Benjamin Sesko | Despite Raees best efforts he’s joining Liepzig. Damn you Raees

Status
Not open for further replies.

dove

€50m is absolutely mental unless majority of it is addon based.

the_cliff

That fee is crazy, Bayern got the best French striker prospect since Benzema for 25m less and PSG signed another heralded French prospect for 20m less
And how would some small time Barca journo know that we're in talks for 50 mill Euros.

AndySmith1990

I'm all for bringing in exciting, hard working young players and fecking off the old toxic ones. Hopefully this happens!

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Remember the golden journo/social media rule.

”If it’s United, take the total fee incl add ons and add a bit more. Anyone else, pure upfront fee only”
Perhaps but we need to stop it, he's shown nothing to be worth more than £20m, he wasn't even the highest scorer for his team, he might be great but he's a long way off showing anything

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
On the one hand people complain that we haven't done enough to strengthen the team, that we've ignored obvious areas of weakness and that we are screwed if we don't make signings.

On the other hand if the club actually responds by not only trying to sign a player in a position that we badly need strengthening but also by being willing to pay extra in order to secure him a year earlier than the selling club would prefer and ahead of other interested clubs, that's wrong too.

Even when inflated sum reported isn't some record-breaking fee like a Nunez or Antony would cost but rather slightly less than someone like Kalvin Phillips went for. And even when they don't know what the break down of the fee would be. And even when they almost certainly haven't seen the player play regularly, unless they're avid fans of the Austrian league. It's still worth complaining about.

You can't have it every way. If your expectation is that we exclusively sign ready-made outstanding talents as and when we need them for bargain fees then you'll be disappointed by some of the signings pretty much any club makes. Let alone a club that has been placed in a more difficult position by circumstance (i.e. no CL football to offer, the Ronaldo situation to consider, etc.)

Let's just hope we actually get the deal done if this is indeed a legit story.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Who the feck cares about the fee. Never ever understood those people.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
If we hadn’t heard that we met with his agent last week I wouldn’t believe this. I think it’s true and I’m happy to be in for him. He looks like someone who could easily have a darwin kind of season and be worth a hell of a lot more by the end of the season or else be picked up by a development club and have the same outcome at some point. I worry about a few things. Martial will most likely be worthless again with competition or put on the wing in rotation and the major Ronaldo elephant in the room. If we get rid of Ronaldo then this is the best thing we can do. Thank god we aren’t looking for old cheap options anymore.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
On the one hand people complain that we haven't done enough to strengthen the team, that we've ignored obvious areas of weakness and that we are screwed if we don't make signings.

On the other hand if the club actually responds by not only trying to sign a player in a position that we badly need strengthening but also by being willing to pay extra in order to secure him a year earlier than the selling club would prefer and ahead of other interested clubs, that's wrong too.

Even when inflated sum reported isn't some record-breaking fee like a Nunez or Antony would cost but rather slightly less than someone like Kalvin Phillips went for. And even when they don't know what the break down of the fee would be. And even when they almost certainly haven't seen the player play regularly, unless they're avid fans of the Austrian league. It's still worth complaining about.

You can't have it every way. If your expectation is that we exclusively sign ready-made outstanding talents as and when we need them for bargain fees then you'll be disappointed by some of the signings pretty much any club makes. Let alone a club that has been placed in a more difficult position by circumstance (i.e. no CL football to offer, the Ronaldo situation to consider, etc.)

Let's just hope we actually get the deal done if this is indeed a legit story.
Yeah, I kinda agree.

If this kid actually was pumping out the same numbers as Nunez then he'd be €100m. €30-40m, weirdly, seems about right in this horribly inflated market for a really talented young striker.

Strootman's Finger

And I think we can all agree, that worked out splendidly.
I didn't like the signing at the time, and I am not particularly a fan of Martial, but the point is that the club has splashed huge money on a relatively unknown, really young, striker prospect in the past, and therefore it's not out of the realm of posssiblity that we do it again.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Who the feck cares about the fee. Never ever understood those people.
In general I understand worrying about overpaying for players. Because if you spend an extra 30m say, that comes with opportunity cost in terms of what you can spend elsewhere. So you're not worried about the money so much as whether the amount spent will prevent you from doing additional business that you might otherwise have done.

