Ben Brereton Díaz

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
And another one for Big Ben!! :drool:

Not many available worldclass strikers like him today.

Out blind scouts probably have no idea this guy exists :lol: Apparently Leeds wants him... soon enough he will be scoring against us.

Also, Marcelino scored a worldie free kick.

This young guy is so good and with so much personality. Just a few weeks since he arrived to England, and he already the better player of his team and one of the best in the championship.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
And another one for Big Ben!! :drool:

Not many available worldclass strikers like him today.

Out blind scouts probably have no idea this guy exists :lol:
He was in your youth system so they should have some idea about who he is :D

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
He came through our youth system and got his debut in I think 2017. His only good game for us was against Arsenal in the cup where he tore them apart. The problem was at 18 he was a sulky ego monster who thought he should be first name on the team sheet. When Blackburn came in for him a year later and paid £7m we couldn’t take the money fast enough. What makes it all the sweeter is that we have a hefty sell on clause.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Amazed he hasn't turned up in premier league yet, don't think he even has that long left on his Blackburn deal so you'd have thought Everton would've been all over this.

Some 12 months for him, not like his scoring record was even that good for Blackburn for two years after joining.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
That's assuming our current scouting team has any level of competency, which they don't, sadly.
Jesus wept, Diaz is nowhere near good enough, his level for sure is the Championship/lower level Premiership.

United were after Diaz about 4 years ago to bring him back to the club, so for sure our scouts know who he is.

Varun1

Jesus wept, Diaz is nowhere near good enough, his level for sure is the Championship/lower level Premiership.

United were after Diaz about 4 years ago to bring him back to the club, so for sure our scouts know who he is.
Bring him back to the club... was he a United youth player?

George Owen

Good enough to score against Argentina...

Brereton is set to become a Dad in January 2023. This guy will become a beast with the extra motivation.

Goal and assist today :drool:

Champ

Good enough to score against Argentina...

Brereton is set to become a Dad in January 2023. This guy will become a beast with the extra motivation.

Goal and assist today :drool:

Enner Valencia scored against Argentina recently too, perhaps we should sign him :lol:

He's a good player, but at the level he is playing at. No more than that.

I guess we will see though, with Sevilla apparently after him, along with Leeds and West Ham (although the West Ham links are mostly rubbish) and Tomasson pretty much stating that he's likely to depart this window.

acolyte

I've lurked on here long enough to remember the mini clamours for Callum McManaman after THAT FA Cup final and James McClean after he first broke through for Sunderland. This thread us every bit as ignominious as those.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

Why were United after him 4 years ago? :confused:

I've lurked on here long enough to remember the mini clamours for Callum McManaman after THAT FA Cup final and James McClean after he first broke through for Sunderland. This thread us every bit as ignominious as those.
It was also said that Robertson would become one of the best LBs in the league after getting relegated with Hull. I don't know what Robertson has to do with this, but I also don't know what McManaman and McClean have to do with things either.

Not that I think United should go for Diaz

George Owen

Enner Valencia scored against Argentina recently too, perhaps we should sign him :lol:

He's a good player, but at the level he is playing at. No more than that.

I guess we will see though, with Sevilla apparently after him, along with Leeds and West Ham (although the West Ham links are mostly rubbish) and Tomasson pretty much stating that he's likely to depart this window.
A Penalty. :nono:

We'll see what is his level but right now, he is some of what we need. A composed guy, that can score anytime, with his left or his right foot, as soon he gets the ball inside or close to the box. A guy that can hold up the ball well without panicking when pressed. A guy with great aerial game, defensively and offensive. A hard worker. He tracks back, press, runs his ass off.

Probably too expensive now to buy as a patch, though, and too unproven to fully commit to build upon, from our management point of view.

Last edited:

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I'd have said more chance of us signing Brer Rabbit before the Arnautovic thing, but now I don't know. :(

reelworld

We'll see what is his level but right now, he is some of what we need. A composed guy, that can score anytime, with his left or his right foot, as soon he gets the ball inside or close to the box. A guy that can hold up the ball well without panicking when pressed. A guy with great aerial game, defensively and offensive. A hard worker. He tracks back, press, runs his ass off.

Probably too expensive now to buy as a patch, though, and too unproven to fully commit to build upon, from our management point of view.
How much would you think need to be offered for Rovers to consider it?
I think buying these kind of players (unproven, on the way up, with more room to improve) are the way to go for a rebuild like United.

Champ

Ah, penalties don't count as real goals.....

He'll cost £20m, that's what Blackburn are after.

He's a decent player, but not outstanding. As I say, I feel Championship is where he will shine, I feel he will struggle in taking the step up.

