Ben Chilwell

Zoo

I don't think he's great defensively but is probably the best English LB around right now. He plays like what we expect Shaw to be.

Brophs

The One and Only
Sam Lee said on Second Captains the other day that City had agreed everything to sign him around April but realised they couldn’t find any takers for Mendy and had to back out.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
I think he might actually be Leicester's best player at the moment. City seems the likeliest destination given the money they throw around on defenders but I reckon there's an outside chance of a move to Chelsea.
Would you boys be kind enough to get your heads together and compile a list of players that, “big clubs”, arent going to take from us, just so we know where we stand?

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
He's probably not be interested in leaving Leicester at this point in time. Leicester have got something going on again and he has been there since he was a kid. He's very young and has plenty of time for the big move. Vardy has remained despite enormous attention and Chilwell could easily do the same.

Chelsea need a marauding LB with their style and he fits the bill nicely. Lets see how things pan out.
He is very good, but this is not where we should be looking to strengthen at the moment.

City will probably buy him for about £90m.
I'm not so sure City can spend so freely these days. They are under investigation for a number of misdemeanours at the moment and FFP must catch up with them at some point. I seem to remember they pulled out of the Maguire chase because they wouldn't pay £80m. Besides, surely a solid central defender is more of a priority.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Would you boys be kind enough to get your heads together and compile a list of players that, “big clubs”, arent going to take from us, just so we know where we stand?
That's difficult.
I have a feeling that Leicester would be a little stronger in any future negotiations with Chelsea after selling Kante so cheaply. He's now worth more than double what we paid.

Leicester have got it going on again and he may well stay. At least until the end of the season. I can't see January happening.

Would Leicester knock back a bid £80m?

Nickosaur

He would cost £70m+

I rate him highly and we do need to reinforce LB, but that's too much imo.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
That's difficult.
I have a feeling that Leicester would be a little stronger in any future negotiations with Chelsea after selling Kante so cheaply. He's now worth more than double what we paid.

Leicester have got it going on again and he may well stay. At least until the end of the season. I can't see January happening.

Would Leicester knock back a bid £80m?
I wouldnt. I must admit, that until the Soton game, I would have delivered him in a wheelbarrow for a fraction of that. That game seems to have encouraged him to show some backbone in the last third, taking it on, instead of passing sideways or backwards. Lobg may it continue, because he really isnt all that defensively. Chillwell, until very recently, was considered, somewhat as, “ the kinks new clothes”, at Leicester, and needs to do it consistently for a while before he trully wins us over. 80mill? Yes, I would deffo take it. We have James Justin, who though right footed, has looked good at left back.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Your squad if basically made up of players who joined Leicester from elsewhere.

I wouldn't expect too much loyalty from most of your squad nor a manager who has left three clubs while under contract.

Leonzo1

The competition for him in the summer is going to be very big. City Chelsea and us will surely be in the mix. Can't rule out a Leicester extension either with their current top 4 aim.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I like him, but Williams has the potential to be just as good, if not better.

I'd rather give him a chance to usurp Shaw.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Sam Lee said on Second Captains the other day that City had agreed everything to sign him around April but realised they couldn’t find any takers for Mendy and had to back out.
everything barring the small matter of actually having a transfer bid accepted

CM

Kante, Mahrez, Drinkwater and Maguire.

LVGSdive

£50m wouldn't get him. He'll be priced closer to Maguire levels, because why wouldn't they?
If Leicester get Champions League football for next season the price will go up even more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
He will unfortunately leave for City this summer for something like 60M+

He's not in the same level as the sh** we have

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Spurs should sign him.
Why would a young quality player consider a move to Spurs these days. Looking in from the outside they appear to be a club in turmoil with players running contracts down and stars underperforming. Levy is famous for underpaying players and that coupled with the lack of recruitment doesn't make Spurs a target for young ambitious players. I would think there are only a few clubs that Chilwell would view as an upgrade & even fewer who would put up the kind of cash Leicester will demand.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Man City and Chelsea will certainly be sniffing around in the summer. It would take a monster bid for Leicester to sell him in January.
If clubs want him, they will probably bid in January to unsettle him with the aim of pushing a move in the summer.

