Best 11 ever in your honest opinion

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sure it has done many times before, but let's pick your best 11, based on your honest opinions, but not by reputation.

For example, you are free to choose anyone from the older generation, like Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento, Yashin from 50's to early 60's, etc. But since there are very very few footage from those past greats, unless you live through that age and are over 70 years old now, its impossible to tell how good they were based on your honest opinions, so you shouldn't include those based on reputation alone. But you still can include those who you think you've watched enough footage of to form a honest opinion (ie Cruyff, Beckenbauer and even Pele, Best from late 60s to 70s' etc)

On the other hand, any current players, even without any notable achievement, and not anywhere near GOAT, you can also include them, as long as you honestly think they work best in your system,

Also, if you choose modern 433, stick with it, and don't include a few great no.10 AM there, it doesn't work in that system at all. Or otherwise, chose 4411, 41212, 4312, 4231 or 3412 etc, you can play the best no.10 you want there.

I''ll get it started first:

Schmeichel
Cafu VVD Beckenbauer Maldini
Rikjaard
De Bruyne Zidane
Messi Pele Ronaldo
I can't play Cruyff and Maradona, 2 of the greatest AM ever, in this system, when I have Messi and Ronaldo as wing forward in modern 433. If I want to include all players I want, might have to change to another formation no one use nowadays:

Schmeichel
Thuram Beckenbauer Maldini
Rikjaard Matthaus
Cruyff Maradona
Messi Pele Ronaldo

Web of Bissaka

Anyway, fair fun thread with specific more-realistic rules.

A) System is important here as does B) "possible compatibility" between the 11 players I feel.
:nervous:
Serious question though -- Can they all really play together.. I mean the goat players.. surely C) traits of the footballers eg. selfishness, support types, team-player, laziness, etc have to also be considered. Ego can be huge and disruptive if team is not "balance".

Only 11 players in their prime I feel highly confident I've watched and understand more than enough.. *all in my lifetime, only those I remember well*. Honestly, can't say for sure I understand the many past great players just from the limited number of footage videos. Not enough.

Cech
Cafu - Nesta - Maldini - Lahm
Makelele
Beckham - Pirlo
Messi - L. Suarez - C. Ronaldo​
Defense is too good so you need a goalkeeper who doesn't take high risks. I think the back five can easily gel, their playstyles doesn't really clashes with each other, none too volatile. FBs are good team supporters, and potent in both attacking/defending.

Midfield three. Becks to play similar to KDB at City, but with added huge workrate, high energy and team supports. Makelele as 6 and providing the engine with Becks. Pirlo the main playmaker, and regista at times when drop deep. They are also more of supporters. Messi likes to roam around towards centrally (CAM), so Becks to fill up the RW position at times. All three are good in supporting both attacks and defenses, no problems. Good balance.

Forward three I feel can gel easily. Messi and Suarez have good balance in both scoring and assisting. I'm also impress with Suarez ability in leading the line. Ronaldo is more self-goal-scoring instead of assisting, he still assist but yeah. Suarez also combined well usually with team mates. I'm confident all three can combine well.

dal

Based on the era I’ve witnessed >1989

Schmeichel
Cafu Nesta VVD Marcelo
Makelale
Maradona Zidane
Messi Ronaldo Ronaldo

High energy Back 5 with enough steel

There’s no point turning up with that front 5.

Reactions: oneniltothearsenal

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
Buffon
Alves Nesta Maldini Marcelo
Keane
Scholes Iniesta
Messi R9 Ronaldo
Just some of my favorite players i guess. Rio should make any team i'm making, but Nesta gets in first, and Maldini compliments Nesta better.

Josh 76

Schemeical

Carlos
Berasi
Rio
Maldini

Guilit
Keane
Maradona

Messi
Ronaldo
C.Ronaldo

Players who could have made it.
Alves
Nesta
Cafu
Vieira
Zidane
Mattaus
Platini
Van Bastan
Henry

Last edited:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Players I saw

Buffon

Maldini Nesta R.Carlos

Yaya Seedorf Iniesta

Ronaldinho

Ronaldo R9 Messi

I think Yaya will surprise some but I find him better than Pirlo and others, few box to boxes who won games on his own

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Neuer
Cafu Ferdinand Beckenbauer R. Carlos
Vieira Matthäus
Robben Maradona Ribery
L. Ronaldo

I picked Robbery over more flashy options like Messi, Cruyff, CR, etc. for their habit of not neglecting their defensive duties. In theory, this squad should have a ship sized tool locker to approach a a game.

El Zoido

VVD is really good but he’s way down the list if you’re talking best ever.

kidbob

Again from players I've seen:

Buffon

D Alves Nesta Ferdinand Maldini

Keane

Xavi Iniesta

Messi R9 Ronaldo

Reasoning only really needed for midfield in my opinion and that is that i think Iniesta was a better player overall than Zidane, Xavi is the best midfielder ever and Keane offers the 'Busquets' role but is a more complete version of that if a little less refined as a footballer.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
VVD?!

