Belgium national team

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Sven had coached in Italy etc. Martinez had coached Wigan and Everton. I'd say that's a world of difference
Not particularly, coaching Everton in the Premier league is about the same level as coaching a team in Italy that wasn't one of the big guns then especially given the general poor standard of Serie A at the time.

Coaching Wigan to a national trophy is just as impressive as winning Serie A at that specific point in time. I'd also say Everton are a bigger club than all the teams Sven managed in Italy except maybe Lazio.

I do love how you pick that particular point out though :)

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Not particularly, coaching Everton in the Premier league is about the same level as coaching a team in Italy that wasn't one of the big guns then especially given the general poor standard of Serie A at the time.

Coaching Wigan to a national trophy is just as impressive as winning Serie A at that specific point in time. I'd also say Everton are a bigger club than all the teams Sven managed in Italy except maybe Lazio.
I think you, erm, underrate Eriksson's pre-England vita and Italian football from 1984-2001 in general. Poor standard? Martinez is far from having similar experience and success.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Poor period of Seria A at that time? That's far from my recollection. It was probably one of the best periods for seria A! The quality of players there was something else.

As a manager, Eriksson won eighteen trophies with a variety of league clubs in Sweden, Portugal and Italy, between 1979 and 2000, and became the first manager to win league-and-cup doubles in three countries.
Also when he won the league with lazio it was only the second time in their history

Zes

Yeah.. Serie A was on average the best league in the world during his time there, and he had also won a UEFA Cup with Gothenborg and took Benfica to the European Cup final. Martinez does not come close to being comparable. Nowhere near.

Ainu

So again no selection for Nainggolan for the next two games, but space for 4 keepers, 3 injured players, a midfielder who's suspended for one of the two games and a couple of players who're woefully out of form or never play. Martinez continues to defend it as a tactical decision. This is turning into the biggest joke ever. Unfortunately, I'm not laughing.

onemanarmy

So again no selection for Nainggolan for the next two games, but space for 4 keepers, 3 injured players, a midfielder who's suspended for one of the two games and a couple of players who're woefully out of form or never play. Martinez continues to defend it as a tactical decision. This is turning into the biggest joke ever. Unfortunately, I'm not laughing.
It's really sad. Dembele out, Witsel suspended for the first game, Tielemans not playing at Monaco, Dendoncker in terrible form, Fellaini injured... Let's not select Nainggolan, who needs him?

Robbie Boy

Da feck, why doesn't he get selected? He's class. Did he have a fall out with Martinez or something?

Ainu

Da feck, why doesn't he get selected? He's class. Did he have a fall out with Martinez or something?
It's clear Martinez has a problem with him. Nainggolan probably isn't an easy character and he does have a smoking habit, which is certainly curious for a top player. I don't get why Martinez doesn't just say so, he keeps calling it a tactical decision and says we have enough other players in his position that perform better at our NT. Obviously, he's lying and there's not a single soul out there who believes him, but he keeps it up anyway.

Some people will look at our record in the qualifiers, with a ridiculous goal difference, and wonder what's the big deal. But those who watch us regularly will know our performances aren't all that and we're very likely to fall at the first real hurdle, as per usual. We certainly can't afford to keep players of Nainggolan's quality out of the squad. Why can't we just get a normal and sane manager for once?

Robbie Boy

It's clear Martinez has a problem with him. Nainggolan probably isn't an easy character and he does have a smoking habit, which is certainly curious for a top player. I don't get why Martinez doesn't just say so, he keeps calling it a tactical decision and says we have enough other players in his position that perform better at our NT. Obviously, he's lying and there's not a single soul out there who believes him, but he keeps it up anyway.

Some people will look at our record in the qualifiers, with a ridiculous goal difference, and wonder what's the big deal. But those who watch us regularly will know our performances aren't all that and we're very likely to fall at the first real hurdle, as per usual. We certainly can't afford to keep players of Nainggolan's quality out of the squad. Why can't we just get a normal and sane manager for once?
Cheers for the reply. That's mehtal, I wasn't aware of that at and I always assumed he was a key player for the NT. Martinez is a pretty strange manager though.

Luke1995

What are you guys expectations for them in the World Cup ? Now finally this generation seems mature enough.

- Courtois in his prime

-Alderweireld,Meunier and Vertonghen at the back (And Kompany if fit)

-Mertens and Tielemans are very good players

- De Bruyne on the form of his life

- Hazard having a very good season

- Lukaku is a powerful presence upfront

- Fine reserves such as Januzaj, Benteke,Yannick Carrasco and Batshuayi

They should reach at least the semifinals. Too many talented players. I don't really agree when people call this team overrated. Yeah, they haven't delivered anything special in the big tournaments, but now most of them have the experience of a World Cup and the Euros, and both of their best players in superb form, it's a matter of the system being well coached for it to work.

AllezLesDiables

What are you guys expectations for them in the World Cup ? Now finally this generation seems mature enough.

- Courtois in his prime

They should reach at least the semifinals. Too many talented players. I don't really agree when people call this team overrated. Yeah, they haven't delivered anything special in the big tournaments, but now most of them have the experience of a World Cup and the Euros, and both of their best players in superb form, it's a matter of the system being well coached for it to work.
Good group draw but if Belgium were win the group and win rd of 16 QF matchup with Brazil.