Leicester so far have not sold more than one key player per season. We will lose someone in the summer but I think will only be one key player.

arthurka

I am all for giving Williams a chance. But Shaw is finished at this club and we will need another LB.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
ill go against the grain, he's not that great. Good engine, half decent quality, we need to be doing much better if we are going to significantly upgrade on Shaw.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
He's very quick and has great stamina, that's half the battle at full back. Can't say I've seen enough of him to comment on his mentality or defensive game but he's still young so either way they should improve. Also think he's not been particularly injury prone so far? I regard that as a very important trait in a defender - lets the manager decide when to destabilise the back 4, not force them to throw the deputy to the wolves in a big game when they're perhaps not match fit.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I think he is over priced. Looking at the market and Lecisters position, someone would probably need to come a bid of £70m. In my opinion, there are other LB's out there that can be had for a lot less that aren't that dissimilar in level. Telles and Gaya spring to mind.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think he is over priced. Looking at the market and Lecisters position, someone would probably need to come a bid of £70m. In my opinion, there are other LB's out there that can be had for a lot less that aren't that dissimilar in level. Telles and Gaya spring to mind.
Does the term 'overpriced' even apply anymore?

If you want a top-class player in your squad, which Ben Chilwell most certainly is, then you have to be prepared to pay a heavy price. That's just the way of modern-day football.

Kostov

This guy is getting overhyped. He is no better than Shaw, but obviously he is at least fit. Would you pay that amount of money for a fit Luke Shaw? I wouldn’t.

youmeletsfly

This guy is getting overhyped. He is no better than Shaw, but obviously he is at least fit. Would you pay that amount of money for a fit Luke Shaw? I wouldn’t.
Chillwell is a fit Shaw that can cross a ball. Shaw can't cross to save his motherfecking life.

DRM

Disagree, he's in another league compared to Shaw!

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
We tried for him before he moved to Leicester but he wanted guaranteed game time. Superb left back, and can see why we were interested, has all the qualities to be a top left back, would thrive in our system and Chelsea’s.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
We tried for him before he moved to Leicester but he wanted guaranteed game time. Superb left back, and can see why we were interested, has all the qualities to be a top left back, would thrive in our system and Chelsea’s.
He was already at Leicester, when you tried to sign him. he was with our academy.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Hmm I've already seen him do more for Leicester and England than Shaw has ever done for us.

This prompted me to search for a highlight reel of Luke.
I've been a fan of his in the past, and he has a cracking through ball on him (shame we don't see it enough), but some of the stuff that made it in this is hilarious.

Madzik_92

Honestly i thought he's 27 y.o. Didn't know he's 22. We should go for him and sell Shaw. With Williams being backup.

Last edited by a moderator:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Needs to change his hairstyle, I thought I was watching Joey Barton the other day.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Does the term 'overpriced' even apply anymore?

If you want a top-class player in your squad, which Ben Chilwell most certainly is, then you have to be prepared to pay a heavy price. That's just the way of modern-day football.
Well when there are other LB's out their of similar ability that could be had for less i.e. Telles and Gaya, then I would say, yes, overpriced is a term we can still use.

Red00012

If Sam Lee thinks that’s what really happened I want whatever he’s smoking.

Red00012

How about we just sign all of Leicester’s scouts and dump our duds ?

Kostov

Chillwell is a fit Shaw that can cross a ball. Shaw can't cross to save his motherfecking life.
I've seen plenty of Chilwell in the PL, and he is nothing better than Shaw or Lucas Digne for example, who many on here big up as well. Only thing he is better is staying fit, but that is not worth 60-70m imo. I'd rather we invest game time in Brandon Williams rather than throwing that amount of money on motherfecking Ben Chilwell.

Disagree, he's in another league compared to Shaw!
He ain't. He's also playing in a much better team in the league at the moment, under a better manager.

Hmm I've already seen him do more for Leicester and England than Shaw has ever done for us.

This prompted me to search for a highlight reel of Luke.
I've been a fan of his in the past, and he has a cracking through ball on him (shame we don't see it enough), but some of the stuff that made it in this is hilarious.

By all accounts Luke Shaw is done here, really. "Small" injuries like this one at the moment as much as the leg break killed it for him and I think unless he does something extraordinary till the rest of the season, he should be a goner. Replacing him with Ben Chilwell for 60-70m I don't think should be our priority however.

francobaresi

Chilwell is vastly superior to Luke Shaw, only blinkered United fans could dispute this.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I suspect Shaw will end up playing as a LCB, perhaps in a 3 long term.

Whether Chilwell is the solution to our LB woes or not is a different matter. I do like him though

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Telles and Gaya are only comparable on FIFA. Both are seriously limited defensively and would be found out in an instant in more physical leagues.