Benzema’s Criminal Case

Oranges038

It's taken 6 years to come to that poxy verdict? Ah to be rich.
Well this is the same judicial system that sentenced a man in absentia to 25 years in jail for a crime he wasn't convicted of in another country. A full 22 years after it actually happened.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you have money, you can also hire experts with knowledge of said safeguards.
Of course but the key is to have knowledge and time, money won't help you much if you don't have knowledge and time. A lot of the very lengthy cases don't come from people that are particularly wealthy, you just have to look at ECJ cases.

kthanksbye

you don't go to jail, unless you commit another crime during your suspended-jail time sentence.
He doesn't see the inside of a prison cell...and not be naughty during that timeframe.

It means that you don't go to prison but will if you commit certain felonies or crimes.
So basically he pays the fine and goes to jail only if he commits another crime, so pretty much like the rest of the world. Farcical really.

RUCK4444

Absolute joke how celebrities avoid prison time and again.

You literally need a 4k video of a celebrity committing murder before they are ever in real jeopardy.

JPRouve

Scout
So basically he pays the fine and goes to jail only if he commits another crime, so pretty much like the rest of the world. Farcical really.
Yeah, keep in mind that he isn't the blackmailer, he is friend with them and allegedly told Valbuena that it would be easier if he paid them. I have no idea about similar precedents and the type of sentence but I doubt that you would get a prison sentence.

kthanksbye

Yeah, keep in mind that he isn't the blackmailer, he is friend with them and allegedly told Valbuena that it would be easier if he paid them. I have no idea about similar precedents and the type of sentence but I doubt that you would get a prison sentence.
Oh I didn't know that. Was that what really happened or was that how his lawyers saved him?

Drifter

American
Sickens me how the rich, or well-connected , get away with this,

JPRouve

Scout
Oh I didn't know that. Was that what really happened or was that how his lawyers saved him?
If I'm not mistaken that's what the justicce got and why he was judged as an accomplice. The other three got 2.5 years, 2 years and 1.5 year.

kthanksbye

If I'm not mistaken that's what the justicce got and why he was judged as an accomplice. The other three got 2.5 years, 2 years and 1.5 year.
Yup, that's convenient.
Interesting that his lawyers accepted that sentence then, if he merely advised Valbuena to pay the blackmailers. If he hasn't committed a crime, why even accept a suspended jail term.

JPRouve

Scout
Yup, that's convenient.
Interesting that his lawyers accepted that sentence then, if he merely advised Valbuena to pay the blackmailers. If he hasn't committed a crime, why even accept a suspended jail term.
They didn't, he appealed.

padzilla

Hipster
Surely to God he’s going to be dropped by the French squad and Real Madrid after being found guilty. What an absolute scumbag.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
From the sounds of it and from what the judge said, Benzema has been caught bang to rights here.
He was complicit in this and really should get reprimanded by Real and France Football federation.

The evidence really doesn't look good for him, can't see how he'll wriggle out on appeal.

A-man

Surely to God he’s going to be dropped by the French squad and Real Madrid after being found guilty. What an absolute scumbag.
Doubt it. Both Messi and Ronaldo were found guilty for crimes and both still play for clubs and countries.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

He's not friends with the blackmailers, he's friend with Zenati who was contacted by the blackmailers.

Not gonna happen.
Also this is an extremely minor crime. We'd play with 6 men on the pitch if we started dropping players for criminal offenses.

JPRouve

Scout
Didn't France drop him for a long time and he was only recently recalled?
He was eligible relatively quickly but he decided to target Deschamps during that time when Deschamps was one of the few people to publcily support his right for a fair trial, then someone tagged Deschamps' house calling him racist and it was over for Benzema. Benzema and Valbuena have been eligible since October 2016.

The FFF president essentially said that Benzema has been sanctioned by justice and that it's not his role to add to it.

JPRouve

Scout
Justice works in funny ways. A man who slapped Macron had the fastest trial ever. If you have good (expensive) lawyers, things can go extremely fast or slow
If I'm not mistaken he was handled by the police tribunal which is very quick and is meant for that type of offence. The blackmail case was handled by a criminal court which is a lot slower and lead to higher sentences.

padzilla

Hipster
Haha no, played the full 90 minutes tonight.
Just goes to show you can do whatever the hell you want when you're an elite-level footballer.
Sad to see morality is a long way down the list of priorities for clubs and organisations.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Just goes to show you can do whatever the hell you want when you're an elite-level footballer.
Sad to see morality is a long way down the list of priorities for clubs and organisations.
He got droppped for years and missed a world cup win for France because of this so he certainly paid a price in terms of his legacy.

padzilla

Hipster
He got droppped for years and missed a world cup win for France because of this so he certainly paid a price in terms of his legacy.
Odd how he was dropped when facing charges but his recall just happened to coincide with his form improving - now that he's been found guilty he isn't being dropped as his form is still fantastic.
Have I left anything out?

