Benzema Arrested

Oranges038

It's taken 6 years to come to that poxy verdict? Ah to be rich.
Well this is the same judicial system that sentenced a man in absentia to 25 years in jail for a crime he wasn't convicted of in another country. A full 22 years after it actually happened.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If you have money, you can also hire experts with knowledge of said safeguards.
Of course but the key is to have knowledge and time, money won't help you much if you don't have knowledge and time. A lot of the very lengthy cases don't come from people that are particularly wealthy, you just have to look at ECJ cases.

kthanksbye

you don't go to jail, unless you commit another crime during your suspended-jail time sentence.
He doesn't see the inside of a prison cell...and not be naughty during that timeframe.

It means that you don't go to prison but will if you commit certain felonies or crimes.
So basically he pays the fine and goes to jail only if he commits another crime, so pretty much like the rest of the world. Farcical really.

RUCK4444

Absolute joke how celebrities avoid prison time and again.

You literally need a 4k video of a celebrity committing murder before they are ever in real jeopardy.

JPRouve

Scout
So basically he pays the fine and goes to jail only if he commits another crime, so pretty much like the rest of the world. Farcical really.
Yeah, keep in mind that he isn't the blackmailer, he is friend with them and allegedly told Valbuena that it would be easier if he paid them. I have no idea about similar precedents and the type of sentence but I doubt that you would get a prison sentence.

kthanksbye

Yeah, keep in mind that he isn't the blackmailer, he is friend with them and allegedly told Valbuena that it would be easier if he paid them. I have no idea about similar precedents and the type of sentence but I doubt that you would get a prison sentence.
Oh I didn't know that. Was that what really happened or was that how his lawyers saved him?

JPRouve

Scout
Oh I didn't know that. Was that what really happened or was that how his lawyers saved him?
If I'm not mistaken that's what the justicce got and why he was judged as an accomplice. The other three got 2.5 years, 2 years and 1.5 year.

kthanksbye

If I'm not mistaken that's what the justicce got and why he was judged as an accomplice. The other three got 2.5 years, 2 years and 1.5 year.
Yup, that's convenient.
Interesting that his lawyers accepted that sentence then, if he merely advised Valbuena to pay the blackmailers. If he hasn't committed a crime, why even accept a suspended jail term.

JPRouve

Scout
Yup, that's convenient.
Interesting that his lawyers accepted that sentence then, if he merely advised Valbuena to pay the blackmailers. If he hasn't committed a crime, why even accept a suspended jail term.
They didn't, he appealed.

padzilla

Hipster
Surely to God he’s going to be dropped by the French squad and Real Madrid after being found guilty. What an absolute scumbag.

Champ

From the sounds of it and from what the judge said, Benzema has been caught bang to rights here.
He was complicit in this and really should get reprimanded by Real and France Football federation.

The evidence really doesn't look good for him, can't see how he'll wriggle out on appeal.

A-man

Surely to God he’s going to be dropped by the French squad and Real Madrid after being found guilty. What an absolute scumbag.
Doubt it. Both Messi and Ronaldo were found guilty for crimes and both still play for clubs and countries.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

He's not friends with the blackmailers, he's friend with Zenati who was contacted by the blackmailers.

Not gonna happen.
Also this is an extremely minor crime. We'd play with 6 men on the pitch if we started dropping players for criminal offenses.

JPRouve

Scout
Didn't France drop him for a long time and he was only recently recalled?
He was eligible relatively quickly but he decided to target Deschamps during that time when Deschamps was one of the few people to publcily support his right for a fair trial, then someone tagged Deschamps' house calling him racist and it was over for Benzema. Benzema and Valbuena have been eligible since October 2016.

The FFF president essentially said that Benzema has been sanctioned by justice and that it's not his role to add to it.

JPRouve

Scout
Justice works in funny ways. A man who slapped Macron had the fastest trial ever. If you have good (expensive) lawyers, things can go extremely fast or slow
If I'm not mistaken he was handled by the police tribunal which is very quick and is meant for that type of offence. The blackmail case was handled by a criminal court which is a lot slower and lead to higher sentences.