Berbatov Narrates His Goal Against Chelsea

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
How much do you think Berbatov would be worth in today's inflated market?
If Berba was at Spurs and we wanted to buy him this summer, you are looking at 120 minimum and that's not even considering the Levy tax, I genuinely think he's worth a fair bit more than what Lukaku went for. Levy would probably ask for Kane figures (150?)

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Dude you're really understating how completely, fecking shit we are right now IMO. I know he wasn't as prolific as some thought he was going to be but everyone with half a brain would all be lining up to kiss his feet if we had prime Berba playing number 9 for us next season.

Edit: Not intending to criticise you btw, I just really love Dimi :drool:
Yeah I know. I just think that given the major complaints against the current side are laziness, slowness, lack of pressing, slow passing, etc., that Berba would be driving us nuts.

DoomSlayer

If Berba was at Spurs and we wanted to buy him this summer, you are looking at 120 minimum and that's not even considering the Levy tax, I genuinely think he's worth a fair bit more than what Lukaku went for. Levy would probably ask for Kane figures (150?)
Knowing how Levy moves with his business, you might just be right on that. :lol:

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Yeah I know. I just think that given the major complaints against the current side are laziness, slowness, lack of pressing, slow passing, etc., that Berba would be driving us nuts.
When you put it like that and with the prominence of City and Liverpool's pressing yeah...you're definitely right about that. Now you have me thinking, how much of a hit would a young Tevez be right now...:drool:

Mr Smith

I love Berba. Every time I have heard him talk he really shows how much he understands the game. He clearly loved being at United as well, even if his career here petered out a bit.

Foxbatt

It is not as if Berbatov does not press. He played in BL and knows how to play the press and I have seen him many times early in his career urging other players to press but if only he presses then it is no point in doing so. I would say once you give the ball to Berbatov then it is very rare that he loses it or gets dispossessed. I think United was the wrong club for him. We do not play the kind of football he plays. He should have gone to City or Arsenal. Maybe he was too expensive for Arsene to buy.
He never wastes energy. You would never see Berbatov chasing a lost cause. If he goes after a ball he invariably gets it and keep it in play. He is not the kind of player who is going to run after the ball and reach it just as it rolls over the line. I think the fans would love it when players chase lost cause but as a professional player his judgment has to be what is the best for him and his team and not play for the match of day clip.
I would say that he we had any other player than Fletcher in midfield Berbatov would have played a lot better. People forget how much free time he seems to have and he is not worried to receive the ball under pressure and to be honest we did not use the full use of Bertbatov at United.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Amazing Berba is almost a legend here despite being bashed by many a lot of the time.

Foxbatt

I think some people hate him because he does not run around a headless chicken and if there was no Tevez saga around he would be much loved by more fans.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Hearing Lingard or someone come out with a similar story now would just be jarring. Miss players like Berba and Vidic!
Back then he was heavily criticized for being a scorer in bulk. I never understood that, his goals helped us win a PL, I loved watching him. Sometimes we don't know how to appreciate certain players

DoomSlayer

Back then he was heavily criticized for being a scorer in bulk. I never understood that, his goals helped us win a PL, I loved watching him. Sometimes we don't know how to appreciate certain players
I love to see how highly appreciated Berba is nowadays. Being the best player of my country at the time, it was extra special to witness him wear the colours of the club I support and it was a bit sad to see how abusive some of the criticism towards him went.

It was always weird that people questioned his mentality - he grew up in a very poor country, where some crazy shit happened on a daily basis. He was kidnapped by a mafia boss because he wanted him to play for his football club, but then the other mafia boss, who was the owner of CSKA Sofia, the club Berbatov was playing in the time, intervened and probably made some sort of deal to get him released safely. Berba also was getting serious death threats from the fans of his own club because he had a bad game against their bitter rivals and missed an open net a-la Torres.

I don't think a player who goes from here to Bayer Leverkusen, then to Spurs and finally Manchester United, lacks mentality. It's just that people expected him to be a proper goalscorer, whilst his main strength was being a playmaking forward.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He’d be criticised now for not working hard enough, but it worked well in that team. I’d take a player like Berba any day of the week. Although, perhaps we’d need a Tevez more nowadays.

Canagel

He would've been slaughtered in this team for lack of effort and laziness. People don't realize it's the quality of players and how they complete each other, not the way of running that makes the difference.

kouroux

He’d be criticised now for not working hard enough, but it worked well in that team. I’d take a player like Berba any day of the week. Although, perhaps we’d need a Tevez more nowadays.
He would've been slaughtered in this team for lack of effort and laziness. People don't realize it's the quality of players and how they complete each other, not the way of running that makes the difference.
Without a doubt yes.

Foxbatt

Players like Berbatov know their football. What is the point in running after a ball knowing that by the time you reach the ball it would have gone out of play? How many times we see players running after the ball and it just going out of play as the player reaches it? It is a waste of energy. Berbatov does chase it when he knows that he can get the ball. The best example is the one against West Ham.
I think some fans love the crazy headless chicken running of some players.

DoomSlayer

Players like Berbatov know their football. What is the point in running after a ball knowing that by the time you reach the ball it would have gone out of play? How many times we see players running after the ball and it just going out of play as the player reaches it? It is a waste of energy. Berbatov does chase it when he knows that he can get the ball. The best example is the one against West Ham.
I think some fans love the crazy headless chicken running of some players.
I also remember Berba being one of our top players in terms of distance covered. He was always trying to find space or create it for others when we had the ball, just wasn't the best suited to aggressive front foot pressing as much.

Art Vandelay

We were spoilt really. I think part of it was the media trying to find faults too and a bit of an agenda from them to keep Rooney as the main man. Berbatov was constantly criticised for not pressing like Rooney and Tevez, but very few players did and Rooney's pressing at times left him out of position. Berbatov pressed, he tracked back and he worked hard for the team. He just wasn't as quick or as dogged as some of the others around him. I always felt Ronaldo was worse at pressing and tracking back. Berbatov was excellent at defending corners too.

I think Mata is similar now, he puts up the mileage per match and works his bollocks off. He's just not quick enough for it to look like it's making a huge difference.

Berbatov is one of my favourite United players, he was absolutely magical to watch. The fact that he survived telling Vidic to feck off just adds to his status.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Unused sub, Bosingwa started at RB

It is the game where Utd had a goal after a clever corner routine wrongly disallowed then scored again after the corner was retaken
Read this and remembered it straight away. The good old days when you just couldn't stop us scoring if we felt like it. :(

Foxbatt

Talking of Rooney pressing what is the style he does like a rooster after a hen the way he tries to press?

kouroux

We were spoilt really. I think part of it was the media trying to find faults too and a bit of an agenda from them to keep Rooney as the main man. Berbatov was constantly criticised for not pressing like Rooney and Tevez, but very few players did and Rooney's pressing at times left him out of position. Berbatov pressed, he tracked back and he worked hard for the team. He just wasn't as quick or as dogged as some of the others around him. I always felt Ronaldo was worse at pressing and tracking back. Berbatov was excellent at defending corners too.

I think Mata is similar now, he puts up the mileage per match and works his bollocks off. He's just not quick enough for it to look like it's making a huge difference.

Berbatov is one of my favourite United players, he was absolutely magical to watch. The fact that he survived telling Vidic to feck off just adds to his status.
That right there, is very important. Appearances can be deceiving