Not a good sign when De Bruyne is outing Martinez’s tactical choices.

Talent is there but the coach needed to win the tough games isn’t

Luke1995

Good group draw but if Belgium were win the group and win rd of 16 QF matchup with Brazil.

Not a good sign when De Bruyne is outing Martinez’s tactical choices.

Talent is there but the coach needed to win the tough games isn’t
Ain't Thierry Henry the second coach there ? For sure he will lift up the dressing room.

Charles Miller

- Courtois in his prime

Winning their group they will face Colombia or Poland next.
Winning that they will probably play against Brazil in the round of 8.

Twiggy

Vermaelen has actually played really well this season too. With the injury to Umtiti he got a big run of games and was actually playing in beast mode, maybe with his eye on the WC. Unfortunately as is often the case, he suffered an injury, he's just out for 2 weeks though. I would expect him to go to the WC in his current form.

They have a few other players entering prime years like Dembélé (30), Witsel (29), Nainggolan (29) ((?Fellaini?)(30)). They also have Youri Tielemans who from what I've seen is a very talented player, with a brilliant long range shot, although I'm not sure how he's been doing since his move to Monaco.

Overall they definitely have a team that can challenge for the World Cup, though I think Lukaku could be their undoing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Ainu

- Courtois in his prime

We're nowhere near good enough to play any sort of meaningful role at the World Cup. For the third time in a row, we've coasted through our qualifiers simply due to a lack of decent oppositions, without ever playing particularly well. That's fine if you start playing good football at the tournament itself, but we've failed to do that in the previous two and there's been no indication that anything has changed or will change this time.

I predict we'll get into the quarters with a string of fairly tame performances, meet a quality side and limp out, as usual. Oh and a guy plying his trade in the Chinese league will start every game for us.

Trizy

France, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, Belgium in that order.

Belgium won't win anything with this ''golden generation''.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

- Courtois in his prime

1. Agreed, Courtois is quality.
2. Excellent CBs, probably best in the competition.
3. Tielemans is inexperienced and having an average season so far. Agreed on Mertens though.
4. De Bruyne will be their talisman.
5. Don't agree, he's having an average season. 8 goals, 2 assists in the PL is a bad return for Hazard. Rooney has scored more than Hazard (let that sink in).
6. Lukaku will be a handful but relies on service and does miss a lot of shots.
7. Players you mentioned are average except Carrasco, who I do rate but seems as though Atletico doesn't. Will be interesting to watch Januzaj again.

Basically they have some excellent players sprinkled with some average ones and don't have good depth. They were my dark horses last competition but I think this time round there are better teams, some of their players they haven't really developed as much as I expected them too. Hazard's development has stalled at Chelsea, they'll need him to be in excellent form if they want to get far imo.

BlueSingh

Supports
Manchester City
Martinez is not a good enough coach tactically. Apart from Meunier they dont really have decent attacking fullbacks, and Martinez' stubbornness to not select Nainggolan is a weird one really. I don't expect them to do anything special.

Luke1995

3. Tielemans is inexperienced and having an average season so far. Agreed on Mertens though.
5. Don't agree, he's having an average season. 8 goals, 2 assists in the PL is a bad return for Hazard. Rooney has scored more than Hazard (let that sink in).
7. Players you mentioned are average except Carrasco, who I do rate but seems as though Atletico doesn't. Will be interesting to watch Januzaj again.

Basically they have some excellent players sprinkled with some average ones and don't have good depth. They were my dark horses last competition but I think this time round there are better teams, some of their players they haven't really developed as much as I expected them too. Hazard's development has stalled at Chelsea, they'll need him to be in excellent form if they want to get far imo.
Fair points, but Hazard and De Bruyne can win games on individual moments alone. Of course there are other teams with even more talented players who can do that, but I think Belgium reachs the quarter finals like last time at least.

Messi, the french side, the german side and maybe Brazil are the walls in their way.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Fair points, but Hazard and De Bruyne can win games on individual moments alone. Of course there are other teams with even more talented players who can do that, but I think Belgium reachs the quarter finals like last time at least.

Messi, the french side, the german side and maybe Brazil are the walls in their way.
I agree, they should be getting to the quarters, that should be their objective and anything past that is a bonus (I think the same of England fwiw). Just don't rate them as highly as the previous tournament as I think other teams have caught up a bit.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Fellaini is still one of their important player isn't it, at least he starts most games.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
We're nowhere near good enough to play any sort of meaningful role at the World Cup.
The team is more than good enough and knockout football is very different to qualification football. We didn't win a single game by more than 1 goal for our qualification for the Euros and ended up winning it.

Belgium's attack is great but not good enough to win it by themselves, they're suited to play a more counterattacking style so instead of going for it with all 4 of Lukaku, De Bruyne, Hazard and Mertens they should keep Mertens on the bench and add a man to the midfield. The CB partnership is great and you'll be very good at set pieces, just need to keep the team solid defensively and try to catch teams on the counter and you'll have a great chance. The draw is the only thing holding you back as you'll most likely play either Germany or Brazil in the quarters.

