Bernardo Silva | Man City Player

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
6 games would be a joke. Fine him heavily, make him do community service or something like that.
It's already been stated that the minimum six game ban for racial abuse is not applicable to Bernardo Silva's tweets, so I do not expect him to receive a punishment that severe.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I bet that, in these multi-racial friendships some have mentioned, there's a hell of a lot more jokes aimed at the black friends than the white.

Just because some black people are good-natured or accepting enough to tolerate such jokes, it doesn't mean that the rest of us should believe black people should just 'get on with it' or that they're somehow submissive or naturally second-class folk. That kind of thinking is what established power relies on to buttress its perverse authority.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I bet that, in these multi-racial friendships some have mentioned, there's a hell of a lot more jokes aimed at the black friends than the white.

Just because some black people are good-natured or accepting enough to tolerate such jokes, it doesn't mean that the rest of us should believe black people should just 'get on with it' or that they're somehow submissive or naturally second-class folk. That kind of thinking is what established power relies on to buttress its perverse authority.
Obviously I am talking about myself, I have had friends of different races and we joking to that extent indeed. I never really felt more targeted than them, we had a good balance between the jokes (a group composed of white, arabs and blacks). However we wouldn't do that to someone who isn't part of our circle and someone who would find it uncomfortable.

UncleBob

There's a whole lot of assumptions here, why do you feel such a big need to feel offended for someone else based on an imaginary scenario you've created?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

A lot of times, the bolded is just not making a big deal out of it in order to continue to coexist peacefully in a group of friends or at work.

It does get bitched about in more familiar settings though.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
There's a whole lot of assumptions here, why do you feel such a big need to feel offended for someone else based on an imaginary scenario you've created?
Wow, now I understand what a dick I was during the Suarez affair. Not calling you a dick per se Unclebob, just introspecting.

SteveJ

Scout
The 'offended on someone else's behalf' angle is about as effective as calling someone a snowflake. Try harder.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Have you seen this?

This is the character how is this innocent?
In Bernardo's defence thats not the character and while its similar the brand abondoned that blatantly racist character for the one Bernardo posted which comes in both brown and white. I think its fair to say both are based off the same original racist cartoon but the brand have removed a lot of the more offensive parts of the image.

While I've been strongly critical of BS in both threads lets not get carried away.
This is the character he posted with its white counterpart, not the one from the cartoon.
Lets not say he posted the image from the cartoon. While what he did is clearly offensive and he deserves whats coming to him lets be realistic.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
A lot of times, the bolded is just not making a big deal out of it in order to continue to coexist peacefully in a group of friends or at work.

It does get bitched about in more familiar settings though.
Yeah this is what I think as well.
I have a Thai friend who came to Denmark when he was 10 or so. We played football together for many years in a fairly close-knit team. There'd always be banter and some of it would be aimed at him, I guess kinda like the Bernardo/Mendy thing here. One day I asked him if he didn't find it tiring? "Yeah sure, but what are you gonna do? Not much help making a fuss about it" or something like that.

adexkola

Supports
I have a Thai friend who came to Denmark when he was 10 or so. We played football together for many years in a fairly close-knit team. There'd always be banter and some of it would be aimed at him, I guess kinda like the Bernardo/Mendy thing here. One day I asked him if he didn't find it tiring? "Yeah sure, but what are you gonna do? Not much help making a fuss about it" or something like that.
Exactly.

And I'll tell you this. When he's with his people, that's what they're talking about.

"You won't believe what these idiots said, again, the other day..."

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That's pretty much it. Generally you are alone among dozens of people, what exactly are you going to do? Sometimes you smile thinking "what an idiot", other times you respond and it gets awkward.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
That's pretty much it. Generally you are alone among dozens of people, what exactly are you going to do? Sometimes you smile thinking "what an idiot", other times you respond and it gets awkward.
Yeah, we grew up in two small towns neighbouring each other in the Danish countryside. He couldn't really afford to get rid of all his friends due to these "jokes".

