Berbatov's Appreciation Thread

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Yep, Chicharito was far more important than him over the course of that season. He scored way more goals that changed the outcome of the game in our favour than Berbatov did.
Yeah exactly. The three guys who won it for us that season where Chicharito, Nani and Vidic. After those three, the contributions are far lesser from everyone else.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Very talented and had some decent moments. But Ferguson made a mistake but here. It was a poor signing in hindsight and disrupted that great trio of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez.

Berbatov slowed things down far too much and was not a good fit for the club.

Chief123

Very talented and had some decent moments. But Ferguson made a mistake but here. It was a poor signing in hindsight and disrupted that great trio of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez.

I thought your post was a strange take at first but as I thought about it, it actually reflected my feelings at the time. As brilliant a player as he was, it never really felt like a fluid and well oiled setup with him alongside the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo. It felt like two completely different contrasts of high energy and high intensity and then berbatov being so laid back and casual. His lack of pace always felt like it unbalanced us as he was normally the furthest forward with the pacier Rooney plahing deeper.

Edwards6

Agree with this, that front 3 was special to watch I was desperate for us to sign Tevez. Gutted he went to City

Red the Bear

Something less generic
A joy to watch but a waste in the nonetheless.

We shouldn't have gotten him in the first place, it was a mistake but that Liverpool hatrick was pretty cool so whatever.

Swedish_Plumber

Who was available to buy as an alternative? I always remember being annoyed about the possibility of him joining City, but can’t remember if there was anyone else we could’ve signed?!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Bar a good first half of 2010/11 he was a problem at United. A big reason why we lost the league in 09/10 was his failure to step up when Rooney wasn’t playing well or was injured.

It’s weird how his time at United has been rewritten as though he’s some kind of legend by those who can’t remember the reality that he was a very frustrating player. It’s those moments of magic he was always capable of that get shown on social media years later I guess.

I actually think forcing Tevez out because of this guy was one of Fergie’s biggest mistakes.

Oldham

Not a big fan of his time with us.
Could have been great player for us, but it was like he didn't mind to much or something...

croadyman

Agree with this, that front 3 was special to watch I was desperate for us to sign Tevez. Gutted he went to City
Why didn't Fergie get a deal in place for when his loan was up,cannot understand the hesitation especially with Ronaldo leaving

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Who was available to buy as an alternative? I always remember being annoyed about the possibility of him joining City, but can’t remember if there was anyone else we could’ve signed?!
I think we could have pushed for the likes of Aguero and Zlatan around that time. Benzema too maybe. But after Cantona Fergie had a weakness for this type of maverick like Berbatov, hence the effort to sign Di Canio in 2001. Didn’t work out as Bernatov just wasn’t good enough unfortunately.

norm87cro

I really dont understand people who are saying they were not fans of Berbatov. You have the right but it clearly says "appreciation thread" so the topic would be to say something nice about the man. For me it was that sublime West Ham assist and the whole 2011 season

FrantikChicken

I thought your post was a strange take at first but as I thought about it, it actually reflected my feelings at the time. As brilliant a player as he was, it never really felt like a fluid and well oiled setup with him alongside the likes of Rooney and Ronaldo. It felt like two completely different contrasts of high energy and high intensity and then berbatov being so laid back and casual. His lack of pace always felt like it unbalanced us as he was normally the furthest forward with the pacier Rooney plahing deeper.
I distinctly remember him playing behind Rooney in his first season. He only got the chance to score those 20 goals in his last (?) because Rooney was out for a very long period.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This threads confuse me. Why should we appreciate expensive flops? Should we open a pogba or a Veron's appreciation thread as well?

norm87cro

This threads confuse me. Why should we appreciate expensive flops? Should we open a pogba or a Veron's appreciation thread as well?
In all honesty he wasnt a flop nor was he a total success. His whole 2011 season is better than anything Veron or Pogba contributed in the shirt. Im not his biggest fan as I thought he was a bit slow for the league but that really isnt the point of this thread is it? If there was a Pogba appreciation thread I wouldnt even visit it since I really dont have much nice things to say about him. Berbatov has given us something to remember him by in terms of goals, assists and good moves. And like I said Im not his no. 1 fan but what is fair is fair

ScholesyTheWise

I really like him, both as a player and off of his interviews.
But I don't remember his time with us too fondly, bar the odd moment of sheer brilliance.

buying him meant the breakup of the chemistry that was there to be seen between Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez. It's not like it would have lasted forever with Ronaldo wanting to leave, but still... His addition to the team was never really it.

And what I remember most was his constant finger-pointing to the place someone should have - in his eyes - played him a pass to, but didn't.
Lukaku was like that too. Can't think of a single thing that annoys me more on a football pitch, not even diving or rolling around like an idiot to exaggerate an injury. I've no idea why it bothers me so much but that's that...

Revaulx

Bar a good first half of 2010/11 he was a problem at United. A big reason why we lost the league in 09/10 was his failure to step up when Rooney wasn’t playing well or was injured.

It’s weird how his time at United has been rewritten as though he’s some kind of legend by those who can’t remember the reality that he was a very frustrating player. It’s those moments of magic he was always capable of that get shown on social media years later I guess.

I actually think forcing Tevez out because of this guy was one of Fergie’s biggest mistakes.
Did he though? Fergie’s reluctance to sign Tevez permanently was apparent long before any mention of Berbatov surfaced.

Various reasons have come up over the years: not wanting to deal with Tevez’s dodgy representatives; Tevez being an unprofessional twat off the field.

I agree that signing Berba wasn’t a great move, but I haven’t seen any evidence that he undermined Fergie’s desire to retain Tevez.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Yeah Berbatov being underwhelming isn’t necessarily a great argument in favor of keeping Tevez. I think Tevez’s time with us gets a bit overrated too, we certainly didn’t see the best of him. And he turned out to be a massive prick.

