Belgium - 2020 Euro thread

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Still a high chance it's a team from group F. If Poland don't beat Sweden and Slovakia-Spain doesn't end in a draw, it's the 3rd in group F (unless Scotland and Croatia draw tonight).

Having said that, Sweden is qualified so Poland beating them isn't unrealistic. And if there's a winner in the other game, Sweden would become third and play Belgium.
It's a 1 in 7 chance apparently, so very low actually.

Unless it's France we should be beating everyone we face in the next round regardless of the opposition, but of course much rather Slovakia than Spain indeed.

Ramos

It's a 1 in 7 chance apparently, so very low actually.

Unless it's France we should be beating everyone we face in the next round regardless of the opposition, but of course much rather Slovakia than Spain indeed.
No, that's just the number of permutations still available. About half of those have the third in group F not qualify which isn't realistic at all. It's pretty much 50/50 i would say.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
No, that's just the number of permutations still available. About half of those have the third in group F not qualify which isn't realistic at all. It's pretty much 50/50 i would say.
Nope not at all. Switzerland has already qualified because of the losses of Ukraine and Finland, so the 3th of group A is through. This means the following combinations are still possible:

ABCD
ABCE
ABCF
ABDE
ABDF
ABEF
ACDE
ACEF
ACDF
ADEF

Only the bolded one links Belgium (winner B) to the 3th placed team of group F (so Switzerland, Ukraine, 3th place England group, 3th place group of death go through). If that doesn't happen but 3th placed team group F goes through, they play against the Netherlands (who have a huge chance of drawing that team).

Ramos

Nope not at all. Switzerland has already qualified because of the losses of Ukraine and Finland, so the 3th of group A is through. This means the following combinations are still possible:

ABCD
ABCE
ABCF
ABDE
ABDF
ABEF
ACDE
ACEF
ACDF
ADEF

Only the bolded one links Belgium (winner B) to the 3th placed team of group F (so Switzerland, Ukraine, 3th place England group, 3th place group of death go through). If that doesn't happen but 3th placed team group F goes through, they play against the Netherlands (who have a huge chance of drawing that team).
Look i know what i'm talking about when it comes to this kind of thing.

First there's only 7 combinations left.

ABCD
ABCE
ABCF
ACDE
ACDF
ACEF
ADEF

But just looking at the possible combinations isn't enough. You have to look at the results needed to get them. Now three of those combinations don't have F in them, which like i said isn't very realistic because you would have to have very weird results in group F to not have a best third, like Portugal losing 4-0 or something. So we can almost exclude those.

Next you have the situation in group D where only a draw between Scotland and Croatia would leave that group without a best third. A draw can happen, but that's not super likely either. So A, D and F are looking likely.

Which means the most realistic combinations are either ACDF or ADEF. That's why i said 50/50 is probably more realistic than 1 in 7. It pretty much comes down to the Poland vs Sweden and Spain vs Slovakia games.

We need a Poland win OR a Scotland vs Croatia draw OR a Spain vs Slovakia draw to avoid the third of group F. That's the gist of it.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Look i know what i'm talking about when it comes to this kind of thing.

First there's only 7 combinations left.

ABCD
ABCE
ABCF
ACDE
ACDF
ACEF
ADEF

But just looking at the possible combinations isn't enough. You have to look at the results needed to get them. Now three of those combinations don't have F in them, which like i said isn't very realistic because you would have to have very weird results in group F to not have a best third, like Portugal losing 4-0 or something. So we can almost exclude those.

Next you have the situation in group D where only a draw between Scotland and Croatia would leave that group without a best third. A draw can happen, but that's not super likely either. So A, D and F are looking likely.

Which means the most realistic combinations are either ACDF or ADEF. That's why i said 50/50 is probably more realistic than 1 in 7. It pretty much comes down to the Poland vs Sweden and Spain vs Slovakia games.

We need a Poland win OR a Scotland vs Croatia draw OR a Spain vs Slovakia draw to avoid the third of group F. That's the gist of it.
You basically exclude all the combinations you don't deem realistic yourself and then conclude that you "know wat you're talking about". I have no idea why a France 3-0 victory or Scotland-Croatia draw should be considered "not realistic at all".

OoopsMisclick

Honestly, I don't really care who we'll face next.
Yes, easy matches are preferred but if you can't win against a better team like Portugal, you won't win the tournament.
It's time for a bigger test to see what the boys are capable of.

Personally, I don't see us winning this euro cup.
Defensively, we are not good enough and we don't control the field like we should.
I expect more from our midfield and (kicking in an open door) from Hazard.

Building on the non-existant control from our midfield, is our general pressing and defensive block.
I don't see the system and that's on Martinez. This is a team that has been together for 6y+.
Put Mancini as our coach and I'm sure you'd see better link up, control and defensive shape.