Ainu

The team is more than good enough and knockout football is very different to qualification football. We didn't win a single game by more than 1 goal for our qualification for the Euros and ended up winning it.

Belgium's attack is great but not good enough to win it by themselves, they're suited to play a more counterattacking style so instead of going for it with all 4 of Lukaku, De Bruyne, Hazard and Mertens they should keep Mertens on the bench and add a man to the midfield. The CB partnership is great and you'll be very good at set pieces, just need to keep the team solid defensively and try to catch teams on the counter and you'll have a great chance. The draw is the only thing holding you back as you'll most likely play either Germany or Brazil in the quarters.
A team is more than the sum of quality players doing well at club level. These players have been playing together for many years now and they're still not a coherent unit on the pitch. In fact, those who have watched us regularly will agree we haven't even made any progress in that area since our World Cup 2014 qualifiers. Against decent sides who do have a coherent unit on the pitch, our lack thereof has been exposed every single time, except in a couple of meaningless friendlies. So no, I absolutely disagree we're more than good enough. We could be, but we aren't.

As for the "solid defensively". We're coached by Martinez. :lol:

Leeuw

Supports
Sporting CP
As a Belgian I don't believe in Belgium.

Some reasons:

* They have a good squad and on a good day they can make it difficult to any team in the world, but when did they beat one of the favourites for the last time. I can't remember that;
* I'm not convinced by the coach Martinez;
* I think they should build a team around some players and not just play the big guns. For example I don't know if Hazard and De Bruyne are compatible. Sorry for the Lukaku fans but I don't think he should be our first striker.

Brazil or Germany will be too strong if they will meet because don't underestimate the teams of group H in the first knock-out round.

I hope for a better coach after the world cup maybe Michel Preudhomme.

Gareth williams

Supports
Everton
Martinez is an inept manager with many of his ideas bordering on lunacy.
Having endured him at Everton I genuinely believe he's no place in the game. Might get away with it in international football. They could go out in the quarters to Brazil having played no one of real note and no one would question it

Really looking forward to his next club job. He'll destroy a side

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Could Mertens not start as central striker?

Belgium are the new England I think, get to quarter finals and lose.

They need more cohesion as a team, look how Italy tactically outfought them in the last euros with a much inferior 11 and Wales was similar in the quarters.

Can't believe Witsel is only 29, seems like he's been around for last 15 years.

bebeanderson

The most hard thing to have is great players, and they have it.

You can't tell me a team who has prime Hazard and De Bruyne hasn't got a chance. It's not like the supporting cast is shit, its actually world class. The problem they have is that their best players play in England, who struggle in July because of crazy calendar.
I wouldn't trade a attacking midfield with KDB and Hazard for Silva-Isco, Muller-Ozil, or any other in Europe.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Courtois
Meunier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - some LB
Dembele - Nainggolan - Dendoncker
De Bruyne - Mertens - Hazard

That's right, no Lukaku. Counter football with Hazard/Mertens displaying their trickyness and mobility.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Could Mertens not start as central striker?

Belgium are the new England I think, get to quarter finals and lose.

They need more cohesion as a team, look how Italy tactically outfought them in the last euros with a much inferior 11 and Wales was similar in the quarters.

Can't believe Witsel is only 29, seems like he's been around for last 15 years.
I think I remember seeing it once in a 3-4-3 (either in a friendly or against some minnow opponent). But otherwise Lukaku seems to be nailed on as a starter. He scored like crazy lately, tbf.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Now I'm not saying Hazard has been as good as KDB this season, but the stats show he's not exactly as far off being as creative and dangerous a force offensively. The difference arguably is in productivity - but KDB has players around him flying and Hazard has a team of bang average players and fecking Morata who loves missing a sitter.

For me Hazard is still the best player in the PL at his absolute best, he can completely carry a team in a way not many can. Fortunately for Belgium, they have both of them. They simply have to find a way to get the best out of them because IMO, right now they are two of the top 5 in the world and that will go some way towards deciding their chances of going deep in to the WC.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

Now I'm not saying Hazard has been as good as KDB this season, but the stats show he's not exactly as far off being as creative and dangerous a force offensively. The difference arguably is in productivity - but KDB has players around him flying and Hazard has a team of bang average players and fecking Morata who loves missing a sitter.

For me Hazard is still the best player in the PL at his absolute best, he can completely carry a team in a way not many can. Fortunately for Belgium, they have both of them. They simply have to find a way to get the best out of them because IMO, right now they are two of the top 5 in the world and that will go some way towards deciding their chances of going deep in to the WC.

Those stats are stupid as you're comparing apples and oranges

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Those stats are stupid as you're comparing apples and oranges
Not really pal. Both are offensive players, both are looked at as the main creative forces in their team, yes Hazard is probably more of a main man than KDB to an extent and operates a bit further up the pitch, he's also playing in a much worse team with much shitter players around him.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Who the feck is basing KDB's season on the number of tackles he's made?
Because he's become an all round midfielder and just comparing attacking stays doesn't do justice to what role KDB plays now