Berbatov

dbryan

Berbatov, he was a pretty damn good player wasn't he.

Top player for me. I know a lot of people felt he maybe upset our front three of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez and maybe he wasn't what we needed (and that may be a fair point) but the guy had class and talent.

He has such respect for the club and Sir Alex, check out this link below.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ark-10-year-anniversary-of-joining-man-united

Remember his goals and assists?

This amazing bit of skill and assist against West Ham

He scored some cracking goals as well. Here is every goal and assist for United

149 games and 56 goals. Hatrick at home to Liverpool in 2010. Had a top season in 10/11 and got 21 goals.

What is everyones thoughts on him?

marktan

Good technical player but his attitude of lounging around the pitch and moaning at everyone else annoyed the feck out of me. Tevez was and always will be the superior player.

Aloysius's Back 3

Was a player in the wrong generation for United at the time.

If we had Berbatov the years RVN was our main striker - he would have been much more consistent and deadly.

Irwin99

Berbatov, he was a pretty damn good player wasn't he.

Top player for me. I know a lot of people felt he maybe upset our front three of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez and maybe he wasn't what we needed (and that may be a fair point) but the guy had class and talent.

He has such respect for the club and Sir Alex, check out this link below.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...ark-10-year-anniversary-of-joining-man-united

Remember his goals and assists?

This amazing bit of skill and assist against West Ham

He scored some cracking goals as well. Here is every goal and assist for United

149 games and 56 goals. Hatrick at home to Liverpool in 2010. Had a top season in 10/11 and got 21 goals.

What is everyones thoughts on him?
I remember when we signed him from Spurs some journalist said he was better than Cantona.:nono:

Liked him but it took him a long time to settle and don't feel he was right for us. Great player in his own right though.

Bojan11

If we had Berbatov the years RVN was our main striker - he would have been much more consistent and deadly.
What? Are you saying we should have dropped RVN for Berbatov?

RVN was miles better than him. RVN was unlucky as when he joined Keane was starting to fade. We sold Stam and Beckham. We never replaced Pete until VDS in 2005.

By 2006, we signed Carrick. Vidic and Evra sorted our defence out which was a joke for years.

Not forgetting Chelsea started splashing the cash.

Aloysius's Back 3

What? Are you saying we should have dropped RVN for Berbatov?

RVN was miles better than him. RVN was unlucky as when he joined Keane was starting to fade. We sold Stam and Beckham. We never replaced Pete until VDS in 2005.

By 2006, we signed Carrick. Vidic and Evra sorted our defence out which was a joke for years.

Not forgetting Chelsea started splashing the cash.
I said nothing of the sort, hold your tail between the legs mate.

I said that Berbatov played in the wrong generation - Berbatov playing alongside C. Ronaldo, Tevez Rooney Nani etc was all a mistake because everyone bar Berbatov in that team were able to distribute the attacking duties evenly across the front 3 or 4 players.

RVN on top form would have been no good for us alongside C ronaldo, TEvez and Rooney either - the latter 3 play in a more fluid way than the likes of RVN and Berbatov. Those 2 need a team built around them so they have the ability to be the main man that recieves passes & chances created for them or for them to provide a pass to someone else - ultimately the whole attack has to come through a single focal point. Berbatov would have been better in the RVN generation for us.

Bojan11

I said nothing of the sort, hold your tail between the legs mate.

I said that Berbatov played in the wrong generation - Berbatov playing alongside C. Ronaldo, Tevez Rooney Nani etc was all a mistake because everyone bar Berbatov in that team were able to distribute the attacking duties evenly across the front 3 or 4 players.

RVN on top form would have been no good for us alongside C ronaldo, TEvez and Rooney either - the latter 3 play in a more fluid way than the likes of RVN and Berbatov. Those 2 need a team built around them so they have the ability to be the main man that recieves passes & chances created for them or for them to provide a pass to someone else - ultimately the whole attack has to come through a single focal point. Berbatov would have been better in the RVN generation for us.
Berbatov for any generation would have been the same. Can you imagine him strolling around with Keane? He wasn’t even better than Cole, Yorke, Sheringham and Solskjaer. I would have taken all four ahead of him.

He never played with any real pace and would have been sold very fast in a era when Fergie was more ruthless. He was a poor mans Cantona.

nobby the legend

If Berbatov in his prime time is now here with Rashford and Martial this would be the most deadly and elegant atack ever!

predator

Youth NITK
For me players of the past are usually remembered with fondness and therefore not remembered accurately. Berbatov was one of the most pleasing on the eye footballers I've ever watched but he was also frustrating as hell at times. Its like Chicharito, I feel like we could do with a player like him (from my memory of him with us) but then again I recall being so unimpressed with his finishing most the time.

Web of Bissaka

Elegant, fancy skills and it's a joy to watch him play individually. Teamplay wise, he's just too lacking.

Still a beautiful performer, I mean it's entertaining watching him play with his skills, first touches and all.

Classy.

davidmichael

Wonderful all round player that unfortunately signed for us at a time he wasn’t needed, we should have signed Tevez permanently instead and signed a Hernandez type as back up to the Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez trio.

Canagel

technically one of our best ever players. The skill and audacity to pull this off:

genius

Last edited:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Frustrating player for a while but absolute class when he hit form. I don't think he was being used properly at first but he didn't really seem to want to change much about his effort and style to break into the team. A bit sad his greatest form with us didn't last longer.