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Odd how he was dropped when facing charges but his recall just happened to coincide with his form improving - now that he's been found guilty he isn't being dropped as his form is still fantastic.
Have you been living under a rock? What form improving? He's been putting up the same numbers for the past 4 seasons.

duffer

Scout
Dunno about leaving anything out but you've totally made up that he got recalled because his form improved.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
So was Benzema involved in blackmailing Valbuena?
Or he just advised Valbuena to pay the blackmailers. Sorry I am getting what exactly he did. If it is the former, he should be punished. If it is the latter, I don't see how he is wrong, although legally it can be seen as a obstruction of justice, but I think most of the people advise the same as he did.

Sorry I am not so clear about the status of this case, so if I wrote anything wrong, apologies.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

Or he just advised Valbuena to pay the blackmailers. Sorry I am getting what exactly he did. If it is the former, he should be punished. If it is the latter, I don't see how he is wrong, although legally it can be seen as a obstruction of justice, but I think most of the people advise the same as he did.

Sorry I am not so clear about the status of this case, so if I wrote anything wrong, apologies.
Short rundown of the story

-Valbuena hands over his broken phone to Axel Angot so he can retrieve his personal data

-Axel Angot founds the sextape in the phone's data, together with a friend of his Mustapha Zaoui, they try to get in contact with Valbuena, telling him they want to find an arrangement (clearly blackmail but they never directly asked for money which is why at their trial they made up some story about wanting to get involved as business partners with him)

-Valbuena calls the cops and they send someone to act as an intermediary between him and the blackmailers

-The blackmailers can't get anywhere with intermediary so they try get into contact with someone who personally knows Valbuena

-They contact Karim Zenati a known mafioso (went to prison for robbery,drug dealing) as they know he is a childhood friend of Benzema from the same neighborhood

-Zenati then gets into contact with Benzema and asks him to speak to Valbuena about the video and how "serious" the people who got the tape are about releasing it

-Benzema speaks to Valbuena and tells him if he doesn't care he should let them release the video and if he does then he can put him in contact with Zenati

duffer

Scout

If I was getting blackmailed and told you about it, and you then said "just pay them, you don't need the hassle" then you have not committed a crime or done anything morally wrong.

If I was getting blackmailed, didn't tell you anything about it but you came to me (on behalf of the blackmailers) suggesting I pay up or else, you're committing a crime.

Apparently one of the blackmaillers is a childhood friend of Benzema.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
By talking to Valbuena on behalf of a friend of his acting on behalf of the blackmailers, he became an accomplice, is what i got

Foxbatt

By talking to Valbuena on behalf of a friend of his acting on behalf of the blackmailers, he became an accomplice, is what i got
yes and that what he has maintained all along. The other question is how much were they demanding from Valbuena? Surely Benzema is also rich enough not to get involved with peanuts by his standards?

BalanceUnAutreJoint

yes and that what he has maintained all along. The other question is how much were they demanding from Valbuena? Surely Benzema is also rich enough not to get involved with peanuts by his standards?
No one knows how much they would have demanded because they did not specify any sum. Hence why at the trial they said it was all a plan to "get in contact with Valbuena and get involved with him as business partners" as they had a luxury cushions business going on.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
Short rundown of the story

-Valbuena hands over his broken phone to Axel Angot so he can retrieve his personal data

-Axel Angot founds the sextape in the phone's data, together with a friend of his Mustapha Zaoui, they try to get in contact with Valbuena, telling him they want to find an arrangement (clearly blackmail but they never directly asked for money which is why at their trial they made up some story about wanting to get involved as business partners with him)

-Valbuena calls the cops and they send someone to act as an intermediary between him and the blackmailers

-The blackmailers can't get anywhere with intermediary so they try get into contact with someone who personally knows Valbuena

-They contact Karim Zenati a known mafioso (went to prison for robbery,drug dealing) as they know he is a childhood friend of Benzema from the same neighborhood

-Zenati then gets into contact with Benzema and asks him to speak to Valbuena about the video and how "serious" the people who got the tape are about releasing it

-Benzema speaks to Valbuena and tells him if he doesn't care he should let them release the video and if he does then he can put him in contact with Zenati
Assuming that is an accurate account of events, Benzema doesn’t appear to have acted maliciously. More naive perhaps?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Assuming that is an accurate account of events, Benzema doesn’t appear to have acted maliciously. More naive perhaps?
Yep, very thick. But I'm sure it appeals to his ego to have the connection with Zenati (and presumably other gangsters) and it makes you wonder whether this is the only time he's done something daft.

duffer

Scout

BalanceUnAutreJoint

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yep, very thick. But I'm sure it appeals to his ego to have the connection with Zenati (and presumably other gangsters) and it makes you wonder whether this is the only time he's done something daft.
Zenati and Benzema are literally childhood best friends

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He's talking to Zenati here. Zenati isn't one of the blackmailer either. He's an intermediary.
Intermediary in blackmail is still a blackmailer. It's not like he's doing it for free out of the goodness of his heart (I can believe that for Benzema but he still got involved).

JPRouve

Scout
Benzema comes from the same place these "gangsters" come from, it has nothing to do with his ego it's the people he grew up with.