But context matters. And the context here is that it's less than a few days before the season begins, we have several outstanding positions that badly need signings, our nominal main CF is looking to leave, we haven't actually spent much money so far this summer, the fee mentioned here isn't that astronomical and we're in a position where a lot of players may ideally prefer other clubs. In that case if we need to overspend slightly to secure the player we want, then overpay.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We definitely didn’t ‘massively overpay’ for Martial. You don’t get to wait 6 years and then decide whether you like the player and determine value. He came in as a teenager and was comfortably our best player. 17 goals first season, has out up a 21 goal season and won the Golden Ball. What should we have paid, 15m?

Even now, he’s currently our first choice striker 6 years later. We have certainly not overpaid at 36m for what we got. That’s what Scamacca has just cost. If you buy a teenager for 36m and he spends 8-10 years at the club, ending seasons as your top scorer, then it’s easily fair.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Perhaps but we need to stop it, he's shown nothing to be worth more than £20m, he wasn't even the highest scorer for his team, he might be great but he's a long way off showing anything
Yes…

… but (1) our position means we might have to take a bit of a chance and (2) pay a BIT more so I’d be ok (ish) with €25m/€30m + €5m for each 20 goals + €5m for each 50 starts (max of €50m all in) + 20% sell on fee increase above €25m.

It doesn’t work, we sell for €15m (min) and move on. RB get €25m/€30m, United lose out a bit

It works (he scores a lot, plays a lot), those extra €5m jumps are worth it. RB get €35, 40, 45, 50, United have had the goals/appearances.

It works and we sell him for €60m. RB get €25m/€30m + addons + €7m. United get the goals and tfr profit.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
We definitely didn’t ‘massively overpay’ for Martial. You don’t get to wait 6 years and then decide whether you like the player and determine value. He came in as a teenager and was comfortably our best player. 17 goals first season, has out up a 21 goal season and won the Golden Ball. What should we have paid, 15m?

Even now, he’s currently our first choice striker 6 years later. We have certainly not overpaid at 36m for what we got. That’s what Scamacca has just cost. If you buy a teenager for 36m and he spends 8-10 years at the club, ending seasons as your top scorer, then it’s easily fair.
He did?

hobbers

Excited but tinged with trepidation. Hopefully the total deal is weighted towards performance add ons.

We desperately need a proper number 9 because Martial will be injured again by gameweek 2.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Yes…

… but (1) our position means we might have to take a bit of a chance and (2) pay a BIT more so I’d be ok (ish) with €25m/€30m + €5m for each 20 goals + €5m for each 50 starts (max of €50m all in) + 20% sell on fee increase above €25m.

It doesn’t work, we sell for €15m (min) and move on. RB get €25m/€30m, United lose out a bit

It works (he scores a lot, plays a lot), those extra €5m jumps are worth it. RB get €35, 40, 45, 50, United have had the goals/appearances.

It works and we sell him for €60m. RB get €25m/€30m + addons + €7m. United get the goals and tfr profit.
That I'm on board with, reality is we will probably pay £50m including add ons and pull out of the FDJ transfer for it :lol:

Davie Moyes

I agree. Plus the way fees exploded a year or two after Martial came meant it was no longer seen as a overpaying but more a normal fee.

flappyjay

It wouldn’t be unprecedented though to see him eventually go for a lower fee after all the hype has died down.

Belotti was linked to a number of top clubs at 23 with the fee of €100m quoted by Torino, he is now moving on a free transfer to Roma as they were not able to sell him for anything substantial for the previous two years. Similar with Dybala at Juventus who we were linked with for £60m+ when he was younger. There are many more examples of players who were tipped to be the next big thing and ended up being sold on a cheap not long after.

If we spend £50m or so on a player who scored 5 goals in Austrian Bundesliga it is purely based on future potential. We did the same move with Diallo and it seems to have been a big waste of money. To be fair there is maybe a handful of transfers of players with virtually no experience for big fees that worked out well for the club that bought them.
Madrid is currently reaping the benefits of going for Vinicius early and it seems like Rodrygo might turn into something too.

flappyjay

That fee is crazy, Bayern got the best French striker prospect since Benzema for 25m less and PSG signed another heralded French prospect for 20m less
Adeyemi who is more developed left the same club for 30m euros.

Tarrou

Dunno what all the fuss is about

we’ve saved 10s of millions in failed add-ons over the years

Strootman's Finger

Adeyemi who is more developed left the same club for 30m euros.
They were planning to sell him. And Dortmund got that done right at the beginning of the window, so plenty of time to plan around selling him, we're trying to do this as the season is about to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.