Negan

He is a United legend. People rave on about not signing Tevez but the guy was a snake. Ferguson sussed it out and signed a more technically gifted player who had way more respect for the club. We didn’t suffer for it either. We won the league in 08/09 and 10/11 with Berba.

Berba was capable of things very few players could do.

FujiVice

Berba was unplayable at times. Think that's why he was so frustrating. He'd have games like that time against Blackpool where we were 2-0 down and he took the game by the scruff of the neck. Or against Liverpool. Then he'd just wonder around like he didnt give a feck. For the talent he had, he should have been 50 times the player he was.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was an incredibly talented footballer but at the same time somewhat of a mis-fit at Manchester United. Consistently killing the ball instantly with his first touch (which would go unnoticed) and producing the most lovely moments of natural technical skill, he was also slow, languid and lacking in physicality/aggression, relative to the football team he was in. This Manchester United - a team that was known for its flair and technical brilliance but even moreso for the emphasis on pace, counterattacks, bullishness etc

So while we sit back and laud his wonderful moments/pieces of skill, he was for the majority of his United career somebody we never saw as a proper United player, and neither did he.

Ferginolol

I have a shirt with Berbatov on the back, one of my favourite players.

meamth

A Berbatov thread! My favorite all time player!

His through balls and hold up play are so underrated in caf. During his time with Ronaldo/Tevez/Rooney he played some beautiful through balls, his football brain is just sublime.

I loved the guy even from Spurs days, when he signed for us I couldn't be more happier.

People tend to forget that Sir Alex tried to sign Tevez but he doesn't like what we offered and went to City.

For all that money we paid for Spurs, It was all worth it. He wasn't a flop, he was a mild success but I couldn't be more happier to see him as a United player.

el3mel

He was good for us, but honestly don't think he ever lived up to the hype we thought of when we signed him. Good and successful to a good degree, and but not to the same level we were expecting when we signed him.

Last edited:

Golden Nugget

Wonderful technique - did things that one can only dream of doing - unfortunately that could be rare at times. If you went through his time st the club, you’d be able to find incredible first touches, skill and 3 goals against Liverpool.

Unfortunately he would be frustrating to watch in most games due to his style. I agree it was just the wrong era for him as there were higher expectations after replacing the energetic Tevez

dmode

My all time favourite is Cantona... Berbatov comes next... that says it all.

He was technically very gifted... and his goals were out of this world... I bet Zlatan got a bit of him.

Love this forever:

Ridiculous!

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The thing that separated Berbatov from Cantona was Cantona's mental strength. Everything else they were atleast equal. That summarizes Berbatov for me, in both good terms and bad.

meamth

The thing that separated Berbatov from Cantona was Cantona's mental strength. Everything else they were atleast equal. That summarizes Berbatov for me, in both good terms and bad.
I don't think he got weak mental strength, look at the guy now he's jacked.

What's separating him and Cantona is character. Berba is too timid to be the main guy, he said it himself in interviews how timid he was surrounded by the footballing legends at United.

He lacks that swagger and confidence to be the main guy, perhaps too humble. But I don't mind that, at least he's a very likable guy and a perfect teammate.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I don't think he got weak mental strength, look at the guy now he's jacked.

What's separating him and Cantona is character. Berba is too timid to be the main guy, he said it himself in interviews how timid he was surrounded by the footballing legends at United.

He lacks that swagger and confidence to be the main guy, perhaps too humble. But I don't mind that, at least he's a very likable guy and a perfect teammate.
That is exactly what I meant man :P

Treble

Berba wasn't a bad signing but wasn't an excellent signing either.

He was a flop in the CL but helped us win 2 league titles. He was the top scorer for title No 19 and helped also for the 18th one when Liverpool fancied themselves and had their best PL season (before this one). In terms of pts we did better with him than in the 07-08 season. Had he gone to Liverpool instead of R. Keane, Liverpool might have won the title that season.

meamth

If I have to pay 30 million to see a United player scores a hattrick against Liverpool, I would give them that money.

That reason alone is worth it. :drool:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The 90s saw the glory times of the so called mezza punta (ie the deep lying striker role). You had players like Cantona, Baggio, Del Piero, Bergkamp, Zola etc. In a football were the main striker was basically a goal poacher (Vieri, Shearer, Inzaghi, Fowler, Batistuta, Signori), managers felt that were the need for someone upfront with that extra technique and creativity.

That role started to die out as ball possession became more important. Managers needed more men in midfield which meant that they expected more out of their striker then simply score goals. then simply score goals.These days you struggle to find goal poachers anymore. We've got one in Lukaku but there's hardly anyone around.

Berbatov was nowhere near to Cantona let alone Baggio. Having said that while questions regarding his workrate are justified, its also true that he was comfortable in a role that was dying away. In fact other players were in similar circumstances and were struggling (ex Cassano). Meanwhile other players with a different skillset were moved around in other roles. Tevez for example who had great workrate become more of a no 10, Rooney became a lone striker while SAF tried to persuade Danny Welbeck to move on the flanks.

If Berba played in the 90s then he would have probably been at par to Bergkamp.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I loved him. He was the wrong type of striker for us at the wrong time but we can all look back at his highlights with absolute pleasure. Some of the stuff he did was next level.