Film Ben Affleck to step down as Batman. Nick Jonas to take over?

lsd

The Oracle
There's not been a bad Batman/Bruce Wayne onscreen yet.And the ones who are considered to be 'poor representations' of the caped crusader were merely let down by those films having poor narrative structure and tone.
Any decent actor could successfully pull off Batman.I mean look at Affleck. Hardly a actor with a great range and yet his Batman was relatively allright, in what was a shambles of a production in his two outings.

George Clooney says hi

Arnie Hammer is a terrible actor and from what I've seen of Nick Jonas he isn't any better .

Why does he have to be white anyway ?

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
George Clooney says hi

Arnie Hammer is a terrible actor and from what I've seen of Nick Jonas he isn't any better .

If we're going to stay in the universe where Bruce Wayne is Batman, he'll have to be portrayed by a white actor because Bruce Wayne is white and has been portrayed as such in all the comics. Though there was a sort of a spin off character in the very same universe, called Batwing, who was black.

George Clooney says hi
Clooney and Kilmer were good choices for Batman, it's just they were let down by the tone and overall direction of the film.
They did ok in what were what were essentially 2 hour toy commercials.

Armie Hammer is a terrible actor and from what I've seen of Nick Jonas he isn't any better .
He's really not.He shows considerable range and screen presence in Luca Guadagnino's,who only recently effectively re-imagined Argento's horror fantasy Suspiria, Call Me by Your Name.

He doesn't. Though I'm doubtful DC and WB would go down such a route with their first new outing for Batman.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I have not but I’ve heard it’s quite good. I have seen him in the Lone Ranger, Man from Uncle, Reaper and other films and based off of those he falls in to the category of crap.
Even giving you the benefit of the doubt, how much fcukin range do you need to pull off Batman?

starman

Bruce Wayne, privileged background, raised by his butler. All for diversity but I don't buy that story if the actor is not white...

There is no reason a solo batwing movie can't be made

Last edited:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If we're going to stay in the universe where Bruce Wayne is Batman, he'll have to be portrayed by a white actor because Bruce Wayne is white and has been portrayed as such in all the comics. Though there was a sort of a spin off character in the very same universe, called Batwing, who was black.
Well Nick Fury was white in the comics, so I wouldn't have that as the sole argument. Overall though I think it makes sense for Bruce Wayne to be white. He is the generally the epitome of white privilege, so if he wasn't white a you will pretty much have to change the character's background as things stand.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Well Nick Fury was white in the comics, so I wouldn't have that as the sole argument. Overall though I think it makes sense for Bruce Wayne to be white. He is the generally the epitome of white privilege, so if he wasn't white a you will pretty much have to change the character's background as things stand.
Fair point about Nick Fury, I'd forgotten about him. But do you reckon DC are willing to stray as far from source material as Marvel have?

Cloud7

If it’s not Bale then surely it has to be Gyllenhaal, Fassbender or just some unknown, there isn’t really anyone I can just think of that I would think yeah that’s Batman.
Man, Fassbender would be an amazing Batman. His portrayal of Magneto is one of my favourite superhero castings ever. A man can dream :drool:

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I actually hope Bennifer comes back after they finish with young Batman. I thought he was alright...

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Jon Hamm would be a great Bruce Wayne. I'd like to see Lewis Tan given the role though.
I actually hope Bennifer comes back after they finish with young Batman. I thought he was alright...
Despite having said the above I do agree with you also. I thought he was good in both Bruce/Bat roles and was just let down by how the character was written.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Cast Halle Berry, cant be worse than catwoman and an older black lady will give qt least one Oscar nomination for diversity purposes alone.

jeff_goldblum

In the Marvel stuff, the character being portrayed is actually Nick Fury Jr, who is canonically black and, funnily enough, specifically drawn to look like Samuel L Jackson years before he was cast in the role.

Edit - I don't disagree about Bruce Wayne mind

Oldyella

In the Marvel stuff, the character being portrayed is actually Nick Fury Jr, who is canonically black and, funnily enough, specifically drawn to look like Samuel L Jackson years before he was cast in the role.

Edit - I don't disagree about Bruce Wayne mind
I think Nick Jr came about after Sam Jackson. The Mcu nick fury was based on the Ultimates nick fury(a reimagined avengers for more modern era) who was clearly drawn as Sam Jackson.

Kevin smith does a podcast with marc bernardin, who as a black comic book writer thinks Bruce Wayne wouldn't work, and he's the guy who begun championing Donald glover as spiderman way back.

Sylar

Right now it doesn't matter who plays batman

Cos it will still be run by the same people that gave us batman Vs superman and justice League

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Right now it doesn't matter who plays batman

Cos it will still be run by the same people that gave us batman Vs superman and justice League
Not creatively it won't, and I'm pretty sure the executives have changed after the Justice League shambles as well.

Reeves seems to be taking it in an interesting and as yet unexplored (in live action) direction so could be fun.

Chairman Steve

Most of the guys who have portrayed have all said they were drawn to Bruce Wayne and the duality theme of his character rather than the alter ego Batman. Keaton said it, Bale said it and Affleck said it.

Gyllenhaal would be a great Batman. Pretty sure I read somewhere he was seriously considered for the role by Nolan for Batman Begins.

I’d love to see Josh Brolin play an older Batman too if such movie existed where an older Batman would be needed.

Andersons Dietician

Most of the guys who have portrayed have all said they were drawn to Bruce Wayne and the duality theme of his character rather than the alter ego Batman. Keaton said it, Bale said it and Affleck said it.

Gyllenhaal would be a great Batman. Pretty sure I read somewhere he was seriously considered for the role by Nolan for Batman Begins.

I’d love to see Josh Brolin play an older Batman too if such movie existed where an older Batman would be needed.
Maybe in or after Flashpoint or in the DC Dark stuff that is coming. I wonder if the reason they cast Jeffery Dean Morgan to play Thomas Wayne was so they could have him be Flashpoint Batman who was an older, darker more damaged and violent Batman. But then Affleck was supposed to be an older damaged Batman past his best.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Riddler: Adrien Brody
Batman: Diogo Morgado
Gordon: John Cho

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Pay Nolan and Bale a butt load of money to make Batman 4

Pay Tom Welling a smaller load of money to make some Super Man films.

Lastwolf

Pay Nolan and Bale a butt load of money to make Batman 4

Pay Tom Welling a smaller load of money to make some Super Man films.

Before Begins, Nolan was a weird pick for an action film director and Bale wasn't a household name but someone in charge said "feck it, it's a dead franchise anyway". I feel like they fecked up every time they've tried to dream team, summer blockbuster. Nolan succeeded because he thought about it for more than 10 minutes and what would be cool, make a good movie first, the franchises will sort themselves out.

I don't think you need to go back the well with Nolan and Bale, although I'd buy a ticket for that right now without watching a trailer or caring what the plot is.

I maintain they should get weird with it, multiverse the feck out of it, do separate stories in separate universes then Justice League a team up Crisis on Infinite Earth style if it works, if it doesn't just give up for a while.

ravi2

Clooney and Kilmer were good choices for Batman, it's just they were let down by the tone and overall direction of the film.
They did ok in what were what were essentially 2 hour toy commercials.

He's really not.He shows considerable range and screen presence in Luca Guadagnino's,who only recently effectively re-imagined Argento's horror fantasy Suspiria, Call Me by Your Name.

He doesn't. Though I'm doubtful DC and WB would go down such a route with their first new outing for Batman.

Holy Shit I forgot Val Kilmer played Batman, he was good in Heat though.

kps88

Are people only talking about Nick Jonas because the guy jokingly replied to a random story on Instagram?