UncleBob

The 'offended on someone else's behalf' angle is about as effective as calling someone a snowflake. Try harder.
Narrow minded seems better suited. You're speculating on the dynamics of other peoples friendship based on your personal belief on what it's like.

SteveJ

Scout
Narrow minded seems better suited. You're speculating on the dynamics of other peoples friendship based on your personal belief on what it's like.
Yes, my main point was an assumption.

UncleBob

I didn't see having a need to feel offended. I think he hit the nail on the head regarding the dynamics.
I don't. I have a large variety of friends, from all over the world, i find it strange that someone on the internet thinks they know anything about the dynamics in the groups of people i hang out with.

SteveJ

Scout
I don't. I have a large variety of friends, from all over the world, i find it strange that someone on the internet thinks they know anything about the dynamics in the groups of people i hang out with.
I don't know, of course. But then, I should've made it clear that I wasn't being specific.

Last edited:

UncleBob

I don't know, of course. But then, I should've made it clear that I wasn't beig specific.
Nah, you just decided to bet that the dynamics of multi-racial friendships is that there's a undertone of racism involved towards black people. Great.

Bernardo was an idiot for posting something like that on a social media platform, and he'll be punished for it.

SteveJ

Scout
Nah, you just decided to bet that the dynamics of multi-racial friendships is that there's a undertone of racism involved towards black people. Great.
I partially based my assumptions on Silva defenders' anecdotes posted in this thread (leaving aside the - thankfully few - City fans who've defended him because he plays for their club). Just be thankful that I haven't resorted to the celebrated 'some of my best friends are black' checkmate move.

adexkola

Supports
I partially based my assumptions on Silva defenders' anecdotes posted in this thread (leaving aside the - thankfully few - City fans who've defended him because he plays for their club). Just be thankful that I haven't resorted to the celebrated 'some of my best friends are black' checkmate move.
Indeed

AFC NimbleThumb

Same old names in this thread, reiterating the same sentiments in previous Pogba & Lukaku threads only to be met by users that try to trivialise the discussion.

Why has the topic dissolved into the make-up of someone’s friend group, it doesn’t bloody matter.

Same thing happens thread after thread, subversion is one of the main characteristics of the racism paradigm.

RaceCaf is a shambles.

Tostao_80

Presu
You can't punish someone because some offended people who bitch about everything and can't take a joke that's not even directed to them. It's their problem, let them cry about every little bit un-pc comment and laugh at them or ignore them, but don't let them influence anything... FA is a joke.
One of the worst posts ive seen in a while.
So basically, black people who find this offensive bitch about everything and cant take a joke. Wow, lost for words

Reactions: SteveJ

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
I’ve thought about this a lot, and I agree there’s always a joke or two about race between friends.

But B. Silva’s is too far. I’d never send one of my mates, especially in public (through tagging etc), a picture of a weird looking black character saying it’s them. It’d not only be offensive to any black person who saw it but it’d also embarrass my mate and him not reacting in an angry way would normalise it. It’d also make me seem like a complete dickhead, particular with repeat cases as if racist jokes are the only thing I’ve got in my locker when joking with a black friend. It makes him seem like such a fecking idiot and the tweet in combination with the racist video makes me think deep down he’s genuinely racist.

Tostao_80

I’ve thought about this a lot, and I agree there’s always a joke or two about race between friends.

But B. Silva’s is too far. I’d never send one of my mates, especially in public (through tagging etc), a picture of a weird looking black character saying it’s them. It’d not only be offensive to any black person who saw it but it’d also embarrass my mate and him not reacting in an angry way would normalise it. It’d also make me seem like a complete dickhead, particular with repeat cases as if racist jokes are the only thing I’ve got in my locker when joking with a black friend. It makes him seem like such a fecking idiot and the tweet in combination with the racist video makes me think deep down he’s genuinely racist.
It looks like Bernardo doesn't know any better. Dont confuse a black person laughing along or not reacting, to them not being secretly offended by it. This thread is so draining. But sadly, its a microcosm of the outside world.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
It looks like Bernardo doesn't know any better. Dont confuse a black person laughing along or not reacting, to them not being secretly offended by it. This thread is so draining. But sadly, its a microcosm of the outside world.
What? Is that not part of my exact point? Little jokes and subtle banter happens, but Bernardo’s racism is overly offensive and we can’t assume that Mendy isn’t embarrassed at the very least.

