Belgium - 2020 Euro thread

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
So, we looked pretty good today against Croatia.

Line up at the EC will be something like:

Courtois
Alderweireld - Denayer - Vertongen
Castagne - De Bruyne - Tielemans - T.Hazard
Mertens - Carrasco
Lukaku

With Hazard, Dendoncker, Doku, Chadli, Trossard the main bench options.

On the plus side, we have a well balanced team with quality options all over the pitch. Lukaku, Carrasco and Tielemans are in great form lately. De Bruyne should be ready in time as well.

On the down side, Hazard is still a big question mark. And our defense is also quite suspect at times. Then we lack real world class players aside from KDB. Finally, if Lukaku misfires, the back up strikers aren't great (Benteke, Batshuayi, Vanaken)...

I predict a semi final exit.

Neo_Mufc

I thought Belgium managed the game well but there was something missing in the middle. Croatia started the game much better and look very good.

Bwuk

Tielemans - KdB as a midfield partnership seems to lack a ball winner, and none of the CBs have real pace to help cover.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Tielemans - KdB as a midfield partnership seems to lack a ball winner, and none of the CBs have real pace to help cover.
Denayer is plenty quick enough, isn't he?

FatTails

Must be the last chance for the likes of Mertens, Vertongen, and Alderweireld to win something.

KDB making the Euros is huge and Lukaku is coming to the tournament after an incredible season at Inter.

Superunknown

My wife-to-be is Belgian, so they are a second international team that I follow. Belgium are quite a hard one to predict because, imo, they always seem to look amazing on paper but never seem to quite replicate that in some tournament games. They remind me of England for lots of reasons, where the expectation is quite high but it never feels like it truly lives up, although not to the same extent as England. Although, even when they don't play amazingly well, they have the ability to get a goal from somewhere. I think a quarter final/semi final exit is about right.

I'm quite a big fan of Mertens. He's one of these players who I think actually elevates his game when it comes to internationals. Some players look better at club level, but I've always thought Mertens plays his heart out for Belgium. That midfield 4 plus front 3 looks great on paper. Hope they do well.

antk

Having just seen the first half, I was not impressed at all by the team as a whole. The midfield had a lot of trouble moving the ball quickly enough, but obviously KDB was sorely missed.

Still, a two-man midfield of KDB and Tielemans doesn't seem properly balanced on paper, depending on the patterns in place at the back. Maybe there are plans for one of the CB to be more aggressive, but they're not the most explosive bunch.