Champ

Why were United after him 4 years ago? :confused:

It was also said that Robertson would become one of the best LBs in the league after getting relegated with Hull. I don't know what Robertson has to do with this, but I also don't know what McManaman and McClean have to do with things either.

Not that I think United should go for Diaz
He was tearing it up at u23/academy level for Forest at the time and so United were sniffing around. It was probably more like 5 years ago now to be fair.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Ah, penalties don't count as real goals.....

He'll cost £20m, that's what Blackburn are after.

He's a decent player, but not outstanding. As I say, I feel Championship is where he will shine, I feel he will struggle in taking the step up.
Then he'll probably leave for free next year.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
He was tearing it up at u23/academy level for Forest at the time and so United were sniffing around. It was probably more like 5 years ago now to be fair.
Ah gotcha, woulda made sense even if it was getting numbers for the u23 side or that kind of situation

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
20m still seems a bit risky for him. He's had one exceptional season but before that he was very average.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
At the end of last season I thought he'd definitely leave us this summer, but I guess Premier League clubs that could potentially have been interested were put off by his price tag, especially given that he has 1 year left on his contract and that he'll be available for reduced price during the January transfer window and then a free transfer next summer.

Going into the summer, I wouldn't have minded us selling him and bringing in £20 million to strengthen our squad. But assuming that he isn't snapped before this transfer window closes, I hope he can continue to bang in the goals for us. He was immense during our pre-season game against Celtic, and has been superb so far during our league games.

One thing we've done very well over the years is bring in strikers that have performed well (the hardest part of recruitment), though continually having among the best strikers in the Championship (Rhodes, Gestede, Armstrong, Brereton Diaz etc.) and failing to finish in the top 6 even once, has been frustrating.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Should have tried harder to offload him when his stock was high.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Amazed no prem club has seriously tried to sign him.

Was talk of Everton looking in summer and think he'd have done well for likes of Fulham and Forest aswell.

Perhaps they're viewing it as him just having one good season of scoring in championship but he's done pretty well at international level aswell against good south american teams.

Villareal is big step up so intrigued how he does next season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Was talk of Everton looking in summer and think he'd have done well for likes of Fulham and Forest aswell.

Perhaps they're viewing it as him just having one good season of scoring in championship but he's done pretty well at international level aswell against good south american teams.

He's had a pretty underwhelming season, it has to be said.

Champ

He's average at best. That's probably why.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He's average at best. That's probably why.
Not sure what fee Blackburn wanted last summer but I don't think 10-12m would've been that bad a deal given his age.

When I see Carlos Vinicius waddling around the pitch for Fulham the other night I think he'd have been a good alternative for them for mitro who's missed 5-6 games already this season. Leeds also missed a focal point upfront with Bamford's endless injuries.

AltiUn

Not sure what fee Blackburn wanted last summer but I don't think 10-12m would've been that bad a deal given his age.

When I see Carlos Vinicius waddling around the pitch for Fulham the other night I think he'd have been a good alternative for them for mitro who's missed 5-6 games already this season. Leeds also missed a focal point upfront with Bamford's endless injuries.
Rumours they wanted nearly £20m for him which is a bit excessive if true.

Champ

10 goals and 4 assists for midtable Blackburn so far this season isn’t that bad surely?

I agree with @FootballHQ in that it will be interesting to see how he does at a better quality side.
Blackburn are 4th?! :lol:

They are also one of the lowest scoring teams in the league, that might say something for Diaz or for the team as a whole to be fair though..

AltiUn

10 goals and 4 assists for midtable Blackburn so far this season isn’t that bad surely?

I agree with @FootballHQ in that it will be interesting to see how he does at a better quality side.
He just looks disinterested, like he couldn’t give a toss about being there. His all-round play is lacklustre. Doesn’t help when Blackburn are as hot and cold as they are too.

TheReligion

Abusive
He just looks disinterested, like he couldn’t give a toss about being there. His all-round play is lacklustre. Doesn’t help when Blackburn are as hot and cold as they are too.
Not great but does happen when a player is a level or two above his teammates.

Wouldnt surprise me if he thought he was leaving in the summer and it didn’t happen?

@Rocksy?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He scored 20 of his 22 goals in the Championship last season in the first 25 games. He was injured at the end but the season before and this season probably shows that he was in a purple patch which roughly coincides with his call up for Chile and playing time with them. They should have tried to cash in on him in the summer. I think teams would have probably took him for 10m base fee and 5-10 in add-ons. I suppose they thought he was worth more this season to them but I'm not so sure.