Ben Pearson

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
shame we play on the same day, would love to see him against Everton.....

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
Haven't been on the caf for a few days so don't know if there's a thread, but are he and Rothwell going to play against Everton tonight? Are either of them injured? Have they been in the starting line-up much?
Pearson starting tonight, Rothwell on the bench.

FromTheBench

Not watching but Doing well and outplaying Cleverley atleast as per Twitter.

Barnsley leading 2-0.

khoazany

Only watched the second half (in which Everton totally dominated) and extra time.Rothwell had some bright moments.Pearson was shifted to right back since Rothwell came on and was good going forward (defensively looks like someone who never played full back though, which he is).

m1y2

they are doing it wrong, everybody knows that Pearson is better wit Rothwell and vica versa, would have win the game..

FromTheBench

Didn't watch the first half but he was bypassed in the 2nd half most of the time. Play was going direct from both sides and deeper from wide.]

After Rothwell came on he shifted to RB and then RWB. Did well there, keeping the ball well in tight spaces and also going up and down remarkably till the 120th minute. (Ran the whole pitch to make a clearance at 5-3 almost in the 119th minute)

Brightonian

Decent showing, nothing special. Barnsley as a whole were a very tidy little unit, and he was a part of that but not the standout player. Improved when Rothwell was on (despite being out of position from then on) and noticeably stepped it up to start running things at the very, very end when it all got a bit desperate, which I thought was interesting. His composure in possession is very obvious - he made a few half-errors in his off-the-ball positioning, but was flawless when the ball did come his way, and worked it out of tight spots with a cool head a couple of times.

Got through an insane amount of work, though. Amazing how much taller he is now. It's definitely changed things about his game - he covers ground with less effort, for one, which surely contributed to the fact that he seemed to have plenty left in the tank after 120 minutes of non-stop running, which is impressive as hell. It's given him some real pace to work with too, whereas he used to be slow-ish. But he doesn't quite seem to stick to opponents the way he did when he was a stocky little guy. And it seems like some of the snap has gone out of his tackles, although I haven't watched him much for Barnsley so maybe that was just him being careful not to get carded tonight.

Sid234

Was going through Barnsley forums to see how Pearson's doing. Manager likes him a lot and seems to be a guaranteed starter for them and they want to sign him permanently come January.

The fans on the other hand aren't very impressed with him this season, they think he's a sideways passer and offers nothing going forward. Few were defending him, praising his desire to want the ball even in tight situations and his ability to retain possession. But the general consensus is that he's doesn't have much else to his game other than his engine and how tidy he in possession.

Does anyone think Pearson has the talent to play in the United 1st team?

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Who knows if he'll make it, I think he is really talented but I would have hoped for him to be playing in the Championship by now but then again Coquelin was 23 and putting in average performances in the Championship and now bossing the Premier League.

He seems to have completely changed his game since the new manager came in and plays a very reserved deeper role whereas when he first went he had the freedom to be more expressive. He seems to split opinions on their forum with some calling him average and others calling him great and MotM in matches where the others say he was poor. There are a large chunk of posters on there who are completely against loan players so honestly I would take their opinions with a pinch of salt. I've seen some bad mouth Ben since he joined last year (along with all their other loan players) and even after matches where he has been given MotM. They are also as bad as here for just bitching about everything, except Scowen, Scowen is God's gift to the Earth.

Apparently Ben said in an interview that he doesn't want to come back and play in the reserves in January and wants to stay at Barnsley whether on loan or permanent. Personally I'd send him to the Championship in January and recall Rothwell right now.

LS17

Wouldn't read too much in to it. Barnsley fans expect every single pass to go forward, seems to be doing fine from what I hear.

limerickcitykid

Also the fact the manager seems to rate him so highly is probably more indicative of how he is doing. I also read a quote from the manager on Hourihane showing a grittier side to his game and if he keeps it up he'll be able to play in a midfield four alongside Pearson in the middle. Meaning Pearson has got his spot securely locked down, ahead of Scowen who would be likely shifted wide. Of course the fans weren't happy to hear that.

limerickcitykid

:lol: So he got a yellow for complaining to the ref the other day for an apparent clear foul which wasn't given and is now suspended for the weekends game. The usuals are going mental on their forum. The non-moaners reckon he was the best of a bad bunch. Also had two other really good performances lately. Hope he goes to a different club in January.