Ideally we sign Aguero instead of either Tevez/Berbatov in this period, and then of course Robben to replace Ronaldo. Some missed opportunities unfortunately which maybe cost us another CL and PL.

Welbeckham

There is a reason our football was much better between 2006-2008. Signing Berbatov was a huge mistake, he slowed the team down and broke up the fluid, functional front three of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez (or Park/Saha).

There have been similar problems since with Zlatan and Cristiano. 15-20 league goals aren’t enough to make up for it. Chicharito was much better fit for the team, as was Tevez. (And later Cavani or instead of Cristiano, Martial instead of Zlatan etc.)

He wasn’t a flop per se. He was a talented player who had his moments. The club just never should have signed him. The team became slower and more predictable at the very instant. For me, the summer of 2008 was the start of the decline of Fergie’s last generation and our transfer policy in general.

norm87cro

Yeah Berbatov being underwhelming isn’t necessarily a great argument in favor of keeping Tevez. I think Tevez’s time with us gets a bit overrated too, we certainly didn’t see the best of him. And he turned out to be a massive prick.

Ideally we sign Aguero instead of either Tevez/Berbatov in this period, and then of course Robben to replace Ronaldo. Some missed opportunities unfortunately which maybe cost us another CL and PL.
I agree with the Tevez argument he didnt score much but he scored a few very important ones including a golden point that we won against Blackburn in 08 for the CL. He was a prick but he did his part in our most succesful period. There is no denying that

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Comes into the Berba appreciation thread.

First thing I see is everyone slating Berba.

Standard sadcafe.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Did Berbatov ever play much in a front two with Hernandez? Berba's best position was as a languid second-striker who could feed a pacy striker who played on the shoulder. It would be interesting to see how Berba would play today as I think he would be converted to a false 9 which I think he would be ideally suited to. You would just need to get him to improve his off the ball work and press more and he would be an excellent current day player.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Did he though? Fergie’s reluctance to sign Tevez permanently was apparent long before any mention of Berbatov surfaced.

Various reasons have come up over the years: not wanting to deal with Tevez’s dodgy representatives; Tevez being an unprofessional twat off the field.

I agree that signing Berba wasn’t a great move, but I haven’t seen any evidence that he undermined Fergie’s desire to retain Tevez.
Yep you might be right. I just much preferred Tevez to Berbatov and we’d have been better off in years post-2009 if we’d had kept Tevez and not signed Berbatov.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

He’s still got it. Love that he’s wearing his United training kit.
I will never forget the away game against Blackpool, 3-2 comeback.

First half Scholes absolutely pings one to try to hit the right winger cross field, just about head height.

Berba, just raises his left leg and kills it dead and works a shot that was off target, but feck me if it wasn't the most impressive first touch I ever saw at the time. Couldn't conceive at the time how he did it and still can't in truth. Unbelievable.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia

Maybe you should just feck off from thread and continue being miserable cnut somewhere else?

devilish

Maybe you should just feck off from thread and continue being miserable cnut somewhere else?
nope.

I am real curious why we celebrate certain flops especially the lazy kind. Who knows maybe we'll have a Pogba appreciation thread soon.

Witchking

You can open a thread of this want. Feck off from this one of you have no interest in appreciating Berbatov.

devilish

In all honesty he wasnt a flop nor was he a total success. His whole 2011 season is better than anything Veron or Pogba contributed in the shirt. Im not his biggest fan as I thought he was a bit slow for the league but that really isnt the point of this thread is it? If there was a Pogba appreciation thread I wouldnt even visit it since I really dont have much nice things to say about him. Berbatov has given us something to remember him by in terms of goals, assists and good moves. And like I said Im not his no. 1 fan but what is fair is fair
Are you sure about that? Berbatov 2010-2011 season saw him score 21 goals and 6 assists in 42 games. Pogba's 2018-2019 season saw him score 16 goals and producing 11 assists in 47 games. May we not forget that Pogba was playing in a worst team under a worst manager and in a deeper role. In my opinion they were luxury signings. The money could have been better spent elsewhere. Tevez was far more suited to our game then Berbatov

devilish

You can open a thread of this want. Feck off from this one of you have no interest in appreciating Berbatov.
as said I am curious in understanding the fascination towards this flop. As someone suggested he is really United's answer to Ozil.

devilish

He would be amazing for us if he played in this current team.
I doubt it. ETH would certainly hate his laziness and quite frankly he'd struggle to unlock these defences who are nearly as tight as the Italian defences during the 80s. Rooney on the other hand...

norm87cro

Are you sure about that? Berbatov 2010-2011 season saw him score 21 goals and 6 assists in 42 games. Pogba's 2018-2019 season saw him score 16 goals and producing 11 assists in 47 games. May we not forget that Pogba was playing in a worst team under a worst manager and in a deeper role. In my opinion they were luxury signings. The money could have been better spent elsewhere. Tevez was far more suited to our game then Berbatov
Yeah I agree but we won the CL and Berbatov was our best scorer (including a hat trick against Liverpool) wasnt he?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Even a dancing bear would have won trophies with us at the time.
Go look at how many games he played in those years before disrespecting him. I can grant underwhelming because of how great we were and our standards at the time but in no way was Berbatov a flop.

devilish

Yeah I agree but we won the CL and Berbatov was our best scorer (including a hat trick against Liverpool) wasnt he?
I think we won the CL before Berbatov came (ie with two hardworking beasts upfront). We did reach 2 CL finals with Berbatov though although if my memory serves me right his CL goalscoring record was shocking (5 goals in 25 matches according to transfermarkt)