Fingers crossed Lukaku & KDB carry us to the final!

Disclamer: I've never been a fan of Martinez so I might be a bit biased =)

Ramos

You basically exclude all the combinations you don't deem realistic yourself and then conclude that you "know wat you're talking about". I have no idea why a France 3-0 victory or Scotland-Croatia draw should be considered "not realistic at all".
Well i know just stupidly looking at all those combinations and concluding they all have the EXACT same chance of materializing is stupid. That's not how it works.

By the way, i'm not excluding any of those results. I'm actually hoping for them. But what i said is correct. There is still a high chance of meeting the third of group F.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Well i know just stupidly looking at all those combinations and concluding they all have the EXACT same chance of materializing is stupid. That's not how it works.

By the way, i'm not excluding any of those results. I'm actually hoping for them. But what i said is correct. There is still a high chance of meeting the third of group F.
I'm not really afraid of Portugal (given that it's them) though. They weren't convincing against Hungary and almost got behind if not for an offside call, then imploded against Germany after going 1-0 up. We shouldn't have any business in the QFs if we can't beat them in the next round. But yeah, still rather Slovakia or something like that.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
As it stands we're facing Hungary

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Could swing any way now, will be a nerve wrecking second half :lol: If we're gonna get a tough opponent just get me France already for a proper revenge game. Rather them than Portugal, but of course Hungary would still be the best option even though they're currently beating Germany and drew with France.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
And if you win it's likely Italy, then France to even get to the final :lol:

Denmark end up with the easier run despite finishing 2nd
Yeah the seeding is just unlucky to be honest. Holland is also a group winner and gets Czech Republic and Wales or Denmark to get to the semis.

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
Yeah the seeding is just unlucky to be honest. Holland is also a group winner and gets Czech Republic and Wales or Denmark to get to the semis.
We had our chance in 2016 Hungary Wales and we blew it.

Rockets Redglare

I really dislike the Belgian team and I’m not really sure why. Always want them to lose.

cyberman

Lukaku has to be better than that if they want to go further. The ball kept bouncing back off him for Portugal to attack them time and time again

stw2022

Hazard pulled hamstring near and there makes you think how depleted they’ll be going forward

Irwin99

Really don't fancy them to win this tournament, especially with the injuries now. I fancy Italy to beat them and if not them France eventually.

Zen86

Such a bland side. Fed up of hearing about this golden generation that have been consistently shit watching.

Jev

It's unreal how many United fans are desperately looking for any sign that Lukaku is a bad player, when it should be pretty clear by now to anyone with eyes in their heads that he's a brilliant striker who, for whatever reasons, didn't quite fit at United.

Anyway, Belgium really not looking like a side with any real chance of winning, especially now with questions marks over both Hazard and KdB. Wouldn't put money on them to win their next game.

acnumber9

It's unreal how many United fans are desperately looking for any sign that Lukaku is a bad player, when it should be pretty clear by now to anyone with eyes in their heads that he's a brilliant striker who, for whatever reasons, didn't quite fit at United.

Anyway, Belgium really not looking like a side with any real chance of winning, especially now with questions marks over both Hazard and KdB. Wouldn't put money on them to win their next game.
We’ll see how many goals this brilliant striker scores in the knockout rounds. One goal in ten so far.

slored1

Thought they looked decent until De Bruyne got injured. Since then they were shit. Lukaku fecked up a gazillion counterattacks.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
They don't look that great to be honest. You can tell this squad is getting on a bit.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Rode their luck quite a bit to get through. Don't fancy their chances of getting past Italy and (probably) France.

Lukaku is the dictionary definition of a flat track bully, and De Bruyne and Hazard don't have much of a track record for dominating big games against strong teams for all their ability either.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s a big game choker. It will be proven time and time again. I struggle to call anyone like that brilliant.
Not scoring doesn’t make you a bad player. He had a very good game against Brazil did he not?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Congratulations to the Belgian posters here, but I have to say without De Bruyne at his best against Italy I doubt you will win that one. Think Verthongen and Vermaelen did a great job today. And don’t mind if some Portuguese posters are bad losers and don’t accept a defeat, we would do the same if we scored first, and losing De Bruyne also didn’t helped. Have to say their defence didn’t looked so shaky as predicted.

Dan_F

I really dislike the Belgian team and I’m not really sure why. Always want them to lose.
Same. Probably doesn’t help that a lot of their players are unlikeable from a United point of view. And I’ve never really understood why they’re considered number one (not that a ranking really matters).

I thought Lukaku had some good moments holding the ball up in the second half, but most of the runs just fizzled out.