Genuinely surprised VVD makes people’s lists. I don’t think he’s better than Terry, Rio, Vidic let alone defenders who haven’t played in England. Yet he’s treated as if he’s one of the greatest defenders of all time.

Anyway.

Schmeichel

Dani Alves
Nesta
Maldini
Roberto Carlos

Xavi
Iniesta
Riquelme

Messi
L.Ronaldo
C.Ronaldo

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
In the mood for Joga Bonito right now, so going with an upgraded version of Brazil '82...

Primary objective(s): playing attractive football and not compromising on the swashbuckling Samba spirit of the team.

Arguably the best midfield in football history supplemented by a robust defense as well as a more incisive attack — should be a formidable all-round combination.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Not meaning to insult, but it's impressive VVD is there

Curious why, but people are free with their opinion.
VVD?!

Genuinely surprised VVD makes people’s lists. I don’t think he’s better than Terry, Rio, Vidic let alone defenders who haven’t played in England. Yet he’s treated as if he’s one of the greatest defenders of all time.
Well its not greatest 11 I propose here, just the best 11 players which works best for my system. Surely Terry, Rio, Vidic, Nesta, Cannavaro are all great defenders and no less than VVD, but VVD imo is also a great defender, who almost won Ballon D'or based on his performance over a full season, which I think deserves more credit.

DVG7

From players I have seen live in person

Schmeichel

Dani Alves
Kohler
Maldini
Roberto Carlos

Keane
Matthaus
Zidane

Messi
Ronaldo
C. Ronaldo

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Well its not greatest 11 I propose here, just the best 11 players which works best for my system. Surely Terry, Rio, Vidic, Nesta, Cannavaro are all great defenders and no less than VVD, but VVD imo is also a great defender, who almost won Ballon D'or based on his performance over a full season, which I think deserves more credit.
Cannavaro actually did win the Ballon D’or though. Vidic had far better stats in the 2007/08 season than VVD last season.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Schemeical

Carlos
Berasi
Rio
Maldini

Guilit
Keane
Maradona

Messi
Ronaldo
C.Ronaldo

Players who could have made it.
Alves
Nesta
Cafu
Vieira
Zidane
Mattaus
Platini
Van Bastan
Henry
Thats some team.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
VVD?!

Anyway.

Schmeichel

Dani Alves
Nesta
Maldini
Roberto Carlos

Xavi
Iniesta
Riquelme

Messi
L.Ronaldo
C.Ronaldo
you are outraged at VVD yet you casually put Riquelme at best ever XI

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
From the players that I've seen:

Neuer

Lahm
Rio
Puyol
Irwin

Keane
Xavi
Iniesta

Messi
L.Ronaldo
C.Ronaldo

7 subs:

Buffon
Cafu
Boateng
Scholes
Zidane
Henry
Ronaldinho

Manager: Sir Alex

SirAF

Ageist
Almost impossible. Players from my time obviously:

Schmeichel

Cafu
Ferdinand
Nesta
Maldini

Keane
Zidane
Xavi

Messi
Luis Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo

Manager:

Sir Alex

Edit:

I guess Ronaldinho should be in there somewhere. Ah, feck it all to hell!

arnie_ni

Sure it has done many times before, but let's pick your best 11, based on your honest opinions, but not by reputation.

For example, you are free to choose anyone from the older generation, like Puskas, Di Stefano, Gento, Yashin from 50's to early 60's, etc. But since there are very very few footage from those past greats, unless you live through that age and are over 70 years old now, its impossible to tell how good they were based on your honest opinions, so you shouldn't include those based on reputation alone. But you still can include those who you think you've watched enough footage of to form a honest opinion (ie Cruyff, Beckenbauer and even Pele, Best from late 60s to 70s' etc)

On the other hand, any current players, even without any notable achievement, and not anywhere near GOAT, you can also include them, as long as you honestly think they work best in your system,

Also, if you choose modern 433, stick with it, and don't include a few great no.10 AM there, it doesn't work in that system at all. Or otherwise, chose 4411, 41212, 4312, 4231 or 3412 etc, you can play the best no.10 you want there.

I''ll get it started first:

Schmeichel
Cafu VVD Beckenbauer Maldini
Rikjaard
De Bruyne Zidane
Messi Pele Ronaldo
I can't play Cruyff and Maradona, 2 of the greatest AM ever, in this system, when I have Messi and Ronaldo as wing forward in modern 433. If I want to include all players I want, might have to change to another formation no one use nowadays:

Schmeichel
Thuram Beckenbauer Maldini
Rikjaard Matthaus
Cruyff Maradona
Messi Pele Ronaldo

Please dont tell me vvd stands for virgil van dijk?

When did you start watching footy? The past 2 years?

