Behind the Curtain | Eastern European draft | The winner: Skizzo

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Sheva IMO eclipsed what Blokhin has done previously and has a bit higher ceiling. Was genuine contender for one of the best players in the world in a very star studded era and one of the toughest defences in the game.
I wouldn't put down Shevchenko at all, but Blokhin won a Ballon D'Or when Johan Cruyff, Franz Beckenbauer and Gerd Muller were at their peak - the very definition of a star-studded era.

Enigma_87

You know who
I wouldn't put down Shevchenko at all, but Blokhin won a Ballon D'Or when Johan Cruyff, Franz Beckenbauer and Gerd Muller were at their peak - the very definition of a star-studded era.
Indeed but Sheva did win the Ballon D'or too and had 2 3rd place finishes. One of the most prolific strikers in Europe and was top scorer in CL 2 times - feat bettered by only 6 players in history. All in all IMO he bettered Blokhin's feats and if you take into account both Ballon D'or finishes he was more consistent for a longer period(being one of Europe's elite strikers). Nothing to take away from Blokhin obviously but IMO Sheva was just the better player.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@harms

I've had a look at that Sindelar pick, and I want to know how he's a legal pick. Austria-Hungary is not under the list of non-existent countries in your OP, so the only other reason I can see him being eligible is because he's born in a city in the current Czech Republic. Is this why he's been allowed, or is Austria-Hungary now an Eastern European state?

Enigma_87

You know who
@harms

I've had a look at that Sindelar pick, and I want to know how he's a legal pick. Austria-Hungary is not under the list of non-existent countries in your OP, so the only other reason I can see him being eligible is because he's born in a city in the current Czech Republic. Is this why he's been allowed, or is Austria-Hungary now an Eastern European state?
He was born in Kozlov(close to Prague). Since the restriction is place of birth I think he's ok. But then it's up to harms to decide.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
He was born in Kozlov(close to Prague). Since the restriction is place of birth I think he's ok. But then it's up to harms to decide.
But the restriction in the original post was country of birth not city's geographic location.

"Only the players who were born in the countries listed below are available for selection."

If I am going by the wording of the rules in the original post I would absolutely rule out Sindelar because he was born in a country not listed.

prath92

He is born in a place currently in Czech Republic. And player nationality is based on place of birth. So I assumed it was valid. Hungary and Czech Republic was both included so didn't really think it was against the spirit of the draft either.

Fair enough if it's invalid. Will pick another player.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
With the best will in the world it's a bit of a grey area given the different geo-politics in play in the early 20th century.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Moby

We will come back tomorrow morning so don't expect our picks before you sleep.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Expected Sarosi to be a R1 pick.
Expectedly underrated due to a lack of footage, very sporadical draft appearances and unspecified position (I remember being in disagreement with Joga about him being a true 9/false 9 when he plays as a striker with nothing but the old google-translated hungarian match reports to base my opinion on)

Although maybe only Puskas meets his standard as Sarosi was the standout player in the world for a few years (after Meazza and before Moreno/Pedernera), at least as I see it. Maybe Kubala too, though, it's so hard to rate them, while the likes of Stoichkov or Blokhin had outstanding seasons but weren't really ahead of the leading group in the long run
I was pleasantly surprised he lasted back up to me after I went for Czibor first. I don't particularly like picking players with no footage available but thanks to the sterling efforts of others in researching him previously and his excellent credentials it shouldn't be too difficult to make a case for him. I have found a whopping 32 seconds of footage so far :D

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
I'm feeling more positive about it now but I'll always find something to feel aggrieved about :lol:
One of my favorite player names of all time. i even suggested Zoltan for my sons name !

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He is born in a place currently in Czech Republic. And player nationality is based on place of birth. So I assumed it was valid. Hungary and Czech Republic was both included so didn't really think it was against the spirit of the draft either.

Fair enough if it's invalid. Will pick another player.
This.

harms

Staff
"The place" means literally the place - the village, town or city that player was born in, and it should be a part of the countries included in the list. Will update the OP later, when I'm sober.

I think we used the same system earlier in the drafts so didn't feel the need to specify it

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Downcast (Anders Emil Våge) 1. F. Puskás
Moby 1. M. Sammer
green_smiley 1. D. Džajić 2. Z. Boban
Skizzo 1. P. Nedved 2.
Isotope 1. H. Stoichkov 2. D. Savicevic
prath92 1. J. Bozsik 2. M. Sindelar
Šjor Bepo (Invictus) 1. N. Hidegkuti 2. N. Vidic
BorisDeLeFora 1. S. Kocsis 2. L. Yashin
Raees 1. J. Masopust 2. A. Shesternyov
mazhar13 (oneniltothearsenal) 1. V. Vasović 2. M. Khurtsilava
Tuppet 1. Z. Boniek 2. F. Albert
Enigma_87 1. L. Kubala 2. L. Modrić
Pat_Mustard 1. Z. Czibor 2. G. Sárosi
RedTiger (2mufc0) 1. G. Hagi 2. A. Shevchenko
Gio (Theon) 1. O. Blokhin 2. V. Voronin
Jayvin 1. G. Lato 2. I. Netto

