Ben Chilwell to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We paid 50m for AWB.. just saying
Difference being we signed AWB to sure up the defence which he's more than done so, feck knows why Chelsea are signing Chilwell because offensively he's not better than Alonso and defensively he's barely an upgrade

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Difference being we signed AWB to sure up the defence which he's more than done so, feck knows why Chelsea are signing Chilwell because offensively he's not better than Alonso and defensively he's barely an upgrade
That's not really true though.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I love Alonso as a LWB, Alonso as a LB is a big no go.

Even as a wingback he is slow but has cover from the LCB so he attacks more but good teams like Spurs have exploited that in the past (Eriksen destroyed us with his crosses one game). As a LB he simply gets doubled up on, he gets given the run around and doesn’t get forward half as much.

Purely as a LB Chilwell IS an upgrade but I haven’t seen enough of him to say he is better as a wingback. I doubt he would score as many goals though.

romufc

It is obvious that Frank wants to play a 4 back.

Unfortunately, his defence did not let him play that, not only were the CB's not good enough but Alonso cannot play LB, he is a LWB who loves to attack.

So buying Chilwell is a very good buy because he will improve them defensively yet can put a good ball into the box.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Every one of the players you list will have their wages paid by someone else next season barring Giroud (who will be a useful squad member) and Drinkwater (who will have a %paid).

Us having a huge squad is not an accident or mistake, it's been club policy for years.
You're having a laugh if you think you can loan them all out and have the other teams pay all their wages. That's a lot of players to get rid off in 6 weeks in an economy where teams aren't looking to get overpayed players.

Squad is still huge without those players.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You're having a laugh if you think you can loan them all out and have the other teams pay all their wages. That's a lot of players to get rid off in 6 weeks in an economy where teams aren't looking to get overpayed players.

Squad is still huge without those players.
Disagree - if anything clubs are more likely to utilise loans as they might not have the capital to fund their transfer budget normally. There will almost certainly be a surfeit of loans with purchase obligations down the line this window.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
@FriendlyFox

If you are going to compare Maguire & Soyuncu, you might want to compare Maguire under Rodgers only. Soyuncu will look much worse under Puel. Soyuncu has higher potential however on current level Maguire is the better defender. And when Maguire was at Leicester under Rodgers, your defense was much better in term of overall goal conceded per game than with Soyuncu under Rodger.

Chilwell been so poor this season, been watching him playing so bad this season. Could Maguire’s leaving was the big factor of Chilwell dropping performance compared to his 18/19? He looked much more promising in 18/19.
That's a fair comment, though Maguire under Rodgers is a small sample size. I think there's definitely an argument that Maguire could be better, for sure, but I think it's really not clear cut at all. I certainly wouldn't say we miss Maguire, or that him leaving has made us noticeably weaker.

I suppose how I think about it, is if we had Maguire back, would he be a starter? Possibly. The question would be "Which one would partner Evans".

The difference between Valencia who had been dead on his feet for at least 3 years and AWB was gigantic, and so for Utd it was worth paying that money.

Similar to Kepa last year, Chelsea simply didn’t have a keeper and so needed to spend big. Chilwell is a good player, and better than what they have, but it’s not a seismic upgrade.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Disagree - if anything clubs are more likely to utilise loans as they might not have the capital to fund their transfer budget normally. There will almost certainly be a surfeit of loans with purchase obligations down the line this window.
Like I said, loans does not mean that wages will be paid. Not many teams can afford to pay a single player 100k or more.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Chelsea are going for the title
Do some Chelsea fans have the same view as OleOut crew?
As in they dont think Lampard is qualified enough or doesnt have a high enough ceiling or managerial potential to lead you to trophies.
After all, Lampard is of similar profile to Solskjaer to their club, albeit, with much less experience.

I guess what I'm asking is if Lampard is capable of getting the very best out of this group of players?

Last edited:

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Like I said, loans does not mean that wages will be paid. Not many teams can afford to pay a single player 100k or more.
Sure that's possible! That said, historically we've recouped loan fees that cover players' wages regularly and I guess I just disagree that the pandemic would negatively impact loans - £100k per week is more or less €6m per year. I could see that loan fee being far more manageable for clubs than, say, €30m to secure a transfer upfront.

That said, no one we'd be loaning out is on those sorts of wages anyhow (possibly the only exception being Kepa).

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Do some Chelsea fans have the same view as OleOut crew?
As in they dont think he is qualified enough or doesnt have a high enough ceiling or managerial potential to lead you to trophies.
After all, Lampard is of similar profile to Solskjaer to their club, albeit, with much less experience.

