Berbatov or Henry?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Berbatov will be 27 early next year. Henry will be 30 next month.

Imagine that both players are available for the same price and same wages, and assume that United are looking for a new striker.

Take all factors into consideration - age, ability, form, attitude etc.

Given the choice, which one would you sign for United?

Berbatov ?
Henry ?

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I can't understand this thread. Henry gets injured for a whole season, and all of a sudden, arguably the greatest Premiership player ever, becomes inferior to Berbatov.
Stupid debate.

reddevilcanada

I can't understand this thread. Henry gets injured for a whole season, and all of a sudden, arguably the greatest Premiership player ever, becomes inferior to Berbatov.
Stupid debate.
Stupid indeed.

Scholes was sidelined for much longer than Henry yet came back in amazing form. He's also older than Henry.

Injuries dont determine whether someone has peaked or not because class is a permanent thing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Dead serious here...

Henry's left his peak, this is not the Henry of 2002-2006.
How would you know that without him playing, whilst 100% fit?

How do you know that Berbatov's fairly good season wasn't a fluke and that now he's a 'face' he won't struggle next season? He's hardly proven in England. Henry is a Prem legend and feared by the whole league, by the inadvertency of his presence alone he allows the team he's on at least 20 goals a season, that's before factoring his direct contribution through his own goals.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Stupid debate.
Obviously it's up to each poster, but if possible I'd prefer it if people could just indicate their choice, rather than seeing this thread turn into an argument.

I did want to make it an actual poll - with tick boxes etc - but couldn't find the option to do that.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Stupid debate.
Not sure it's a debate so much as a display of refined muppetry.

enghuei

Cheats at Tetris
Obviously it's up to each poster, but if possible I'd prefer it if people could just indicate their choice, rather than seeing this thread turn into an argument.

I did want to make it an actual poll - with tick boxes etc - but couldn't find the option to do that.
You have to make a request to the mods.
Do it in the mod/admin forum.
I doubt they would approve it though.

The_Red_Hope

Berbatov is overrated. One decent season does not a legend make.

Henry for sure.

But who needs them - we're getting Teveth !!

reddevilcanada

Michael Owen....
You seriously compare Michael Owen to Henry? Certain players like Owen/Saha are very injury prone, but that's not the case with Henry, he might get an injury but it's nowhere near as frequent as Owen's injuries, a silly comparison.

Il Tulipo Nero

How would you know that without him playing, whilst 100% fit?

How do you know that Berbatov's fairly good season wasn't a fluke and that now he's a 'face' he won't struggle next season? He's hardly proven in England. Henry is a Prem legend and feared by the whole league, by the inadvertency of his presence alone he allows the team he's on at least 20 goals a season, that's before factoring his direct contribution through his own goals.
I'm basing my judgement on last season and what I saw from Henry didn't impress me in terms of football, and that clearly had a lot to do with injuries, he's got a sciatic nerve problem with his back and I won't be too shocked if he continues his injury trend at Barca. There's a reason he was sold for £16m.

Il Tulipo Nero

You seriously compare Michael Owen to Henry? Certain players like Owen/Saha are injury prone, but that's not the case with Henry, he might get an injury but it's nowhere near as frequent as Owen's injuries, a silly comparison.
No, i'm not comparing them directly. I'm just saying Owen was never the same after his injuries. Wenger is a very astute manager and its clear something was wrong behind the scenes for Henry to be sold for £16m only a season after he was apparently worth £50m.

reddevilcanada

No, i'm not comparing them directly. I'm just saying Owen was never the same after his injuries. Wenger is a very astute manager and its clear something was wrong behind the scenes for Henry to be sold for £16m only a season after he was apparently worth £50m.
That's a lot of speculation, I agree that his fee was rather low, but that's probably because of his age, and his fitness levels, and not to mention the strong likelihood of Wenger himself leaving L'Arse after Dean's departure and all that. I won't be surprised if he ends up at Barca alongside Henry, you just don't know!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm basing my judgement on last season and what I saw from Henry didn't impress me in terms of football, and that clearly had a lot to do with injuries, he's got a sciatic nerve problem with his back and I won't be too shocked if he continues his injury trend at Barca. There's a reason he was sold for £16m.
That's ridiculous. Wayne Rooney looked like he had peaked according to some of the muppets on here whilst coming back from injury and supension earlier in the season... he's 21 years old.

Finding fitness is not the same as losing form and ability. Henry clearly wasn't fit or motivated last season, it doesn't mean he has 'lost it' and he was sold for what he was because he wanted to go rather than stay.

Henry has a presence in this league it takes years of top class performance to earn... just by being on the pitch and making a run he drags 2, 3 or even 4 players on to him and opens up the pitch for his team, we would have a fecking party in that space he'd make, that's before even thinking about the goals he would contribute and assists.

Berbatov had a moderate season grossly overblown to the point there's a thread like this even considered. There's no manager in this league who'd pick Berbatov over Henry off the back of last season.

Il Tulipo Nero

That's ridiculous. Wayne Rooney looked like he had peaked according to some of the muppets on here whilst coming back from injury and supension earlier in the season... he's 21 years old.

Finding fitness is not the same as losing form and ability. Henry clearly wasn't fit or motivated last season, it doesn't mean he has 'lost it' and he was sold for what he was because he wanted to go rather than stay.
Wayne Rooney was a very different situation and has nothing to do with this discussion. A metatarsal injury is nothing compared to Henry's sciatic nerve problems, It is the longest single nerve in the body and could seriously put an end to his sporting career 2 or 3 years earlier.

There's no manager in this league who'd pick Berbatov over Henry off the back of last season.
I doubt that.

Parks Life

Berbatov.

Not because he is better, but because he would fit better.

Ronaldo, Rooney & Berbatov. :drool:

Il Tulipo Nero

Did you guys even bother to read GlastonSpurs post properly?

Seems a lot of people are just picking Henry because of past achievements....

Right now, there's no doubt Berbatov would be the better choice to pick, he's 26 and is the complete striker. Henry's been dogged by injuries all season and is 30 in August, it would be a real risk taking him.

GlasgowCeltic

Henry scored 10 goals in his 17 league appearances, Berbatov scored 12 over the whole league season.

Henry's miles better.

reddevilcanada

Right now, there's no doubt Berbatov would be the better choice to pick, he's 26 and is the complete striker. Henry's been dogged by injuries all season and is 30 in August, it would be a real risk taking him.
Wasn't Scholes dogged by injuries for longer than Henry before last season? He's also older than the Frenchman, isn't he?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Wayne Rooney was a very different situation and has nothing to do with this discussion. A metatarsal injury is nothing compared to Henry's sciatic nerve problems, It is the longest single nerve in the body and could seriously put an end to his sporting career 2 or 3 years earlier.

I doubt that.
By the way people were talking so filippantly about Rooney, he was 'done' apparently. The same kind of dismissal you're dishing out to Henry. His sciatica came from playing far too many games over a 2-3yr period without any rest. Even when he was supposed to rest he played through it. With almost 8 months of recuperation the problem he has should be settled. A top club like Barcelona wouldn't sign him for so much money otherwise.

As to you doubting that, I think it shows how completely overrated you make Berbatov. Henry is a proven PL player of almost a decade! Berbatov doesn't even have 2 seasons under his belt. It's not a hard choice.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Henry has at least 3 good years left in him and even in decline he will be far better than 90-95% of his peers. The players are a class apart any way you look at it.