Treble

Bernardo has been incredibly daft with his jokes and deserves to get some punishment. Hope he is available against Liverpool though. City need his legs at Anfield, especially with the defensive problems they have now.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Now we are into the territory of assuming that people *are* actually offended by something but they just don’t want to say that, for some reason.

For my money, the sooner we can all collectively put the past behind us and stop tiptoeing around certain topics because of something that happened a long time ago, the better.

You can make a joke about dozens of personal characteristics, but the second it touches on skin colour then there is uproar, purely due to the historical context and because one persons ancestors massively abused another’s.

Everyone can see that slavery and various other things that happened in the past were incredibly wrong and awful, it’s time that we as a society moved on from it and stop branding any sort of reference to a skin colour as racist.

fergosaurus

You can't punish someone because some offended people who bitch about everything and can't take a joke that's not even directed to them. It's their problem, let them cry about every little bit un-pc comment and laugh at them or ignore them, but don't let them influence anything... FA is a joke.
Why do people insist on using tiresome strawman fallacies in this thread? This is not in any way a good example of 'PC gone mad' or 'outrage culture', don't be daft.

AFC NimbleThumb

Now we are into the territory of assuming that people *are* actually offended by something but they just don’t want to say that, for some reason.

For my money, the sooner we can all collectively put the past behind us and stop tiptoeing around certain topics because of something that happened a long time ago, the better.

You can make a joke about dozens of personal characteristics, but the second it touches on skin colour then there is uproar, purely due to the historical context and because one persons ancestors massively abused another’s.

Everyone can see that slavery and various other things that happened in the past were incredibly wrong and awful, it’s time that we as a society moved on from it and stop branding any sort of reference to a skin colour as racist.
& I’m back.

Can you find me some posts where people have called Silva a racist please? I can then more than happily discuss the rest of your post.

That last part reads as; Oppressed White Male says, move on from slavery so I can take the piss out of your skin colour without being branded a racist. How about people just don’t take the piss out of people’s skin tone. What the hell has slavery got to do with his tweet!?

Your post is an idiot.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
That last part reads as; Oppressed White Male says, move on from slavery so I can take the piss out of your skin colour without being branded a racist. How about people just don’t take the piss out of people’s skin tone.
Sure. But why stop there? Don’t take the piss out of people’s hair colour, weight, height, accent or any other physical characteristic either. Why is skin colour as a characteristic treated so differently to any other characteristic in this regard?

I’ll save you the answer since we know that it is due to the historical context. Which is essentially my point.

Tostao_80

Its not assuming. Im speaking from personal experience. I, and other black people i know face these situations regularly. Many times we just brush it off and appear unaffected, even though we are. It gets too draining, challenging everything. Life is easier when you just let it go.
Youre speaking from a position of privilege, and ignorance.
And your post is dumbfounding, what has slavery got to do with any of this?

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
Its not assuming. Im speaking from personal experience. I, and other black people i know face these situations regularly. Many times we just brush it off and appear unaffected, even though we are. It gets too draining, challenging everything. Life is easier when you just let it go.
Youre speaking from a position of privilege, and ignorance.
And your post is dumbfounding, what has slavery got to do with any of this?
That might well be your experience but you alone are not all black people so you can't say we and speak for every black person alive. I have spoken to 4 black people personally about this and not a single one of them had a problem with the tweet. Are you saying all 4 of them are lying to me? This topic is getting tiring now because everyone is just going round in circles. The only thing we can be certain of is that everyone seems to have a different take on it no matter how old you are, where you're from, or your race. This is clearly a topic that isn't as black and white as people believe in to be there are certainly multiple shades of grey in there.