Brightonian

Even if it was unfair it'll probably be good for him. He does whinge and moan too much. For the ressies it was funny and endearing, but for the seniors it would quickly become an irritating liability. A player like him is always going to be on the ref's radar as it is, he doesn't want to compound that by continually bitching and losing his temper.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Even if it was unfair it'll probably be good for him. He does whinge and moan too much. For the ressies it was funny and endearing, but for the seniors it would quickly become an irritating liability. A player like him is always going to be on the ref's radar as it is, he doesn't want to compound that by continually bitching and losing his temper.
to be fair to him im shocked and surprised that he didnt receive a red card so far in his senior career. His style is old school, proper football and that doesnt fit in the modern pussy game where every contact is a foul and a bookable offence. Its sad and funny that only kids play proper football this days as the refs allow much more contact compared to senior level.

LS17

Supposedly Barnsley hoping to strike a deal; which I would assume means a permanent one, for Pearson.

Devil may care

If he's sold without ever playing a senior game for United some on the Caf are gonna go apeshit.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If he's sold without ever playing a senior game for United some on the Caf are gonna go apeshit.
It will be a shame obviously but the new management have had 18 months and 2 pre seasons to have a look at him and he (along with Joe Rothwell) hasn't had a sniff, this is with a manager who has proven he will give young players a chance.

I look back to when the peak of hype surrounding them was, you can probably pin point it at around 2012/13 when we were sorely lacking in options in the middle of the park. Now we have some good options in there and hype and clamour for him and Joe has since subsided.

Alternatively we could just be waiting a while longer with him and the plan might be to bring him on next years tour.

khoazany

Same as they did when Tom Thorpe moved on. He's currently struggling to get games at Rotherham United. Over-rating youth products is a specialty for some on the caf.
I don't think you really understand the situation with Tom Thorpe but it's the same for fans of every other clubs.This is the club where people love to have one of our own in the first team.I would be more worried if fans suddenly don't give a feck if the youngsters are given a chance or not.

About Ben I've said in the summer after he wasn't included in the tour that the ship has sailed for him (and Rothwell) and it would be more beneficial for them to move on permanently.It's quite clear which youngsters the current manager prefers and not really prefer.I would say the manager even prefer James Weir over Pearson looking at how many times they have trained with the first team.Unless there's a managerial change soon it looks like Goss is the only U21s player from that crop that we can hope for any sort of chance (Wilson and Pereira are from the same crop but I consider them as first teamers already).

Last edited:

dead joe

It will be a shame obviously but the new management have had 18 months and 2 pre seasons to have a look at him and he (along with Joe Rothwell) hasn't had a sniff, this is with a manager who has proven he will give young players a chance.

I look back to when the peak of hype surrounding them was, you can probably pin point it at around 2012/13 when we were sorely lacking in options in the middle of the park. Now we have some good options in there and hype and clamour for him and Joe has since subsided.

Alternatively we could just be waiting a while longer with him and the plan might be to bring him on next years tour.
Yeah, good points.

Nah feck that, I'll go apeshit anyway.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I don't think people get the youth. Our youth system is quite capable of bringing through kids. However, we are not looking to make a profit off them in the long run and likewise we can just buy. When you judge a kid, you have to factor in things that we won't even be privy too. The coaches there (at least one) didn't think G Neville would make it and there is that story of Robson asking Sir Alex about Scholes....

So yes we've a good youth team. Not as good as it was. But the club churn out and buy so many players, of course it's difficult. And a youth player can go to an environment and simply not enjoy it for whatever reason. There's a ton of luck involved. If we still had Sir Alex - what would our team be? If we still had Moyes - would would the team be etc? The fact is, under different managers the futures of certain and various players might and would be different.

Ben is a good young player but no one follows him around 24/7. We are on the outside looking in. LVG don't seem to know he exists, but maybe Giggs does? Who knows..

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't think you really understand the situation with Tom Thorpe but it's the same for fans of every other clubs.This is the club where people love to have one of our own in the first team.I would be more worried if fans suddenly don't give a feck if the youngsters are given a chance or not.

About Ben I've said in the summer after he wasn't included in the tour that the ship has sailed for him (and Rothwell) and it would be more beneficial for them to move on permanently.It's quite clear which youngsters the current manager prefers and not really prefer.I would say the manager even prefer James Weir over Pearson looking at how many times they have trained with the first team.Unless there's a managerial change soon it looks like Goss is the only U21s player from that crop that we can hope for any sort of chance (Wilson and Pereira are from the same crop but I consider them as first teamers already).
I understand the situation very well actually. I've watched our reserves for years and nothing makes me happier than seeing one of our academy graduates get into the first team.

