Ben Chilwell | Chelsea player

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
yes he is now.

peak Marcelo can't defend. Don't you want peak Marcelo?
I hate to break it to you but Ben Chillwell is decidedly not peak Marcelo.

Leonzo1

Anything other than a premier league title or a very close title challenge will be a massive failure for Chelsea. One hell of a transfer window for them, must be nice for Frank to be backed like this.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yeah I don't think he's terrible player, for what it's worth. He's just painfully average and reeaaalllyyy slow in everything he does on the pitch.
He's quicker than Alonso is and better at passing and dribbling the ball, too. Defensively, he's no better, but that wouldn't matter much as he'll offer Chelsea more going forward.
For me Alonso is a better wingback than he is a fullback, I prefer him higher up the pitch with less responsibility to track back. I don't want to base my criticism on one incident but the West Ham one Gary Neville went sick over caught in my mind, and I see Chilwell as if not a vastly superior defensive player then at least a safer pair on hands to play in a back four with a requirement to get involved in three thirds of the field.

The money I'll leave to others as I'm less and less interested with every passing day about fees, wages and other transfer machinations but Chilwell looks a good signing for Chelsea.

led_scholes

Maybe we can make an offer for Alonso as a loanee with a small fee? Shaw-Alonso as lb and AWB-Williams-Laird (for league cup), since OGS doesn't seem to rate Dalot. Alonso will play at least 50% of games and we can also play sometimes with both Alonso and Shaw in 3-5-2.

zakk88

Supports
Chelsea
I really don't think I am. He has an eye for the goal, there's always a chance that he'll pop up in the right place at the right time to score a vital goal, but his overall defensive and attacking contributions has been quite poor. He's looked pretty decent compared to Emerson, but that's a very low bar.

I don't expect the world from Chilwell, but the hope is that he improves with time, but even as he is now, he improves the team immediately.
The problem with alonso is that he lacks the pace to be an effective left back, he can cross and he can't beat his man.
He always seemed to be constantly out of position, with no recovery pace.

JSArsenal

According to the numbers thrown around here, Chelsea seem to pay their players less than we do, or the same.

Which is shocking. Although, I remember Arsene coming out and hinting years ago about something being up with Chelsea and their reported wages.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
People in this thread are getting mixed up between pre-tax and net wages.

Chilwell may very well be on 190k per week pre-tax, which translates to 100k per week roughly net. The latter seems more or less in line with what we are generally reported to pay our first team squad.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Maybe we can make an offer for Alonso as a loanee with a small fee? Shaw-Alonso as lb and AWB-Williams-Laird (for league cup), since OGS doesn't seem to rate Dalot. Alonso will play at least 50% of games and we can also play sometimes with both Alonso and Shaw in 3-5-2.
Don't think Alonso is leaving; he'll be our backup / option if we want to play 3 ATB. Emerson looks set to go to Inter for ~€20-25m.

JB7

Main problem with that is he's absolutely shite. And a murderer. Otherwise great shout.

led_scholes

Main problem with that is he's absolutely shite. And a murderer. Otherwise great shout.
IMO, he is not that bad, and he will be a stop gap cheap solution for a year or two.

About him being a murderer i must admit i haven't heard it before. If it is true, obviously stay away from him.

IAmAWinner

I think he is bang average, Leicester have done very well to get that amount.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Big upgrade on Alonso for them. I think he's good not great, but could step up a level.

Though with Willian also gone, hopefully this means they score less free kicks

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
According to the numbers thrown around here, Chelsea seem to pay their players less tha
Arsene should have come up with proof that what Chelsea did wrong in reporting wages . He was a great manager but when it came to Chelsea he talked lot of utter nonsense.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Anything other than a premier league title or a very close title challenge will be a massive failure for Chelsea. One hell of a transfer window for them, must be nice for Frank to be backed like this.
Well we may not win the title but we will surely fight to close the gap from 30+ to 10-15 pts from champions at the end of the season if last 2 season champions maintain their high standard. Otherwise why should you invest this much of talent into the squad. Looking forward to the season with huge positivity.

::sonny::

They have a super player In that role, Alonso, but he doesn’t play and nobody knows why

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Do you think he is better than Alonso? That's who is he replacing.
Sure but why spend £50 million on an average upgrade. Struggle to believe you can’t get better than Chilwell for £50 million across Europe.

Ekeke

Do you think getting 5 goals a season from a full back is worth sticking with one that can't really defend?
Chilwell isnt much better in that respect. He's just a different attacking option, presumably with less goals and a longer career ahead

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Chilwell was supposedly on £65k per week at Leicester, we wouldn’t need to treble that to sign him.

We’re also paying Werner £170k a week. Why would we be paying our left back £20k a week more than our star striker?

Most sites show that £190k would make Chilwell close to, if not our highest earner. That’s clearly not the case
I would rather believe reliable journalist than assumptions on internet forum.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
People in this thread are getting mixed up between pre-tax and net wages.

Chilwell may very well be on 190k per week pre-tax, which translates to 100k per week roughly net. The latter seems more or less in line with what we are generally reported to pay our first team squad.
All wages in UK are reported pre tax.

90 + 5min

The problem with alonso is that he lacks the pace to be an effective left back, he can cross and he can't beat his man.
He always seemed to be constantly out of position, with no recovery pace.
If you think Alsonso is out of position you will be going bold quickly when you start to monitor Chilwells position in his defensive game.

As I said earlier to one of your Chelsea mates. I don't think that he will be upgrade from Alonso because I don't rate him as much as some do and because I actually think Alonso is a better player overall. Right now. Some things can be in favour of Chilwell. Younger and coming to Chelsea means playing with better players and learning more.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Stupid sexy Chelsea. Ok Chilwell isn’t going to make them contenders but with havertz and Werner I reckon they’ll be heavily in the mix for the PL and CL over the next 5 years. Smart business going all in this summer when the market is a little flat

Supermonkey_Wolf

Supports
Chelsea
If you think Alsonso is out of position you will be going bold quickly when you start to monitor Chilwells position in his defensive game.

As I said earlier to one of your Chelsea mates. I don't think that he will be upgrade from Alonso because I don't rate him as much as some do and because I actually think Alonso is a better player overall. Right now. Some things can be in favour of Chilwell. Younger and coming to Chelsea means playing with better players and learning more.
Its mainly the physical difference which will translate defensively.

Alonso is just too slow to recover. Chilwell's speed will be the biggest upgrade for recovering when being countered. Outside of that I dont see defensive improvement. But Alonso was particularly bad at that.

On the ball Chilwell is the superior passer and dribbler. He will improve our build up player in all areas of the pitch. He just won't pose as much of a goal threat

C'est Moi Cantona

People will get upset about Chelsea signing lots of seemingly really good first team players all at once, but we did it (Falcao, ADM, Herrera, Blind, Shaw, Rojo), Spurs tried it (Lamela, Soldano, Paulinho, Eriksen, Chadli. Capoue), and it didn't end well overall in the upcoming season, and I'd expect similar from here, some hit, some miss, and a season of overall disappointment