I guess what I'm asking is if Lampard is capable of getting the very best out of this group of players?
I think that's 100% a fair question and one that Chelsea are still in the process of assessing.

For me personally, I think there is an inherent value to him being so deeply tied to the club - he's the first manager in years and years to regularly attend our youth matches and interact with / encourage our young players, even beyond the first team. In addition, there have been numerous reports where our recent acquisitions have cited conversations with Lampard about his vision of the team as being key in their signing (specifically the Ziyech and Werner deals).

I'd also say that he exceeded my expectations coming into the year in securing top 4 + making a cup final - although we finished with a mediocre points total, I'd have bitten your hand off if you'd offered 4th place to start the year given our transfer ban + the sale of our best player by a mile.

I guess this is all to say that I'm cautiously optimistic. I don't think there's a huge movement to get rid of Lampard but at the same time he's undoubtedly benefited from lower expectations given the circumstances of his appointment.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's a fair comment, though Maguire under Rodgers is a small sample size. I think there's definitely an argument that Maguire could be better, for sure, but I think it's really not clear cut at all. I certainly wouldn't say we miss Maguire, or that him leaving has made us noticeably weaker.

I suppose how I think about it, is if we had Maguire back, would he be a starter? Possibly. The question would be "Which one would partner Evans".
I don't know about that though. Your defense stats under Maguire & Rodgers are better than under Soyuncu & Rodgers. And when you look at it as well, how is Chilwell plays alongside Maguire was playing much better than Chilwell plays alongside Soyuncu?

ghagua

Shaw’s been very good all season WHEN he has been fit, the trouble is every season you can expect him to miss a big chunk of games due to injury.
Is Williams (natural RB) good enough to cover that position long term? I think we all know the answer to that so maybe better to buy a new first choice LB and let Shaw be the competition when fit.
I have been one of Shaw's biggest supporters on here when Maureen was lambasting him on a weekly basis and everyone was lapping it up, but we have to do better. I know he is chunky, but he looks overweight a lot of the time, plus his injures are a big factor as well. Funnily enough, he seems more professional about his career now, but he has lost that attacking threat he had before his big injury. Will he get back to the same? not sure he will be able to overcome that mental block. Not an expert on that side of medical stuff, but I am a medic and don't think he will.

As for Williams, not sure about that. He does look good, but can he progress to the next level? Pus he is not a naturally left-footed player which you have to consider.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
IFunnily enough, he seems more professional about his career now, but he has lost that attacking threat he had before his big injury. Will he get back to the same? not sure he will be able to overcome that mental block. Not an expert on that side of medical stuff, but I am a medic and don't think he will.
Keep hearing this and think its pure BS. Last 2 seasons has been his best since joining us. If you have any stats to back your claims, share them please.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

The fee agreed with Leicester is understood to be around £50million, with further money due on instalments and add-one.
Ben Chilwell is set to sign a five-year deal worth around £190,000 a week with Chelsea later this week.
This is bit vague. So the fee is more than 50 million, 50 million is just upfront money and then they will pay installments and add ons.

Either that or, 50 million + add ons which was worded wrong by Percy.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

This is bit vague. So the fee is more than 50 million, 50 million is just upfront money and then they will pay installments and add ons.

Either that or, 50 million + add ons which was worded wrong by Percy.
It sounds like he's trying to say it's £50m plus add-ons, which would be surprising because we were previously told it was £45m plus £5m add-ons.

The wages per week is also slightly surprising. It's more than I expected.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Maybe he will prove me wrong but 50m + 190k a week? You’d think he was one of the best in the league and he’s barely in the top 3 LBs in the league. :nervous:

roonster09

Scout
It sounds like he's trying to say it's £50m plus add-ons, which would be surprising because we were previously told it was £45m plus £5m add-ons.

The wage per week is also slightly surprising. It's more than I expected.
Yeah, its not clear. He mentioned 50 m + further money due in installments and also add ons. Will see how others will report this.

Craig Ward

Maybe he will prove me wrong but 50m + 190k a week? You’d think he was one of the best in the league and he’s barely in the top 3 LBs in the league. :nervous:
Who bar Robertson is better than him then?

I rate Shaw highly but his consistency and injury history dont help him,

Chilwell is Englands no1 LB and I personally think it's a brilliant signing for Chelsea.

