Best 11 ever in your honest opinion

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Pele

Cristiano - Maradona - Messi

Xavi - Matthaus

Maldini - Baresi - Beckenbauer - Cafu

Yashin
I think this is as close to perfect as you can get. Not just for the insane attack (which has to be remembered has extremely flexible players like Pele who are as comfortable leading the line as a support striker) but also the defence.

Beckenbauer and Mattheus carrying the ball forward with all that power and dynamism. Xavi ticking things over and recycling possession and Cafu bursting forward into the space left by Messi.

Great stuff, this one gets my vote!

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Correct, Keegan maybe? He’s got that universal European acclaim and even won the award. But generally you’re right they’ve never had anyone dazzling to the point of greatness. Such a shame.
No way. Keegan was nowhere near close enough to the level of GOAT attackers that he's got to compete with and neither was Dalglish. Souness has a slightly better chance, but there are still a number of players who would get picked ahead of him without any argument.

Robaldo

From the players in my generation (born 1996):

Neuer
Alves, Ferdinand, Ramos, Lahm
Xavi, Modric, Iniesta
Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo

Special mentions to Henry, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Scholes, VvD, Kroos, Puyol, Lewandowski, Robben but they're off the team above from what I've seen, albeit for Zidane and Ronaldinho who I only really witnessed towards the end of their careers.

I realise how little I've seen compared to some when I write this, but I'd rather avoid choosing players that I've only seen clips of because it's purely based on assumption.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Peter Cech pre injury was the best keeper I've seen myself.

Cech
David Alves, Ferdinand, Vidic, Cole
Makalele
Xavi, Iniesta
Messi, Eto'o, Ronaldo

Beans

Supports
Neutral
From the players in my generation (born 1996):

Neuer
Alves, Ferdinand, Ramos, Lahm
Xavi, Modric, Iniesta
Messi, Suarez, Ronaldo

Special mentions to Henry, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Scholes, VvD, Kroos, Puyol, Lewandowski, Robben but they're off the team above from what I've seen, albeit for Zidane and Ronaldinho who I only really witnessed towards the end of their careers.

I realise how little I've seen compared to some when I write this, but I'd rather avoid choosing players that I've only seen clips of because it's purely based on assumption.
Nice team! I considered Lahm myself.

BlackShark_80

Is there any Liverpool legend, past or present, who has a case for this starting XI? I feel like Liverpool haven't really had any true greats play for them.

Real Madrid - CR7, R9, Zidane
AC Milan - Rijkaard, Maldini, Baresi
Juventus - Platini, Buffon
Man United - Best, CR7
Barcelona - Messi, Ronaldinho, Maradona, R9
Bayern - Beckenbauer, Matthaus

Perhaps I just sound like a complete ignoramus but I cannot put any Liverpool players, past or present, on this level. Maybe Dalglish?
None of their greats are all-time materials i'm afraid.

SAFMUTD

My XI based on only players I watched and on their absolute peaks.

Buffon
Dani Alves-Vidic-Maldini-Roberto Carlos
Xavi-Busquets-Iniesta
Messi-Fat Ronaldo- Cristiano

Hard to leave out players such as Zidane, Ronaldinho, Keane, Giggs but I think that starting XI would beat any team.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I've left out any players that I haven't actually seen play.

Neuer

Lahm
Vidic
Rio
R.Carlos

Keane
Zidane

Messi
Ronaldinho
C. Ronaldo

L. Ronaldo

Josh 76

Is there any Liverpool legend, past or present, who has a case for this starting XI? I feel like Liverpool haven't really had any true greats play for them.

Real Madrid - CR7, R9, Zidane
AC Milan - Rijkaard, Maldini, Baresi
Juventus - Platini, Buffon
Man United - Best, CR7
Barcelona - Messi, Ronaldinho, Maradona, R9
Bayern - Beckenbauer, Matthaus

Perhaps I just sound like a complete ignoramus but I cannot put any Liverpool players, past or present, on this level. Maybe Dalglish?
Liverpool dominated European football for a few years in late 70s to mid 80s.
So you may have to consider
Souness
Dalglish
Hansen

Then there is
Gerrard
Suarez
VVD

No way would i say they should be in the GOAT 11. But at one stage in the careers they would have been in the top 5 players in world football playing for Liverpool.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I will pick only from players who i have watched.

Schmeichel
Cafu Baresi Maldini (Ferdinand) Carlos (Maldini)
Rijkaard Zidane
Ronaldinho Messi Maradona
Luis Ronaldo

Would it work? Probably not but ...oh well.

And putting VVD and de Bruyne is ridiculous. Rio Ferdinand, Cannavaro and Nesta for example are everything what VVD is and much more.

