Ben White | Arsenal

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The most puce in the face footballer I've seen in a while.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Any regular watchers? Hows he ?
Definitely wouldn't be against us going for him, looks a good player, although admittedly most of the Brighton team looks good under Potter.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Doesn’t currently really offer any upgrade on what we have. But potential to be better than lindelof.
He's technically better than Lindelof and his foraging runs into midfield are quite rare for a centre back. He's not the tallest, but seems more aggressive than Lindelof too. Don't know about his positioning though, haven't seen too much of him.

I just wonder about the price.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
In the bits I've seen of him it looks like he still has plenty to learn at Brighton's level, let alone making the step up to ours.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not the answer. Isn't better than Lindelof and is practically the same type of player.

When they play 2 at the back he's moved to CDM which tells you everything, Dunk is a better defender.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not the answer. Isn't better than Lindelof and is practically the same type of player.

When they play 2 at the back he's moved to CDM which tells you everything, Dunk is a better defender.
Wonder if that's where he'll end up playing in future.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally think he will be signed to be our CDM rather than CB.

He has the basic ball playing ability for a CDM that should improve with time.

Feel like he may be targeted as an alternative to Rice as CDM.

Nickosaur

After the 'Free Ben White' bollocks from Leeds fans over the summer, he decided to stay at Brighton and has had overall a very solid, if not spectacular first proper season at the club. Didn't look the strongest initially and you can tell he's not the finished product but not at all bad considering it's his first season in the PL. And he's improved more as the season has gone on.

He typically plays on the right of the three centre backs (White, Dunk, Webster) in Brighton's system, and is given plenty of license to be expressive on the ball. His passing is good - both short and long - and he occasionaly goes dribbling higher up the pitch to good effect. Dunk and Webster seem more dominant in the air than him, but that's typically because the Brighton RWB (Lamptey or Veltman) tends to push higher up and Ben will drift away from the centre to provide another option to midfield. So doesn't have to deal with the ball aerially as much as Dunk or Webster. I also haven't seen him play as part of a CB pairing very often for Brighton but he obviously did it well enough for Leeds in the Championship last season.

His technical ability means Potter has also played him in midfield a few times this season - and one of his best performances of the season came here in the away win to Leeds (get fecked Leeds). He showed strength, pace and covered a lot of ground, even making a few lungbusting runs forward.

I'm a big fan but think it would be best for his development to stay at the amex for one more season.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Weird timing for this to come out considering who we play at the weekend :smirk:

redrobed

Not seen him play before but if we could get him for 30-40m I’d be happy with that. Could be a pretty shrewd move.

saivet

I think he's decent player and if he's just a replacement for Bailly and doesn't cost too much I wouldn't be against it. I believe he signed a new contract in the summer though?

I don't think he's better than Lindelof and even if he is, there's not enough in it where it's worth buying him to start in our team.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
As far as I'm concerned his career ended in September 2020.

I thought similarly about Van Dijk when Martial dropped him on his arse to score against Southampton in his first ever start for us.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The type of centre back you’d sign if you have a bigger name better one also coming in. Like City did Ake, they then brought in Dias.

If this is a back-up player, great, he’s a good player. If this is to start, hell no. He’d be a sideways move from Lindelof.

If we have aspirations to win titles we shouldn’t be bringing in an uncapped Brighton player to walk into our starting eleven. He’s being kept out of the England squad by the likes of Coady, Mings & Dier.

Varane is reportedly available for around 50m. Given the “English/PL/United tax” I’d expect White to go for about the same. If we bring in White without even trying to get Varane it’s sackable from Woodward, Murtaugh & Fletcher.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not seen him play before but if we could get him for 30-40m I’d be happy with that. Could be a pretty shrewd move.
:lol: How can it be shrewd if you've never seen him play before?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The type of centre back you’d sign if you have a bigger name better one also coming in. Like City did Ake, they then brought in Dias.