@Moby

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Moby 1. M. Sammer
Skizzo 1. P. Nedved 2. K. Deyna
Šjor Bepo (Invictus) 1. N. Hidegkuti 2. N. Vidic

harms

Staff
I was pleasantly surprised he lasted back up to me after I went for Czibor first. I don't particularly like picking players with no footage available but thanks to the sterling efforts of others in researching him previously and his excellent credentials it shouldn't be too difficult to make a case for him. I have found a whopping 32 seconds of footage so far :D
There are more - I think there were about 10 of his goals online, although they don't have his name in the description. There was a hungarian website with matchreports (on hungarian, of course) and the links to the available videos - sadly, I don't remember how it was called - but maybe you'll find it

Rules clarification

harms

Staff
Added to the rules, but will post again here:

NB. Place of birth is a village/town/city that a player was born in, and it's political attachment is judged on today's situation, so it should be a part of one of the listed countries as of 01.01.2017

So, Bican, who was born in Vienna, isn't eligible, but Sindelar, who was born in a Czech village, is, despite that they were both born in the same country, Austria-Hungary.

harms

Staff
Indeed but Sheva did win the Ballon D'or too and had 2 3rd place finishes. One of the most prolific strikers in Europe and was top scorer in CL 2 times - feat bettered by only 6 players in history. All in all IMO he bettered Blokhin's feats and if you take into account both Ballon D'or finishes he was more consistent for a longer period(being one of Europe's elite strikers). Nothing to take away from Blokhin obviously but IMO Sheva was just the better player.
He was a better goalscorer, that's for sure. But Blokhin was something else, with his dribbling and even playmaking abilities, which he used a lot in the 80's. And he single-handedly (5 of Dynamo starters were injured before the encounters) demolished Beckenbauer's Bayern with 3 goals in 2 games, one of which is still my favorite Soviet goal ever.

Plus he didn't get the attention that Sheva got in Serie A, although it works both ways, obviously, as Sheva got to play against the better players on a weekly basis.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
That is an amazing combo. Would be great to watch no matter who else you draft ;)

harms

Staff
Moby 1. M. Sammer
Isotope 1. H. Stoichkov 2. D. Savićević
Šjor Bepo (Invictus) 1. N. Hidegkuti 2. N. Vidić

@Moby

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He was a better goalscorer, that's for sure. But Blokhin was something else, with his dribbling and even playmaking abilities, which he used a lot in the 80's. And he single-handedly (5 of Dynamo starters were injured before the encounters) demolished Beckenbauer's Bayern with 3 goals in 2 games, one of which is still my favorite Soviet goal ever.

Plus he didn't get the attention that Sheva got in Serie A, although it works both ways, obviously, as Sheva got to play against the better players on a weekly basis.
His goal against Atletico was a thing of beauty too. Like you mention, he wasn't just a pace merchant (although his explosiveness really defined his style) but a gifted all round footballer, and that was plain apparent watching him play in the eighties for Kiev (that side :drool:)and USSR after he'd lost a fair bit of his pace.

Moby

Dick
Eduard Streltsov

Many critics consider Streltsov to be one of the finest footballers ever from Russia or the Soviet Union: British journalist and author Jonathan Wilson describes him as "the greatest outfield player Russia has ever produced ... a tall, powerful forward, possessed of a fine first touch and extraordinary footballing intelligence", while Russian author Aleksandr Nilin writes that "the boy came to us from the land of wonder". Streltsov's skilful, innovative style of play helped him to stand out in Soviet football, and his pioneering of the back-heeled pass resulted in it becoming known in Russia as "Streltsov's pass". During his early career, this technical ability combined with considerable speed and physical presence to create a formidable all-round forward player. In his later years, with his physical attributes reduced, he emphasised his skill and on-field intelligence to become more of a playmaker, playing further back and setting up attacking moves for team-mates rather than leading them himself. Indeed, for his final two seasons, Streltsov played in an attacking midfield role rather than up front. Despite the eight-year gap between his two spells as a member of the Soviet national team, Streltsov, nicknamed "The Russian Pelé", was the fourth highest international goalscorer in the country's history

Moby

Dick
Moby 1. M. Sammer 2. E. Streltsov
Isotope 1. H. Stoichkov 2. D. Savićević
Šjor Bepo (Invictus) 1. N. Hidegkuti 2. N. Vidić

@Downcast

Skizzo

I should have picked before you came online, you stole my pick. :(
I didn't even really have anyone particular in mind. I was in the middle of a 17 hour workday and saw that I'd been skipped already :( so threw him out there.

Kinda alters my plans a little, but fortunately Nedved is rather flexible of sorts.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I will take a final decision shortly for my next 2 picks

Last edited: