Benjamin Pavard

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I read somewhere his preference is to play CB, has he been playing there for you? I think he'd be fantastic signing, but unsure what his preferred position is if we were to sign him.
At times. Mostly he’s played as a right full back. But I agree that he’s better at cb. In my opinion one of the best ball plying cbs out there. I’d really prefer if we were able to keep him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Would prefer Timber for this exact role.
I expect ETH would go for Timber if he wanted a RCB / RB hybrid.
I agree, and I would also prefer Timber for the role because Timber offers both progressive passes and progressive carries, which makes him more suitable for the role than Pavard. Pavard only offers one out of the two. Although, Pavard is still a very good option.

NoPace

I thought everyone was in agreement that Timber wasn’t good enough or at the very least, hadn’t had a particularly great WorldCup?
I doubt Ten Hag agrees.

He wanted Timber. We've seen him buy Malacia, whose best quality by far is his short passing and first touch, Lindelof has moved ahead of Maguire for the same reasons. If Ten Hag thinks our bad goal difference is more indicative of where we are than finishing 3rd, he could go for Timber and just try to keep Varane healthy for the matchups where Lisandro-Timber is too small a pairing and he's worried about the strength and height of the other team's striker.

Not saying we will buy Timber, but rumour was he wanted him, so I could still see it.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Would be a transformative signing, of course, as with all signings like this, hell go to City or Chelsea.

Mainoldo

I’ve always said I love his versatility. But would mean picking him over Kim Min Jae.

CantonaManc

See where they play, how they play, if they play..
Supports
ETH's tricky reds
If Bayern don't want to renew him you should keep an eye out !

Pavard is not the guy we should be looking for, there are better players out there. If Manchester United want to build on what they achieved this season we should work from now on the principal quality not quantity.

Mmm-Qatarian

If we're going to sign a centre back this summer, Pavard strikes me as an eminently sensible option.

Technically exceptional, nearing the end of his contract so likely not exceedingly expensive, and also perfectly capable of playing right back.

HTG

Supports
Bayern

Pavard is not the guy we should be looking for, there are better players out there. If Manchester United want to build on what they achieved this season we should work from now on the principal quality not quantity.
We want to. He doesn’t want to.

plex

That is not quite true. Bayern actually wants to renew his contract, but it looks like - according to media - that he wants to try out sth. new after 7 years at Bayern. Most likely it‘s also his last „big contract“. He is a great player, not a backup, someone for the first team. His preferred position is center back, even though he can also play as right back. The latter has always been a discussion point, since Bayern already has De Ligt, Upamecano and Hernandez as center backs, i.e. a Bayern could not guarantee him to play as center back.

Last edited:

UpWithRivers

Makes a lot of sense to me. But as a RB. If we get Mount then a RB that can tuck into midfield alongside Casemiro would make a lot of sense. Like Klopp has started using Trent recently.

-------Varane----Martinez------Shaw
-------------Pavard-----Casemiro
-------------Mount-----Bruno
Antony-----------Kane---------Rashford

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
That is not quite true. Bayern actually wants to renew his contract, but it looks like - according to media - that he wants to try out sth. new after 7 years at Bayern. Most likely it‘s also his last „big contract“. He is a great player, not a backup, someone for the first team. His preferred position is center back, even though he can also play as right back. The latter has always been a discussion point, since Bayern already has De Ligt, Upamecano and Hernandez as center backs, i.e. a Bayern could not guarantee him to play as center back.
He also simply wants a new challenge.

Red00012

Makes a lot of sense to me. But as a RB. If we get Mount then a RB that can tuck into midfield alongside Casemiro would make a lot of sense. Like Klopp has started using Trent recently.