If this is a back-up player, great, he’s a good player. If this is to start, hell no. He’d be a sideways move from Lindelof.

If we have aspirations to win titles we shouldn’t be bringing in an uncapped Brighton player to walk into our starting eleven. He’s being kept out of the England squad by the likes of Coady, Mings & Dier.
This means nothing. Southgate actively chose to have about 7 full backs in the sqaud.

redrobed

I’ve heard good things about him and at that price you can’t go wrong.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Sort of reminds me a bit of a young Phil Jones. Which isn't a bad thing because Phil Jones had incredibly high potential. Wouldn't be oppossed to us making a move for White at all.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

This means nothing. Southgate actively chose to have about 7 full backs in the sqaud.
He’s still not in the squad, while extremely average centre backs are. Not a good look for him. It’s not a VVD situation where he’s at a midtable club but undisputed first choice for his country with potential suitors in every direction. White has never been called up for England, despite playing in a position they are very weak in, and no other big clubs are looking at him.

Judas

Open to offers
I'd take him if it meant more money to spend on higher quality players in other important areas. But I do think we should be looking at better than him, even though I do think he's got potential.

James35

We must be going for better than him unless they will accept Jones as part of a cheap deal. They'll ask stupid money though just like Leicester and Palace did.

It smells like a transfer we'd do mind, pay him ridiculous wages also if it happened.

GueRed

if he is better than Lindelof and Bailly and has a high potential to be even better? get him

Zoo

I’d see White as more of a replacement for Tuanzebe who I have serious doubts about. That would give us Maguire, Lindelof, Bailey (injury prone) and White as our main CB options which should be okay.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He’s still not in the squad, while extremely average centre backs are. Not a good look for him. It’s not a VVD situation where he’s at a midtable club but undisputed first choice for his country with potential suitors in every direction. White has never been called up for England, despite playing in a position they are very weak in, and no other big clubs are looking at him.
That's if you value Southgate's opinion on this matter. Which quite frankly, I do not, when he still refuses to call up Smalling.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
You really can’t take Southgates selection for anything. He still picks Chillwell over Shaw is madness.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
They're not "very weak". We have a whole raft of decent centre backs but none that are really top class. Off the top of my head you could pick from:

Maguire
Smalling
Stones
Coady
Mings
Konsa
Dier
Dunk
White
Tarkowski
Keane
Dawson

None of them are bad players, it's just none are really world class either so it's inevitably a bit of a lottery who gets the nod.

Walters_19_MuFc

Sort of reminds me a bit of a young Phil Jones. Which isn't a bad thing because Phil Jones had incredibly high potential. Wouldn't be oppossed to us making a move for White at all.
Honestly?

Would say they're the polar opposite.

Jones was, and still very much is an aggressive, front foot, all or nothing type of defender, whereas White is calm, elegant and good on the ball.

I'd actually say White is more similar to John Stones than Phil Jones.

I wouldn't be against it, as I feel he wouldn't be an automatic starter, meaning have time to slowly progress.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

They're not "very weak". We have a whole raft of decent centre backs but none that are really top class. Off the top of my head you could pick from:

Maguire
Smalling
Stones
Coady
Mings
Konsa
Dier
Dunk
White
Tarkowski
Keane
Dawson

None of them are bad players, it's just none are really world class either so it's inevitably a bit of a lottery who gets the nod.
The only ones you could call top 6 level are Maguire, Stones & potentially Smalling.

Ive been impressed with Konsa. Interested to see how he develops.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The only ones you could call top 6 level are Maguire, Stones & potentially Smalling.

Ive been impressed with Konsa. Interested to see how he develops.
Tarkowski and Mings are very good players. Smalling I haven't seen lately but I can't imagine he's fallen off a cliff and he was always good so...

Machine Elements

This post (the bold part in particular) and our interest in him must be bad April fools' day jokes.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
These are very strange/weak ways to judge a player. I think even by using FM stats is better than these, as the later is actually a scout watching him play.