Bernardo Silva | Man City Player

ASHWIT

Its not assuming. Im speaking from personal experience. I, and other black people i know face these situations regularly. Many times we just brush it off and appear unaffected, even though we are. It gets too draining, challenging everything. Life is easier when you just let it go.
Youre speaking from a position of privilege, and ignorance.
And your post is dumbfounding, what has slavery got to do with any of this?
Fully agree. I got tired of pulling people up about the "all Jews are good with money" tiresome myth. Especially when, instead of showing some regret, humility, understanding etc when I explained why it's not on, all I gt back was "Don't be soft. It's a compliment anyway hahahahahahahaaa"

Funkin' cnuts!!!

ASHWIT

What I have said there is entirely consistent. I am happy to have such discussions - it is however a very emotive topic, and one where a lot of people (including yourself based on what I have so far read) are entirely unwilling to entertain any viewpoint that differs from their own, and therefore will not have that open discussion without resorting to personal attacks and cries of “ignorance” and such like.

I will return to what I said before that you brushed off as ignorance (or something similar) - what is the material difference between making a joke about someone’s hair, weight, height etc, and making a joke about their skin colour?
My viewpoint is that they are treated differently due to the historical context of racism. This is understandable, but how is society meant to move on if we continue to accept and promote these double standards and remain shackled to actions from decades and centuries ago?
Before I can explain the material difference. Could I ask you to list what "race" of hair, weight and height you belong to?

Sara125

None of the comments in this thread compare to the absolute gem I’ve just seen on bm:

...just the fact that he thinks mancunians are a race. Jesus Christ.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
What I have said there is entirely consistent. I am happy to have such discussions - it is however a very emotive topic, and one where a lot of people (including yourself based on what I have so far read) are entirely unwilling to entertain any viewpoint that differs from their own, and therefore will not have that open discussion without resorting to personal attacks and cries of “ignorance” and such like.

I will return to what I said before that you brushed off as ignorance (or something similar) - what is the material difference between making a joke about someone’s hair, weight, height etc, and making a joke about their skin colour?
My viewpoint is that they are treated differently due to the historical context of racism. This is understandable, but how is society meant to move on if we continue to accept and promote these double standards and remain shackled to actions from decades and centuries ago?
Yes, the way to end racism is by making racist jokes more acceptable. Fantastic logic. Bring back the minstrels, everything was much better when a person's race could be openly used to mock, belittle and dehumanise without fear of criticism from snowflakes.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Yes, the way to end racism is by making racist jokes more acceptable. Fantastic logic. Bring back the minstrels, everything was much better when a person's race could be openly used to mock, belittle and dehumanise without fear of criticism from snowflakes.
And yet it is perfectly fine to mock, belittle and dehumanise as long as you don’t mention skin colour?

Anyway this has gone rather off topic so I’m not going to say any more about it on this thread.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
And yet it is perfectly fine to mock, belittle and dehumanise as long as you don’t mention skin colour?

Anyway this has gone rather off topic so I’m not going to say any more about it on this thread.
But none of these things are accepted.

AFC NimbleThumb

Throughout our back & forth I’ve asked for clarification on points. As with most people who serve to disrupt the discourse you’ve ignored them all & attempted to move the goalposts on your own straw man argument, now asking for material differences.

You’re now attempting to pose me as irrational & emotive because your argument hinges on tenuous links between race & hair colour etc.

I can go on this discussion all day long & quite enjoy doing so; I entertain most viewpoints as it can add to my repertoire.

What I won’t do is entertain such a base argument. If you don’t already know what the rather blatant difference is between racial discrimination & something like hair colour then I don’t have the means to educate you to a point where this can be a respectful discussion. You’ve drawn a comparison between the 2 & called it a double standard although people of all backgrounds have ginger hair, I’m not surprised you don’t understand why I can’t debate this with you if that is your belief.

I haven’t attacked you personally. Your tagline is quite clear that on some level you feel a victim so I’m sure somebody calling that out might seem like an attack.

Despite all this, I don’t think you’re ignorant; most people that racebait aren’t. I’m just refusing to be drawn into a discussion that’s basis is race & height, race & weight etc.

Offsideagain

I’m going to request you clarify these points before I go on a tangent.

Is there a racism scale I’m unaware of?

Do Boris’ comments make Silva’s tweet less ‘racist’?

