Ben Pearson

Brightonian

Moyes is going to love this lad when he comes through. Technical but tough, grit and guile, (and various other alliterative pairs). A good solid season with the U21s, a bit more physical development, and maybe next year he'll be on the pre-season tour too. Who needs to buy a Carrick replacement when we're brewing up our own.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
In case, we'll never sign a midfielder, it's awesome to have player with bit of Carrick's presence.

There's no way Moyes won't recognize him as a bright future of this club. In fact, Pearson would also fit into Everton style without a smallest problem as he's forming into perfect Premier League player.

jb8521

Looking forward to seeing this lad in the flesh next Thursday

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
So it has come to this? Pinning our hope on a 18 year old with lovely, curly hair while softly whispering "midfield" into his ears?

jb8521

Same, another reason I was so disappointed that Daelhi left is that I was really looking forward to see him play in person.
You going to the Waterford game? I went to the game against Longford last year and Daehli and Januzaj were on a different level to everyone else on the pitch, really enjoyed it

Heffo

You going to the Waterford game? I went to the game against Longford last year and Daehli and Januzaj were on a different level to everyone else on the pitch, really enjoyed it

Yep, looking forward to it. Would love to have seen either of them playing. I'm hoping Perreira will play a part and maybe Will Keane will make his comeback from injury. Other than that I'm hoping Bebe will be involved, he should be great at that level and it'd be good craic to cheer him on.

Sally Cinnamon

Pearson scored 2 goals today for England u19s. It was only against Andorra like but still..

PS18

Excellent in both games so far, apparently (one only against Andorra, obvs).

Brightonian

Nice. As good as he's been the last couple of years, he generally plays too deep to be a goalscorer. It's nice to see that players have a variety of skills in their locker even if they don't always get to exercise them.

Off topic: I always go to the start of threads by accident, and this still gets me every time, especially because it's still as true as it was a year ago:

He looks like an extra from a Harry Potter film.
He really does.

LR7

BEN PEARSON SAYS SEPTEMBER'S ROUT IN TALLINN HELPED ENGLAND OVERCOME ANDORRA

England 7-0 Andorra
UEFA European U19 Championship Qualifier
2pm, Saturday 12 October 2013
Mestni Stadion, Ptuj, Slovenia
By Jamie Reid in Ptuj

Ben Pearson says the experience gained from the Young Lions’ recent game against Estonia proved a useful warm-up for Saturday’s encounter with Andorra.

The England U19s midfielder scored a quick-fire brace in the 7-0 victory over the Group 9 minnows, and has impressed in both Euro 2014 qualifying outings so far.

But Pearson, who plays his club football for Manchester United, said that games against the likes of Andorra are not always as easy as they may appear, and that getting the first goal can take time.

He said: “We knew it was going to be tough to break through and we knew they were going to put ten men behind the ball from the off.

"But we were patient and we just kept going and the goals came in the end and we got a deserved victory.

“We had a game about two months ago against Estonia that was exactly the same really, so we’ve had an experience like that before which was good.”

Despite riding their luck at times, Andorra kept England out for almost a quarter of the game – until Mason Bennett’s opener on 18 minutes.

After that the goals flowed and Pearson insisted it was simply a matter of staying focused and biding their time – although with the seventh goal coming on 78 minutes, he felt there was still time for more.

“We always knew we were going to get there eventually – to be honest though, in the last ten minutes we needed more goals, we weren’t really happy with seven - we wanted eight, nine, ten.

“But obviously what happened happened and 7-0 is still a good result.”

Pearson’s two goals came in the final five minutes of the first half, and after his first, Head Coach Noel Blake could be heard urging his side to get one more before the break.

“Yeah I heard him,” said Pearson with a wry smile. “Once he shouted to get forward and get one more before the break I pushed up and I was able to get another before half-time. We just wanted to get as many as we could really.”

The Oldham-born starlet also joked that after goals with his right and left feet, he could have had the perfect hat-trick.

“I’m really pleased with the two goals - just needed a header and that would have finished it off nicely,” he added.

Attention now turns to the final group game against Switzerland on Tuesday – with England knowing that if they avoid defeat they will progress to the Elite Round in the spring of 2014 - but Pearson warned the Young Lions could take nothing for granted.

Pearson predicted: “It’s going to be tough, obviously. I know a few of the players already – they’re good players. One of them plays at my club.

“We just have to stick to the game plan really, we’ve got a good team.

“If we all work hard and play as we can do we should be fine. Obviously games like today help to give us confidence.”
Read more at http://www.thefa.com/england/mens-u...ifier-andorra-ben-pearson#T7BVFZVrL9xFH5CA.99

Would love nothing more than for Pearson to have a Januzaj like rise into the first team. He's such a well rounded player.

Brightonian

Would love nothing more than for Pearson to have a Januzaj like rise into the first team. He's such a well rounded player.
And so what we need right now, too. It's a shame he's not two years older. Although I suppose by the time he is ready we still probably won't have bought that top midfielder and we'll have to be thinking about Carrick's replacement too, so he'll probably be even more perfect then.