Flip me

arnie_ni

Based on the era I’ve witnessed >1989

Schmeichel
Cafu Nesta VVD Marcelo
Makelale
Maradona Zidane
Messi Ronaldo Ronaldo

High energy Back 5 with enough steel

There’s no point turning up with that front 5.
VVD again?

Absolutely mental!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
———————Buffon———————
Cafu—-Ferdinand-Nesta-Carlos
——————Makelale——————-
———-Xavi————Iniesta————
Ronaldo———R9———-—-Messi

arnie_ni

Pete
Cafu
Rio
Nesta
Maldini
Busquets/pirlo
Keane
Iniesta
Messi
L.ronaldo
C.ronaldo

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Cannavaro actually did win the Ballon D’or though. Vidic had far better stats in the 2007/08 season than VVD last season.
Yes but Cannavaro winning it has more to do with his performances in WC. For me, I simply want someone who could potentially striker best defensive partnership with Beckenbauer, for some reason I just felt VVD fits the bill better, he looks more complete to me. But saying that I also think Vidic is better tackler, if i choose best ever in Premier league I'd go for Vidic+Rio.

RedDevilRoshi

I just find it peculiar how VVD has had a few mentions on here unless you have just started watching football from Jan 2018

Pav1878

Anyway, fair fun thread with specific more-realistic rules.

A) System is important here as does B) "possible compatibility" between the 11 players I feel.
:nervous:
Serious question though -- Can they all really play together.. I mean the goat players.. surely C) traits of the footballers eg. selfishness, support types, team-player, laziness, etc have to also be considered. Ego can be huge and disruptive if team is not "balance".

Only 11 players in their prime I feel highly confident I've watched and understand more than enough.. *all in my lifetime, only those I remember well*. Honestly, can't say for sure I understand the many past great players just from the limited number of footage videos. Not enough.

Cech
Cafu - Nesta - Maldini - Lahm
Makelele
Beckham - Pirlo
Messi - L. Suarez - C. Ronaldo​
Defense is too good so you need a goalkeeper who doesn't take high risks. I think the back five can easily gel, their playstyles doesn't really clashes with each other, none too volatile. FBs are good team supporters, and potent in both attacking/defending.

Midfield three. Becks to play similar to KDB at City, but with added huge workrate, high energy and team supports. Makelele as 6 and providing the engine with Becks. Pirlo the main playmaker, and regista at times when drop deep. They are also more of supporters. Messi likes to roam around towards centrally (CAM), so Becks to fill up the RW position at times. All three are good in supporting both attacks and defenses, no problems. Good balance.

Forward three I feel can gel easily. Messi and Suarez have good balance in both scoring and assisting. I'm also impress with Suarez ability in leading the line. Ronaldo is more self-goal-scoring instead of assisting, he still assist but yeah. Suarez also combined well usually with team mates. I'm confident all three can combine well.
Luis Suarez over fat ronaldo, batistuta etc, you're out of your frickin mind

2 man midfield

I just find it peculiar how VVD has had a few mentions on here unless you have just started watching football from Jan 2018
To be fair though, isn’t that what the thread asked for? If someone’s only been watching PL football for 5 years, why would they pick Maldini? It goes against what the OP wanted.

arnie_ni

To be fair though, isn’t that what the thread asked for? If someone’s only been watching PL football for 5 years, why would they pick Maldini? It goes against what the OP wanted.
Cafu was in both teams. He's been retired, what 10 to 15 years?

That means nesta, maldini, cannavaro, rio, vidic, terry, bonucci, cheliani, puyol, ramos, adams, Campbell, kompan, to name a few have been overlooked.

Forgive the spelling of some of those names

arnie_ni

Exactly, there's a lot of Liverpool fans on this United forum it seems.

Vvd is good but he still has a lot to prove to be GOAT. Would take Rio any day
Just in our league alone, rio, vidic, terry, Campbell, adams, kompany could all be argued to be better

Pav1878

I know it's a matter of opinion but no Zidane or ronaldinho in any lineups whatsoever? Seriously?

People have some short memories.

2 man midfield

Cafu was in both teams. He's been retired, what 10 to 15 years?

That means nesta, maldini, cannavaro, rio, vidic, terry, bonucci, cheliani, puyol, ramos, adams, Campbell, kompan, to name a few have been overlooked.

Forgive the spelling of some of those names
Fair enough, I didn’t bother to look at the rest of the teams

2 man midfield

I know it's a matter of opinion but no Zidane or ronaldinho in any lineups whatsoever? Seriously?

People have some short memories.
I’m gonna take pelters for this, but I think Zidane was overrated.

paulscholes18

Cafu Braesi Beckenbauer Maldini
Matthaus Rijaard
Best Messi Ronaldo
Eusebio

Players that I’ve seen
Schmeichel
Cafu Stam Nesta Carlos
Pirlo Scholes
Zidane
Messi Ronaldo Ronaldo

Invictus