Ben Chilwell

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Doesn't appear to have his own thread. Another 3 assists tonight I see. I think this lad is the real deal. Seems to quietly go about his business week in week out but getting better and better all the time. Bigger clubs than Leicester going to be chasing after him very soon if they aren't already. I'd love him at United

izec

Some on here dont rate him. When i suggested to buy him next summer and pair him with Maguire, some got really offensive. Luke Shaw isnt good enough and needs an upgrade, that was before the emergence of Williams

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Some on here dont rate him. When i suggested to buy him next summer and pair him with Maguire, some got really offensive. Luke Shaw isnt good enough and needs an upgrade, that was before the emergence of Williams
Luke Shaw shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breath as Chilwell. I nearly get depressed watching Shaw for how little he runs compared to Chilwell and the other top fullbacks. Definately requires upgrading

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Said for ages now this guy is better than Luke Shaw and we should get him. He’s fitter and better going forwards and actually has an engine too. More nimble on the ball as well.

Shaws peak could have been higher but that is all if but and maybe - this guy is better period in the real world.

Based Adnan

He's great. Deffo the second best LB in the league behind Robertson. Will cost an arm and a leg though and our owners won't want to spend it on a LB after putting so much into Shaw's new contract.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Said for ages now this guy is better than Luke Shaw and we should get him. He’s fitter and better going forwards and actually has an engine too. More nimble on the ball as well.

Shaws peak could have been higher but that is all if but and maybe - this guy is better period in the real world.
We don't need to spunk 50 million on another fullback. Chillwell doesn't look a top fullback to me. May as well see where Shaw returns to his last season best form and go for a cheaper buy to give us a more attacking option from that position/develop Williams.

AkaAkuma

In an interview with Maddison, he said they were best friends. Along with Maguire they had a 'coffee club' going. Maddison came across as a level headed, slighty boring guy (in a good way), not the obnoxious character he has been painted on the forum.

NoPace

The new Leighton Baines?
Better athlete but I think less focus defensively and the same lovely crossing ability. Baines a bit better at link play (always though he could have played DM alright like Lahm and Kimmich do, at least on the ball), both great crossers. Not a bad comparison. Maybe peak Serie A Kolarov works better?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Guy is scary good
He is so "well-rounded" (is that the expression?). A complete fullback. A pretty good defender. Good in the air. Great passer. But he also incredibly fit. I was so impressed by the amount of sprints he puts down during a game I saw that I tried googling it and found this;

https://www.squawka.com/en/features/most-sprints-premier-league-player

He beat Robertson (who was second best) by 10 %. That is insane! This season he is the player at Leicester with the highest xGBuildup90. His figure is 0,42, while Maddison is at 0,23. He would mean alot to our attacking play.

I think there will be a lot of competition for him next summer. Probably one of the signings we could make that would be most certain to be very, very good. I can see Man City spend £50 mill on another fullback.

CM10

I think he might actually be Leicester's best player at the moment. City seems the likeliest destination given the money they throw around on defenders but I reckon there's an outside chance of a move to Chelsea.

Classical Mechanic

He is so "well-rounded" (is that the expression?). A complete fullback. A pretty good defender. Good in the air. Great passer. But he also incredibly fit. I was so impressed by the amount of sprints he puts down during a game I saw that I tried googling it and found this;

https://www.squawka.com/en/features/most-sprints-premier-league-player

He beat Robertson (who was second best) by 10 %. That is insane! This season he is the player at Leicester with the highest xGBuildup90. His figure is 0,42, while Maddison is at 0,23. He would mean alot to our attacking play.

I think there will be a lot of competition for him next summer. Probably one of the signings we could make that would be most certain to be very, very good. I can see Man City spend £50 mill on another fullback.
Are those stats including the Southampton game? Personally I discount that game when look at their xG data because it was such a freak result that it skews the data.

He is a total machine though, I think he'd be top class in a side like City or Liverpool.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He got a rinsing earlier in the game and Maguire had to slide in to concede a corner, but he's usually solid defensively and he has an absolute wand of a left foot. To be honest he'd be an upgrade on Shaw in every conceivable way, I'd love us to sign him.

tenpoless

Better athlete but I think less focus defensively and the same lovely crossing ability. Baines a bit better at link play (always though he could have played DM alright like Lahm and Kimmich do, at least on the ball), both great crossers. Not a bad comparison. Maybe peak Serie A Kolarov works better?
I haven't seen enough Kolarov in Serie A but We do need a fullback that can cross properly. After seeing Ashley Young and Valencia for so many years, it's time to have Bissaka and Chilwell as fullbacks :drool:

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Man City and Chelsea will certainly be sniffing around in the summer. It would take a monster bid for Leicester to sell him in January.
He is just what Chelsea need at the moment. I can't see it happening in January. A)Ban may still be in place. B) Leicester probably won't sell mid season. If the ban is lifted Chelsea should go in with a big offer. They have plenty in the bank after the ban and selling Hazard, Morata, Luiz etc. So will be hard to outbid. They are also proving to be a club for young players and Ben might just like that. No doubt he already knows a lot of the Chelsea players from the England U21 squad.