LR7

And so what we need right now, too. It's a shame he's not two years older. Although I suppose by the time he is ready we still probably won't have bought that top midfielder and we'll have to be thinking about Carrick's replacement too, so he'll probably be even more perfect then.
I was thinking the same last season. If only he was ready for the first team already. He's a perfect blend of what is missing from our midfield. When he got promoted to the U21s Januzaj picked up where he left if for the U18s and I hope Pearson continues in the same vein this season.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
As much as I rate him and see a future for him. I think it's a little early to be pinning hopes on him that he can replace Carrick.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Nice. As good as he's been the last couple of years, he generally plays too deep to be a goalscorer. It's nice to see that players have a variety of skills in their locker even if they don't always get to exercise them.

Off topic: I always go to the start of threads by accident, and this still gets me every time, especially because it's still as true as it was a year ago:

He really does.

But breaks forward with such intent that it can't be ruled out. Drives and has such good feet a la against Leverkusen

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Yeah, he's technically quite good as well for someone of his type of player.

Revan

Assumptionman
The guy is really talented (easily better than when Cleverley was on his age) and I would really love to see him make it here. If he and Perreira emulates Januzaj, we really would be happy. The talent is definitely there.

The Neviller

The guy is really talented (easily better than when Cleverley was on his age) and I would really love to see him make it here. If he and Perreira emulates Januzaj, we really would be happy. The talent is definitely there.
Did you see much of Cleverley when he was the age Pearson is now?

mufcwarm92

I'd love to hear from someone who has watched him on a very regular basis and could weigh up the likeliness he would make it - I know there are a couple who post on here with very close links to the academy.

It's notoriously hard to judge central midfielders in the academy and in the 4 or 5 games I've seen him play I've struggled to see the special talent I've heard people rave about. He looks a tidy short passer, works hard and loves a tackle, but he's never stood out when I've seen him. I'd like nothing more than a young Manc to come through and slot right into our midfield but I don't want to pin my hopes on him quite yet.

Revan

Assumptionman
So how can you be certain he is "easily better than when Cleverley was on his age"?
The same way I think that Januzaj is 'easily better than when Welbeck was at his age'.

I haven't seen all of their games but from what I have seen, I think that it was impossible to not see how good Pearson is. Of course I am not saying that he'll have a better career than Cleverley, but I think that his potential is way higher.

The Neviller

The same way I think that Januzaj is 'easily better than when Welbeck was at his age'.

I haven't seen all of their games but from what I have seen, I think that it was impossible to not see how good Pearson is. Of course I am not saying that he'll have a better career than Cleverley, but I think that his potential is way higher.
But you've admitted to seeing "not much" of Cleverley at that age, so I don't see how you can make that judgement.

I don't see how you make the same judgement on Welbeck/Januzaj either. Welbeck was hugely promising at the same age as Januzaj, scoring hat tricks in youth team derby fixtures against City, and is now a very good first team squad player and a senior international.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
I'd love to hear from someone who has watched him on a very regular basis and could weigh up the likeliness he would make it - I know there are a couple who post on here with very close links to the academy.

It's notoriously hard to judge central midfielders in the academy and in the 4 or 5 games I've seen him play I've struggled to see the special talent I've heard people rave about. He looks a tidy short passer, works hard and loves a tackle, but he's never stood out when I've seen him. I'd like nothing more than a young Manc to come through and slot right into our midfield but I don't want to pin my hopes on him quite yet.
I've been watching him on mutv for over a year and I really like him. I think he's the type of player we could do with in our team if he was to be ready that is. We'll have to see how he continues to progress, but I'd say he has a chance of making it with us, not something I thought with Tunniclife.

But as you know, there's no guarantees with youngsters. We just have to hope, but I really like him.

sajeev

Welbeck was certain to make it from the time he was 16 (in my opinion).

I think Pearson is the next one, I am really sure will make it. As I have said in some other thread, he could be our Keane/Scholes/Carrick in one player.

Ekeke

Well thats an understatement. Cleverley was close to being released and played at fullback until well into his reserves career, with others chosen well ahead of him as a CM

Revan

Assumptionman
Welbeck was certain to make it from the time he was 16 (in my opinion).

I think Pearson is the next one, I am really sure will make it. As I have said in some other thread, he could be our Keane/Scholes/Carrick in one player.
Welbeck looked good of course, and pretty certain that he'll make here, but I don't think that he ever looked as good as Januzaj (who can actually reach Ozil's level).

In Pearson's case, he looks very good in his natural position. I don't remember anytime thinking that Cleverley will make it here. Of course this doesn't mean that Pearson will certainly make here, cause in many cases things doesn't go good (like in Macheda or Petrucci case), but I think that Pearson is very talented and has every chance to make here and actually become quite a good player for us.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
But you've admitted to seeing "not much" of Cleverley at that age, so I don't see how you can make that judgement.

I don't see how you make the same judgement on Welbeck/Januzaj either. Welbeck was hugely promising at the same age as Januzaj, scoring hat tricks in youth team derby fixtures against City, and is now a very good first team squad player and a senior international.
I'm with you on this one. Some people always seem to think the next one is better than the current one, it's youth football's equivalent of the grass is always greener. Cleverley was younger than Pearson is now when he was moved to central midfield and really started turning heads for the reserves. I very much rate Pearson but he's nowhere near physically ready to play centrally for the first team. We'll have to see how he does for the u21s this season and take it from there. I think he's got a great chance of eventually making it but given his size we might be looking at a long term(ish) project.