NoPace

Only doing players whose peak I saw, so post Brazilian Ronaldo/Maldini, and I’m including club partnerships as useful since I would want that, so

Cristiano————Robben
————-Messi————-
—Iniesta————Xavi
————Busquets———
Cole-Pique-Ramos-Dani Alves
—————Neuer————

Basically peak Barca with Cristiano out left scoring goals, Cole providing defensive play to let Alves go forward constantly (Ramos is comfortable sliding out right) and I considered a regular 9 instead of Robben and almost went with Kaka, my real answer is you wouldn’t know if the 3rd man in attack should be one of them, Suarez or Henry until you saw it in action more, and might well decide more on if you want Messi central or on the right based on opponents.

If I was older, I imagine the first spots I’d switch out are that attacking spot for Brazilian Ronaldo or someone who is a good fit tactically, as in they could score goals centrally and occupy center backs to help Cristiano like Benzema does and also do damage from the right when Messi cuts in. Cole and Pique for Maldini and a calm CB to partner Ramos. I know people will say the 80s and 90s CBs were better but Ramos’ record of injuring opposing players and scoring goals in key moments is really incredible and somehow underrated. Probably Busquets for Riijkard or Beckenbauer it sounds like.

ctp

Ronaldinho - Messi - Robben
Iniesta - Xavi
Busquets
Cole - Stam - Nesta - Lahm
Neuer
Obviously not an all-time XI, but players I've seen. The heart of this team is that of Pep's Barca, midfield three plus Messi. Bayern's treble winning right wing complements them, and I've opted for the magic of Dinho over the efficiency of Cristiano on the left wing. With this much firepower on the pitch I've chosen the top balanced fullbacks over all-out attacking beasts (like Alves or Marcelo). Two rock solid CBs and the GOATkeeper complete the team.

diarm

Schmeichel
Cafu Stam Maldini Carlos
Rijkaard Iniesta
Messi Maradona Ronaldo7
Ronaldo9

mshnsh

People like to think they are edgy by not picking Cristiano. He deserves to be in jus as much as Messi.
If you consider longevity than by all means but at his best Ronaldinho was easily better than Cristiano.

There is a reason why and it has to do with how ronaldo has played for most of his career i.e like a machine compared to the more technically accomplished players i.e the fantasy players; the kind that capture your imagination.

And the reason why he plays the way he does is not by choice but because he simply does not possess the natural ability of the likes of messi, luis ronaldo or ronaldinho.

But fair play to him, he has worked hard and made the absolute best of what he has to be considered one of the best in history. But the lack of fantasy in his game will always be held against him when comparing players at their absolute peak.

Lynty

Ronaldinho-----------C Ronaldo----------- Messi

------------------Zidane -----------Iniesta

------------------------------Makelele

Marcelo--------Maldini--------Cannavarro--------Cafu

---------------------------------Buffon

Very tight between Xavi or Zidane.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
And the reason why he plays the way he does is not by choice but because he simply does not possess the natural ability of the likes of messi, luis ronaldo or ronaldinho.

But fair play to him, he has worked hard and made the absolute best of what he has to be considered one of the best in history. But the lack of fantasy in his game will always be held against him when comparing players at their absolute peak.
Well I’m curious here, what is Cristiano lacking? I can think of many qualities he has over these players.

He was always talented when he was raw and for some reason the vibe that I’m getting is that the fact he’s an extremely hard worker is used against him, it’s almost as if, had he crashed and burned at age 28, people would have more respect for his talent. He’s altered his game to be more efficient to have longevity.

Last edited:

Davìd Moyéz

Surprised to see Marcelo in a couple of teams. He'd probably be a contender for my overrated xi.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If you consider longevity than by all means but at his best Ronaldinho was easily better than Cristiano.
He was not "easily better" than Cristiano. He could do more things with the ball, but even if we're talking about their peaks and not about their longevity, there are many arguments for Cristiano there. I know that I'd rather watch Ronaldinho given the choice, but it doesn't mean that he was better — just more magical and entertaining.

Lynty

Surprised to see Marcelo in a couple of teams. He'd probably be a contender for my overrated xi.
Depends on what your after.

In my opinion, possibly one of the best attacking full backs ever. Questions over him defensively, but the teams he plays in rarely have to defend much

RUCK4444

No no no, peak Marcelo is incredible going forward.

In these lineups with goat players at CDM and throughout the defence you could more than afford a Marcelo and you would be mad not to.

Absolute joy to watch him at his peak.

RUCK4444

There is a reason why and it has to do with how ronaldo has played for most of his career i.e like a machine compared to the more technically accomplished players i.e the fantasy players; the kind that capture your imagination.

Yeah fair play he’s sort of alright isn’t he :rolleyes:

Peak Ronaldo beats Ronaldinho in stats for almost everything season on season.

