Benjamin Mendy charged with eight counts of rape against five women | Released on Bail

Status
Not open for further replies.

beer&grill

What a braindead individual. I hope we won’t see him on the grass ever again.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I read on the bbc page it's four counts over 16 but it's six in total so that must mean two under 16. I hope that's not the case.
Hopefully that is not true - wow

Classical Mechanic

Hopefully that is not true - wow
I don't think it is

The charges relate to four complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August 2021.

I think it is phrased like this because one complainant is 17. Could be wrong but I think the allegations will be that he raped one or two of the complainants more than once.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Disgusting individual. I’m surprised we haven’t heard anything more about our unnamed player yet.

Bertie Wooster

Nope. As of 2018 he still owes us. I've not seen any real updates since then.

He's appealed to lots of different courts/ruling bodies, none of them have gone against Chelsea.

Timeline from the BBC....
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45719451
  • August 2003 - Joins Chelsea for £15.8m from Parma
  • October 2004 - Sacked by Chelsea after positive test for cocaine and banned for seven months
  • January 2005 - Signs for Livorno and is then contemporaneously sold to Juventus
  • May 2005 - Mutu appeals against Premier League's decision to allow Chelsea to seek compensation, later rejected by Court of Arbitration for Sport
  • May 2008 - Fifa orders Mutu to pay Chelsea damages, Mutu appeals to Cas
  • July 2009 - Cas rejects Mutu's appeal
  • June 2010 - Swiss Federal Supreme Court upholds Fifa and Cas rulings, Mutu appeals to European Court of Human Rights
  • October 2013 - Fifa orders Juventus and Livorno to pay part of compensation
  • January 2015 - Cas annuls Fifa ruling that Juventus and Livorno owe Chelsea compensation
  • October 2018 - ECHR rejects Mutu's appeal against Cas ruling.
I don't know if Chelsea have just given up, they probably have.
Why was the treatment of Mutu so different / harsher than many other players who've failed drugs tests before and after him?

Plenty of other players seem to have been kept on by their clubs during the ban, and given help by them. I never got why Mutu was not only sacked by his club but then ordered to pay the club such a huge amount of money for any individual.

Has that happened to any of the many other players who've been banned for failing / missing a drugs test over the years?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Why was the treatment of Mutu so different / harsher than many other players who've failed drugs tests before and after him?

Plenty of other players seem to have been kept on by their clubs during the ban, and given help by them. I never got why Mutu was not only sacked by his club but then ordered to pay the club such a huge amount of money.

Has that happened to any other of the many players who've been banned for failing / missing a drugs test?
The only other player in England I can remember who got done for cocaine was Bosnich, who also got sacked (there was no transfer fee to go after with him as a free signing).

Are there other players who tested positive for coke? Maradona years ago, he got a long ban and Napoli released him.

Anyone else?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The only other player in England I can remember who got done for cocaine was Bosnich, who also got sacked (there was no transfer fee to go after with him as a free signing).

Are there other players who tested positive for coke? Maradona years ago, he got a long ban and Napoli released him.

Anyone else?
Iuliano and Higuita.

Bertie Wooster

Anyone else?
Ah, I didn't realise it was all to do with the type of drug he was taking. I was just going off others who've failed drugs tests. Even so, focusing on the type, I'd have thought there were many more performance enhancing drugs than Cocaine that people had failed tests for that warranted stronger punishments than Mutu.

432JuanMata

People can say innocent til proven guilty but considering he is a top professional footballer with millions in the bank yet was denied bail tells you that he did these crimes.
Scumbag

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Ah, I didn't realise it was all to do with the type of drug he was taking. I was just going off others who've failed drugs tests. Even so, focusing on the type, I'd have thought there were many more performance enhancing drugs than Cocaine that people had failed tests for that warranted stronger punishments than Mutu.
Yeah, the type of drug is of course hugely impactful on any punishment.

Coke isn't a performance enhancing drug and it's no wonder whenever a player gets caught taking it, their career almost always goes downhill, if not off a cliff.

A player taking a PED is at least trying to perform better for the club. With the pressure to perform, I don't really blame a player for being tempted with that.

Bertie Wooster

I remember when musician Ian Watkins was jailed for paedophilia and some papers put up pictures of Ian. H. Watkins from Steps instead. These stupid mistakes occasionally happen when people have similar names and are in the same job.

In the current environment I'm not surprised to see it immediately be interpreted as racist when the mix up involves black people, but there's no reason why it can't be just another stupid and avoidable mix up of identity caused by sloppy research (the Ian (H) Watkins example), slips of the tongue (Barack Obama repeatedly calling George Osborne 'Jeffrey' because of the R&B singer), etc.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ferland Mendy's picture was also used by a french media to portay Mendy in this rape case. I'm tempted to call it "lazy racism" but racism nonetheless.

crossy1686

career ending

Anyone else?
That lad from Stoke who Pulis loved, Berahino. When Stoke sold him they said he’d spent 6 months banned for habitual drug use.

Apparently the FA give the option for clubs to handle these habitual drug bans as they see fit but the players are banned for 6 months if they fail a drugs test. I’m guessing most clubs just say “injured long term” to protect the players value.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
He's in a Chelsea kit as well ffs.

