Behind the Curtain | Eastern European draft | The winner: Skizzo

Tuppet

I am actually amazed Downcast did not improve his RB situation, as tasty as Bozsik & Hidegkuti picks are.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
You can't go wrong with Sheva. He's versatile as you can get.

Indeed - it fits your theme well and your team is one of my favorite in terms of style and idea behind it.
Simply the greatest contemporary CF in this draft. A Ballon d'Or :)

Very complete player: fast player also excellent on the air.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

How fecking tall was Pluskal? Yashin was 1,89 (and wiki says that Popluhar was 2,01 meters tall which is obviously bs)

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
To anyone who will draw against me, match on Thursday (2/2) please
Thursday is also perfect for me because I can't follow a game earlier. Please could you confirm if it's still ok for you?

You have 2 fantastic wingers. Good luck :)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Let me know when you are free @Raees ill prob do my stuff tonight/tomorrow morning and whenever you ready after that
I'll give you a fixed time once I know what my schedule is like next few days. Looking forward to playing you mate!

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I am actually amazed Downcast did not improve his RB situation, as tasty as Bozsik & Hidegkuti picks are.
It's risky but its probably worth the gamble. Rely on the big names and proven partnerships to see him through this round, then he's top of the drafting order for the next reinforcement round to address his few remaining weaknesses. Especially in a draft like this where only those that are actively following the match threads will be likely to realise that a fairly obscure player is out of position.

Moby

Dick
I could see after the last round that I'd need a better striker up top, and there was two obvious choices. Ended up doing @Moby a favour as I figured at least one would last back and Vidic might be a riskier wait.

It is a rather modern side compared to the others though :lol:
You made the right call, Kocsis and Vidic was my initial plan (leaving enough Magyars was going to be enough to distract DC from other targets, he loves reuniting proven teams).

Also think Kocsis suits my team better and Sheva yours. Kocsis is basically Klose on steroids ( @antohan :D ) and conserves my tactical blueprint.

Skizzo

You made the right call, Kocsis and Vidic was my initial plan (leaving enough Magyars was going to be enough to distract DC from other targets, he loves reuniting proven teams).

Also think Kocsis suits my team better and Sheva yours. Kocsis is basically Klose on steroids ( @antohan :D ) and conserves my tactical blueprint.
Yeah I didn't fully buy into Kocsis in my squad, although he could obviously work there, but I wanted someone more mobile and making the runs.

It'll work well with my flat 442 with him and Berbatov up top @Pat_Mustard :angel:

Enigma_87

You know who
It's risky but its probably worth the gamble. Rely on the big names and proven partnerships to see him through this round, then he's top of the drafting order for the next reinforcement round to address his few remaining weaknesses. Especially in a draft like this where only those that are actively following the match threads will be likely to realise that a fairly obscure player is out of position.
Unlucky with the draw tho, as he faces the best winger in the draft tho from that side - Dzajic.

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah, written in the stars mate, just about every time. I'm fairly free tomorrow if that fits at all.
aye, looking forward to it, should be a good one.

I'm a bit on the go tomorrow, but a bit later kickoff - 2-3 PM should be ok, if it is also ok with you?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Match schedule

Tuesday 31st -
skizzo vs Pat_Mustard
Enigma vs Gio (Theon)

Wednesday 1st -

Thursday 2nd -

Friday 3rd -

Saturday 4th -

Sunday 5th -

Monday 6th -

aye, looking forward to it, should be a good one.

I'm a bit on the go tomorrow, but a bit later kickoff - 2-3 PM should be ok, if it is also ok with you?
Yeah, that should be okay with me.

Moby

Dick
Yeah I didn't fully buy into Kocsis in my squad, although he could obviously work there
He definitely would have and few would have looked past Kocsis leading the line with the trio of Nedved, Deyna and Kanchelskis behind him. He's such an all round #9 and played in one of the most fluid and flexible teams ever that he would work in most setups. Sheva's raw pace and movement highlighted at his peak is obviously something that fits like a glove in your setup.

For me the biggest factor was having a striker who could bring others into play and create chances for others which is why I picked Klose initially and Kocsis obviously fits in that category as well. That is really important having a hybrid #9/#10 alongside which Streltsov is. Ideally you'd want someone who can make the best of his passing and creativity around the box but also make use of his goalscoring and pace and explosiveness.

The other candidate I considered initially when picking Klose was your Berba, as his playmaking would have released Streltsov beautifully as well but that bloke is terribly underrated mainly due to his United spell which was a bit past his peak. People can bring up the Rooney - Berba not working that well when he's partnered with someone like Streltsov but that wasn't a peak Rooney. The young firecracker Wayne Rooney next to a peak Berba (let's say the Spurs version) would have been completely lethal and complimentary and a young Rooney is possibly not very far from the young Streltsov version I am using here.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I bet he would still be the best player on the pitch.

Damn phones... where's that George Best story when you need it?
Pretty sure his "chest" control became even better

edit: My interest in football history began with Georgie (obviously) and this Puskas anecdote

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
“I was with Bobby Charlton, Denis Law and Puskas, coaching in a football academy in Australia,” George Best once recalled. “The youngsters we were coaching did not respect Puskas, making fun of his weight and age, so he decided to try and hit the crossbar ten times in a row with a shot.

“Law asked the kids how many they thought Puskas would get out of ten. Most said less than five. Best said ten. Puskas stepped up and hit nine in a row. For the tenth shot he scooped the ball in the air, bounced it off both shoulders and his head, and then flicked it over with his heel and cannoned the ball off the crossbar on the volley. They all stood in silence and then one kid asked who he was. I replied, ‘To you, his name is Mr. Puskas.'”

Enigma_87

You know who
Guess we have that in common. My interest also began with a player who ended up like a round balloon, but mine was from Brazil.
you narrowed it down to nationality then :D

Can't remember a good player from brazil that didn't end up like a round balloon.