Benzema back in France squad for the Euros, as per reports…..

Nori-

It's a rubbish situation for him in my opinion.

He's been treated awfully by the FFF. Should have been called up years ago and it's meant he's lost out on his best years of football at International level.

If he goes back, they can argue, well look we did eventually let him back it was nothing personal.

If he refuses for how he has been treated in the last few years, they will say, well we did invite him to play and he refused, what more can we do?

Personally I'd tell them to stick it.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

He's been treated awfully by the FFF. Should have been called up years ago and it's meant he's lost out on his best years of football at International level.

If he goes back, they can argue, well look we did eventually let him back it was nothing personal.

If he refuses for how he has been treated in the last few years, they will say, well we did invite him to play and he refused, what more can we do?

Winning the Euro is going to put all of that in the rear view mirror. :cool:

Jerzol78

Its not about performances. Deschamps just said he was supposed to be called up but his fitness level doesnt allow it
Then I'm not sure Tolisso should be called up either. He's played less than 30 mins in Bayern since February.

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I don't understand the gushing over Benzema. He's a quality striker, but never left any form of impression that warants turning on the TV for a Real game. He was the guy standing next to Ronaldo while he won them stuff to me.

I'm sure that's slightly underrating him, but eh.
Benzema scored almost 200 goals & had multiple seasons scoring 20+ goals even as a 3rd wheel behind Cristiano and Bale. He also contributed 25 UCL-goals in 50 games during 2014-2018 when Real Madrid won UCL. The idea Benzema was "carried" by his fellow teammates is false, especially after what he's done when CR7 left. Also, Benzema is ridiculously skilled. Maybe you never paid enough attention to him?

Benzema is bsically 2009-2012 version of Wayne Rooney, except the former actually won trophys as the main man with a worse supporting cast.

Benzema has equipe de France on Twitter in his info box. Not sure if that was there before, but seems nailed on to me
As someone who follows Benzema's tweets daily, he always had that tag

The rumour was that Deschamps expected an apology from Benzema, in private. If they have talked in the last months, it's perfectly possible that the problem is fixed.
You could also argue Benzema was finally selected again is due to just how bad most of France's forwards have been since that World Cup triumph. Deschamps cannot afford to not select Benzema anymore. Here are some stats from Transfermarkt, comparing Benzema's stats to other France forwards (mainly the ones who play or have played as strikers) post-2018 World Cup.

Stats for clubs since after the 2018 FIFA World Cup

- Karim Benzema: 86 goals in 146 games (0.59 goals per game)
- Wissam Ben Yedder: 71 goals in 124 games (0.57 GPG)
- Antoine Griezmann: 55 goals in 146 games (0.38 GPG)
- Anthony Martial: 42 goals in 122 games (0.34 GPG)
- Olivier Giroud: 34 goals in 99 games (0.34 GPG)

Stats for France since after the 2018 FIFA World Cup

- Olivier Giroud: 13 goals in 26 games (0.5 GPG)
- Antoine Griezmann: 11 goals in 28 games (0.39 GPG)
- Wissam Ben Yedder: 2 goals in 11 games (0.18 GPG)
- Anthony Martial: 0 goals in 9 games (0 GPG)

Stats for club and country since after the 2018 FIFA World Cup

- Wissam Ben Yedder: 73 goals in 135 games (0.54 GPG)
- Antoine Griezmann: 66 goals in 176 games (0.37 GPG)
- Olivier Giroud: 47 goals in 125 games (0.38 GPG)
- Anthony Martial: 42 goals in 131 games (0.32 GPG)

As you can see from these lists, Benzema outscored ALL of them, even though all of them played multiple games for France in the past 3 years.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Benzema scored almost 200 goals & had multiple seasons scoring 20+ goals even as a 3rd wheel behind Cristiano and Bale. He also contributed 25 UCL-goals in 50 games during 2014-2018 when Real Madrid won UCL. The idea Benzema was "carried" by his fellow teammates is false, especially after what he's done when CR7 left. Also, Benzema is ridiculously skilled. Maybe you never paid enough attention to him?

Benzema is bsically 2009-2012 version of Wayne Rooney, except the former actually won trophys as the main man with a worse supporting cast.

You could also argue Benzema was finally selected again is due to just how bad most of France's forwards have been since that World Cup triumph. Deschamps cannot afford to not select Benzema anymore. Here are some stats from Transfermarkt, comparing Benzema's stats to other France forwards (mainly the ones who play or have played as strikers) post-2018 World Cup.

As you can see from these lists, Benzema outscored ALL of them, even though all of them played multiple games for France in the past 3 years.
You couldn't make that argument because Benzema not being selected had nothing to do with club performances. Also 0.5 goals/game for Giroud is a pretty good ratio at international level, Benzema's ratio for France is 0.33, Henry's is 0.41. Ben Yedder isn't a starter, he has played the equivalent of 5 games since the WC and the same for Martial. But again the question was never about performances anyway.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Where's Mbappe in that list?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
France were favorites even without him and he's been class for Real this season. They're two deep at every position that even their B team could make the last 8.

JPRouve

Scout
Where's Mbappe in that list?
He probably didn't consider him as a striker even though he played more as a striker for France than all the players mentioned, outside of Giroud.

JPRouve

Scout

It's his own actions that put him in that situation, first with the Valbuena scandal and then by targetting the one person that was publically defending his right for a fair treatment. Benzema and Valbuena were unavailable during the first weeks of the scandal but both were availabe after that and the FFF made it clear, so to say that he has been treated awfully is pretty strange.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
How is his standing in the squad? He came across awful in the Valbuena blackmail scandal, surely he's not the most liked in the team.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United

Why would FFF care? They won the world cup with out him. Dominated. They don't owe anybody any explanation.

They were probably like, " You missed out on the world cup. You have suffered enough, Karim. Come back and win the Euros. From the bench"

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Are you serious?

0.5 GPG and 0.39 GPG it's a really good ratio for National Team.
Ben Yedder and Martial have been mostly sh*t for France, but Griezmann and Giroud were almost always good, either scoring or assisting.

Furthermore Benzema is most likely benching Giroud, not Griezmann btw.

AgentSmith

What’s France’s tactical set up at the moment? Are they still operating with the 4-2-3-1 system with a CM in that LM role to help support Pogba and Kante?

Either way Benzema is a fantastic addition to probably already the strongest team in the Euros. Seems the perfect CF to help Griezmann and Mbappe.

Blackwidow

Then I'm not sure Tolisso should be called up either. He's played less than 30 mins in Bayern since February.
He was injured - but just came back and played 30 minutes on Saturday. But he was a staple in the team before his injury and actually played well for France - better than he played for Bayern since his knee injury.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
How is his standing in the squad? He came across awful in the Valbuena blackmail scandal, surely he's not the most liked in the team.
I can only see Lloris as the captain and Giroud not liking his comeback. All the youngs guys, Griezman, Pogba etc.. like him.
I hope it goes well and the front 3 clicks rapidly. Giroud is going to get even more abuse which is sad for his last tournament and everything he's done.

On paper we're definitely favourites to win it but any drama will probably kill this team. Just wait for the first friendly where Benzema starts and doesn't sing the anthem, it will all start again...

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I can only see Lloris as the captain and Giroud not liking his comeback. All the youngs guys, Griezman, Pogba etc.. like him.
I hope it goes well and the front 3 clicks rapidly. Giroud is going to get even more abuse which is sad for his last tournament and everything he's done.

On paper we're definitely favourites to win it but any drama will probably kill this team. Just wait for the first friendly where Benzema starts and doesn't sing the anthem, it will all start again...
Ahh so it's not exclusively a German thing to have public debates about this? :lol:
Yikes, I thought other countries had better priorities.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Ahh so it's not exclusively a German thing to have public debates about this? :lol:
Yikes, I thought other countries had better priorities.
We all have our own lovely racists politicians. :D

Drygon

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
You couldn't make that argument because Benzema not being selected had nothing to do with club performances.
Noel Le Graet (FFP President) told Benzema he'd be called up for Euro 2016 despite of what happened. Even Deschamps consistently spoke positive words about Benzema up until he announced his Euro 2016 squad. I do think pressure from French politicians (Le Pen, Manuel Valls etc.) forced La Graet & Deschamps to reconsider their view on Benzema playing in Euro 2016…

Benzema had the worst season of his career in 2017-18 season, this was understandable why he wasn't part of France's 2018 WC squad.

France were favorites even without him and he's been class for Real this season. They're two deep at every position that even their B team could make the last 8.
Either way Benzema is a fantastic addition to probably already the strongest team in the Euros. Seems the perfect CF to help Griezmann and Mbappe.
France were never the clear-cut favorites without Benzema. England & Germany are on same level talent wise.

Benzema definitely raised France's ceiling as the biggest favorites to win Euro 2021.

Its a silly debate. No one cared when Platini or Zidane didn't sing it.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
Noel Le Graet (FFP President) told Benzema he'd be called up for Euro 2016 despite of what happened. Even Deschamps consistently spoke positive words about Benzema up until he announced his Euro 2016 squad. I do think pressure from French politicians (Le Pen, Manuel Valls etc.) forced La Graet & Deschamps to reconsider their view on Benzema playing in Euro 2016…

Benzema had the worst season of his career in 2017-18 season, this was understandable why he wasn't part of France's 2018 WC squad.
No, Le Graet said that Benzema wasn't eligible for the Euro and it was linked to the fact that he was being prosecuted and the FFF wanted to wait until they know the gravity of the situation. He became eligible in October if I recall correctly. And the reason Deschamps didn't select him has nothing to do with politicians, it's because Benzema made an interview where he claimed that Deschamps caved to racists when Deschamps was continuously defending him and Benzema knew exactly why he wasn't selected, following that interview people went to Deschamps's home when he wasn't around while his family was and they wrote Racist on his house. Deschamps took it badly and it soured his relationship with Benzema.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Need to see it again. I can't believe that was on purpose.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Insane touch. Brilliant forward, can't believe it took so long for him to come back into the squad. He's forever underrated but should go down as one of the best strikers.

izec

Dont think it was intentional. He put his leg out, but i dont think he meant the skill and to do it the way he did in the end

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
magical touch for the goal.

Vanrouge

Even though I'm not French or a Benzema fan, I want to believe that piece of skill was on purpose. I want to be able to know I was watching that live.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Benzema makes the team worse than the sum of its parts