This sort of shit happens all the time when two footballers share a surname. I don't even understand how it happens? Even if you're a lazy journalist and you know nothing about football you're surely going to type 'Benjamin Mendy' to get a picture of him on Google, at the very least. The only way this could happen by accident is if you just typed 'Mendy' or 'Mendy footballer' but why would you not type their first name in. It just doesn't add up. And is no one proof reading these articles before they go out?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This sort of shit happens all the time when two footballers share a surname. I don't even understand how it happens? Even if you're a lazy journalist and you know nothing about football you're surely going to type 'Benjamin Mendy' to get a picture of him on Google, at the very least. The only way this could happen by accident is if you just typed 'Mendy' or 'Mendy footballer' but why would you not type their first name in. It just doesn't add up. And is no one proof reading these articles before they go out?
I was thinking that perhaps a post graduate social media content manager of some kind who isn't a football fan was tasked with finding images related to Benjamin Mendy and then typed in Mendy City, and since Edouard Mendy was the last player called Mendy to play in a match City were involved in, it brought up an image or two of Edouard Mendy, and since the person isn't a football fan, perhaps wouldn't have known that the first image up isn't the correct Mendy.

Silly mistake, but I can how a mistake like that can happen if the image finder isn't a football fan who already knows what Bemjamin Mendy looks like.

WakeAndBeek

I was thinking that perhaps a post graduate social media content manager of some kind who isn't a football fan was tasked with finding images related to Benjamin Mendy and then typed in Mendy City, and since Edouard Mendy was the last player called Mendy to play in a match City were involved in, it brought up an image or two of Edouard Mendy, and since the person isn't a football fan, perhaps wouldn't have known that the first image up isn't the correct Mendy.

Silly mistake, but I can how a mistake like that can happen if the image finder isn't a football fan who already knows what Bemjamin Mendy looks like.
Either way, for articles like this you would like to think the writer would take extra care to associate the right person’s image with the offences at hand here.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Either way, for articles like this you would like to think the writer would take extra care to associate the right person’s image with the offences at hand here.
I agree with you. It's a stupid mistake, and it's incredibly unfair for both Edouard and Ferland Mendy to be so casually linked to this case. I'm just saying I can see how an error like that can happen.

kouroux

how is it racism
If only Édouard Mendy was concerned I'd say it's a mistake but Ferland being included is dodgy to me. No links between the guys except their names, jobs and the fact they're black. It's suspect to me. Specially when one happened after the other. I could be wrong of course but it's very suspect to say the least for me

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
If only Édouard Mendy was concerned I'd say it's a mistake but Ferland being included is dodgy to me. No links between the guys except their names, jobs and the fact they're black. It's suspect to me. Specially when one happened after the other. I could be wrong of course but it's very suspect to say the least for me
'Suspect' is being very kind, especially considering Government ministers are just as bad:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...g-up-man-utds-marcus-rashford-with-maro-itoje

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yeah because some idiots online associate trial with guilt, and would then proceed to (wrongly) classify the wrong person as a rapist.

People can say innocent til proven guilty but considering he is a top professional footballer with millions in the bank yet was denied bail tells you that he did these crimes.
Scumbag
He was denied bail because he violated bail conditions (hence him continuing to play for City prior), not because of the nature of his crimes or the evidence.

UncleBob

So they have similar jobs, same last name and same skin color, and it's suspect?

MattyLT

Call me old fashioned but I think the most damming aspect in all this is still the allegations of rape, rather than an employer giving an employee the benefit of innocent until proven guilty?
No, the worst part about it is definitely the hypocrisy.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Ferland Mendy's picture was also used by a french media to portay Mendy in this rape case. I'm tempted to call it "lazy racism" but racism nonetheless.
You don’t think it might be because they’ve got the same surname?

JPRouve

Scout
When was the last time [Irrelevant point] and Xabi Alonso were mistaken for each other? How about Bernardo Silva and David Silva?

Calling it lazy racism is spot on.
I have seen things like but there was a funny one earlier this year. The Montreal Canadiens hired Jean Francois Houle and a paper used the picture of an other Jean Francois Houle who is older and working for the government.

kouroux

So they have similar jobs, same last name and same skin color, and it's suspect?
It is for me yeah. For a rape story, you cannot just use the image of the first Mendy that pops up and say to yourself "yeah, must be him". All of the confusion that can happen, I have never seen Caucasians involved in a rape story

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I have seen things like but there was a funny one earlier this year. The Montreal Canadiens hired Jean Francois Houle and a paper used the picture of an other Jean Francois Houle who is older and working for the government.
Hah fair enough! Will confess that I missed that story here in Portugal :lol:

Guess I would suggest the stakes are quite a bit higher here - it's a pretty inexcusable mistake and could be grounds for a defamation suit. I think it's also fair to point out that black and brown people are more likely to be perceived as criminals and that there are specific challenges associated with that fact, so news publications failing to do even a modicum of due diligence is far more impactful and therefore negligent.

JPRouve

Scout
Hah fair enough! Will confess that I missed that story here in Portugal :lol:

Guess I would suggest the stakes are quite a bit higher here - it's a pretty inexcusable mistake and could be grounds for a defamation suit. I think it's also fair to point out that black and brown people are more likely to be perceived as criminals and that there are specific challenges associated with that fact, so news publications failing to do even a modicum of due diligence is far more impactful and therefore negligent.
It definitely is but it's strangely common, most people miss it because they are not the first to an article. But in this case it's definitely not excusable, you can't link someone to that kind of crime and not triple check your article.

Status
Not open for further replies.