Last edited:

Bwuk

Would happily ship out Shaw and get Chilwell in and let Williams be his back up.

Alabaster Codify7

Some were saying he's no better than Shaw but then that's typical of our deluded fanbase. We over-rate our players something rotten - hence we palm off players like Mane, Robertson, VVD, Fabinho as being 'not United quality' until theyre winning the CL.

Chilwell will join a big club for £50-60m soon enough. Leicester have got perhaps the best scouting system in the league.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Are those stats including the Southampton game? Personally I discount that game when look at their xG data because it was such a freak result that it skews the data.
They are. And I see your point. Normally I would do the same. Not quite sure how on xGbuildup though (I dont have the spesific data).

But the fact that they include that game should probably favour Maddison. Remember, xGBuildup exclude direct contribution, meaning that Chilwells two assists and one goal in that match is excluded from the data. In other words, there are 6 goals left for him to contribute to in xGBuildup-model. But there was at least one penalty and one free kick. Four left, then. Maddison, on the other side, was only directly involved in one goal that game (I think), his own free kick. Meaning he potential could have been involved in 7 goals in the xGBuildup-model.

If you look at the figure last year, it was close between the two of them. 0,22 for Maddison and 0,20 for Chilwell. But Chilwell looks much more essential this season.

Alfie092

Do we risk losing out on Chilwell and hope that Brandon Williams develops into the player a lot of United fans, including myself, want him to become or do we splash out around £50m on Chilwell?

Andersons Dietician

Some were saying he's no better than Shaw but then that's typical of our deluded fanbase. We over-rate our players something rotten - hence we palm off players like Mane, Robertson, VVD, Fabinho as being 'not United quality' until theyre winning the CL.

Chilwell will join a big club for £50-60m soon enough. Leicester have got perhaps the best scouting system in the league.
Wasn’t Shaw statistically better than him last season?

You say we have deluded fans but if Shaw had made the same blunder as Chillwell did against Burnley I think it was he’d be crucified. Chilwell, brushed under the carpet. It’s the same as the Tierney people saying we need someone who will be fit but over the last year Shaw has made far more appearances than Tierney.

Shaw is a good LB, arguably on his his day better than either Tierney or Chilwell.

Classical Mechanic

They are. And I see your point. Normally I would do the same. Not quite sure how on xGbuildup though (I dont have the spesific data).

But the fact that they include that game should probably favour Maddison. Remember, xGBuildup exclude direct contribution, meaning that Chilwells two assists and one goal in that match is excluded from the data. In other words, there are 6 goals left for him to contribute to in xGBuildup-model. But there was at least one penalty and one free kick. Four left, then. Maddison, on the other side, was only directly involved in one goal that game (I think), his own free kick. Meaning he potential could have been involved in 7 goals in the xGBuildup-model.

If you look at the figure last year, it was close between the two of them. 0,22 for Maddison and 0,20 for Chilwell. But Chilwell looks much more essential this season.
Thanks I think Chilwell's form dipped at the back end of last season but he seems to be getting back to his best and is a very modern full back. His heading ability also helps boost a teams ability to defend set pieces.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He is very good, but this is not where we should be looking to strengthen at the moment.

City will probably buy him for about £90m.

Brightonian

He just has the energy and application and dynamism which Shaw doesn't. In a way, Shaw has the physical and technical tools to be as good as Chilwell, but he doesn't put the work in to make them count.

He would be a luxury, however, when we are far more in need of at least one defensive midfielder and a striker who can put the ball in the net 25 times a season.

Classical Mechanic

He just has the energy and application and dynamism which Shaw doesn't. In a way, Shaw has the physical and technical tools to be as good as Chilwell, but he doesn't put the work in to make them count.
Think Shaw lacks psychologically too, he becomes inhibited. Remember when Jose's spent a whole game audibly encouraging him from the sideline? Chilwell doesn't stop all game, he's all go.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
£50m wouldn't get him. He'll be priced closer to Maguire levels, because why wouldn't they?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He would be a luxury, however, when we are far more in need of at least one defensive midfielder and a striker who can put the ball in the net 25 times a season.
Well, we also need creativity. We struggle against low block teams. Looking at Liverpool more creativity from fullback could be part of the solution.

I like Brandon Williams alot, but I dont think he is ready to be a starter next season. Luke Shaw cant be relied upon due to injuries. It is also worth noting that being a fullback is probably the most demanding job from a physical point of view. We need to rotate heavily if we compete in Europe too. Brandon Williams can play both on the left and on the right.

arthurka

I got laughed at on here last couple of seasons ago when I said we should get him in instead of Shaw.. But hey Shaw was and still is a work in progress, just like Lingard they will probably come good one day.

Would love to have him here, but with Williams coming in like he is doing I think we might have that spot covered.