Belgium - 2020 Euro thread

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
So, we looked pretty good today against Croatia.

Line up at the EC will be something like:

Courtois
Alderweireld - Denayer - Vertongen
Castagne - De Bruyne - Tielemans - T.Hazard
Mertens - Carrasco
Lukaku

With Hazard, Dendoncker, Doku, Chadli, Trossard the main bench options.

On the plus side, we have a well balanced team with quality options all over the pitch. Lukaku, Carrasco and Tielemans are in great form lately. De Bruyne should be ready in time as well.

On the down side, Hazard is still a big question mark. And our defense is also quite suspect at times. Then we lack real world class players aside from KDB. Finally, if Lukaku misfires, the back up strikers aren't great (Benteke, Batshuayi, Vanaken)...

I predict a semi final exit.

Neo_Mufc

I thought Belgium managed the game well but there was something missing in the middle. Croatia started the game much better and look very good.

Bwuk

Tielemans - KdB as a midfield partnership seems to lack a ball winner, and none of the CBs have real pace to help cover.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Tielemans - KdB as a midfield partnership seems to lack a ball winner, and none of the CBs have real pace to help cover.
Denayer is plenty quick enough, isn't he?

FatTails

Must be the last chance for the likes of Mertens, Vertongen, and Alderweireld to win something.

KDB making the Euros is huge and Lukaku is coming to the tournament after an incredible season at Inter.

Superunknown

My wife-to-be is Belgian, so they are a second international team that I follow. Belgium are quite a hard one to predict because, imo, they always seem to look amazing on paper but never seem to quite replicate that in some tournament games. They remind me of England for lots of reasons, where the expectation is quite high but it never feels like it truly lives up, although not to the same extent as England. Although, even when they don't play amazingly well, they have the ability to get a goal from somewhere. I think a quarter final/semi final exit is about right.

I'm quite a big fan of Mertens. He's one of these players who I think actually elevates his game when it comes to internationals. Some players look better at club level, but I've always thought Mertens plays his heart out for Belgium. That midfield 4 plus front 3 looks great on paper. Hope they do well.

antk

Having just seen the first half, I was not impressed at all by the team as a whole. The midfield had a lot of trouble moving the ball quickly enough, but obviously KDB was sorely missed.

Still, a two-man midfield of KDB and Tielemans doesn't seem properly balanced on paper, depending on the patterns in place at the back. Maybe there are plans for one of the CB to be more aggressive, but they're not the most explosive bunch.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Not exactly a stellar performance, but we were easily in control the whole time, didn't concede and didn't even play our best player(s).

Ramos

Job well done. Especially considering what happened to Eriksen earlier and the effect it might have had on Toby, Jan and Rom (who all know him very well) in preparing for this game.

Dendoncker the only player to worry me a bit at times, but the rest were fine. Too bad to lose Castagne so early in the tournament though.

TheRedHearted

Not exactly a stellar performance, but we were easily in control the whole time, didn't concede and didn't even play our best player(s).
Definitely would like to see some more fluidity from you but to be honest I’m not sure if that’s how you’ll even beat top sides. Instead i think it’ll be strength at the back and midfield and a quick finish from Rom. Don’t think you will play the possession game against quick sides. Will be a very tricky team to beat imo.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm baffled by the general lack of comments about the opening goal today being offside. If you're stood 5 yards off and then the ball is crossed to you and you score, surely you're active regardless of if someone touches it in the meantime?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm baffled by the general lack of comments about the opening goal today being offside. If you're stood 5 yards off and then the ball is crossed to you and you score, surely you're active regardless of if someone touches it in the meantime?
There were loads of comments in the match day thread.

Hanks

Saw them on a flesh last night. Didn't look particularly impressive...but to be honest they didn't need to after Russia gifted them 2 goals early on.

Felt to me both teams made peace with the result after 65th minute.

Ainu

I've not heard one pundit or journalist mention it though.
I didn't understand that either. I welcomed the goal of course, but no way I thought it should've stood. No one in my company dared to celebrate because we were certain VAR was going to overturn it, which I couldn't believe they didn't. I'd be livid if we conceded that goal.

Mickson

I didn't understand that either. I welcomed the goal of course, but no way I thought it should've stood. No one in my company dared to celebrate because we were certain VAR was going to overturn it, which I couldn't believe they didn't. I'd be livid if we conceded that goal.
The Swedish TV has Jonas Eriksson (former ref) in their studio. So with every decision, they turn to him. He said it was correct. Something of it being a new situation and that they judged the CB to "playing the ball". I.e he tried to pass but he fumbled. It's kind of a grey zone.

Ainu

The Swedish TV has Jonas Eriksson (former ref) in their studio. So with every decision, they turn to him. He said it was correct. Something of it being a new situation and that they judged the CB to "playing the ball". I.e he tried to pass but he fumbled. It's kind of a grey zone.
I've seen stuff like that as well but it feels wrong. If he hadn't tried to clear the ball and simply let it roll to Lukaku, everyone agrees it's offside. It's not like he controlled the ball and decided to pass it backwards.