I’m genuinely lost as to what you’re getting at.
Well read the post with an open mind then. I’ll spell it out and hope you get the gist. John Barnes who will jump on any comment about black players said he didn’t think it was racist because the cartoon did indeed look like Mendy. I compared that comment to one Boris made about Muslim women as they do look like letter boxes. Both comments are obviously offensive but according to John Barnes observation, not racist.If someone said I looked like Gollum from Lord of the rings is that racist or because I’m white is it not considered a racist comment. I’ve been called honky and white trash whilst I’ve been abroad, that’s a racist comment. The point is what is deemed racist. Is calling a scouser racist? If you call him a black scouser is that then racist? The accepted definition of ‘racist’ does not mention colour but race. So the media jump onto this issue with Mendy because of colour. A black person using the N word is,apparently, ok from the number of films I’ve watched when it has been used. I also finished by saying the that ‘The world is full of good people and bad people and that’s how they should be judged regardless of race’. I hope you understand now.

OL29

Well read the post with an open mind then. I’ll spell it out and hope you get the gist. John Barnes who will jump on any comment about black players said he didn’t think it was racist because the cartoon did indeed look like Mendy. I compared that comment to one Boris made about Muslim women as they do look like letter boxes. Both comments are obviously offensive but according to John Barnes observation, not racist.If someone said I looked like Gollum from Lord of the rings is that racist or because I’m white is it not considered a racist comment. I’ve been called honky and white trash whilst I’ve been abroad, that’s a racist comment. The point is what is deemed racist. Is calling a scouser racist? If you call him a black scouser is that then racist? The accepted definition of ‘racist’ does not mention colour but race. So the media jump onto this issue with Mendy because of colour. A black person using the N word is,apparently, ok from the number of films I’ve watched when it has been used. I also finished by saying the that ‘The world is full of good people and bad people and that’s how they should be judged regardless of race’. I hope you understand now.
Surely you can differentiate between the intent between the two insults?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Fully agree. I got tired of pulling people up about the "all Jews are good with money" tiresome myth. Especially when, instead of showing some regret, humility, understanding etc when I explained why it's not on, all I gt back was "Don't be soft. It's a compliment anyway hahahahahahahaaa"

Funkin' cnuts!!!
It takes a huge level of ignorance to not realise why perpetuating the idea that all Jews are innately good with money is incredibly harmful. It is frustrating how many people seem unable to understand why a supposedly positive stereotype is actually anything but. The other obvious example is black people and anything pertaining to their physical attributes.

AFC NimbleThumb

Well read the post with an open mind then.
Calm down dear, you were asked to clarify some statements.

I’ll spell it out and hope you get the gist.
That was the request, good to see not all of my 5/6 sentence post befuddled you.

John Barnes who will jump on any comment about black players said he didn’t think it was racist because the cartoon did indeed look like Mendy. I compared that comment to one Boris made about Muslim women as they do look like letter boxes. Both comments are obviously offensive but according to John Barnes observation, not racist.
You are using John Barnes as a barometer for sense, first mistake. I for one don't think it does 'look like' Mendy. John Barnes in no way represents black society as a whole, nor do I. He was a very good footballer who has failed at punditry and management since retiring and now wants to play intellectual on something he can have seniority with over his white peers.

Going to focus on the bold part of your wall of text now though. Muslim women look like letterboxes? You've used Johns Barnes' theory that the cartoon looks like Mendy to tediously align it to yours & Boris' [questionable] views on Muslim society.

This isn't about reading your views with an open mind, your points are senseless; you're not actually making one. You're jumping from Boris to Barnes and drawing lines that don't exist.

If someone said I looked like Gollum from Lord of the rings is that racist or because I’m white is it not considered a racist comment. The point is what is deemed racist. Is calling a scouser racist? If you call him a black scouser is that then racist?
So here it comes. Extreme examples that have absolutely nothing to do with the matter in hand in this thread. We've gone from a footballer publicly posting a distasteful picture online to Gollum, to black Scousers. . . It's thread after thread with this bulls***.

This isn't a thread about, 'what is or is not racist'. If people actually read the posts of those who have an issue with what Silva posted people are not playing, 'is Silva racist' either. The poor taste and questionable undertones are my issues. This isn't the race Olympics, why random examples are pulled up really makes no sense.

You ask what is deemed racist? I'd say calling Muslim women letterboxes comes close.

I’ve been called honky and white trash whilst I’ve been abroad, that’s a racist comment.
Yes they would have been. Still not quite sure where this connects with the tweet though. Another contentious comment.

The accepted definition of ‘racist’ does not mention colour but race. So the media jump onto this issue with Mendy because of colour.
Well done, you googled the definition of racist - you missed the final step.

The definition of Race, A grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities.

Thus, you can be grouped into race by 'colour' [a shared physical quality]. Your attempt to look knowledgeable on that one fell terrible flat. I'm far from a race scholar but 'race vs colour', really?
A black person using the N word is,apparently, ok from the number of films I’ve watched when it has been used.
Another irrelevant point.

I also finished by saying the that ‘The world is full of good people and bad people and that’s how they should be judged regardless of race’.
True, shame people aren't judged that way.