Chelsea are hitting this transfer window hard, showing some real intent to improve. Bit of a worry for us, we were pretty much on a level standing with Chelsea but they have already signed top quality and are getting deals done that improve them significantly

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Who bar Robertson is better than him then?

I rate Shaw highly but his consistency and injury history dont help him,

Chilwell is Englands no1 LB and I personally think it's a brilliant signing for Chelsea.

Chelsea are hitting this transfer window hard, showing some real intent to improve. Bit of a worry for us, we were pretty much on a level standing with Chelsea but they have already signed top quality and are getting deals done that improve them significantly
Robertson and Digne are the two standout LBs in the league and that is including if I remove my bias for Digne.

Chillwell has promise but let’s not confuse that promise or the fact that he’s England’s choice for LB as him being the best in the league or near it currently, we aren’t spoilt for choice on the left which is funny considering we previously had Cole and Baines.

I’d then say Tierney, Shaw and Chillwell are in the level below Digne and Robertson. Each have their own strengths and weakness right now and I think Tierney has the best potential of all of those 3.

It’s a good signing for Chelsea, yeah, but 190k per week...he really is nowhere near that level yet.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Personally think he's always been pretty overrated on here. Overpaying massively, IMO.

Craig Ward

Robertson and Digne are the two standout LBs in the league and that is including if I remove my bias for Digne.

Chillwell has promise but let’s not confuse that promise or the fact that he’s England’s choice for LB as him being the best in the league or near it currently, we aren’t spoilt for choice on the left which is funny considering we previously had Cole and Baines.

I’d then say Tierney, Shaw and Chillwell are in the level below Digne and Robertson. Each have their own strengths and weakness right now and I think Tierney has the best potential of all of those 3.

It’s a good signing for Chelsea, yeah, but 190k per week...he really is nowhere near that level yet.
I;d go with Robrtson as the elite lb in the league by far.

Much of a muchness between the rest, i dont get the hype with Digne myself. He's either 8/10 or pretty meh from what i've seen. Tierney seems ok, but like SHaw struggles to stay fit and gets put in a back 3 when Arsenal go with wingbacks, which doesnt help him as he seems a complete LB.

Wages will always be high, he's English, young, making the step up to a better club. Probably standard wages for a starting player for a top 4 club anyway. He makes Chelsea better, so worth it or them.

Crashoutcassius

Had a good season but has a lot to live up to... 50m is just what you pay for a left or right back thanks to city... but that is a big contract and a lot of pressure to perform

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
does this deal officially put chelsea over 200m spent this window?
£33m Ziyech
£47m Werner
£72m (+£18m add ons) Havertz
£50m Chilwell
£0 Silva

= £202m + £18m add ons

Player sales around £150m ish with more sales to come so net spend of £50-70m. (I know in accounting terms this isn't an accurate reflection)

WPMUFC

£33m Ziyech
£47m Werner
£50m Chilwell
£0 Silva

= £202m + £18m add ons

Player sales around £150m ish with more sales to come so net spend of £50-70m. (I know in accounting terms this isn't an accurate reflection)
crazy that they can negotiate Havertz and Chidwell basically at the same time and we're hoping for any deal by deadline day.

what a window for chelsea.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
crazy that they can negotiate Havertz and Chidwell basically at the same time and we're hoping for any deal by deadline day.

what a window for chelsea.
I find it strange that people find this crazy. I mean it's not like the negotiation teams locked into a conference room all day and night trying to hash out a deal. That's more of a desperate deadline day scenario, if anything.

I don't know who United are interested in apart from Sancho, but if they are dealing with other clubs for potential transfers, they probably schedule meetings in specific time slots to handle negotiations like everyone else.

ghagua

Keep hearing this and think its pure BS. Last 2 seasons has been his best since joining us. If you have any stats to back your claims, share them please.
What exactly do you think is BS? His chunky size, his injuries, or loss of his attacking game? I don't do stats shite. Watching a game when he is playing is more than enough.

roonster09

Scout
I find it strange that people find this crazy. I mean it's not like the negotiation teams locked into a conference room all day and night trying to hash out a deal. That's more of a desperate deadline day scenario, if anything.

I don't know who United are interested in apart from Sancho, but if they are dealing with other clubs for potential transfers, they probably schedule meetings in specific time slots to handle negotiations like everyone else.
I think you are missing sarcasm there. There was reports last year or before that we work only 1 deal at a time.

arnie_ni

£33m Ziyech
£47m Werner
£50m Chilwell
£0 Silva

= £202m + £18m add ons

Who have you sold for 150mil?

Status
Not open for further replies.