Ronaldo is the GOAT when it comes to the will to win, therefore he invariably affects every game he plays in and in his peak that was every single game.

I love Ronaldinho but he’s not goat level with Ronnie and Messi at anything apart from wonderfully entertaining skill.

Bwuk

No manager in the world is picking Ronaldinho over Cristiano.

Davìd Moyéz

Depends on what your after.

In my opinion, possibly one of the best attacking full backs ever. Questions over him defensively, but the teams he plays in rarely have to defend much
Well who is this 'greatest XI' going to play against? If it's just going to compete in one of the domestic leagues then it's not a problem but if you put them against a similar greatest of all time side then I don't want my left back to have questions over him defensively.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He was not "easily better" than Cristiano. He could do more things with the ball, but even if we're talking about their peaks and not about their longevity, there are many arguments for Cristiano there. I know that I'd rather watch Ronaldinho given the choice, but it doesn't mean that he was better — just more magical and entertaining.
True. People forgot how good Ronaldo really was because of his longevity and change of playing style at later stage of his career.
At his best years, he avg scored 50-60 goals a season, made 15-18 assists, with average rating of around 8.4 (according to whoscored), avg 2-3 successful dribble per game. I doubt there is anyone “easily better” than that.

I don’t have Ronaldinho data back in his peak at Barca, but at Milan, his best year (at age of around 29-30) was like, 15 goals, 15 assists, avg rating around 7.4, successful dribble around 2 per game. That’s all I got. At his Barca peak year, he scored 26 goals, but no idea his assists no. (should be around 20?), no idea his avg rating (should be 8-8.5?), no idea his successful dribble (around 3-4 per game?)

For comparison, Messi peak years avg 50-60 goals, around 20 assists, with average rating of around 8.7, avg dribble around 4-5 per game. By the looks of it, only Messi can be considered “slightly better” than Ronaldo at their peak years.

But Ronaldinho was more magical and entertaining during his peak, actually more than anyone else, no doubt about that.

Last edited:

Houdini

I have chosen only players of my time.

Buffon/Edwin VDS/Schmeichel (hard to choose)
Cafu-Nesta-Maldini-Roberto Carlos
Makelele
Xavi Zidane
Messi Ronaldo/Van Basten CR7

Lynty

Well who is this 'greatest XI' going to play against? If it's just going to compete in one of the domestic leagues then it's not a problem but if you put them against a similar greatest of all time side then I don't want my left back to have questions over him defensively.
He's still a very good defender though. Just not GOAT level. The sacrifice is worth it in my eyes for what he brings going forward and linking up with wide attackers.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
People like to think they are edgy by not picking Cristiano. He deserves to be in jus as much as Messi.
This is what is so annoying about so many CR7 fans, is that they cannot accept other people have different views about him. Especially on instagram if there's a post omitting Ronaldo, the comment section is filled with angry teenage fans. Makes me sick.

I have followed both of their careers since the start and while CR7 has established himself among some of the greatest ever, he hasn't done anything to be placed above them.

I'll even be as generous to say that he has overtaken all-time offensive greats like Platini, Rummenigge or Zidane, but there's plenty of reason why people may choose any of Cruyff, Maradona, Messi or some others over him.

And then there's the playstyle. Teams Ronaldo have played in have always had to be built around him, how would he fare in a setup based on possession?
There are plenty reasons not to choose Ronaldo and there's no reason to take offense for it. I would have loved to see the names Cruyff, Robben and Van Basten in more of the teams posted here as I'm a huge fan of those three, but different people have different opinions. Take a look at the thread title.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This is what is so annoying about so many CR7 fans, is that they cannot accept other people have different views about him. Especially on instagram if there's a post omitting Ronaldo, the comment section is filled with angry teenage fans. Makes me sick.

I have followed both of their careers since the start and while CR7 has established himself among some of the greatest ever, he hasn't done anything to be placed above them.

I'll even be as generous to say that he has overtaken all-time offensive greats like Platini, Rummenigge or Zidane, but there's plenty of reason why people may choose any of Cruyff, Maradona, Messi or some others over him.

And then there's the playstyle. Teams Ronaldo have played in have always had to be built around him, how would he fare in a setup based on possession?

There are plenty reasons not to choose Ronaldo and there's no reason to take offense for it. I would have loved to see the names Cruyff, Robben and Van Basten in more of the teams posted here as I'm a huge fan of those three, but different people have different opinions. Take a look at the thread title.
I don’t have problem with people not selecting Ronaldo in their best 11, to be honest. There are many not picking Pelé, Maradona, Cruyff too, everyone preference is different.

