Benoît Badiashile

iHicksy

How does their spending not break FFP? Serious question. They don't generate this much revenue and i don't recall them selling any players for good money?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Chelsea have been trading off higher wages for longer contracts, its clearly a Boehly strategy. They gave Fofana a long contract on 200k per week, which is a huge number for a defender. James also recently signed a long deal for very big money for a defensive player.

Pros and cons to this strategy. You gain a lot more control of the player and if wages continue to rise steeply these numbers may not look so high in 3-4 years. On the other hand, if the player doesn't work out it becomes very hard to get rid as nobody wants to pay the wages and there is really no guarantee that we will continue to see wages continue to rise on the same trajectory, especially given slowdowns in the growth of TV revenue even in the PL.

SATA

What? Didn’t they just bought Fofana and the former Napoli lad from Senegal in this summer window? Are Chelsea stockpiling players so that no else could buy them :lol:

BerryBerryShrew

Chelsea have been trading off higher wages for longer contracts, its clearly a Boehly strategy. They gave Fofana a long contract on 200k per week, which is a huge number for a defender. James also recently signed a long deal for very big money for a defensive player.

Pros and cons to this strategy. You gain a lot more control of the player and if wages continue to rise steeply these numbers may not look so high in 3-4 years. On the other hand, if the player doesn't work out it becomes very hard to get rid as nobody wants to pay the wages and there is really no guarantee that we will continue to see wages continue to rise on the same trajectory, especially given slowdowns in the growth of TV revenue even in the PL.
The thing is that if wages continue to rise so that in 4 years (of a 7 year contract) Fofana seems underpaid at 200k per week, the player isn't going to just meekly accept that- he's going to demand an increase. It's a nice idea in theory but once again Toddy should really have wondered why no other clubs have thought to do this before.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What? Didn’t they just bought Fofana and the former Napoli lad from Senegal in this summer window? Are Chelsea stockpiling players so that no else could buy them :lol:
He's made of MDF, seems to constantly get injured.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
The thing is that if wages continue to rise so that in 4 years (of a 7 year contract) Fofana seems underpaid at 200k per week, the player isn't going to just meekly accept that- he's going to demand an increase. It's a nice idea in theory but once again Toddy should really have wondered why no other clubs have thought to do this before.
Good point. If Fofana plays well, he'll get another contract after year 3 or something. If he doesn't work out due to poor play or constant injuries, he'll keep making 200k per week and it will be tricky to shift him.

TheReligion

Abusive

They still gave 300k per week to Koulibaly and over 300k pw to Sterling. Imagine Aubamayang is on the same.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Boehly over here giving baseball contracts out :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How does their spending not break FFP? Serious question. They don't generate this much revenue and i don't recall them selling any players for good money?
because they're spreading the money across 7.5 years.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Yeah they did but they lost Rüdiger and Christensen. Silva is old and Azpi is over the hill.

A CB group of Koulibaly, Badiashile, Fofana, Chalobah, Silva and Colwill is not over the top at all, especially considering Silva’s age and Fofana’s injury record.

Overall they handled the situation poorly, but they are trying to put it right. Nothing wrong with that imo.

ChrisNelson

I had to do a double take when I saw the 7.5 year contract! I've never heard of one that long before, surely that's not going to become the norm is it?

Infra-red

I had to do a double take when I saw the 7.5 year contract! I've never heard of one that long before, surely that's not going to become the norm is it?
It already is the norm... for Chelsea. It gets them around the immediate problem of FFP, but potentially creates a lot of difficulty further down the road.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
2030, that's a whole career wtf

Steve 007

I can’t believe this player has signed for 7.5 years. That’s mental, if he makes it as a top centre back he’s no room to negotiate a new contract or to move to another club if he’s not playing or unhappy. What's big money now in football is nothing in 7 years.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
everyone is moaning at bohely but he’s at least structured benoit’s wages so that they’re heavily incentivised and the only way he gets the full 450k per week is if he doesn’t concede any home runs.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
everyone is moaning at bohely but he’s at least structured benoit’s wages so that they’re heavily incentivised and the only way he gets the full 450k per week is if he doesn’t concede any home runs.
:lol: