Benzema mugs off Giroud for no reason - Instagram interview

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Let's be real. Giroud is a STRIKER and Benzema is more like an SS. And quite frankly the amount of goals he has scored last 10 years isn't that impressive when you have midfieldrs like Kroos and Modric providing you service.
Let's really be real. Someone who is first choice starter for that Real Madrid team for a decade is undoubtedly a fantastic striker.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Do people really think France would not have won if Benzema was in place of Giroud :lol: ?

Benzema does every Giroud can but better.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Do people really think France would not have won if Benzema was in place of Giroud :lol: ?

Benzema has generally be bad with France and Giroud has always outperformed him. So while Benzema is a far better player, it's not true with France.

flappyjay

Let's be real. Giroud is a STRIKER and Benzema is more like an SS. And quite frankly the amount of goals he has scored last 10 years isn't that impressive when you have midfieldrs like Kroos and Modric providing you service.
His job for most of the 10 years was to link the forwards. It's shows by the fact that he is Real Madrids all time assits record holder. For me Benzema and Giroud are about the same level in terms of center forward play. Where Benzema leaves Giroud for dust is the goal scoring category.

Untd55

You can't say for certain. What we can say is that France won the world cup with Giroud. That is all that matters.

amolbhatia50k

You can't say for certain. What we can say is that France won the world cup with Giroud. That is all that matters.
A lot else matters, to be fair. Like Benzema being 5 times the player Giroud can ever be.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His job for most of the 10 years was to link the forwards. It's shows by the fact that he is Real Madrids all time assits record holder. For me Benzema and Giroud are about the same level in terms of center forward play. Where Benzema leaves Giroud for dust is the goal scoring category.
They are absolutely nowhere near the same level :lol:

Benzema is the best forward in world football and has been in the conversation for many, many years. Giroud warms the bench for Chelsea and was an average striker for Arsenal.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think Giroud is decent centre forward; he links the play well, is good in the air and is not a bad goalscorer all-told. I'm not buying for a minute Giroud is in the France team based on his unique ability to play his role, Benzema but for politics and personal taste could do all Giroud does for that team and more.

flappyjay

Benzema is the best forward in world football and has been in the conversation for many, many years. Giroud warms the bench for Chelsea and was an average striker for Arsenal.
Player can be on the same level with another player on one ability but not on the same level overall. That's where Giroud is. He has amazing hold up play and is average at everything else. You denial of it clearly shows you haven't seen him play or have already decided he is a donkey hence you don't see his redeeming qualities.

Pace Abuser

Arsenal fans for years complained of Giroud standing around like a statue. Benzema is on a completely different level. One plays for one of the great club sides ever, the other one milked a donkey kick goal at 1 all in the 88th minute.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Player can be on the same level with another player on one ability but not on the same level overall. That's where Giroud is. He has amazing hold up play and is average at everything else. You denial of it clearly shows you haven't seen him play or have already decided he is a donkey hence you don't see his redeeming qualities.
Thats not what you said first, though. You said “the same level in terms of center forward play”. I never denied Giroud being good at holding the ball up. I denied him being the same level as Karim Benzema. Holding the ball up is not the only thing a centre forward does, far from it.

Righteous Steps

Benzema is more creative than them both.

Member 90887

So, they are the same level in terms of 'center forward play' while one has more assists (~170 vs ~90), and More goals (~340 vs ~240) than the other ?how does that compute ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Member 90887

Alright, Lets see :

Benzema : 340 goals (still playing)
Ruud : 361 goals
Henry : 411 Goals
Ronaldo (Brazil) : 358 Goals
Van persie : 324 Goals

I think that he's doing pretty well in terms of goals scored. Especially considering that he has more than 170 assists in his career.

He might be an a**hole but com'on, there's a reason Giroud is on Chelsea's bench while he is a consistent starter for Madrid since he got there.

It's like underrating Ryan Giggs's career because of what he did outside the pitch.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Benzema has generally be bad with France and Giroud has always outperformed him. So while Benzema is a far better player, it's not true with France.
That's not wrong, but let's not ignore the fact Giroud was shit in the world cup. A proper Guivarc'h level performance. Guivarc'h who also has a WC winner's medal, but was hardly an outstanding striker (despite his consistency at Auxerre).

JPRouve

Scout
That's not wrong, but let's not ignore the fact Giroud was shit in the world cup. A proper Guivarc'h level performance. Guivarc'h who also has a WC winner's medal, but was hardly an outstanding striker (despite his consistency at Auxerre).
It's actually the only reason why some are debating in favor of Benzema, it was the first time that Giroud wasn't a consistent goalscorer for France otherwise Giroud has been far more consistent than Benzema, who himself didn't score at the Euro in 2012.

flappyjay

So, they are the same level in terms of 'center forward play' while one has more assists (~170 vs ~90), and More goals (~340 vs ~240) than the other ?how does that compute ?
One has played alongside one the greatest goal scorers of all time in arguably the team of the decade. The other played most of his career with a top 4 team.

RyRoc

Benzema is clearly a more talented and better striker than Giroud, I don’t think that’s a big debate but I think there’s been some underrating of Giroud in this thread. He only started playing at the top level just over 10 years ago - he was the top goalscorer in ligue 1 for Montpellier when they remarkably won the league , a fantastic achievement .

He was decent for Arsenal , they finished in the top 4 5 out of the 6 seasons he was there, scored against all the top 6 clubs and scored and assists in finals.

For France he’s been excellent , the fact that he’s probably going to finish as second top scorer ever to Henry speaks for itself.

For someone with very a fairly limited skill set Giroud has made the very most of his talent.

amolbhatia50k

One has played alongside one the greatest goal scorers of all time in arguably the team of the decade. The other played most of his career with a top 4 team.
Yes, for good reason. That's shows their respective levels.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Yes, for good reason. That's shows their respective levels.
Benzema is undeniably better than Giroud of course. If he wasn't a blackmailing, child prostitute using scumbag he would probably have a world cup winners medal to add to his collection.

Sometimes being a better player is not enough.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I wonder if him and Rooney will look back their careers and have a bit of a regret that they had to sacrifice themselves during their physical peak to support Ronaldo. Both proved as soon as he left that they could have scored a lot more goals by being the main man but then they likely wouldn't have won anywhere near the same amount of trophies. I think individually they would be held in higher regard by the average football supporter if they had the attack built round them which their talent deserved.

iHicksy

I'm sorry, what? Did you mean to type that?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
:lol:

Benzema IS irrelevant.

Giroud IS world cup winner and Benzema can't do one thing about it.
Im sure Giroud would probably swap his World Cup for 4 CL titles and being regarded as one the key, if not the best players to ever play for Los Blancos.

LARulz

Benzema best forward in the world. What?!

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I wonder if him and Rooney will look back their careers and have a bit of a regret that they had to sacrifice themselves during their physical peak to support Ronaldo. Both proved as soon as he left that they could have scored a lot more goals by being the main man but then they likely wouldn't have won anywhere near the same amount of trophies. I think individually they would be held in higher regard by the average football supporter if they had the attack built round them which their talent deserved.
I don’t think so. I think they’ll look back and see it a good thing. If not for Ronaldo no 4 CL titles Benzema and likewise for Rooney and all they achieved. It’s a team sport. Also, Rooney, Benzema always played to the top level with or without Ronaldo it’s just more noticeable because people actually pay attention to what other players do when Ronaldo isn’t there.

tomaldinho1

Benzema is not the best striker in the world as I've seen posted above - he's a great all round talent with a decent record stats wise. Personally I think Benzema was seen as a good forward but then he went through a bit of a image revival (around the time I think Zidane defended him against Lineker saying he was overrated) and now you have people saying he's one of the best in the world which I don't think is true.

A very good player but nowhere near being the best striker in the world.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Cristiano did just that. At real madrid. Outright, in an interview :lol:

Though he did adjust his words, mentioning how he was referring to injuries to the best players -benzema, pepe, bale and marcelo
:lol: I'm surprised he didin't mentioned Giroud and how irrelevant he is, because we all need that precious information about Giroud being a lesser footballer to expand our football consciousness.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The only issue I would have had with Benzema for France is that it would have lead to just too many cocky fancy players on one pitch and in one team.

It felt good seeing a boring ass striker covered by the fancy players (maybe in hindsight) - a bit like how we would use a great hard worker like Park Ji Sung to provide us something a bit different to our fancy front 3 line up when we needed it the most.

It gives it this mental balance alongside the physical or the technical aspects a team might need.

Benzema is definitely miles better than Giroud though - but I just dont see Mbappe and Greizmann being consistent throughout a whole tournament if Benzema took a centre stage with them; well just because their would maybe have too many 'central' players.

If they were in club football training together all year around then that's one thing - but its international football and it's a different story.

It reminds me of England's 'Golden Generation' - sometimes too many fancy players were used when more hard working, more players that would fit a team orientation could have been used internationally.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Benzema was allegedly complicit in blackmailing his own teammate. He also puts down other players and has previous behavior wise.

There is a lot to be said for the attitude and the morale in a squad, especially put up at close quarters in an international tournament.

Giroud seems like a really nice guy who is popular with his teammates and gets on with his job.

The squad were arguably happier without Benzema there, and that can mean a lot more than simply being a better player.

JPRouve

Scout
But he hasn't exactly had the chance while being in his prime. He played when he was still maturing as a player
Giroud wasn't in his prime either and he was still more consistent, they roughly have the same age. Benzema has simply not been good with France, he wasn't particularly good when Giroud was his backup and Giroud would routinely outperform as a starter or coming from the bench.
I have always liked Benzema and I rate him highly but people are totally misguided when they talk about France, Benzema wasn't good, he should have been benched way before the Valbuena story and Giroud deserved his spot. Giroud is a lesser player at club level, there is no discussion about it but with France he has always been the better performer.