I hope you understand now.
I understand that your views on Muslim women that wear headdresses could be seen as. . . dare i say it racist, not sure what else an open mind is meant to think of that drivel. I'm still lost as to what you're getting at.

Maybe it would be easier if you just were honest about exactly why you're annoyed at this situation because this hasn't worked.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
Reading comprehension. I said i, and many other black people i know, so no, its not just my personal experience alone.
And yes, it is possible that one or more of those 4 you spoke to wasnt being entirely honest.
Ive done it myself in the past, just to avoid having to discuss it, or just for an easier life.
The reason this thread is going round in circles is because of people like you refusing to acknowledge there are people like me (and many other black people, not all) who find it offensive. Why the natural urge to pushback i wonder? Are you the kind of person who does these jokes? I cant think of an explanation otherwise. Someone tells you they find something offensive. You would think a reasonable person would try to understand, not immediately downplay and go on the defensive. Can only mean one thing to me.
Not once have I said that people have not taken offence to this because clearly they have. My point is that not everybody has. Looks like you need a lesson in reading because I clearly said that no matter what colour you are, what age you are or whatever upbringing you have had there is not a single group of people that completely agree with what should or shouldn't be done to handle this situation.

Last edited:

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Yeah, Pep has driven me up the wall with his comments this week. I'm not sure how Pep can be as smart as he is....

My problem with banning Bernardo is that it places emphasis on punishment rather than rehabilitation. If you ban him for six games he's back for the seventh game, carrying on as if nothing happened. Sure, you get that feeling of "justice" but nothing actually comes of it. If you fine him a week's wages and donate that fine to a charity then his money does some good that stretches beyond the six week punishment period of a ban. And if you send him to a few training courses he can learn to empathise with the people he might have upset. Bernardo's not a bad guy - nobody's saying he's a racist, just that his "joke" with Mendy could be seen as racist (something Pep seems to have misunderstood). Let the punishment fit the crime, let's try to turn this into something positive.
Punishment and rehabilitation are Not exclusive. They should ban him, extend the ban for a further probation period and send him to a course.

Solely rehabilitation would be a really bad option, because his environment seems to even support him in his actions. And as WE can See in this thread, a course might
be futile. The Player might Not have the motivation or intellectual capacity to underdtand the matter.

Tostao_80

Not once have I said that people have not taken offence to this because clearly they have. My point is that not everybody has. Looks like you need a lesson in reading because I clearly said that no matter what colour you are, what age you are or whatever upbringing you have had there is not a single group of people that completely agree with what should or shouldn't be done to handle this situation.
Of course not everyone will agree. But that goes for pretty much any situation you can find, even more serious ones. Not all black people agree about Donald Trump for example, who has a past of racist behaviour. Youre making a pretty obvious point. Obvious but pointless. Nobody in this thread has even said that all black people are offended (ive stressed this point myself on a few occasions). A lot are, and theyre being dismissed, or not even being acknowledged.
Bernardo should be ashamed of himself.

Tostao_80

What an incoherent ramble of a post. So John Barnes (not highly respected by many black people when it comes to race discussions), says that he doesn't find offensive. And in your mind that totally invalidates the thoughts of many black people who do find it offensive.
And then you start rambling on about the n word and it being used in films. You do know that the majority of black people dont use that word right?
Youre not contributing very much too this topic. What else will you start bringing up, in order to divert from the issue at hand?

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Have they confirmed when they will confirm the length of his ban yet?

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
I think Messi, Thiago, Mahrez, Marcelo, Lukaku, Mata and a few other players have outstanding ball control, but Bernardo is better in my opinion. For him the first touch and the next move are often a single entity. I've seen other players do this as well, but majority of the time they concentrate on taking a good touch first.

Lukaku

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think Messi, Thiago, Mahrez, Marcelo, Lukaku, Mata and a few other players have outstanding ball control, but Bernardo is better in my opinion. For him the first touch and the next move are often a single entity. I've seen other players do this as well, but majority of the time they concentrate on taking a good touch first.

Lukaku
You're trolling surely :lol:

Varun

Staff

Lukaku
:lol:

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Lukaku
Thiago's touch is magnificent, the best these days for me. Previously, Ozil's touch was magical at his peak.

Righteous Steps

No ones touch is better than Messi, but when you start getting to the levels players such as Messi Hazard both Silvas, it's marginal difference, they're all neat perfect.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
This has all gone a bit quiet... Is he going to be banned?

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
How the feck can they take over six weeks to deal with this?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Because they rightly don’t want to take away a top city player la in the midst of a title battle. It’s all a conspiracy to stop Liverpool. Or something
They might as well ban him now then because the title race is over.

Number4.

Because it's a top club player. Had it been a Norwich City player he would already been provisionally suspended atm.
Because the needed to kick the can to post Anfield match - making sure they didn't put further fuel in the Man City tinfoil hats