Benjamin Sesko | Despite Raees best efforts he’s joining Liepzig. Damn you Raees

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Moussa Diaby, Coman, Digne, Rabiot, Soumare, Sakho, Guendouzi, Moussa Dembele, Edouard and Adli as well as Nkunku came through PSG’s academy as did Anelka and Evra further back mate.
Digne is from Lille, Ferland Mendy is from PSG as are Areola, Maignan, Ikoné, Nianzou, Timothy Weah or Kimpembe.

Chief123

If you’re good enough you’re old enough. I’d rather sign someone with the right attributes to make an impact. From what I’ve seen Sesko has attributes that mean he can contribute immediately.
Agreed. I don’t think the young age of a player is as big an obstacle as it used to be. There are plenty of 19 year olds playing top level football regularly. If I remember correctly Saka played 25+ games in the league for Arsenal aged 17. Some players play behind their years. We’re still here thinking Chong is a youth when he’s going to be 23 and still not developed.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Digne is from Lille, Ferland Mendy is from PSG as are Areola, Maignan, Ikoné, Nianzou, Timothy Weah or Kimpembe.
How can we forget the Liverpool Henry David N’Gog and the new Messi back then Hervin Ongenda.

Chief123

I can't get over the mention of Toney. I realize that it was likely a random mention but it's like suggesting Richie Lambert, Danny Ings or a better option Chris Wood.
Not only him, but for £60m as well!

Without targeting him, it proved my point that you just can’t pick up a proven goal scorer who’s established at the top level for £40m right now. Hence we have to look at potentials for that much. The fact that Toney was the suggestion proves the point.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How can we forget the Liverpool Henry David N’Gog and the new Messi back then Hervin Ongenda.
Because N'Gog was always useless. I won't mention Mulumbu for the same reason.

swissgenius

If you’re good enough you’re old enough. I’d rather sign someone with the right attributes to make an impact. From what I’ve seen Sesko has attributes that mean he can contribute immediately.
While I agree that age is only a number, he's just not good enough to play PL yet. We could just play Garnacho or Hugill, it's about the same gamble.
His next step was meant to be starting regularly in the austrian league, because he hasn't so far...

Bondi77

I avoided it because it's one of the most stupidest comparison I have ever seen. Pukki is 32 and will be retired by the time we see them back in PL again while Toney is one of the actual options we are considering.
Every transfer is a risk but it's much less of a risk to get Toney for 50-60 now than a kid for 40 from Austrian league. This kid won't help us this year. Period.

Can't believe I have to explain this atleast 4 times.
Only four??

Flexdegea

Apart from Roma that is! Good old Jose!

Are we buying a backup here or a starter?

If buying a backup is it not best to follow Man City's lead and buy a prospect from South America for £15m like Alvarez, who will be less of a gamble?

We done that last year and he not even close to starting

Tiber

Buying the player isn't my issue. Spending 40m this year on that kid won't help us this season - that's my point. I would rather spend 50 -60 on guys like Toney than sesko , because we are woefully short this year in striking department.
60 million on a player who scored 12 goals last year?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
We done that last year and he not even close to starting
Are you referring to Pellistri who had half as many apperances in senior football as Alvarez?
Also Alvarez had a one in two goals scoring record at the time of the transfer, Pellistri has a one in thirty record. Slight difference.

The idea is to buy players who are on the cusp of readiness, not ones who need loans to get them up to speed.
City have done it with Jesus as well don't forget.

Susan Vega

He’s a gamble at the quoted price, but worth taking a chance I think given the lack of availability of quality strikers.

United would be a better choice of club with regards progression as a player.

dedek_mraz

A detailed comparison of last years league performance of Šeško, Nunez, Haaland, Haller and by popular demand ... Ivan Toney :D. Important to note that Šeško was 18 years of age and not fully established in his clubs first 11, whilst others were at least 3 yrs older (Haaland, others even older) and obviously already established in their respective clubs first teams, so its best to look at stats per 90 mins played. Obviously Šeško played in the easiest league by far, but as I said, you have to take into account that he is also far younger than others.

Key observations - positive:
  • Šeško is the most two-footed (equal amount of goals with either foot + has the smallest difference between left and right sided passes),
  • attempted 2nd most passes (Haller 1st with 4 attempts more, 3rd Toney with 3 less) and completed the 2nd most passes (again Haller 1st)
  • pass accuracy is 71.17 % which is 3rd best but by really fine margins (1st Haller with 72.93) - Nunez and Toney trail visibly here
  • 2nd most passes completed in oppo half (1st is Haller)
  • 1st in backward passes, 2nd in sideways passes (very similar numbers to Haller here, with others noticeably behind)
  • 2nd in short passes completed
  • 3rd in long pass accuracy (better than Haaland and Toney)
  • 2nd in take-ons completed
  • 3rd in successful lay-offs (after Haller and Haaland)
Key observations - negative:
  • takes the most shots, but has the worst conversion rate and shot accuracy only better than Toney (although he hit the woodwork 5 times, substantialy more than anybody else),
  • loses possesion the most
  • has most unsuccessful take-ons and the worst take-on success
  • aerial duels success % only better than that of Nunez
  • worst ground duel success %
So the main conclusion would be, that Šeško puts himself about, and is very willing to get involved in the build up but as with his finishing, he needs to make his efforts more effective.