Regarding how Ronaldo would fare in possession setup, I really have no idea. But for all teams Ronaldo had actually played (Man Utd, Real Madrid, Juventus, Portugal), he has been their central figure, as he is simply their best player, and all of them are successful, which is all that it matters.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aye. He's probably your go-to left-back if you were likely to get 90+ points and run over the top of teams all season. But if the league was more competitive and the opposition right-wingers consisted of Garrincha, Figo, Matthews, Robben, etc then you'd want someone more defensively secure.

Righteous Steps

Messi and Ronaldo is a stupid argument at this point, if you can’t see at this point that Messi has been a greater footballer then really I question your knowledge on football.

alexthelion

—————Edwin VdS——————
Cafu-Moore-Beckenbauer-Maldini
———Iniesta——Zidane——-
Best—-Maradonna—Cruyff
——————Pele—————-

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
That’s a weird criticism to have given there’s probably no other player at his level who has thrived in so many different setups. Madrid were the best possession team in the world at one point and they didn't seem to have any problems.

Motorman

----P.Schmeichel--
---------Cafu----S.Ramos----R.Ferdinand---A.Cole-
---S.Busquets--
--P.Scholes---A.Iniesta--
---L.Messi----L.Ronaldo---C.Ronaldo​

Subs: P.Cech, Marcelo, P.Maldini, Z.Zidane, Xavi, Ronaldinho, T.Henry,

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Based on players I've seen, except Maradona (only his last years).
I would play 442 in diamond because it is my favorite system. I want to have a 10 and a pivot / constructor / destroyer.
In the defense I wanted to include offensive full backs, such as Alves and R. Carlos, as well as Ramos, for his character, for appearing when necessary, for the ease of starting the clean play, and also for having someone a little dirty.
The problem with including Ramos and Roberto Carlos is that you need someone to correct their distractions and to be a pure defense, a "Cannavaro", but I still couldn't find the solution, so I stayed with Maldini (which I have copied from other posters). Very solid and perfect if I go crazy with Roberto Carlos in the middle.
For midfield I need someone to steal the ball, but that is not enough . The play would not start as smoothly. It has to be destructive and good with the ball. Matthaus is a good option but I didn't see him play or if I saw him I don't remember.
Xabi Alonso sounds good, as well as Busquets, but I stay with Redondo, out of sentimentality.

I imagine a 2020 match, with this intensity and I don't see Zidane or Iniesta resisting. I think the midfield would collapse. I do not know if I need so many "similar" profiles if I have Maradona . So I am going to stay with Modric, who I think has a lot of characteristics, resistance and good defensive work (at least 2 or 3 years ago). The other position was difficult to decide. I may be too defensive , but I would play Davids. Stamina, going up and down and able to totally free Maradona , while not constantly expose Redondo and the full backs.
For the attack I would like a fast forward, good against the goalkeeper, and Ronaldo Nazario is a great option.
For the other position I would like a good header, small area forward. I think Cristiano meets all the conditions.

Kahn
Alves Ramos Maldini R.Carlos
Redondo
Modric Davids
Maradona
Ronaldo Cristiano

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
de Gea

Alexander-Arnold
Baresi
van Dijk
Robertson

Keane
Scholes

Adama Traoré
Maradona
C. Ronaldo
Messi

In their prime, the best players in each position I've ever seen. lol
We certainly have a lot of "best evers" playing right now. We certainly are lucky 7 of the best ever players applying their trade week in and week out. Especially Traore. What a generational talent

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Upgrading Barcelona, the most dominating team I've ever seen.

C Ronaldo -----------Messi ----------- Gullit

------------------Iniesta ----------- Xavi

------------------------------Rijkaard

R. Carlos--------Kohler--------Baresi--------Cafu

---------------------------------Neuer

Eddy_JukeZ

Ronaldo Nazario-Pele
Maradona
Iniesta-Xavi
Matthaus
Maldini-Beckenbauer-Nesta-Alves
Neuer

I went with something that I think could play well on the field. Basically Pep's Barcelona on steroids.

Pele and Ronaldo De Lima are self explanatory. Pele is the most complete forward ever. Ronaldo at his physical peak was a devastating force of nature.

Didn't go for Messi, because I think Maradona suits the team the front 2 better. He's more adept to playing deeper than Messi IMO.

Xavi-Iniesta to monopolize the ball. Xavi is the greatest 'controlling' midfielder ever for me.

I know Matthaus was more of a box-to-box midfielder in his pomp, but he should have no problems 'holding' in this team and his overall ability should shine.

Maldini is basically a super-charged Abidal from Pep's Barcelona. Beckenbauer for his leadership and distribution. Nesta for his superb reading of the game.

I opted for Alves over Cafu/Capita controversially perhaps, but I think he'd be better suited to playing the pressing game.