Tostao_80

That might well be your experience but you alone are not all black people so you can't say we and speak for every black person alive. I have spoken to 4 black people personally about this and not a single one of them had a problem with the tweet. Are you saying all 4 of them are lying to me? This topic is getting tiring now because everyone is just going round in circles. The only thing we can be certain of is that everyone seems to have a different take on it no matter how old you are, where you're from, or your race. This is clearly a topic that isn't as black and white as people believe in to be there are certainly multiple shades of grey in there.
Reading comprehension. I said i, and many other black people i know, so no, its not just my personal experience alone.
And yes, it is possible that one or more of those 4 you spoke to wasnt being entirely honest.
Ive done it myself in the past, just to avoid having to discuss it, or just for an easier life.
The reason this thread is going round in circles is because of people like you refusing to acknowledge there are people like me (and many other black people, not all) who find it offensive. Why the natural urge to pushback i wonder? Are you the kind of person who does these jokes? I cant think of an explanation otherwise. Someone tells you they find something offensive. You would think a reasonable person would try to understand, not immediately downplay and go on the defensive. Can only mean one thing to me.

AFC NimbleThumb

Sure. But why stop there? Don’t take the piss out of people’s hair colour, weight, height, accent or any other physical characteristic either. Why is skin colour as a characteristic treated so differently to any other characteristic in this regard?

I’ll save you the answer since we know that it is due to the historical context. Which is essentially my point.
The lengths people will go to subvert these discussions never ceases to amaze me.

You do understand I can be black and have ginger hair, be short, be overweight, have 'an accent' and so on. I can also be white and be any variation of your spurious likened characteristics to skin colour.

I said a few pages back I'm done entertaining such discussions because if you honestly think that 'joking' about someones race is in any way comparable to someone's hair colour, height or weight then there can be no discussion here.

You're not saving me an answer, you are doing exactly what a number of pseudo intellectual 'progressives' do and attempting to destabilize the discussion with comparisons that have no relevance to the discussion at hand.

Your initial posts says people should move on from slavery as if that is the only reason anyone should find the Silva tweet an issue. "It's time we moved on as a society", but you say that the issue is being tiptoed around, so how can you move on without discussion. "I'm past it so everybody else should be", but no one in here is saying they're offended because of slavery and it holds no value in the argument.

Your tagline says everything there is to know about you.

Tostao_80

Is this really a serious post? Im starting to believe there are trolls purposely put in some of these threads. Youre comparing racism to hair colour? You know you can change your hair colour at any time, you cant change your skin colour. This thread :confused::confused:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Don’t take the piss out of people’s hair colour, weight, height, accent or any other physical characteristic either. Why is skin colour as a characteristic treated so differently to any other characteristic in this regard?
Practises legitimated by racism were simply way more devastating in terms of killing, enslaving, mistreating people. This history isn't over, which is why casual racism is treated differently. That said, I'm among the minority here that thinks all of these things are massively shit, and manifestations of a deeply unpleasant culture that runs on a lot of hostility and bullshit norms.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Your initial posts says people should move on from slavery as if that is the only reason anyone should find the Silva tweet an issue. "It's time we moved on as a society", but you say that the issue is being tiptoed around, so how can you move on without discussion.
What I have said there is entirely consistent. I am happy to have such discussions - it is however a very emotive topic, and one where a lot of people (including yourself based on what I have so far read) are entirely unwilling to entertain any viewpoint that differs from their own, and therefore will not have that open discussion without resorting to personal attacks and cries of “ignorance” and such like.

I will return to what I said before that you brushed off as ignorance (or something similar) - what is the material difference between making a joke about someone’s hair, weight, height etc, and making a joke about their skin colour?
My viewpoint is that they are treated differently due to the historical context of racism. This is understandable, but how is society meant to move on if we continue to accept and promote these double standards and remain shackled to actions from decades and centuries ago?