Benjamin Pavard

Varun

Staff
I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at Real Madrid, in spite of a lack of playing time guarantee. They need to replace Nacho.
That's where I see him too. Wouldn't have declined the contract without a big club already in advanced talks and Real makes sense.

criticalanalysis

How does he fare in a higher line, 1-vs-1, aerially, his recovery pace etc? Proactive or reactive defending?

Suv666

He was the bees knees a few years ago. Why the Bayern exit? Is he not getting enough minutes or has his development stalled?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
He was the bees knees a few years ago. Why the Bayern exit? Is he not getting enough minutes or has his development stalled?
He has been in Germany for 7 years (first Stuttgart and then Bayern) and is simply looking for a new challenge.

Suv666

He has been in Germany for 7 years (first Stuttgart and then Bayern) and is simply looking for a new challenge.
Would love him at Utd he’s been impressive every time I’ve seen him although I doubt he’d be happy to compete with Varane.

Unless we plan on playing a back 3 or deploying him at RB.

Licha M

Any resident Bundesliga watchers in here?

The last I can recall, Pavard was struggling at Bayern and the fans didn't want him in the 11. This was a couple of years ago now so maybe he turned things around.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
No way he accepts playing at RB. He wants to play CB primarily I believe.

If we pull this off & KMJ as well, then it's serious that ETH wants at least 2 quality players for every position

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
No way he accepts playing at RB. He wants to play CB primarily I believe.

If we pull this off & KMJ as well, then it's serious that ETH wants at least 2 quality players for every position
Surely one or the other? I think Lindelof stays and Maguire goes. That does leave 2 quality players for every position.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Any resident Bundesliga watchers in here?

The last I can recall, Pavard was struggling at Bayern and the fans didn't want him in the 11. This was a couple of years ago now so maybe he turned things around.
He was struggling for a bit, but he evolved into a usually rock solid player and no one has issues with playing him I believe. The big problem in a way is that he prefers playing as CB but for Bayern he usually had to play RB. His perfect position probably was the RCB in Nagelsmann's 3241 system, but that didn't exist for long.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Surely one or the other? I think Lindelof stays and Maguire goes. That does leave 2 quality players for every position.
Agree with u that Lindelof stays & Maguire goes.
Along with Jones, Mengi, Tuanzebe & Bailly.

With so many CBs leaving, surely we buy 2 at least?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

I think if we're comfortable with Shaw dropping in at CB in emergency cases, it's fine. None of those players have played a single minute for us this season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

The latter four are complete non-entities in terms of having to replace them in the first team.

Maguire basically shared his minutes with Lindelof this season, so (bar about two games a month ago where we had to play them together) we don't really NEED to replace even him. We probably will as it does leave us a bit short, but there's a few positions in the team that need signing more than one CB. We definitely wouldn't need two.

Nickosaur

Even as a CB his progression is ridiculous. I’d sign him as a Maguire replacement too.
Oh agreed. I haven't seen him play much there but seems to be just as highly rated as a CB. Either Pavard or Kim I'd be very happy with.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Oh agreed. I haven't seen him play much there but seems to be just as highly rated as a CB. Either Pavard or Kim I'd be very happy with.
He’s very good on the ball. Passing is constantly forward and accurate. Exact kind of CB/RB you’d want in build up.

IRN-BRUno

I don't think we're seriously interested in Kim so this looks the more likely signing. Now Dalot has signed his contract I'd expect Wan-Bissaka to move on along with Maguire, Pavard can effectively replace both. I know he prefers not to be at RB but he could be first-choice there and move to CB when Varane is missing.

RB: Pavard / Dalot
RCB: Varane / Pavard / Lindelof
LCB: Martinez / Lindelof / Shaw
LB: Shaw / Malacia / Dalot

That's probably enough cover across defence, might occasionally need someone else on the bench or to play the odd game but that could be done by a youth or Williams if he's still here.

We need an rvn

I don't think we're seriously interested in Kim so this looks the more likely signing. Now Dalot has signed his contract I'd expect Wan-Bissaka to move on along with Maguire, Pavard can effectively replace both. I know he prefers not to be at RB but he could be first-choice there and move to CB when Varane is missing.

RB: Pavard / Dalot
RCB: Varane / Pavard / Lindelof
LCB: Martinez / Lindelof / Shaw
LB: Shaw / Malacia / Dalot

That's probably enough cover across defence, might occasionally need someone else on the bench or to play the odd game but that could be done by a youth or Williams if he's still here.
That doesn't look like enough cover for me if I'm honest.

Varane is fairly injury prone, and looking at our injuries now and that were to happen next year again with both him and Martinez out for a month or two, you're basically looking at Pavard and Lindelof as two central defenders to cover all the games. Even with Shaw as the third choice, that means Malacia as the left back who I still think has a lot to learn.

I am no fan of Maguire and I wouldn't be surprised if we sold him but brought two defenders in - one experienced and one for the future. I don't think we have anyone coming through the youth who can make the step up to the seniors / first team next season off the top of my head

Highfather_24

Unless Maguire leaves I don't see united moving for a defender.
Would 100% be dependent on Maguire leaving. Same goes for McTominay, if he doesnt leave, I dont see us getting any other signings apart from Mount in midfield.

Trex

Would 100% be dependent on Maguire leaving. Same goes for McTominay, if he doesnt leave, I dont see us getting any other signings apart from Mount in midfield.
In Maguires case it doesn't bother me as much due to the presence of Lindelof and Shaw. But with Mctominay we should be insisting he moves on. It will cost us somehow if we rely on him as Case deputy. We're already in talks with Brighton for Caicedo so probably we'll move for him or someone else (he's going to cost a lot) either way.