-------Varane----Martinez------Shaw
-------------Pavard-----Casemiro
-------------Mount-----Bruno
Antony-----------Kane---------Rashford
We haven’t even signed him and you’ve placed him in midfield a position he hasn’t played in , and we’ve a new formation we’ve never played :lol:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Alright calm down lads
You upset people with this one. :lol:

Out of curiosity what was the context of that claim that you heard? In general Pavard is a pretty good player but he has had some rough patches, so if your source only saw a limited amount of games, he may have had the wrong impression.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You upset people with this one. :lol:

Out of curiosity what was the context of that claim that you heard? In general Pavard is a pretty good player but he has had some rough patches, so if your source only saw a limited amount of games, he may have had the wrong impression.
I just have a couple of German friends (one is a Bayern fan and the other is a Hertha fan) who have always thought of him as a liability in the past couple of years.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, he's gonna leave Bayern to become back up for Varane
Varane managed 21 full 90s in the PL this season. A top quality RCB who can also play RB to supplement him would be greatly appreciated.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I just have a couple of German friends (one is a Bayern fan and the other is a Hertha fan) who have always thought of him as a liability in the past couple of years.
Get new friends.

JPRouve

Scout
That's kind of the issue. He has had some patchy moments around 2021 but that's not always and it's not representative of the player. If I'm being honest, I probably trashed him around that time but it was more an overreaction than an accurate take.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
That's kind of the issue. He has had some patchy moments around 2021 but that's not always and it's not representative of the player. If I'm being honest, I probably trashed him around that time but it was more an overreaction than an accurate take.
This. He also doesn’t have that big a name, which hurts his reputation. But the truth is that he delivered for us whenever called upon. On two different positions. And he can also play as defensive midfielder, if the need is there.
If he hadn’t joined from Stuttgart or if he had cost about twice as much, I genuinely believe people on here would be ecstatic about a chance to get him.
Pavard is class. He’s flexible, technically strong, has great passing, is a great defender and is a player who can rise to the occasion. And as a defender he’s quite dangerous in front of the goal. Even in open play.
I would really hate to lose him and it pisses me of that we might lose him to a club whose fans don’t even know how good he is. To me he’s our best cb after De Ligt. Our fans didn’t appreciate him fully during his time with us. If he joins your club, I really hope your fans don’t do the same.

UpWithRivers

We haven’t even signed him and you’ve placed him in midfield a position he hasn’t played in , and we’ve a new formation we’ve never played :lol:
Tell that to Weghorst when he played midfield against Barca etc, tell that to Bruno playing RW and sitting in front of the back 4 spraying balls, tell that to Ten Haag who loves shifting people in weird positions and Klopp and Trent for playing midfield. Tell that to Casemiro when he's sitting in front of the back 4 after signing Mount. Tell that to Shaw who started playing center back.

Skills

Snitch
Varanes fitness has been a dodgy over the years, so I think he'd be a great addition. Especially as he can also play as a RB so we can slim down the squad, without losing cover

Red00012

Tell that to Weghorst when he played midfield against Barca etc, tell that to Bruno playing RW and sitting in front of the back 4 spraying balls, tell that to Ten Haag who loves shifting people in weird positions and Klopp and Trent for playing midfield. Tell that to Casemiro when he's sitting in front of the back 4 after signing Mount. Tell that to Shaw who started playing center back.
You’ve moved a centre back into midfield who’s never played there . Your example is a LB moving to CB because of injuries. And Bruno who is an attacking midfielder been moved around midfield . You’ve also mentioned Klopp and Trent in 2 posts. We also haven’t signed Mount .

croadyman

Varanes fitness has been a dodgy over the years, so I think he'd be a great addition. Especially as he can also play as a RB so we can slim down the squad, without losing cover
Yeah my thoughts too

Varun

Staff
Varane managed 21 full 90s in the PL this season. A top quality RCB who can also play RB to supplement him would be greatly appreciated.
I was responding to posts on the first page saying he'd be great cover.

He's a quality player and given the contract situation, should have his pick of clubs. I don't see him leaving Bayern for a club where he isn't first choice so I'd be surprised if he comes here. Needless to say, it'd be great for us if he does

JPRouve

Scout
I was responding to posts on the first page saying he'd be great cover.

He's a quality player and given the contract situation, should have his pick of clubs. I don't see him leaving Bayern for a club where he isn't first choice so I'd be surprised if he comes here. Needless to say, it'd be great for us if he does
I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Real Madrid, in spite of a lack of playing time guarantee. They need to replace Nacho.