Benjamin Sesko | Salzburg | Leipzig

Hammondo

Has he been any good? Don't think he even starts for (a fairly weak) Leipzig team right?

All I've heard about re: Leipzig was that Xavi Simmons has apparently been good.
He only started after a lot of injuries, he's struggled overall.

JohnnyLaw

Quite some start against Leverkusen today. Shhould’ve scored twice and had a big part in the opener.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
More the profile we need than Hojlund, who I maintain was targeted largely due to the success of Haaland. Often happens when a striker excels then that becomes the profile to look for. The thing is, even Haaland himself would not been targeted by City had he not been an exception in terms of scoring. Haaland is tolerated by Guardiola as opposed to him being his ideal template I believe. Similarly with Kyle Walker. The purist in Pep would much rather Cancelo than Walker, but Walker is effectively a cheat code and so Pep lives with him.

Sesko is more a United striker than Hojlund for me, certainly in terms of profile. The most ideal striker we could get is the very best version of Anthony Martial. A 6ft player with speed, hold up play, finishing ability but also supreme technique who can conjur individual magic and dribble and also link with his fellow forwards at the highest level. Sesko is more that sort of player I feel, although it is of course to be determined what level he will end up at.

L1nk

More the profile we need than Hojlund, who I maintain was targeted largely due to the success of Haaland. Often happens when a striker excels then that becomes the profile to look for. The thing is, even Haaland himself would not been targeted by City had he not been an exception in terms of scoring. Haaland is tolerated by Guardiola as opposed to him being his ideal template I believe. Similarly with Kyle Walker. The purist in Pep would much rather Cancelo than Walker, but Walker is effectively a cheat code and so Pep lives with him.

Sesko is more a United striker than Hojlund for me, certainly in terms of profile. The most ideal striker we could get is the very best version of Anthony Martial. A 6ft player with speed, hold up play, finishing ability but also supreme technique who can conjur individual magic and dribble and also link with his fellow forwards at the highest level. Sesko is more that sort of player I feel, although it is of course to be determined what level he will end up at.
In what way is Sesko more the profile than Hojlund? They are roughly the same height with Sesko only cm taller, Hojlund is way quicker, also had a way better goals to games ratio when they both played in the same league, infact he helped Sturm Graz smash Salzburg when they were both on the pitch against each other. They have the same amount of goals each season too. Sesko is nothing like Antony Martial and is actually more like Hojlund in terms of profile. The fact that you think Hojlund only came to prominece because he's scandinavian and shares a similar name to Haaland is crazy.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
In what way is Sesko more the profile than Hojlund? They are roughly the same height with Sesko only cm taller, Hojlund is way quicker, also had a way better goals to games ratio when they both played in the same league, infact he helped Sturm Graz smash Salzburg when they were both on the pitch against each other. They have the same amount of goals each season too. Sesko is nothing like Antony Martial and is actually more like Hojlund in terms of profile. The fact that you think Hojlund only came to prominece because he's scandinavian and shares a similar name to Haaland is crazy.
Neither have proven to be very good right now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Your post didn’t really need to be any longer than the very first line, unless of course you preferred to answer the question yourself.

Sesko is technically better to me and better at dropping deep and linking. Hojlund is a shoulder player who requires ‘service’. I don’t see him as having the ability to join in and play to a good enough standard in deeper areas.

As for the Haaland comparison, it is again a case of a striker who is not like the striker I mentioned in the paragraph above (or in my actual initial post). Prior to Haaland’s emergence, the consensus on here was that the striker needed to be more of an all-rounder.

Also, please miss me with the stat overload. I made it clear in my initial post that I was referring to profile and said that it remains unclear as to what level he will reach.

criticalanalysis

Your post didn’t really need to be any longer than the very first line, unless of course you preferred to answer the question yourself.

Sesko is technically better to me and better at dropping deep and linking. Hojlund is a shoulder player who requires ‘service’. I don’t see him as having the ability to join in and play to a good enough standard in deeper areas.

As for the Haaland comparison, it is again a case of a striker who is not like the striker I mentioned in the paragraph above (or in my actual initial post). Prior to Haaland’s emergence, the consensus on here was that the striker needed to be more of an all-rounder.

Also, please miss me with the stat overload. I made it clear in my initial post that I was referring to profile and said that it remains unclear as to what level he will reach.
Is Sesko really that much better as a playmaker that you think he would find the same time, space and usage on the ball he is now/has before compared to what Hojlund has had so far in the Premier League i.e extremely minimal? I'm genuinely asking because I've not seem much of him outside of some highlights.

Outside of inexperience and of course proven goal scoring, which both players share, Hojlund biggest weaknesses for me are aerial duels, back to goal hold up play and inconsistent technique. However, generally speaking whenever he has the ball in decent space (i.e not fighting a long ball or with a defender breathing down his neck), his all around play is quite mature. Simple but effective. He's not dictating play but he usually gets the ball out of his feet and makes progressive plays. Time and time again he has laid the ball out to Rashford, Garnacho and others only to receive it back maybe once out of ten times.

I'm not sure you've been watching him properly because he doesn't look like someone, who is just hanging off a defender's shoulder and waiting for service. On the one hand, he does at time seem quite uninvolved and I would criticise him for not looking to do that more but at the same time, his service has been absolutely abysmal. Put Sesko in this situation and he would be just as bad because there's no way he's going to get on the ball enough to shine. Nobody in this team is shining.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Looking at the young Cf market feels like Isak is one we really should have gotten. Him and Hojlund would have been a strong young strike force. Based on the clips Sesko looks better on the ball than Hojlund - no idea about his end product and all. Ideally we’d have a more ready / less expensive striker but if that’s not available two high potential talents will do.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He seems to have quick feet and more talent with the ball at feet like Isak of Newcastle. Not seen enough of the rest to say he would have been better for us.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He's definitely more comfortable on the ball than hojlund.

It's not necessarily a negative on hojlund's part obviously, diffrent players diffrent strengths etc etc.

YikesSchmeics

Saw him in person last year and was highly unimpressed with him to be honest. Only one game I know, but he had absolutely no impact on the game in any capacity.

slored1

As a Slovenian I can say he needs at least 3-4 years before we should consider him. Right now he's a midtable Bundesliga quality striker.