and get a chance against Vidic-Popluhar, then Shevchenko would against Tudor-Ivanovic.

Yes, Sammer is still in there, and I don't discount his influence on the defense because he's immense, but he's caught in two minds as to step out and handle Deyna or try and stifle Shevchenko.

The benefit and difference between the two teams is that my attack isn't reliant on moments of individual brilliance to win (although they're still capable of it)

But more a unit built on everyone fitting the cog and improving each other as a result.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The only thing I can see clearly is that the fullback pairs will be crucial, yet I'm ill equipped to make a call on how that pans out.

Going with :lol: being superbly set up to soak and get something out of hitting Skizzo on the break with Bozsik feeding Dzajic-Lewa-Lato.

Mani

Skizzo though I like yours hard working wing pair of Boneik and Nedved compared to GS's I would like to know how would you contain GS wing pair of Lato and Dzajic from scoring?
By the same way GS,Skizzo's threat comes from Shev and run from Boneik into those spaces.In case Sammer is after Deyna who would be checking into Nedved.
Barring Vidic,Ivan and Sammer I hardly read or watched either sides defense.

Skizzo

Skizzo though I like yours hard working wing pair of Boneik and Nedved compared to GS's I would like to know how would you contain GS wing pair of Lato and Dzajic from scoring?
Obviously they're a hell of a pair of wingers, and I doubt they'd be completely contained or shut out. That being said, I have a pair of athletic, speedy full backs who will match up with the pace of Dzagic and Lato.

Mostly though it will be a team effort. None of them are isolated with a direct route to goal. Cutting inside they'll have to beat their full back, and then a center back pairing of Popluhar and Vidic, no mean feat. Netto and Jugovic are both great defensively as well, who will look to help when needed.

As you mentioned yourself, both my wingers are also in the business of working hard defensively. so all in all I don't feel I'll be isolated defensively in such a way for the opposition to be decisive.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Sammer was the best possible upgrade for :lol: but the LCB and RCB are still a bit underwhelming. I'm curious if Sammer has specific instructions off the ball?

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
By the same way GS,Skizzo's threat comes from Shev and run from Boneik into those spaces.In case Sammer is after Deyna who would be checking into Nedved.
Barring Vidic,Ivan and Sammer I hardly read or watched either sides defense.
Zanetic and Bozsik are more than capable of contributing to defense off the ball. Not just tackling, but pressing and intercepting passes to cut off supplies to Skizzo's forwards. Adding to my back 5 during defensive phase, I can contain his attack to large extend

Mani

Obviously they're a hell of a pair of wingers, and I doubt they'd be completely contained or shut out. That being said, I have a pair of athletic, speedy full backs who will match up with the pace of Dzagic and Lato.

Mostly though it will be a team effort. None of them are isolated with a direct route to goal. Cutting inside they'll have to beat their full back, and then a center back pairing of Popluhar and Vidic, no mean feat. Netto and Jugovic are both great defensively as well, who will look to help when needed.

As you mentioned yourself, both my wingers are also in the business of working hard defensively. so all in all I don't feel I'll be isolated defensively in such a way for the opposition to be decisive.
Zanetic and Bozsik are more than capable of contributing to defense off the ball. Not just tackling, but pressing and intercepting passes to cut off supplies to Skizzo's forwards. Adding to my back 5 during defensive phase, I can contain his attack to large extend
Thanks for your response both of you will make my decision shortly.

Enigma_87

You know who
Surprised by the score, although Skizzo's team was easier on the eye.
Aye Skizzo has incredible attack, but :lol: flanks were excellent and he had advantage there IMO. Probably the CB's and the GK swayed it for the voters in this one.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Surprised by the score, although Skizzo's team was easier on the eye.

Tough luck @green_smiley
Good luck in the final @Skizzo
It's a shame GS didn't go into more detail on the gameplan in the OP. If they traded blows in an open game I could see Skizzo winning it on the back of arguably having the more robust spine (despite Sammer) and players better suited to controlling a game.

GS' main assets would have worked best in a counter-attacking setup, but no attempt was made to sell any clear vision of how the game would pan out.

Gamethreads seem to be turning into clip/gif fests. I voted GS on the back of how I think it would play out (and thinking that defensive core was far better than it would get any credit for), but it is fair to say Skizzo showed a deeper understanding of the workings of his team.

Well deserved.

Mani

Surprised with score once I voted, this should have been much closer.One of the drawback of now able to see the scoreline before voting.

Annahnomoss

Cheers mate. Score certainly not a fair representation of how good your team is!
I agree GS. You had the strongest reinforcements of the round here with Sammer beautifully complementing an otherwise slightly underwhelming defense, then you snatched Bozsik and you completely overhauled your central defense and midfield. Really good picks!

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Cheers mate. Score certainly not a fair representation of how good your team is!
Bullying bastards are steamrollering everyone here ;). I feel your pain @green_smiley !

Opted for Skizzo/Annah basically due to the quality differential at centre back and to a lesser extent GK, for all that Sammer shored up that area for GS tremendously. Agree with @antohan that a more clearly stated counter-attacking strategy might have swung it the other way for me. A packed backline marshaled by Sammer, Bozsik's first-rate distribution, pace and quality in attack, with Sammer's bursts forward as an x-factor - it had alot going for it.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Team green-smiley is great but maybe 'overly defensive' with a midfield comprised of Sammer, Bozsik (DPL midfielder) and Zanetic CM).

Lewa is rather a static CF so there are only 2 percussion hammers here.

On the other hand, Team Skizzo/Annah offers an attack more diversified and unpredictable. Popluhar, Vidic and Netto are also great assets at the heart of the game.

So, I'm not surprised by the outcome.

harms

Staff
Lewa is rather a static CF so there are only 2 percussion hammers here.
Not sure what percussion hammer means in this context but both Dzajic and Lato had incredible goalscoring stats, especially at the biggest stage (Dzajic was top scorer in two different Euro's, including goals against Moore/Banks, Beckenbauer's Germany, Burgnich/Zoff Italy; Lato was top scorer in 1974 and had almost 1 in 2 international record and was incredibly annoying for the opposition's defenders with his constant pressing and speed, of legs and of thought). Plus Sammer as a wild card is a decent goalscoring threat too

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Not sure what percussion hammer means in this context but both Dzajic and Lato had incredible goalscoring stats, especially at the biggest stage (Dzajic was top scorer in two different Euro's, including goals against Moore/Banks, Beckenbauer's Germany, Burgnich/Zoff Italy; Lato was top scorer in 1974 and had almost 1 in 2 international record and was incredibly annoying for the opposition's defenders with his constant pressing and speed, of legs and of thought). Plus Sammer as a wild card is a decent goalscoring threat too
Aye, its a menacing attack without question. I don't agree that Lewandowski is a static CF either. His movement is possibly his best quality. That said, with the addition of Netto there isn't really a single weak unit in SkizzAnnah's team, and there's a clear coherence to their system, so they were always going to be very tough to beat.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I did want to mean Dzajic and Lato were jackhammers so it is rather a compliment :)

I don't deny the quality of any player.

I would prefer Lewa with more support: a central attacking midfielder or a support striker, the Polish Reus or the Roumanian Thomas Muller for example.

Last edited: