Benjamin Mendy charged with eight counts of rape against five women | Released on Bail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertd0803

Aren't Chelsea still trying to get money from Mutu for his drugs ban? I think the court ruled in Chelsea's favour but Mutu hasn't paid them anything yet.
I guess City could sue Mendy as he is an asset on their books, even if he's only worth £20m or something. He has voluntarily reduced that value to £0 and I'm guessing there is a clause about not breaking the law in there somewhere. Good luck getting any money out of him though, its probably a waste of time even trying.

Yeah I reckon it will be more about the principle of the thing with City (and Chelsea in the Mutu situation) that while they probably wont get anything out of it they are probably obliged from a PR to be seen to be condemning it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't see CPS bringing that many cases against him unless they have a rock solid case. This might not be a Ched Evans type trial.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Why? We aren’t a court of law
This line has never made sense.

"We're not a court of law so we can do something that has been deemed irresponsible by said court of law, for no benefit other than shits and giggles".

Technically, you're right. Anyone can say whatever they want. It doesn't make sense though.

CraftySoAndSo

Innocent until proven guilty and all that but already proven he is a complete waste of space as a footballer and if this is true (even just some of it) he is obviously just as much of a waste of space as a human.

Good riddance
Took the words right out of my mouth.

dal

What exactly is keeping in remand, surely he can’t be kept in prison for 9 more months if he hasn’t been confirmed guilty?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
What exactly is keeping in remand, surely he can’t be kept in prison for 9 more months if he hasn’t been confirmed guilty?
I was going to say it's unusual when the suspect is rich and/or (in)famous, but Ghislaine Maxwell has also been on remand for many months, largely for being a purported flight risk.

dal

I was going to say it's unusual when the suspect is rich and/or (in)famous, but Ghislaine Maxwell has also been on remand for many months, largely for being a purported flight risk.

I think it’s the pandemic, I’ve just done some reading that people have been kept in remand in prison since 2019 ( around 3,500 for longer than 9 months), some have 23 hours a day in prison without a guilty verdict.

Absolouley shocking, given the conviction rate is 83 percent, that’s a lot of people in prison for doing nothing wrong by the rule of law, I hope they get compensated surely.

Classical Mechanic

He was on bail and still playing football for the initial charges but he was accused of and charged with a number of other rapes whilst on bail so he’s held on remand for public safety and breaching other bail conditions. If his case is taking longer because of other complainants coming forward, Covid backlog or both I’m not sure.

K Stand Knut

I think it’s the pandemic, I’ve just done some reading that people have been kept in remand in prison since 2019 ( around 3,500 for longer than 9 months), some have 23 hours a day in prison without a guilty verdict.

Absolouley shocking, given the conviction rate is 83 percent, that’s a lot of people in prison for doing nothing wrong by the rule of law, I hope they get compensated surely.
Or completely understandable based on the circumstances!!!!!

Believe me; there is 100% a good reason why he has been remanded in to custody. Courts hate remanding people and don’t take the decision lightly.

I shouldn’t need to explain the good reasons in this particular case

Gfooty

I'm sure he's getting a few daily shags in... albeit on the receiving end. Either that or he's paying some crazy protection money. I heard that prison is no joke

galwayfa

Wonder if he's still getting paid?
Obviously don't know for definite but I'd say he is as he still is innocent in eyes of the law, but I think city will sue him if found guilty and look for the wages back that he got while he couldn't play

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I'm sure he's getting a few daily shags in... albeit on the receiving end. Either that or he's paying some crazy protection money. I heard that prison is no joke
Depends on which prison. My brother in law is on remand for the last year and is doing fine. Different case though

dal

To be honest I’m just dumbfounded if he’s done this, definitely a screw loose.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

He was granted bail initially, which allowed him to be out and still playing for City while the case was ongoing, but he broke the conditions of his bail, so now he gets to sit in a cell until his trial.

