Ben White | Arsenal

Red_toad

The reason I want him is because I feel like he is the youngster that should be learning and eventually replacing Maguire, not really the one to be playing next to him.

However it doesn’t seem the right time and right price for him.
So you're advocating the purchase of a 23 year old to learn and replace a 28 year old who'll have another 5 years in the team?

Matt851

Agree he is possibly too slow to partner maguire but do think he would be an upgrade on maguire. Some people on here seem to have deemed him not good enough based on two performances when both leeds and brighton fans rate him very highly. The fact that most of the big clubs in the league have demonstrated some level of interest also demonstrates his potential

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Agree he is possibly too slow to partner maguire but do think he would be an upgrade on maguire. Some people on here seem to have deemed him not good enough based on two performances when both leeds and brighton fans rate him very highly. The fact that most of the big clubs in the league have demonstrated some level of interest also demonstrates his potential
Brighton fans broadly thought he was their third best CB this season, behind both Dunk and Webster. If you think he would be an upgrade on Maguire as is then I'm very glad you have nothing to do with our transfer policy.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So you're advocating the purchase of a 23 year old to learn and replace a 28 year old who'll have another 5 years in the team?
When did I say advocate this transfer? I said it’s the wrong time and the wrong fee for him.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@Red_toad

I think he is the guy who should be taking over Maguire when he reaches his ending age; however Maguire is nowhere near that now. Its why i like the sound of him being our 3rd or 4th CB (instead of Tuenzebe and Bailly) added to the fact he has the ability to play CDM for us aswell.

However its more important this window to find the partnership for Maguire - ie varane or Pau torres etc

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
A £40m bid being rejected for White is crazy from all parties... he's promising yeah but a post covid market, that price for a youngish CB who isn't proven to be some Van Dijk level talent... what.

No value shopping in the prem.

Crimson King

@Red_toad

I think he is the guy who should be taking over Maguire when he reaches his ending age; however Maguire is nowhere near that now. Its why i like the sound of him being our 3rd or 4th CB (instead of Tuenzebe and Bailly) added to the fact he has the ability to play CDM for us aswell.
It would be nice to spend £50m+ on a 4th choice CB, but only City do that...

White's a good player, but I saw a lot of him for Brighton last season and he really didn't stand out at all. Dunk is by far their best defender, it's not even close.

However, he's obviously got potential and his season at Leeds shouldn't be overlooked. I consider him a gamble though, not a sure thing, which you'd want for that money. And I don't think they're wrong to ask for it, given what Ake went for, and White's got the English tax.

We need to sign someone to instantly step in ahead of Lindelof, and White isn't that player imo.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just read someone saying he's an upgrade on Maguire.

We don't half have some mad posters on here.

Dan_F

Do Arsenal even play with a back three? Hasn’t Ben White pretty much always played in a three? Either way it’s a mental price. I’d hate to know what they’d try and get out of us if we were interested.

Nickosaur

A £40m bid being rejected for White is crazy from all parties... he's promising yeah but a post covid market, that price for a youngish CB who isn't proven to be some Van Dijk level talent... what.

How is it crazy from Brighton exactly?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Do Arsenal even play with a back three? Hasn’t Ben White pretty much always played in a three? Either way it’s a mental price. I’d hate to know what they’d try and get out of us if we were interested.
White played in a back four for Leeds when on loan and probably has played in a back four almost all his life, like most CBs. I don't think that is a big concern.

I agree the price is kind of mental though, at least for the post-Covid market. English tax plus Premier League experience tax.

Matt851

Brighton fans broadly thought he was their third best CB this season, behind both Dunk and Webster. If you think he would be an upgrade on Maguire as is then I'm very glad you have nothing to do with our transfer policy.
Where did i say he would be an upgrade on maguire? Who is proposing to replace maguire.

Maybe read messages before you respond to them!

Whoever buys him a clearly buying a good player but its the clearly the high ceiling that is attracting many clubs

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Where did i say he would be an upgrade on maguire? Who is proposing to replace maguire.

Whoever buys him a clearly buying a good player but its the clearly the high ceiling that is attracting many clubs

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

In your previous post, you said he would be an upgrade on Maguire. Literally.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Is there any evidence that teams are willing to accept less money for their players in a post covid world? I understand the economic theory behind it, but then there’s always the anchoring effect as the contradictory theory…is there anything that goes beyond theory yet?

bosnian_red

Is there any evidence that teams are willing to accept less money for their players in a post covid world? I understand the economic theory behind it, but then there’s always the anchoring effect as the contradictory theory…is there anything that goes beyond theory yet?
Not sure, but outside of England teams definitely haven't spent much at all. Every team seems to be in crisis. Surely it would have brought it down a bit... and White anyway surely isn't a £50m player just yet?

jesperjaap

I think the main factor here is....he would cost £50m. How many centre backs we have linked with in any capacity would cost considerably more at all....maybe Kounde and Fofana. Then ask yourself how many centre backs would cost a lot less Romagnoli, Romero for sure and then pretty much any other centre back includin gVarane would be a simialr price.

This is an example of why we shouldnt be lookin in the premiership for players. I think WHite is a decent ball playing centre back that is as of yet unproven and had a decent though not spectacular season. There is absolutely no way he is as of yet at least in the same bracket as any of the other centre backs at a similar price or less.....and I dont actually rate half of them.

-Supreme-

Why don't Arsenal give that French kid a chance when bought him for £27m 2 years ago? Instead they sent him on loan for two seasons in a row...

OverratedOpinion

Very harsh to the lad but I watched him quite a lot last season as I lived near Brighton a few years ago and always went to the ground so watched them frequently, I think this will be an absolutely terrible signing and would still thing so if the fee was less than half of that.

Deery

Dreary
Very harsh to the lad but I watched him quite a lot last season as I lived near Brighton a few years ago and always went to the ground so watched them frequently, I think this will be an absolutely terrible signing and would still thing so if the fee was less than half of that.
I’d agree with you Dunk is the far more superior defender..

bosnian_red

Sure he has potential but it's a crazy amount of money for someone so unproven.

Bwuk

He’s a good player but that’s a lot of £££.

we are paying similar for Varane.