TL;DR: In many aspects Šeško is very similar to Haller (but of course not as good right now) so its not hard to guess what role would he play for Ten Hag and why our manager wants him. Sorry for the long post.

Chief123

Didn't Sesko only score 11 last season?
He was 18. Comparing that to a 26 year old.

When you are looking at someone who is 19 years old you have to focus on everything other than stats at that point. It’s not his fault he’s so young. You have to scout him and does he pass the visual test. Does he seem to have attributes that would be valuable. Everything he has right now has the potential to grow massively. Some young players you have to see do they have the X-factor and likely to go far. Young players are always a gamble.

If we base it just on him scoring 11 goals in the league last season, that means nothing for a 19 year old who wasn’t playing every game.

When Rooney arrived at Utd, most would agree he was electric from his first season. You could see he was going to go to the top. However, if you just looked at the fact he only scored 11 premier league goals in his first season it doesn’t look as impressive. In fact, in his first 5 seasons at Utd he scored 11, 16, 14, 12, 12 league goals respectively. We all know he offered a lot more than his goal tally suggested.

Last edited:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
So its 60M is it?

My issue with the fees is if you spend 60M on a striker you need to expect a return and a good one at that and I don't think Sesko will offer that right now. Lets go on the basis that the Austrian league is very poor (12th in the world), the lad plays for the "PSG" of Austria (Salzburg) and scored a whopping 11 goals. It's not like the lad is Erling Haaland from Salzburgs with 28 goals in 27 games. He has 11 goals in 37 games for the Austrian powerhouse.

Now I am not going to sit here and tell you that I watch the Austrian league every weekend and have seen the kid play consistently but this possible dealing is smelling very Fabio Silva like (Let me explain). Fabio Silva was (is) a very talented young Portuguese striker especially at the youth level and he joined Wolves for 40M (!?!) after scoring 1 goal in 12 games for Porto (at the ripe age of 17 years old).

Now if pull out my tin foil hat here for a second and do the mathematics it comes to something like this.....

17 year old Fabio Silva (2 years younger then Sesko) scores 1 goal in 12 gams for Porto in the 6th best league in the world (at the time now we are 7th....dam you Ajax) = or is the same as 19 year old Sesko scored 11 goals in 37 games for the best team of the 12th ranked league in the world. I feel that is a very fair evaluation and Silva cost Wolves 40M and you see how he performed in England for Wolves.

Now I am in no way saying that Sesko or Silva are bad players because they are both 19 and 20 respectfully and are still developing but what I am pointing out is that if United pay 60M for Sesko they are out of their mind as he is not worth that at the moment.

Fabio Silva just got loaned to Anderlecht who plays in the 13th best league in the world right behind Austria and has 2 goals in 3 games so far, if he hits 25 is he worth 60M?

Last edited:

SportingCP96

Supports
Tall, powerful, good technique for a big player. Similarities to Haland i suppose...
Im sorry but the only similarity he has to Haaland is that they both wore a Salzburg kit. Haaland was and is very fast for his height, very strong and physically imposing, a elite finisher who can score with either foot using power or fitness. This kid is nothing like him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Unfortunately the thread is going like Sesko vs Toney. The original point is about Sesko vs < insert any half striker attainable for the same money who can do the job now>.

I only mentioned Toney because I don't watch lot of football outside of PL. Toney was just an example.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So its 60M is it?

My issue with the fees is if you spend 60M on a striker you need to expect a return and a good one at that and I don't think Sesko will offer that right now. Lets go on the basis that the Austrian league is very poor (12th in the world), the lad plays for the "PSG" of Austria (Salzburg) and scored a whopping 11 goals. It's not like the lad is Erling Haaland from Salzburgs corn 28 goals in 27 games. He has 11 goals in 37 games for the Austrian powerhouse.

Now I am not going to sit here and tell you that I watch the Austrian league every weekend and have seen the kid play consistently but this possible dealing is smelling very Fabio Silva like (Let me explain). Fabio Silva was (is) a very talented young Portuguese striker especially at the youth level and he joined Wolves for 40M (!?!) after scoring 1 goal in 12 games for Porto (at the ripe age of 17 years old).

Now if pull out my tin foil hat here for a second and do the mathematics it comes to something like this.....

17 year old Fabio Silva scores 1 goal in 12 gams for Porto in the 6th best league in the world (at the time now we are 7th....dam you Ajax) = or is the same as Sesko scored 11 goals in 37 games for the best team of the 12th ranked league in the world. I feel that is a very fair evaluation and Silva cost Wolves 40M and you see how he performed in England for Wolves.

Now I am in no way saying that Sesko or Silva are bad players because they are both 19 and 20 respectfully and are still developing but what I am pointing out is that if United pay 60M for Sesko they are out of their mind as he is not worth that at the moment.