Gfooty

Depends on which prison. My brother in law is on remand for the last year and is doing fine. Different case though
A lot of gang activity and 29 attacks between prisoners per month. I can imagine a millionaire amongst the crowd is an easy target to either attack and/or exploit for money.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
He was granted bail initially, which allowed him to be out and still playing for City while the case was ongoing, but he broke the conditions of his bail, so now he gets to sit in a cell until his trial.
Didn't he carry on raping when out on bail? I think I read that somewhere. What a total buffoon.

cyberman

This line has never made sense.

"We're not a court of law so we can do something that has been deemed irresponsible by said court of law, for no benefit other than shits and giggles".

Technically, you're right. Anyone can say whatever they want. It doesn't make sense though.
But I’m not in the court and do not have training to understand what’s being said in a legal sense. Why should I wait for that when there’s half a dozen rape allegations? Has there ever been anybody who has been proven to be innocent from so many accusations?
I can think whatever I want. I can think Boris is a twat but there will never be a court hearing on Boris twatness. I can believe someone is scum when they have 6(?!) rape accusations against him. I’m not bound by law to withhold judgement

foolsgold

Regardless of what he's done, keeping people on remand for extended periods of time is unacceptable.

People have a right to speedy justice, too many people in jail for months on end, acquitted and sent home to lost jobs and disrupted lives with zero compensation. Should be a 90 day maximum.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
But I’m not in the court and do not have training to understand what’s being said in a legal sense. Why should I wait for that when there’s half a dozen rape allegations? Has there ever been anybody who has been proven to be innocent from so many accusations?
I can think whatever I want. I can think Boris is a twat but there will never be a court hearing on Boris twatness. I can believe someone is scum when they have 6(?!) rape accusations against him. I’m not bound by law to withhold judgement
I literally said you can do/think whatever you want, even if there is little backing behind it! I know less about Boris than you but I'm glad to follow your lead and think he's an utter twat.

But to answer your question, I see charges as the police's interpretation of what happened (which is only one, partial and biased view). It's only in court that we get a more full picture of what actually happened (which is not complete without alleged victim testimony, and the defendant potentially refuting or confirming the allegations). Not sure of the numbers around convictions, but I'm not aware of any crime with a 100% conviction rate, which is why I am usually hesitant to link guilt to accusation. But again, I'm not questioning your right to do otherwise... so yes we are not in a court of law. But there is a reason why we don't say "5 accusations, off to jail you go".

To counterbalance all this, it bears saying that charges aside, the defendant has already proven himself unworthy of being a PL footballer, by violating bail conditions, and being an abrasive twat in general during COVID.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Mutu at least played on after Chelsea and still earned a bit of money to be chased for.

Mendy could be looking at 2 decades behind bars. He'll have feck all money left to pay them and no real source of income to try even if they go looking.
Some team will probably give him a contract. Football isn't known for its stringent morality.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Once he's proven guilty I hope they lock him up and throw away the key.

FreddieTheReddie

Stormzy/Lukaku
Maro Itoje/ Marcus Rashford
Mendy/Mendy

If something happens, and it is both offensive, AND it occurs disproportionately often to people of colour, then it should absolutely be called out as racism. An honest mistake can still be one caused by racial prejudice. I understand why you are hesitant by the way, not trying to be holier than thou, but this is a pattern, and it’s a pattern that does not happen evenly across society.
I’m white and I very often mistake Natalie Portman for Keira Knightly and one of the Kardashians for Nicole Scherzinger. It’s really dangerous when you see racism everywhere where it isn’t.

Tarrou

I’m white and I very often mistake Natalie Portman for Keira Knightly and one of the Kardashians for Nicole Scherzinger. It’s really dangerous when you see racism everywhere where it isn’t.
everyone mistakes them to be fair

but still, if one of them was accused of an incredibly serious crime and you were a reporter writing about the story - do you think you'd still make that mistake? It takes a few moments to google it

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He'll spend a lot more time being vulnerable once his behind has been exposed in gen pop.
He's a rich celebrity who's in far better physical condition than pretty much everyone else inside, I doubt his life is going to be anywhere near as miserable as people are making it out to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.