Where I differ from some people is that I have faith in our youth/reserve coaching staff when it comes to seperating the wheat from the chaff. Time and time again you see people stating with certainty that player x, y, z should be fast-tracked into the first team - followed by toys being chucked out of prams when they're eventually sold to a lower league team.

Given that it's impossible to get every decision right about the potential of young players the track record of these coaches is pretty flawless. Ryan Shawcross is, at a stretch, the one and only example of someone we let go who might have been a useful player to hang on to (Pogba doesn't count, for obvious reasons). And even that is a stretch. Maybe two, if we include that German keeper (Zeile?) This is despite literally dozens of players being let go who had assorted champions on refcafe, convinced they were future United first-teamers.

You can bang on about the manager "liking" certain players all you want but you can be certain every decision he makes is heavily influenced by these same coaches. So if Ben Pearson (or anyone else) gets shipped out at any point in the future, I'm happy enough that this is the correct decision. No matter how much wailing and gnashing of teeth it provokes on here.

LR7

Bit of a mixed review here. Described as being the "best of a bad bunch" this season as Barnsley have struggled, and often being impressive, but was to blame for the winning goal in this game as they exited the FA cup to Altrincham.

I haven't seen much of him this season admittedly but he's one of my favourites and I would be gutted if he wasn't given a chance here at all.

Brightonian

By all accounts this loan started well but has gone off the boil a bit. It's only his first spell though, so it's pretty much a valuable learning experience whatever happens, provided he has the right attitude, which he would have to in order to have any make it as a senior PL footballer anyway.

That said, 'best of a bad bunch' and 'so impressive so often despite recent tribulations' aren't bad comments. Sounds like he's doing an ok job at a struggling team.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
By all accounts this loan started well but has gone off the boil a bit. It's only his first spell though, so it's pretty much a valuable learning experience whatever happens, provided he has the right attitude, which he would have to in order to have any make it as a senior PL footballer anyway.
Second spell at Barnsley int it ?

limerickcitykid

I wouldn't be surprised tbh, if he has a PL club that are promising some game time then it is probably the best move for him. I'd prefer it if we loaned him out to the Championship in January and then brought him on tour in the summer to see how he does but I don't expect that to happen.

limerickcitykid

Why not just loan him to said premier league club?
PL clubs rarely loan in youngsters and give them playing time. If they are going to risk playing young players they want them to be their own so they get the full benefit. They already have Arter, Surman, O'Kane, and Gosling so he'd only be a squad option. There is no point going on loan to be a squad option.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Just goes to show it's impossible to predict anything when it comes to our youth. Had him nailed on to be given chances with the first team.

IF this turns out to be true, then it's a shock.

Verminator

PL clubs rarely loan in youngsters and give them playing time. If they are going to risk playing young players they want them to be their own so they get the full benefit. They already have Arter, Surman, O'Kane, and Gosling so he'd only be a squad option. There is no point going on loan to be a squad option.
Then why go there full time, to be a squad option?

limerickcitykid

Then why go there full time, to be a squad option?
They are more likely to give you that extra playing time and give you the chance to break into the first team for next season. They'll put up with his mistakes and his silly anger issues because he has the potential to be a starter for them. Most players would much rather play for a permanent club who has a plan for them than some loan club. On loan they are just getting an inexperienced kid who is going to make mistakes and then leave at the end of the season, no PL club needs that.

limerickcitykid

Just goes to show it's impossible to predict anything when it comes to our youth. Had him nailed on to be given chances with the first team.

IF this turns out to be true, then it's a shock.
van Gaal kind of skipped over Pearson's and the older age group in favour of the younger group, probably saw them as easier to mould. Pearson is a bit all over the place too which van Gaal doesn't seem to like. We even see Schneiderlin playing completely different to the way he usually covered ground for Southampton. I think Pearson can play a more reserved role anyway but van Gaal seems to prefer Goss. I'd love to see him given the chance as he offers the change in pace and fieriness in the midfield that we so often lack and is good at keeping possession too. Sadly, I just don't see it happening. Who really knows though seen as we don't even know what is going on with the managerial position.