Fabio Silva just got loaned to Anderlecht who plays in the 13th best league in the world right behind Austria and has 2 goals in 3 games so far, if he hits 25 is he worth 60M?
Glad someone is talking sense. Fans are so desperate that they want to see some shiny new toy asap.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Glad someone is talking sense. Fans are so desperate that they want to see some shiny new toy asap.
But will turn on him come March next season.

60million is crazy money considering a more polished Haaland was only 55m albeit a release clause. But most will forget about the release clause and focus on the 60m. The pressure will break the kid.
RM paid what was considered crazy money for Vinícius. And it took him a couple of seasons before even getting up to speed -- surrounded by an exponentially more talented squad.

SportingCP96

Supports
But will turn on him come March next season.

60million is crazy money considering a more polished Haaland was only 55m albeit a release clause. But most will forget about the release clause and focus on the 60m. The pressure will break the kid.
Its not even just the pressure....this kid does not look a 60M player. I don't even know where this figure is coming for in a kid with no resume to back it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He was 18. Comparing that to a 26 year old.

When you are looking at someone who is 19 years old you have to focus on everything other than stats at that point. It’s not his fault he’s so young. You have to scout him and does he pass the visual test. Does he seem to have attributes that would be valuable. Everything he has right now has the potential to grow massively. Some young players you have to see do they have the X-factor and likely to go far. Young players are always a gamble.

If we base it just on him scoring 11 goals in the league last season, that means nothing for a 19 year old who wasn’t playing every game.

When Rooney arrived at Utd, most would agree he was electric from his first season. You could see he was going to go to the top. However, if you just looked at the fact he only scored 11 premier league goals in his first season it doesn’t look as impressive. In fact, in his first 5 seasons at Utd he scored 11, 16, 14, 12, 12 league goals respectively. We all know he offered a lot more than his goal tally suggested.
Again I’d say there’s quite a difference between PL and Austrian league, so I am not sure using Rooney numbers would be good examples here.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
So its 60M is it?

My issue with the fees is if you spend 60M on a striker you need to expect a return and a good one at that and I don't think Sesko will offer that right now. Lets go on the basis that the Austrian league is very poor (12th in the world), the lad plays for the "PSG" of Austria (Salzburg) and scored a whopping 11 goals. It's not like the lad is Erling Haaland from Salzburgs with 28 goals in 27 games. He has 11 goals in 37 games for the Austrian powerhouse.

17 year old Fabio Silva (2 years younger then Sesko) scores 1 goal in 12 gams for Porto in the 6th best league in the world (at the time now we are 7th....dam you Ajax) = or is the same as 19 year old Sesko scored 11 goals in 37 games for the best team of the 12th ranked league in the world. I feel that is a very fair evaluation and Silva cost Wolves 40M and you see how he performed in England for Wolves.

Really good post, I still want him though. I can see what the scouts and manager probably sees : a player with real potential to thrive in any league (including the CL) if he’s given minutes and aggressive backing. The price is crazy but there seem to be more than us interested at that kind of price? He must just be about to be really good.

Wing Attack Plan R

So its 60M is it?

Good post. It's basically closing time at the bar and United are desperately looking around for anyone to go home with. Desperate buys right before the start of the season are not that far off from trying to find your future wife as the lights go on down at the disco.

Dr. StrangeHate

The price started with £30 mil, then went to 48 mil euros, then went to £48 mil. Now it is 60 mil euros, logical next step is £60 mil.

Last edited:

Marcus

Tall, powerful, good technique for a big player. Similarities to Haland i suppose...
I think United are looking for a Haller rather than a Haaland which seems to be important for the style of play ETH wants to implement.

Wing Attack Plan R

I'm not sure there are loads of compelling options. Who would we nail our colours to the mast and think they're going to score lots of goals for us for sure?

I'm sure this kid can "do a job." Is he going to score 20 PL goals...not a chance. Doubtful even 15. 10 would be good. But he'll be an option that can provide something and he has massive upside. Spending 60 million on someone that's just okay, squad filler, wouldn't be a good long term plan.
I'd rather play without a 9, even if it's a false 9, than pin our hopes to a kid from the Austrian league. His numbers aren't that impressive. Mitrovic and Solanke wouldn't even go for £60M, and they were top scorers in the Championship. Mitrovic went for £22M, and Solanke went for £19M. Signing Sesko for £60M is fecking madness.

Dr. StrangeHate

I'd rather play without a 9, even if it's a false 9, than pin our hopes to a kid from the Austrian league. His numbers aren't that impressive. Mitrovic and Solanke wouldn't even go for £60M, and they were top scorers in the Championship. Mitrovic went for £22M, and Solanke went for £19M. Signing Sesko for £60M is fecking madness.
60 is a fake number from some journalists a** I am sure.

OmarUnited4ever

Where is the £60M reports coming from, I haven't seen those, the one earlier in the week mentioned £50M, was there other reliable reports that said RB Salzburg would demand £60M for Sesko?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Are you saying Fred still has a chance? :lol:

j/k. I love that crazy fecker.
Tbf if I was Fred I would insist on having it in the clause. Increases my chances of going to United. Plus great for ones confidence.
Fred is an underappreciated player within the squad. Good character to have in the squad too.

Status
Not open for further replies.