Patchbeard

I've seen stuff like that as well but it feels wrong. If he hadn't tried to clear the ball and simply let it roll to Lukaku, everyone agrees it's offside. It's not like he controlled the ball and decided to pass it backwards.
Yeah doesn't look like it should be onside. So if as a defender you know you can't control it cleanly you may as well just dummy it and get the offside. Something not quite right about that.

Mickson

Yep, agree, but that's why they allowed it.

AndyMUFC

Completely different team when De Bruyne came on, swiftly followed by Hazard and Witsel. Still suspect defensively but they can cause anyone problems.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
I just hope our game plan going forward is a little bit more sophisticated than counting on moments of individual brilliance

Ibi Dreams

Brilliant from De Bruyne, but a stronger team than Denmark could have embarrassed them tonight

Wayne's World

Amazing in attack but very suspect at the back. I think that will be their Achilles heal in the competition

If everything goes to plan, they face Italy in the QF and I'd fancy the Italians to turn them over

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
A quarter final vs Italy seems to be inevitable since the draw was made, that could be a great game.

Ramos

Denayer is a liability at this level. Seems to completely freeze every time it matters.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Denayer is a liability at this level. Seems to completely freeze every time it matters.
Don't understand why he even played. Boyata's been much better lately.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
Today belgium was surprised in the first half by the tactic (1vs 1 all over the pitch) and the agressivity of Denmark. But it's hard to keep that tactic all the game and with the entry of Kevin DB Belgium got a boost. Great goals from Belgium. Against a really strong team - Denmark isn't bad - an entry like this can mean elimination.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Hopefully that awful first half was a true wake up call and we can build on that second half. I'm not really looking forward to players like Mbappe running at our defense though, but I still think we have the second highest potential of all Euro squads after France. Hazard - Lukaku - KDB is as good a front three as anyone in the tournament.

Womp

idiot
As good as they are, don't see them getting the better of France or even Portugal

El-Manos

In fairness, Denmark were always going to come out guns blazing and Belgium were shell shocked. Nonetheless, on their day they can beat anyone. Castagne might be a big miss though. Hazard - KDB- Lukaku have great chemistry, will cause any defence trouble.

El-Manos

Hopefully that awful first half was a true wake up call and we can build on that second half. I'm not really looking forward to players like Mbappe running at our defense though, but I still think we have the second highest potential of all Euro squads after France. Hazard - Lukaku - KDB is as good a front three as anyone in the tournament.
Fully agree. Did you see the French having a go at what Meunier said in the media?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Fully agree. Did you see the French having a go at what Meunier said in the media?
Yeah - basically just the French getting their knickers in a twist over a nothing comment.

If there is one team I wanna beat this Euros it's them. Feck em.

El-Manos

Yeah - basically just the French getting their knickers in a twist over a nothing comment.

If there is one team I wanna beat this Euros it's them. Feck em.
Some very disrespectful stuff, I read the flemish newspapers and saw the quotes.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I just hope our game plan going forward is a little bit more sophisticated than counting on moments of individual brilliance
Did you not see the Martinez documentary, aired in U.K on Weds evening so unfortunate timing given attention to detail and then played like that first half. :lol:

This tournament is all on Lukaku keeping hot I think, was brilliant for both goals yesterday.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
FFS, it's just L'équipe du Soir. They weren't even agreeing with each others. :lol:

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
The atmosphere seems to be quite good :)

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Conclusion after the first three games:

- We never got out of second gear, except in the second half vs Denmark
- We still rely on flashes of individual brilliance way too much
- There's always a sense I get that this team is nonchalantly confident of winning games. A bit like United, they never wake up before half time
- Lukaku & KDB looking good, no one else really stands out so far
- Hazard getting better, but I'm afraid he's not gonna be of much impact going further. Just hope Martinez doesn't overuse him.
- If something happens to Lukaku, we're screwed (both Benteke and Batshuayi looked like shit during their cameo)

We'll probably end up playing the 3rd placed team from group E - so either Slovakia or Spain

Would feel fairly confident against either of those, although much prefer Slovakia of course.

Ramos

Conclusion after the first three games:

- We never got out of second gear, except in the second half vs Denmark
- We still rely on flashes of individual brilliance way too much
- There's always a sense I get that this team is nonchalantly confident of winning games. A bit like United, they never wake up before half time
- Lukaku & KDB looking good, no one else really stands out so far
- Hazard getting better, but I'm afraid he's not gonna be of much impact going further. Just hope Martinez doesn't overuse him.
- If something happens to Lukaku, we're screwed (both Benteke and Batshuayi looked like shit during their cameo)

We'll probably end up playing the 3rd placed team from group E - so either Slovakia or Spain

Would feel fairly confident against either of those, although much prefer Slovakia of course.
Still a high chance it's a team from group F. If Poland don't beat Sweden and Slovakia-Spain doesn't end in a draw, it's the 3rd in group F (unless Scotland and Croatia draw tonight).

Having said that, Sweden is qualified so Poland beating them isn't unrealistic. And if there's a winner in the other game, Sweden would become third and play Belgium.